Hi everyone,

I currently have a Q10, and was looking to upgrade to something different. I really like the Passport, but it's too expensive PLUS a two year contract with my carrier, the Leap and the Z30 are $0 options.

I was wondering if someone could explain the real world difference in performance between the two, and how they compare to my Q.

I know the specs, I'm just looking for personal experiences with both devices in terms of lag, battery life etc.

I love the Q10, but the double typing and horrendous lag (since the last update) are making me want to try something new.

Posted via CB10 on BB10 from Q10
    06-10-15 02:39 PM
    Hi everyone,

I currently have a Q10, and was looking to upgrade to something different. I really like the Passport, but it's too expensive PLUS a two year contract with my carrier, the Leap and the Z30 are $0 options.

I was wondering if someone could explain the real world difference in performance between the two, and how they compare to my Q.

I know the specs, I'm just looking for personal experiences with both devices in terms of lag, battery life etc.

I love the Q10, but the double typing and horrendous lag (since the last update) are making me want to try something new.

If you have the option between the Z30 and the Leap both for $0...go for the Z30 for sure!!!
    Elite1 likes this.
    06-10-15 02:46 PM
    Agree. Have both and the leap hasn't worked properly since I got it. However I have three z30's - one had screen smashes, the other has been inmersed in water twice and the third is new. All work well with no issues. The leap however not so much.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 05:45 PM
    Z30 features over Leap

Faster 1.7ghz cpu vs 1.5
    More powerful graphics (if you're a gamer and care)
    NFC (tap to pay, tap to share, tap to setup etc)
    802.11n/ac wifi (2.4 and 5Ghz wifi band support) vs 802.11N (2.4ghz)
    Micro-hdmi output
    Oh, and the awesome Z30 speakers which were arguably the best sounding last year. I had one, thing was crazy loud and super clear on hands free listening to music

Started bringing a few leaps into the office as z30s were locally sold out. So far the Leap has been fine. It's basically a Z10 with larger screen, much larger battery and a few rarely used features missing to lower cost.

Posted via CB with my Passport to productivity
    06-10-15 06:37 PM
    Z30 features over Leap

Faster 1.7ghz cpu vs 1.5
    More powerful graphics (if you're a gamer and care)
    NFC (tap to pay, tap to share, tap to setup etc)
    802.11n/ac wifi (2.4 and 5Ghz wifi band support) vs 802.11N (2.4ghz)
    Micro-hdmi output
    Oh, and the awesome Z30 speakers which were arguably the best sounding last year. I had one, thing was crazy loud and super clear on hands free listening to music

Started bringing a few leaps into the office as z30s were locally sold out. So far the Leap has been fine. It's basically a Z10 with larger screen, much larger battery and a few rarely used features missing to lower cost.

USB OTG

Posted on CB10 using my Z30 STA 100-5 on OS 10.3.2.2204
    DarkJoker33 and user5240 like this.
    06-11-15 12:01 AM
    The real world difference is that someone who buys a Leap, buys it to get things done. Calls, emails and texts.

Not to tap and pay or whatever.

I have a Leap. Perfect device. Does what it's indented to do... Be a communication tool.

Posted from my BlackBerry Leap
    Thalestr and brunoxrs like this.
    06-11-15 07:32 AM
    I switched from Z30 to Leap. Glad I did, no real world difference for me. Same great battery life, MUCH brighter screen, and I like the design better. Feels better in hand. However I also do not use NFC nor have I found a situation where the WiFi or processor speed advantages of the Z30 have been an issue for me. I don't like the speaker phone compared to Z30 but it's not terrible.

Posted via CB10
    nightridah, brunoxrs and GeoK like this.
    06-11-15 12:27 PM
    Thanks for your responses. I've been going nuts trying to consider all my options, and for what I use it for I think the Leap might meet my needs, be free on contract, and give me something new to try (with the 5" all touch form factor), while still being BB10.

We'll see.

06-11-15 03:17 PM
    Your quote below and Rofney Wilder's has helped a lot.
    I am thinking to get a second phone for travel. So that I can swap out sim cards and save a bit on roaming charges. The Leap might just be the thing. Another have anything else to say on battery or?

I switched from Z30 to Leap. Glad I did, no real world difference for me. Same great battery life, MUCH brighter screen, and I like the design better. Feels better in hand. However I also do not use NFC nor have I found a situation where the WiFi or processor speed advantages of the Z30 have been an issue for me. I don't like the speaker phone compared to Z30 but it's not terrible.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 12:26 PM
    Your quote below and Rofney Wilder's has helped a lot.
    I am thinking to get a second phone for travel. So that I can swap out sim cards and save a bit on roaming charges. The Leap might just be the thing. Another have anything else to say on battery or?
    Turn off LTE and run in 4G mode, that'll help your battery life considerably. Depending on if you play games or spend a lot of time surfing and watching youtube, you'll likely get 2-3 days off a single charge, I have multiple Z30 users who only do basic email and odd phone call and get 3 days, it's kinda insane.

06-13-15 04:42 PM
    I've had the pleasure of demoing a Leap as my buddy works for BlackBerry. Overall the design is nice and the screen is extremely bright.

But the Z30 IMO, is still an all round better device for the money. My question to the OP is, why sign a contract? Unless the 2 year agreement from your carrier maintains or provides a better quality of mobile service, signing a 2 year agreement to reduce the handset cost of the Leap seems silly IMO. Especially so when a Z30 (which spec wise is a better device) can still be obtained now for as low as $199 to $250 off contract.

If I were the OP, I'd save my contact renewal for the next all-touch BlackBerry or slider to come and just pick up a Z30 off contract to tie me over.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    Paul86, bigjman, GeoK and 1 others like this.
    06-13-15 07:13 PM
    Money's tight! I'm not planning to switch carriers anyways, so I figure why not get myself a new phone without spending a dime.

I've always done contracts anyways. It's not like I'm going to save any money by buying a device outright. My phone plan is going to stay the same.

Not to mention, the contract can be cancelled at anytime by paying out my remaining device balance since new rules came into effect.

Win win for me.

06-14-15 02:21 PM
    It's all about paying nothing upfront for me. Otherwise, the Q10 I currently have is going to have to do. Double typing/lag and all.

06-14-15 02:32 PM
    Use er' till the keys fall off, then write out the letters with a sharpie.

brunoxrs likes this.
    06-14-15 04:38 PM
    Use er' till the keys fall off, then write out the letters with a sharpie.

LOL. I may have to if I can't figure out this upgrade situation!

06-14-15 08:02 PM
    If you want a keyboard phone that works great, get a Q5, otherwise you can't lose with a Z10.

Both are awesome.

bigjman likes this.
    06-14-15 08:09 PM
    Future OS support is doubt for Z30

Z3,10.3.2.2204
    06-14-15 08:10 PM
    It boils down to what carrier you use. If it's AT&T, then the Leap is what you'll want because of the LTE. Otherwise, if you can get past the Z30 screen (I did NOT like the Z30 AMOLED in comparison to the Leap) and you're on a different carrier, go for the Z30. Spec-wise, there's not enough disparity in performance to see a difference. I'm rocking the Leap on AT&T right now and I love this phone. Great screen and battery life, but the speaker is a little lacking. That, however, isn't that important to me, nor is the HDMI.

Imo, if you could take the screen and LTE bands from the Leap, and stick it on a Z30, BlackBerry would have made the perfect phone. But, I digress...

Posted via CB10
    brunoxrs and lift like this.
    06-14-15 11:25 PM
    Future OS support is doubt for Z30

Z3,10.3.2.2204
    The Z30, Leap, and Classic all share the identical OS and radio. As long as any one of them gets updates - they all do.

Your Z3 on the other hand...

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2204
    06-14-15 11:28 PM
    The Z30, Leap, and Classic all share the identical OS and radio. As long as any one of them gets updates - they all do.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2204
    Lol

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 11:33 PM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2204
    Thank u conite, already ordered Leap today

Z3,10.3.2.2204
    Elite1 likes this.
    06-15-15 02:56 AM
    Ended up deciding to take the "affordable" plunge, and I ordered myself a Leap.

We'll see if It's what I expected.

06-17-15 06:33 PM
    The real world difference is that someone who buys a Leap, buys it to get things done. Calls, emails and texts.

Not to tap and pay or whatever.

I have a Leap. Perfect device. Does what it's indented to do... Be a communication tool.

I get the point you're trying to make but you're basically contradicting one sentence of your post with another. "... buys it to get things done.... Not to tap and pay or whatever." Tapping to pay is literally getting a thing done, and an everyday task at that.

Via CB10 on this beast they call the Passport
    06-17-15 06:36 PM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2204
    Awesome reply. Where do these people get these ideas. It would have been ok if he had said "in my uneducated poorly researched opinion,....."

Posted on CB10 using my Z30 STA 100-5 on OS 10.3.2.2204
    06-17-15 08:03 PM
    I get the point you're trying to make but you're basically contradicting one sentence of your post with another. "... buys it to get things done.... Not to tap and pay or whatever." Tapping to pay is literally getting a thing done, and an everyday task at that.

Via CB10 on this beast they call the Passport
    I think, for him, it gets things done since that's what he only does...text, call and email, and he doesn't need to tap to pay.

I for one am looking to buy a new BlackBerry to. Coming from zed10, looking to get either the Leap or the zed30. Still reveling and studying my options.

But, just like the early poster, I don't need to tap and pay. In fact, I've never used my zed10's nfc, compass and hdmi.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 03:23 AM
64 123