USB OTG

Posted on CB10 using my Z30 STA 100-5 on OS 10.3.2.2204
    Yup. This is the reason I bought the Classic over the Leap. I'd like to try a simpler phone, and I love the design of the Leap (especially with the blue or green snap case). But no USB OTG was a deal-breaker for me.

Is USB OTG really that expensive to implement?

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 12:44 PM
    Just got my Leap yesterday and here are my impressions so far. The build quality is better than I thought it would be. It seems like a very solid piece of equipment.

I wasn't expecting much from the screen seeing how it has a much lower pixel density than my Q10, but I was VERY pleasantly surprised. The screen is bright even on its lowest setting. When turned up to maximum it is a beautiful screen. Bright colour, and good contrasts.

Haven't installed anything Android yet, so it's running very smoothly. The flick to type feature is really nice, and the auto correct seems to be very good as well.

It runs fast, for most things but I have noticed some lag from time to time. It's not a high end device anyways, so I wasn't expecting perfection.

Don't know how I feel about the touch screen typing though. I've only ever had keyboard BlackBerry devices and the jury is still out on whether or not I can live with a touch screen permanently.

Time will tell.

All in all, for my first touch screen device, I'm really impressed.

Posted via CB10
    lift, adonesc and Elite1 like this.
    06-20-15 12:23 PM
    Money's tight! I'm not planning to switch carriers anyways, so I figure why not get myself a new phone without spending a dime.

I've always done contracts anyways. It's not like I'm going to save any money by buying a device outright. My phone plan is going to stay the same.

Not to mention, the contract can be cancelled at anytime by paying out my remaining device balance since new rules came into effect.

Win win for me.

Posted via CB10 on BB10 from Q10
    Fair enough, if money is tight that's understandable. I guess I assumed $200 - $250 out of pocket for a Z30 wasn�t going to break the bank so to speak.

I've worked in the telecommunications industry for many years, several of which selling cellular and other residential services. My personal rule of thumb is, only sign a contract if you're happy with the plan you have and if the service provider agrees to maintain that service plan if you resign. Or you negotiate a better service plan altogether. Phones are always subsided upon signing of a new agreement so how is it beneficial, if you either can't keep your existing rate plan or have to switch to a "NEWER" rate plan that will cost you an additional amount every month?

I'm not saying any of the above scenarios applies to you per say but I've seen these situations occur. The other benefit of being able to purchase out right is that you bank your contract renewal for when something like the Slider comes out, then you can renew and get it at a subsidies price. Which is exactly why I bought my Z30 out right for $250 at the time, even though I have an upgrade available from my last contract renew on the Z10.

Food for thought!

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    06-20-15 10:02 PM
    Fair enough, if money is tight that's understandable. I guess I assumed $200 - $250 out of pocket for a Z30 wasn�t going to break the bank so to speak.

I've worked in the telecommunications industry for many years, several of which selling cellular and other residential services. My personal rule of thumb is, only sign a contract if you're happy with the plan you have and if the service provider agrees to maintain that service plan if you resign. Or you negotiate a better service plan altogether. Phones are always subsided upon signing of a new agreement so how is it beneficial, if you either can't keep your existing rate plan or have to switch to a "NEWER" rate plan that will cost you an additional amount every month?

I'm not saying any of the above scenarios applies to you per say but I've seen these situations occur. The other benefit of being able to purchase out right is that you bank your contract renewal for when something like the Slider comes out, then you can renew and get it at a subsidies price. Which is exactly why I bought my Z30 out right for $250 at the time, even though I have an upgrade available from my last contract renew on the Z10.

Food for thought!

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    Valid points.

My contract went down $5 a month with a few more features so I was fine with it.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 12:17 AM
    What worries me about getting a z30 is being sold a second hand unit as new since there are so few around.
    At least with the leap you would probably get a new unit unless conned.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 03:35 AM
    The Z30 have hardware specs and features that satisfies users of different world.
    However... the only thing that bugs me not to get it... is the user non-removble battery... It still trounce the latest all touch released LEAP.
    06-21-15 03:55 AM
    More powerful graphics (if you're a gamer and care)
    We don't live in 1999 anymore, when 3D graphics cards were only useful for gaming (concerning regular users). Navigation apps i.e. profit of the faster GPU, too, even web browsing is on Z30 is a lot faster because of GPU-acceleration. Stating that the faster graphics would only be useful for gamers is just so wrong...
    06-21-15 06:08 AM
    Valid points.

My contract went down $5 a month with a few more features so I was fine with it.

Posted via CB10
    Nope that's a good contact renewal for sure. Can't beat cheaper and more service.

Good stuff!

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    06-21-15 07:03 AM
    If you want a keyboard phone that works great, get a Q5, otherwise you can't lose with a Z10.

Both are awesome.

Posted from my BlackBerry Leap
    That's good advice. The Q5 is a damn good phone that gets underrated but to me it's just as good.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 04:17 PM
    How is the one handed use of both these phones?

Love the one handed use on the z10 and the ability to swipe pretty much anywhere on the screen with my thumb.

How is the one.handed use on the leap and z10, still good?

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 04:46 PM
    How is the one handed use of both these phones?

Love the one handed use on the z10 and the ability to swipe pretty much anywhere on the screen with my thumb.

How is the one.handed use on the leap and z10, still good?

Posted via CB10
    Well, I can still do it. Clearly not as easy as with the Z10, but that is not a dealbreaker for me personally. Also to keep in mind that the Leap is somewhat heavier than the Z10...not by much, but if you have smaller hands it might affect the one-hand usage...LOL!...

Cartman says: Screw you guys I'm going home!
    Last edited by adonesc; 06-24-15 at 07:30 PM.
    06-21-15 07:28 PM
    IMHO, Easiest choice is Z30

Specs-wise this is the order from lower to highest:

Z3 - Z10 - Leap - Z30 - Classic

OT : Though I kinda wish that we get touch but in the specs of the Passport or powerful. Maybe the next-gen Slider is. Also, wouldn't they mind to have the Android Runtime utilize at least 1/2 of whatever cores the phone has, especially if they plan to go Octa-Core.
    06-22-15 01:23 AM
    We don't live in 1999 anymore, when 3D graphics cards were only useful for gaming (concerning regular users). Navigation apps i.e. profit of the faster GPU, too, even web browsing is on Z30 is a lot faster because of GPU-acceleration. Stating that the faster graphics would only be useful for gamers is just so wrong...
    Not something the average user would ever notice. Between my Z10, Z30 and Passport there is no discernible difference in graphics performance on maps. Things like using youtube in browser also have no noticeable difference in performance either as the lower end graphics of the z10 and leap are more than enough for standard use and even most 3d racing and fps games I piddled around with ran fine on Z10 so leap will be similar.
    06-23-15 01:50 PM
    Between my Z10, Z30 and Passport there is no discernible difference in graphics performance on maps.
    Definitely wrong when using a modern map app (like Sygic) which are not available as native apps of course (the preinstalled map app is a bad joke)

Things like using youtube in browser also have no noticeable difference in performance either
    Well, videos may not load faster (as the speed is most of the times limited by the Youtube servers) but nearly every web page itself renders MUCH faster on Z30 and Passport.

as the lower end graphics of the z10 and leap are more than enough for standard use
    The whole system is much more fluid on Z30/Passport. Definitely comprehensible to every "standard user". Once you used it, the S4 Plus devices feel like snails. And that is exactly what is what Leap is in 2015.
    06-23-15 02:11 PM
    I've found the Leap's Web browsing to be miles better than my Q10. No lag, very fast rendering.

I'm very happy with it. Even the performance of Android apps is good. I was concerned that it would be really laggy like my Q, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Google Play runs like a charm.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 04:15 PM
    It's all about optimization.

The iPhone 6 has worse specs than the Leap on paper (slightly slower processor speed, and less RAM), but meanwhile it blows it out of the water, along with most flagships around.

At the end of the day, you get what's works for your purposes.

200Mhz of additional clock speed, and a slightly upgraded GPU isn't going to make a world of difference from the Z30 to the Leap.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 04:24 PM
    Finally I got my new Z30, I am happy with it, it s really fast compare to my Z3, I heard about leap comes with bright display compare to Z30

Z30, 10.3.2.2252
    06-24-15 05:07 AM
    Well done. Good to hear you got one. Still contemplating here. Is a matter of when and how really. I have found a shop here that has some around $300 new. Seems quite a lot

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 05:27 AM
    I read a lot of these comments on various threads from people who seem to take personal offence if anyone considers buying the Leap over a Z30...as if it has some kind of impact on them.

People are free to consider whatever device they want, compare them, review and criticise them etc., and ultimately purchase them or not.

As I've said on other treads, and will reiterate it here once again, I really don't understand this Z30 versus Leap argument. We all like BlackBerry, it's devices. OS etc.,and as such have the choices before us as to what type or model we want.

The Z30 is a great device, helluva build, great design and specs which make it a viable alternative to the Leap and even Passport. It's still miles away from anything Apple and Samsung have had to offer over the past two years.

Yet the Leap is no pushover either. I seriously considered buying the Z30. But because it is an almost two years old device, and the fact that I liked the Leap's design more and that the missing features of the Leap versus the Z30, did not affect me personally as much as others, in the end I decided to go with the Leap.

For me it has a good price point, performs well and does exactly what I need it to do with the same BB10 efficiency and smoothness.

That is all. We should consider ourselves lucky that we even get to have access to these devices and have the luxury to debate topics like these given what else is going on in the world.

Let's not look even more ridiculous by being petty and narrow-minded...

Last edited by adonesc; 06-24-15 at 09:52 PM.
    brunoxrs and lift like this.
    06-24-15 07:51 PM
    I read a lot of these comments on various threads from people who seem to take personal offence if anyone considers buying the Leap over a Z30...as if it has some kind of impact on them.

People are free to consider whatever device they want, compare them, review and criticise them etc., and ultimately purchase them or not.

As I've said on other treads, and will reiterate it here once again, I really don't understand this Z30 versus Leap argument. We all like BlackBerry, it's devices. OS etc.,and as such have the choices before us as to what type or model we want.

The Z30 is a great device, helluva build, great design and specs which make it a viable alternative to the Leap and even Passport. It's still miles away from anything Apple and Samsung have had to offer over for past two years.

Yet the Leap is no pushover either. I seriously considered buying the Z30. But because it is an almost two years old device, and the fact that I liked the Leap's design more and that the missing features of the Leap versus the Z30, did not affect me personally as much as others, in the end I decided to go with the Leap.

For me it has a good price point, performs well and does exactly what I need it to do with the same BB10 efficiency and smoothness.

That is all. We should consider ourselves lucky that we even get to have access to these devices and have the luxury to debate topics like these given what else is going on in the world.

Let's not look even more ridiculous by being petty and narrow-minded...

^ Excellent points. Precisely my reasoning for purchasing the Leap.

Posted via CB10
    adonesc likes this.
    06-24-15 09:08 PM
    It boils down to what carrier you use. If it's AT&T, then the Leap is what you'll want because of the LTE. Otherwise, if you can get past the Z30 screen (I did NOT like the Z30 AMOLED in comparison to the Leap) and you're on a different carrier, go for the Z30. Spec-wise, there's not enough disparity in performance to see a difference. I'm rocking the Leap on AT&T right now and I love this phone. Great screen and battery life, but the speaker is a little lacking. That, however, isn't that important to me, nor is the HDMI.

Imo, if you could take the screen and LTE bands from the Leap, and stick it on a Z30, BlackBerry would have made the perfect phone. But, I digress...

Posted via CB10
    Completely agree! I didn't like the Z30 screen either. I have a Passport but I purchased the Leap recently during the bundle offer a couple of weeks ago on shop at BlackBerry site for 200. Let me just say this Leap is really nice! The features the Leap is missing vs the Z30 are non existent. I love the phone. I loved my Z10 which still works great today. Leap screen so much better than the Z30.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-15 10:28 PM
    Oh, no...how dare I suggest that Apple and Samsung offer nothing special with their overpriced devices?! Oh no, the inhumanity!

I guess it is more reasonable and factual to waste your money on devices which are basically performing the same tasks as the Leap...but cost more...

If people can afford and want to do that, well lucky them! I can only get one device at a time. This time that device was the BlackBerry Leap. It fits all my requirements as a user and performs as I need it to, when I need it to.

Not much else to add...

Attachment 359720
    Last edited by adonesc; 06-27-15 at 11:26 AM.
    06-27-15 08:33 AM
    Z30 features over Leap

... 802.11n/ac wifi (2.4 and 5Ghz wifi band support) vs 802.11N (2.4ghz)...
    While you're correct that Z30 is dual-band Wi-Fi vs Leap being single-band, I just wanted to point out that the Z30 does not have 802.11ac Wi-Fi. Of BB10 devices released so far, only Passport has AC Wi-Fi.
    06-30-15 03:56 AM
    IMHO, Easiest choice is Z30

Specs-wise this is the order from lower to highest:

Z3 - Z10 - Leap - Z30 - Classic
    We're straying off-topic here a bit, but how is Classic better spec-wise than Z30? The only clear spec advantage for Classic is more LTE bands. The debatable ones include actual Corning Gorilla Glass and SlimPort. Meanwhile Z30 has same dpi but larger, higher-res 16:9 screen, better CPU and much better GPU. Z30 has larger battery, but that's not apples to apples as it has to power a larger screen. Z30 has Wi-Fi Direct too, if anyone cares. (I don't.) Otherwise most specs are the same.

OT : Though I kinda wish that we get touch but in the specs of the Passport or powerful.
    Totally agree! Except for the "kinda" part. I want this, yesterday.
    06-30-15 04:06 AM
    It's all about optimization...

... 200Mhz of additional clock speed, and a slightly upgraded GPU isn't going to make a world of difference from the Z30 to the Leap.
    Just for the record, it's more than a slightly upgraded GPU. The Z30's Adreno 320 GPU gets about double the performance of the Adreno 305 found in Leap. (Leap's is in turn better than Adreno 225 found in a Z10 or Classic.)

I've never compared results with nav apps as another member mentioned, so I couldn't say. I can tell you that many games render noticeably better on Z30. It's really observable if you play a game with textured background that is also fast-moving, like Despicable Me Minion Rush for example.

The clock speed of CPU doesn't sound significant, but I can tell you apps open more quickly and web pages render faster on the Z30 compared to Z10 (same CPU as Leap).

Now to put this in perspective, I believe many users wouldn't notice or care about the graphics difference. Some will, if they are more passionate about games & graphics, but most probably won't think the Leap is bad or lacking. Likewise, most users won't have a Z30 sitting beside their Leap to compare website rendering. The Leap will perform acceptably, to say the least.
    Maxxxpower likes this.
    06-30-15 04:23 AM
64 123