Hi. I have been reading positive reviews about the Leap smartphone and BB 10.3. As an Android user i find the OS to be ideal with my needs & lifestyle. I had a Z30 last year but sold ti due to (you guessed it) apps and the OS in general. But i am curious and want to ask these questions:
    1. Gestures & Multitasking
    I heard there can be multiple windows/apps open at the same time? Can i cancel or stop all of them all together just like Samsung or Sony phones?
    2. Photos & Photos Sharing
    Can i share/forward photos to 3rd-party apps such as to email, Evernote, Twitter etc. or do i have to go to the app to that? Can i choose multiple photos to send to anyone via bluetooth or any other 3rd-party means? Can i quickly view the photo taken with a swipe to the left (like Android) or from a small windows at the bottom?
    3. App store
    Let's face it...both the Amazon App Store and BB World is pathetic compared to Android & iOS. Forget about sideloading apps. I want to ask is there any other proper 3rd-party app stores i can download? And will Android apps guaranteed to work or run?
    Also, If i download Evernote on the Amazon App Store and on a 3rd-party store will there be a "clash" on who or what gets updated with new features, etc.?
    4. Music
    From the in-house music player can i set an MP3 song as a ringtone? Can i also create Playlists, Queue next song, edit equaliser, delete entire albums or singles all on-the-fly? I also heard sound quality is on the low/quiet side when connected with earphones? True?
    5. Notifications
    Can i turn off or on notifications of individual apps just like Android to save battery?
    6. Shortcuts & Toggles
    The convenience of a drop down shortcut toggles with Android makes it ultra easy to toggle on & off stuff such as wifi, bluetooth, etc. Can i also do this with BB 10.3? And can i customise to my hearts content? Is there a flashlight toggle?
    7. Google-centric apps
    Daily i use Google apps such as Maps (with the voice walking navigation), Google Drive, Photos, Gmail & Keep. Are there clients or alternative apps that i can download anywhere so i can keep up with my Google services?
    8. Camera
    Does the camera have a Manual Mode much like an iPhone where you can control the contrast, ISO, etc. on-the-fly? And how quick is the shutter/in-between shots? I also heard HDR is very slow on BB 10.3. Any truth?
    9. Offline reading
    When i see an article online i'd like to be reading ti sometimes offline when travelling on the Underground or areas with weak signal. Is this possible? And is it saved like a .pdf file (similar to a news article) or save as like online?
    10. Keyboard
    Please do tell me that there is a swipe option (sliding fingers on the screen) much like Android & iOS?
    11. Chromecast
    Can anyone recommend a good 1st-party or 3rd-party Chromecast app for BB 10.3? An app to cast/stream my music to my TV via Chromecast?
    I am asking these questions because there are no Blackberry phones sold in the high street and if there are they are either non-working/demo modes or the OS is not updated. So i wish someone can enlighten me here.
    Many thanks.
    Last edited by Gino Guillermo; 10-18-15 at 11:21 AM.
    10-18-15 10:50 AM
    Hi. I have been reading positive reviews about the Leap smartphone and BB 10.3. As an Android user i find the OS to be ideal with my needs & lifestyle. I had a Z30 last year but sold ti due to (you guessed it) apps and the OS in general. But i am curious and want to ask these questions:
    1. Gestures & Multitasking
    I heard there can be multiple windows/apps open at the same time? Can i cancel or stop all of them all together just like Samsung or Sony phones?
    2. Photos & Photos Sharing
    Can i share/forward photos to 3rd-party apps such as to email, Evernote, Twitter etc. or do i have to go to the app to that? Can i choose multiple photos to send to anyone via bluetooth or any other 3rd-party means? Can i quickly view the photo taken with a swipe to the left (like Android) or from a small windows at the bottom?
    3. App store
    Let's face it...both the Amazon App Store and BB World is pathetic compared to Android & iOS. Forget about sideloading apps. I want to ask is there any other proper 3rd-party app stores i can download? And will Android apps guaranteed to work or run?
    Also, If i download Evernote on the Amazon App Store and on a 3rd-party store will there be a "clash" on who or what gets updated with new features, etc.?
    4. Music
    From the in-house music player can i set an MP3 song as a ringtone? Can i also create Playlists, Queue next song, edit equaliser, delete entire albums or singles all on-the-fly? I also heard sound quality is on the low/quiet side when connected with earphones? True?
    5. Notifications
    Can i turn off or on notifications of individual apps just like Android to save battery?
    6. Shortcuts & Toggles
    The convenience of a drop down shortcut toggles with Android makes it ultra easy to toggle on & off stuff such as wifi, bluetooth, etc. Can i also do this with BB 10.3? And can i customise to my hearts content? Is there a flashlight toggle?
    7. Google-centric apps
    Daily i use Google apps such as Maps (with the voice walking navigation), Google Drive, Photos, Gmail & Keep. Are there clients or alternative apps that i can download anywhere so i can keep up with my Google services?
    8. Camera
    Does the camera have a Manual Mode much like an iPhone where you can control the contrast, ISO, etc. on-the-fly? And how quick is the shutter/in-between shots? I also heard HDR is very slow on BB 10.3. Any truth?
    9. Offline reading
    When i see an article online i'd like to be reading ti sometimes offline when travelling on the Underground or areas with weak signal. Is this possible? And is it saved like a .pdf file (similar to a news article) or save as like online?
    10. Keyboard
    Please do tell me that there is a swipe option (sliding fingers on the screen) much like Android & iOS?
    11. Chromecast
    Can anyone recommend a good 1st-party or 3rd-party Chromecast app for BB 10.3? An app to cast/stream my music to my TV via Chromecast?
    I am asking these questions because there are no Blackberry phones sold in the high street and if there are they are either non-working/demo modes or the OS is not updated. So i wish someone can enlighten me here.
    Many thanks.
    Firstly, I'd like to mention that the Z30 is more powerful than the Leap. If you had problems with the Z30 that made you sell it, it'd be even worse with the Leap.

1. Yes, you can have apps running in the background like windows. No, you cannot close all of them down at the same time, but you can do it quickly.

2. Yes to all.

3. You can download and use the Google Play Store on your BlackBerry 10 device. It's the best Android app store existing on BlackBerry 10.

4. Yes, you can set an MP3 as a ringtone. Yes, you can create playlists, queue next songs. As for the equaliser, you can't edit it, but you can choose from a set of default equalisers. Yes, you can delete songs and albums. As for the earphones, I've never had any problems with the volume of it.

5. Yes, yes you can.

6. As of 10.3.0, you can customise quick settings. As of 10.2.0, there has been an integrated flashlight, so none of this should be a problem.

7. I can't answer this one for you. I don't use them.

8. HDR on BlackBerry 10 takes about a second or two. No problem for me. As for editing, you can just use the built-in photo editor in the device.

9. Yes, there is an option to save websites for offline reading.

10. Nope. No Swype. Though, you can install it to work only if you use Android apps. For native apps, no luck. The only keyboard you can use on BlackBerry 10 is the default one.

Posted via  Z30 STA100-2 | 10.3.2.2339
    Gino Guillermo likes this.
    10-18-15 11:55 AM
    Thank you so much for the replies. I have more queries for you though:

Re the camera photos someone told me you cannot swipe to the left to view the last photo taken. There is a small window/thumbnail on the bottom to indicate the last photo taken. Can you please re-clarify this.

How can i install the Google Play Store on the Z30 or any BB10.3 devices? And even if i install it is there a guarantee that most apps (and to what percentage...50%? 60%? 70%? 80%? 90%?) will run smoothly?

Is there any other third-party apps that i can install? Or a third-party website to look out for apk files?

If i install a Swype ketboard off Amazon App Store or somwhere can i set that keyboard as the default one instead of the Blackberry's?

Any thoughts on the stock music player? You did say yes to all my questions but is the actual sound quality and loudness more than satisfactory to you? What earphones are you using?
    10-18-15 04:03 PM

Re the camera photos someone told me you cannot swipe to the left to view the last photo taken. There is a small window/thumbnail on the bottom to indicate the last photo taken. Can you please re-clarify this.

How can i install the Google Play Store on the Z30 or any BB10.3 devices? And even if i install it is there a guarantee that most apps (and to what percentage...50%? 60%? 70%? 80%? 90%?) will run smoothly?

Is there any other third-party apps that i can install? Or a third-party website to look out for apk files?

If i install a Swype ketboard off Amazon App Store or somwhere can i set that keyboard as the default one instead of the Blackberry's?

Any thoughts on the stock music player? You did say yes to all my questions but is the actual sound quality and loudness more than satisfactory to you? What earphones are you using?
    To the best of my knowledge you can't use other keyboards beside the default BlackBerry one.

The Google Play store/Play services can be installed using a simple method. Search this forum for Cobalt Google Play and you should have no issues loading it up.

As far as apps working, I haven't found any that I need that don't work. I have about 30 apps and games downloaded and installed from Google Play and they all work relatively well. They won't be as snappy as they would be on a more powerful (or native Android device) , and I'm sure there are a bunch that you'll find don't work. You'd have to install them and try them out. One thing I've noticed is sometimes when I install a new app from Google Play, the first time it's used it either crashes, or shows a black screen. Once you've closed it and re-opened it, everything works fine.

The default music player is relatively basic, but gets the job done. A simple equalizer with presets works well to change the sound quality, but you'll want to use earphones to listen as the Leap's rear facing speaker is not very strong, and has been know to rattle a bit at high volume levels.

Out of curiosity, what made you consider the Leap? You're obviously experienced with Android, what would make you want to change?

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 05:47 PM
    As far as App stores, 10.3 made it possible to install APK's directly from practically any source. So whatever website you can find an APK, it can be installed directly through the BlackBerry Browser.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 05:49 PM

When you take a picture on the camera, you can see a small box at the bottom left. You can drag your finger from that box to the centre of the screen to view the photo.
    Questions about Leap from an Android user-img_20151019_100144.jpg

If you install the Google Play Store, you won't need a website to download APKs because the Play Store will do that for you.

To make things more simple, if by chance you figure out how to use the Swype keyboard, it'll only work in Android apps. Using any other app, you'll be forced to use the BlackBerry 10 keyboard. It's completely inconvenient and I don't recommend that you do it. Get used to the BlackBerry 10 keyboard. It's amazing.

I use the BlackBerry speakers than come with the Z30 (I believe they're of higher quality than most devices.
    I've never had problem with the volume. It usually depends on the copy of the track you download.

10-18-15 09:06 PM
    Do you think Snap is a better alternative/choice than 1Mobile market et al?

Now talking about the issue of "most" apps. I appreciate that the meaning of "most" can mean anytthing to anyone. But let me change the question. How many percentage of Android apps downloaded (from 1Mobile market/Aptoide,etc.) will run with no issues? Would Snap be a better way forward if i want Android AND Google apps? Or just install the full Google Play store? I cannot live without my Google Maps, Google Drive, Photos, Google Now & Google+ at the very least and i MUST have them. Will these apps guarantee to work you think?

My old Z30 also had a very painfully slow bootup times compared to even a mid-range Android phone like Moto G or Galaxy J5. It seems to bootup over a minute. has this been trimmed to half or even greater?

Are BB phone camera ever good in low-light and no issues or orange/purple fringing or over processing of flash at night? The reviews i have read seem to suggest not good in low light.

The only reason why i want to try the Leap is because of its cheapness. And the reason why i want to try BB OS 10.3 is the way it handles multitasking and gestures. I can swipe the screen to unlock, i can swipe the app or task to open the mulititasking with ease. We all know Android and iOS does it differently but the fact that 10.3 is more about gestures i kinda like the concept.
    10-19-15 03:39 PM
    Snap is just another way to access Google Play. I don't see any reason why anyone would want to side load a .bar file Google Play client when they could get the real Google Play. I had 1Mobile installed, but saw no reason to keep it once the Play Store was made available.

As far as all those Google products you mentioned: maps, drive etc. Seeing that BlackBerry's Android run time doesn't include full Google Play Services (but a a patched version if installing using Cobalt's method) many of those Google Apps won't work as desired.

It sounds like you're really better off just sticking with an Android phone seeing that you can't live without all those Google Apps.

The boot time on the Leap is greatly improved over pre 10.3 boot times, but it's still likely close to a minute.

The camera's low light performance is still lackluster at best, as most other BlackBerry phones.

You have to take the phone for what it is: a low-mid range BlackBerry 10 phone. It's capable of running MANY Android apps relatively well, but it's not going to win any speed contests while doing it.

If you used a Z30 as you mentioned, and it didn't meet your needs, I highly doubt the Leap will fare better.

I have a Leap, and love it, but most will find this phone inadequate if they're heavily dependent on Google Apps.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 12:37 PM
    I use the Leap because I prefer the BlackBerry 10 operating system over Android. One has to accept it's limitations, and enjoy its strengths.

It's all about your usage, and what you really need the phone for.

Posted via CB10
    bigjman, lift and Gino Guillermo like this.
    10-20-15 12:39 PM
    I need Google Maps because as i said i use it for the voice walking navigation due to to my Job. I need Google Photos because everytime i take a photo on my phone it saves it automatically on Google servers/cloud so i won't lose them forever and no need to back them up when changing devices. I need Google+ because when i comment on Youtube it is my first port of call in seeing the replies and in replying to them. I may forego with Keep as i can use Evernote. I need Google Drive because that is where i save/back-up some important photos or documents. Never used OneDrive. So if Snap is meant to be a "direct" reflection of the Google Play store i need to know whether these apps will require "Google services" and will not work on my BB 10 phone? And i'm just wondering why allow Android apps but not allowing Google-centric apps such as the ones i mentioned above?

Between Snap and Google Play store (via Cobalt) which you think is still better?

I have heard OS 10.3.2 improved the low-light, auto focus & speed of the camera. Did you noticed any improvements?

Is there a way to do a screen capture on BB 10?

I have heard about Blackberry Assistant but is there a similar app that functions like Google Now or Siri? Does the magnifying glass function like so?

Is there a way i can transfer files from my Mac to a BB 10 device wirelessly/via wifi? Or do i have to install a similar software like iTunes to transfer my files?

Updates seem to be a bit slow for a "closed" OS like BB OS. If you compare 10.0 to 10.1 to 10.2 to 10.3 it seem that the updates comes every 6-9 months away. I could be wrong here. And are there any minor updates in-between major ones?

I have seen how the Hub works. I like the concept. Apart from lockscreen notifications are there homescreen notifications similar to Android? (like an envelope for SMS or a bird symbol for a tweet)
    10-20-15 03:53 PM
    I need Google Maps because as i said i use it for the voice walking navigation due to to my Job. I need Google Photos because everytime i take a photo on my phone it saves it automatically on Google servers/cloud so i won't lose them forever and no need to back them up when changing devices. I need Google+ because when i comment on Youtube it is my first port of call in seeing the replies and in replying to them. I may forego with Keep as i can use Evernote. I need Google Drive because that is where i save/back-up some important photos or documents. Never used OneDrive. So if Snap is meant to be a "direct" reflection of the Google Play store i need to know whether these apps will require "Google services" and will not work on my BB 10 phone? And i'm just wondering why allow Android apps but not allowing Google-centric apps such as the ones i mentioned above?

Between Snap and Google Play store (via Cobalt) which you think is still better?

I have heard OS 10.3.2 improved the low-light, auto focus & speed of the camera. Did you noticed any improvements?

Is there a way to do a screen capture on BB 10?

I have heard about Blackberry Assistant but is there a similar app that functions like Google Now or Siri? Does the magnifying glass function like so?

Is there a way i can transfer files from my Mac to a BB 10 device wirelessly/via wifi? Or do i have to install a similar software like iTunes to transfer my files?

Updates seem to be a bit slow for a "closed" OS like BB OS. If you compare 10.0 to 10.1 to 10.2 to 10.3 it seem that the updates comes every 6-9 months away. I could be wrong here. And are there any minor updates in-between major ones?

I have seen how the Hub works. I like the concept. Apart from lockscreen notifications are there homescreen notifications similar to Android? (like an envelope for SMS or a bird symbol for a tweet)
    Apps like Chrome browser and more require Google Play services in order to use a Google account for its use. Though, as it stands with BlackBerry 10s current implementation of the Android runtime, BlackBerry cannot (legally) incorporate Google Play services.

It would be against Googles current Terms of Service agreement. BlackBerry would essentially be required by Google to have at least 21 selected and pre-installed Android apps and have the Android logo appear on device boot up screen.

In my opinion, Google Play (Cobalt) is a better option.

In regards to the camera improvements, it's pretty much the same to me.

Screen capture is done by pressing both volume buttons at the same time.

You can use BlackBerry Blend to transfer whatever you want between the phone and your computer, send texts, BBM'S. Etc.

There are minor updates between the major ones, but not as frequent as Android seems to be updated.

You said you used to have a Z30, it's not any different on a Leap.

Just search the forums, you'll find all the answers you're looking for.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 10:26 PM
    But if i install Google Play via Cobalt i still won't be able to run Google-centric apps as like you said Google Play services cannot be installed or cannot work at the moment?

Does BB Blend allow you to transfer files from Mac to the phone wirelessly via wifi?

Does the magnifying glass symbol on the bottom of the screen only act as a search and function thingy on-device? Does it not like act Siri or Google Now and search the internet or set alarm or read a text message for you?

Any good 1st-party or 3rd-party Chromecast app for BB10?

When a notification appears on the lock screen does it have the ability to go to the app when i click it?
    10-21-15 03:45 PM
    But if i install Google Play via Cobalt i still won't be able to run Google-centric apps as like you said Google Play services cannot be installed or cannot work at the moment?

Does BB Blend allow you to transfer files from Mac to the phone wirelessly via wifi?

Does the magnifying glass symbol on the bottom of the screen only act as a search and function thingy on-device? Does it not like act Siri or Google Now and search the internet or set alarm or read a text message for you?

When a notification appears on the lock screen does it have the ability to go to the app when i click it?
    For the Google Play Store part from Cobalt, if you find the page that shows you how to install Google Play Store, in that same page, Cobalt also showed a tutorial on how to patch apps that require Google Play Services. (Take Note: This only works on a few apps). But for the most part, if it requires Google Play Services, then you're out of luck.

As far as I know, BlackBerry Blend is only used to view files from your phone and reply to messages on your phone.

The magnifying glass symbol will open a screen that also allows a type-to-search and below it, a microphone button. Either way, typing to search and using voice to search will result in the same thing. But I can be like Siri with the way it'll answer, just not as efficient or "fun".

For the lock screen notification, yes. You can double tap on a notification and it will bring you straight to it.

10-21-15 08:04 PM

Blend allows wireless transfer of files, as well as essentially being your phone displayed on the computer. Basically all your phone messages/files are accessible through Blend.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 08:41 PM
    Using BB Blend will it also find the Android apps & games that i have installed?

Anyone in here had success as regards enabling some Google apps to work via Cobalt's patch?
    10-24-15 02:28 PM
    Using BB Blend will it also find the Android apps & games that i have installed?

Anyone in here had success as regards enabling some Google apps to work via Cobalt's patch?
    No. BlackBerry Blend is fixed to sharing messages between BBM, Text Messages, checking email, your calendar, and other stock applications. This includes the file manager. Even native apps wouldn't change it.

10-24-15 09:18 PM
    So, no wireless file transfer as told by someone here?
    10-25-15 02:51 PM
    So, no wireless file transfer as told by someone here?
    Yes. Wireless transfer from CPU to phone and vice versa via the file manager in Blend.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 09:29 PM