The name is stupid too. Leap seems like something for exciting than a budget phone, and sets the device up to be underwhelming. Maybe the BlackBerry Hop? The BlackBerry Wiggle? The BlackBerry Shake? Shimmy? Amble?

Posted via CB10
    It should be the "BlackBerry Same".
    02-28-15 10:45 AM
    The Leap will be a complete and utter flop.
    I have to agree.

It's hard for me to see a compelling reason why any existing BB owner would want to drop what they already have and move to a Leap. It's even harder for me to see why anyone currently using another platform would choose to buy a Leap now when they weren't tempted by a Z30 previously.

Price could be a factor... except that everyone here already knows in their heart of hearts that BB will give the Leap a stupidly high, uncompetitive price.
    02-28-15 10:47 AM
    For those thinking it will be a flop why are other phone manufacturers (Samsung, Motorola, LG) competing in a similar fashion? Is it the specs that immediately make this a failure? (IF specs were everything the iPhone would be a failure-and it's not) Us enthusiasts like a Z06 version of the Corvette (and BlackBerry gave users the Passport) but remember many just want a reliable, affordable device like a Camry. BlackBerry for all intentions is really reintroducing itself to consumers world wide and touting it's capabilities with the updated OS. I am fairly certain BlackBerry will eventually cover the high end all touch but only when Chen hits targets. BlackBerry has many irons in the fire at present.

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    ArcPlug likes this.
    02-28-15 11:02 AM
    The name is stupid too. Leap seems like something for exciting than a budget phone, and sets the device up to be underwhelming. Maybe the BlackBerry Hop? The BlackBerry Wiggle? The BlackBerry Shake? Shimmy? Amble?

Posted via CB10
    Lol! @wiggle, shake, and shimmy. Maybe BlackBerry stop, drop or roll? Dwl! No that device just setting up to fail. Seems on par with my z10 with a bigger screen which might spell worse battery life. The z3 was supposed for be the "budget" BlackBerry but I guess budget in BlackBerry speak =$250+

CB10 via Z10
    02-28-15 11:06 AM
    Lol! @wiggle, shake, and shimmy. Maybe BlackBerry stop, drop or roll? Dwl! No that device just setting up to fail. Seems on par with my z10 with a bigger screen which might spell worse battery life. The z3 was supposed for be the "budget" BlackBerry but I guess budget in BlackBerry speak =$250+

CB10 via Z10
    That one is actually a wrong assumption. It's battery is 50% bigger.
    02-28-15 11:09 AM
    I have to agree.

It's hard for me to see a compelling reason why any existing BB owner would want to drop what they already have and move to a Leap. It's even harder for me to see why anyone currently using another platform would choose to buy a Leap now when they weren't tempted by a Z30 previously.

Price could be a factor... except that everyone here already knows in their heart of hearts that BB will give the Leap a stupidly high, uncompetitive price.
    First of all, the Z30 isn't and never has been $200. Secondly, my guess is they don't expect current BlackBerry users to buy it in droves, nor do they expect GS5 or iP6 users to switch over. The dream, I'm sure, is for enterprise to adopt it on a large scale because it's cheap, it's all touch, and it's a BlackBerry (security). Much like the curve back in the glory days. Whether that pans out or not remains to be seen, and I have to think that the future of the hardware division hinges heavily on how it does.
    lift likes this.
    02-28-15 11:14 AM
    First of all, the Z30 isn't and never has been $200. Secondly, my guess is they don't expect current BlackBerry users to buy it in droves, nor do they expect GS5 or iP6 users to switch over. The dream, I'm sure, is for enterprise to adopt it on a large scale because it's cheap, it's all touch, and it's a BlackBerry (security). Much like the curve back in the glory days. Whether that pans out or not remains to be seen, and I have to think that the future of the hardware division hinges heavily on how it does.
    I paid $224 for mine. Granted it was heavily discounted. I'd like to know what they could make it for if they produced it at Z10 levels. Unfortunately looks like they either overbought the SOC in the Z10 so people will have to suffer with devices to with that soc for a while.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 11:24 AM
    A low end touch device is needed, with a near zero profit price point, but it also needs to be somewhat goodlooking. I personally hate the look of the Leap, but maybe others will like it. Anyway, we will soon see. Despite having doubts about the Rio or Leap, I think we can expect the high end devices to be very compelling indeed.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 11:28 AM
    Whether that pans out or not remains to be seen, and I have to think that the future of the hardware division hinges heavily on how it does.
    Now this, I agree with.

"cheap" is a relative term. Whether it'll be cheap enough for that dream of large-scale Enterprise adoption to become true remains to be seen. As I said above, BB has a certain "rep" when it comes to pricing their phones against their competitors. It's not a good rep.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    02-28-15 11:46 AM
    The Z3 failed.

If the IDC number is even close to correct, BlackBerry only shipped 5.8 million devices TOTAL in calendar 2014. That's all models. So that means the Z3 is likely the worst selling BlackBerry 10 phone to date (excluding limited editions and Porsche Design models). BlackBerry phone shipments plummeted 70% year over year in the year that the Z3 was on the market the longest of any phone they released in 2014.

So, if the Z3 failed to sell, why release it again with a minor spec bump and a new name?

I agree that if BlackBerry could make a phone it could sell for UNDER $200 in all markets, there MIGHT be a place for it. But that value segment is flush full of Androids and cheap Windows phones, not to mention Firefox OS.

The Leap isn't going to be significantly cheaper then the Z3 before it, so it is destined to sell in EVEN LOWER quantities.
    02-28-15 11:50 AM
    Blackberry has been slowly but surely pushing me towards iOS.

Have been waiting for a proper upgrade to my Z10 and nothing seems forthcoming.

Posted via CB10
    What ios phone? They don't have a replacement for z10 either. They are all bigger with pretty much the same specs other than an upgraded Cpu.

Or specs don't matter when buying apple? But does if it is a BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    ArcPlug and tvst28 like this.
    02-28-15 12:04 PM
    What ios phone? They don't have a replacement for z10 either. They are all bigger with pretty much the same specs other than an upgraded Cpu.

Or specs don't matter when buying apple? But does if it is a BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    Android has beefy specs, Apple has a huge ecosystem, BlackBerry has neither.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-28-15 12:36 PM
    For those thinking it will be a flop why are other phone manufacturers (Samsung, Motorola, LG) competing in a similar fashion?
    Because they can. They have a more sought after operating system in Android and less brand damage.
    02-28-15 01:08 PM
    Right now I'm using a Z10 as a backup/bedside device. If the Leap is indeed $200 outright, I'd be happy with selling my Z10 for like $125 and picking up the Leap as my backup. With the larger screen I could see myself using it as a daily driver some days as well. My Z rarely leaves my home.

I just wish those bezels were trimmed down some!!
    02-28-15 01:37 PM
    Now this, I agree with.

"cheap" is a relative term. Whether it'll be cheap enough for that dream of large-scale Enterprise adoption to become true remains to be seen. As I said above, BB has a certain "rep" when it comes to pricing their phones against their competitors. It's not a good rep.
    Its 'cheap' in a TCO perspective paired with BES12. Remember BB prices the management licenses for non-BB handsets higher than for their own to favor an all Blackberry solution. I think thats a bad idea if they want a substantial part of the Android for Work rollout but thats how it is now.

People complaining about the Leap...ITS NOT FOR YOU!!
    02-28-15 01:40 PM
    I think it's smart to bring in the Leap at under $200 and 0 down on contract with in store insensitive to attract new customers to BlackBerry. It will show people what really BlackBerry has to offer and once they get their foot in the door the can make up their minds up instead of media and other people.

Change is Good, Make a Change, So take a Leap and turn to BlackBerry .

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 03:23 PM
    The Blackberry handsets problem is not about prices, it's simply that a today's phone, msut be a real "Smartphone", a real tool with many modern ways to solve things, to get info...and not only a wonderful, quick and secure device for basically email, calls...etc. The big flaw in Blackberry perspective is continuing to ignore Apps. Most people has gone to BYOD ( Buy your own device ) for work, and this week, after reading the news of Blackberry changing its BES in order to allow Android devices to work, I've realized that Blackberry might be quitting in handset war.
    02-28-15 03:35 PM
    The Blackberry handsets problem is not about prices, it's simply that a today's phone, msut be a real "Smartphone", a real tool with many modern ways to solve things, to get info...and not only a wonderful, quick and secure device for basically email, calls...etc. The big flaw in Blackberry perspective is continuing to ignore Apps. Most people has gone to BYOD ( Buy your own device ) for work, and this week, after reading the news of Blackberry changing its BES in order to allow Android devices to work, I've realized that Blackberry might be quitting in handset war.
    + 1

Swipe addict Via CB10 /  STL100-1 / 10.3.1.2072
    02-28-15 03:43 PM
    The big flaw in Blackberry perspective is continuing to ignore Apps.

IMO, the biggest flaw in the consumer perspective is that they continue to believe and buy into this myth.

BlackBerry is in no way ignoring apps. That is the developers lack of support for the platform. Can BlackBerry do anything different to attract them, I'm not sure. There are plenty of armchair CEO posts with opinions. They have already offered a lot of inventive. If it's because if the lack of adoption, maybe that's because there aren't many developers willing to make them.

It's a vicious circle.

Posted via CB10
    ArcPlug likes this.
    02-28-15 04:09 PM

IMO, the biggest flaw in the consumer perspective is that they continue to believe and buy into this myth.

BlackBerry is in no way ignoring apps. That is the developers lack of support for the platform. Can BlackBerry do anything different to attract them, I'm not sure. There are plenty of armchair CEO posts with opinions. They have already offered a lot of inventive. If it's because if the lack of adoption, maybe that's because there aren't many developers willing to make them.

It's a vicious circle.

Posted via CB10
    Chen fired them, what are they supposed to do.... sit at the door waiting for a wave back in? He said they don't need consumer apps... so ya that's why they aren't developing for BB10

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 04:21 PM
    Chen fired them, what are they supposed to do.... sit at the door waiting for a wave back in? He said they don't need consumer apps... so ya that's why they aren't developing for BB10

Posted via CB10
    It's ok to see it that way. I don't.

I didn't like the encouragement to develop for the Android store myself. However, my take on that was just another continuation of getting developers on board with giving customers a way to get those apps wanted. When the demand is seen devs would go native to take advantage of that. Which just proves my point. It comes back to the vicious circle where some developers may also see that as an excuse not to develop natively. Devs do have choices you know.

But the myth is still circulated that BlackBerry has given up on apps.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 04:39 PM

But the myth is still circulated that BlackBerry has given up on apps.

Posted via CB10
    It's not a myth, only recently Chen had a turn around when he threw his fit over Net Neutrality(all of a sudden he wants apps). After chasing away developers and telling them to develop for Amazon app store.
    Then there's the other blog about the browser on here is so good that apps aren't required for BBRY....just those alone are discrediting the myrh.
    Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 05:06 PM
    It's not a myth, only recently Chen had a turn around when he threw his fit over Net Neutrality(all of a sudden he wants apps). After chasing away developers and telling them to develop for Amazon app store.
    Then there's the other blog about the browser on here is so good that apps aren't required for BBRY....just those alone are discrediting the myrh.
    Posted via CB10
    I think you have a problem parsing what is being conveyed here. You prove my point again by mentioning Neutrality followed by (all of a sudden he wants apps). It's not suddenly, he always did. But developers are making choices by not doing so. I think it looks like an act of desperation myself seeking neutrality, but again that just proves what I already stated. He would like apps for the platform. But devs are not making them.

Hence, it is a myth that he no longer cares for native Devs or apps.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 05:15 PM
    I think you have a problem parsing what is being conveyed here. You prove my point again by mentioning Neutrality followed by (all of a sudden he wants apps). It's not suddenly, he always did. But developers are making choices by not doing so. I think it looks like an act of desperation myself seeking neutrality, but again that just proves what I already stated. He would like apps for the platform. But devs are not making them.

Hence, it is a myth that he no longer cares for native Devs or apps.

Posted via CB10
    BB10 is the best standalone OS (if apps didn't exist), but has the worst ecosystem. The problem is that the market has moves from each manufacturer having their own OS (where BB would probably do well) to ecosystem focused (where BB is doing really really bad).
    02-28-15 05:31 PM
    Prediction: BlackBerry prices at $299 usd.

If they can price at $229 with sales at $199, it would be a good seller, IMO.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 05:40 PM
57 123