12-22-14 05:27 AM
182 ... 34567 ...
tools
    And as for people worried about this replacing the Z10, this is a phone for the same spot in their lineup (cheaper full touch) but with more tangible features (larger screen, bigger battery). Should do fairly well, unless BlackBerry cocks up the pricing.

Posted via CB10
    Never underestimate the ability to overestimate one's value.
    08-15-14 12:07 PM
    I think JC understands the needs for specs. Sofar this device is clearly outdated, i highly doubt it would be lower or even on par with Z30 specs, it must be higher even if it is a Z10 successor.

Otherwise it's fail game to me!
    I'm thinking 2.1 ghz
    2 gigs ram, 3 even

Nowadays, even these specs seem low tier.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 12:20 PM
    I think JC understands the needs for specs. Sofar this device is clearly outdated, i highly doubt it would be lower or even on par with Z30 specs, it must be higher even if it is a Z10 successor.

I'm thinking 2.1 ghz
    2 gigs ram, 3 even

Posted via CB10
    More than likely the Z20 will be a slight improvement in specs from the Z10 also keeping the same size and form factor kind of like when they released the 9810 as the follow up to the 9800. Hopefully the battery life will be greatly improved lol
    08-15-14 12:35 PM
    Personally, I think that's a dumbass idea. The Z30 is outdated now and any device after it should succeed it in every aspect, not necessarily screen size, but at least specs. Doesn't matter the series, it's gotta be better than previous devices

Posted via CB10
    00_Agent likes this.
    08-15-14 12:39 PM
    I love my Z10. Only thing I would ask for in a successor would be longer battery life.
    lift likes this.
    08-15-14 12:48 PM
    Passport is 1440

Check Out TechCraze
    Yeah. 1440 by 1440. Great for people who still want a keyboard, but BlackBerry has converted me and many others to all touch now and I want a higher PPI screen, better processor, bigger battery, and more on board storage than my Z10. Others manufacturers are now doing 1440 by 2560 screens.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    08-15-14 01:21 PM
    Calm down people. The device and summary of the specs aren't even announced yet.

Getting all riled up for no reason.
    08-15-14 01:30 PM
    Calm down people. The device and summary of the specs aren't even announced yet.

Getting all riled up for no reason.
    They better be good,or else there will be more disgust by "Specs Crowd", I personally am happy with the devices except for the sucky battery on the Z10. :-)
    There will be riots in the streets :-)) seriously though they should offer us an all round better device to make up for some of the faux pas of the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    walt63 likes this.
    08-15-14 01:39 PM
    LOL no they don't. Their specs are usually top of the line. The Apple A7 processor beat the mighty Snapdragon 800. Just because their processors are running at only 1.5 GHz doesn't mean they're "minimum specs".

The A8 (iPhone 6) will still probably be top performing. Apple's SoC design is nothing short of amazing.
    What do you mean by top-of-the-line specs then? The processors aren't running at top-of-the-line speeds. The RAM, battery and screen aren't as big as their competitors. Do you mean top-of-the-line for an iPhone and /some/ of those specs are better than their competitors?
    08-15-14 01:41 PM
    Baked Z3 or a fully redone Z10 upgrade...I'LL TAKE IT!

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 01:54 PM
    The next touch screen needs to be at least a Passport, only using the keyboard area for added screen area. This especially important to enterprise users who have grown up using touch screens and those of us who like virtual keyboards and need more screen area ie Doctors and Architects. I think that Chen needs to look at a broader spectrum focus group to help make decisions.
    08-15-14 02:41 PM
    What do you mean by top-of-the-line specs then? The processors aren't running at top-of-the-line speeds. The RAM, battery and screen aren't as big as their competitors. Do you mean top-of-the-line for an iPhone and /some/ of those specs are better than their competitors?
    Just as a reminder, the A7 was the first 64 bit processor in a mobile phone, and in terms of specs, it outperformed its main rivals, even with a lower frequency (better for battery life). GigaHertzs are not everything when measuring processor speed.
    08-15-14 02:53 PM
    Either the Z3 remains the same and comes with LTE for the same price, or better specs (better than the Z30) for a price they want to put 400-600$. Not a little improvement with a price that range. Come on, we are on that 'Go big or go home moment'.

Every time there needs to be Os improvement and features and every time better specs included...

Z10 10.2.2.xxxx
    08-15-14 03:13 PM

I'm thinking 2.1 ghz
    2 gigs ram, 3 even

Posted via CB10
    What do you want? A battery draining computer or a smart phone. Man, this race to bigger screens, higher resolutions, faster processors, more RAM. All that consumes power and is it really necessary to power a PHONE? I have a Z30 and it does more than I need my phone to do. I don't need higher resolution displays or faster processors. If you want a computer replacement, buy a tablet or a small laptop. I first and foremost want my phone to be a phone.
    08-15-14 03:13 PM
    1080p 4.5 inch screen. 800 snapdragon, 3GB ram, 4GLTE, 32GB memory, 13mpx camera, 3.1 front, 3300mah battery, wireless charing and that funny port the passport has.

Differentiate or Die
    Notcho and asherwiin like this.
    08-15-14 03:16 PM
    Just as a reminder, the A7 was the first 64 bit processor in a mobile phone, and in terms of specs, it outperformed its main rivals, even with a lower frequency (better for battery life). GigaHertzs are not everything when measuring processor speed.
    Nor is specs the only measure of whether a device is top-of-the-line. A well made, optimized OS will make a device fly even when the specs are low. That's the point. BB10 isn't iOS or Android. If it can do with lesser specs, who cares if the specs aren't the same as its competitors.

When the first 64-bit desktop CPU's came out, software was still 32-bits, which meant that the 64-bit processors had to emulate a 32-bit CPU. That resulted in 32-bit software running /slower/ than on a 32-bit processor. At this point, how many apps are 64-bit and what is their performance on a 64-bit mobile processor? The 64-bit may have benchmarked better, but what about real performance? If the experience parallels the desktop, then gigahertz do matter since a 32-bit will need to be emulated.
    08-15-14 03:26 PM
    you got that just from the name? I bet it is smaller since it is replacing the Z10 but I have a good feeling the specs will be an improvement over Z30.

Why speculate? Just wait for them to announce the specs.

We'll see.
    08-15-14 03:46 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry will increase Z3 specs and call it the Z20. That would just confuse consumers, and it would make them look bad. That just doesn't make sense. I don't think BlackBerry is that lazy!
    08-15-14 03:57 PM
    They better be good,or else there will be more disgust by "Specs Crowd", I personally am happy with the devices except for the sucky battery on the Z10. :-)
    There will be riots in the streets :-)) seriously though they should offer us an all round better device to make up for some of the faux pas of the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    Oh I'm with you...definitely. BlackBerry needs to go hard on this one. There's too much consumer insight and data for them not to learn and improve.

I'm bypassing the Passport for this. I've fully converted to a virtual keyboard user. And quite frankly, I may just keep my Z10. I truly believe that 10.3.1 will make me fall in love with my Z10 again. We?ll see.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 04:39 PM
    Found specs online - keyboard AND video calling!
    http://www.zvrs.com/assets/userguide/Z20_UserGuide.pdf
    Innovative!
    08-15-14 04:48 PM
    I love my Z10. Only thing I would ask for in a successor would be longer battery life.
    Thank you for saying something relevant and frankly useful.

When you design a device, you need to think of the target audience. Not everyone wants to pay 700-800 dollars for a smartphone. Most people don't care about screen resolution or whether something is three milliseconds faster than another device. What they care about is whether the screen is of reasonable size, the battery life is good and if they can tuck the phone away in a pocket. And most of all, they only want to pay 400 dollars. Those will be the principals driving the Z20. And it doesn't change if you are a business either, they are also price sensitive. The days of everyone buying a 700 dollar phone are over. Get used to it.

Posted via CB10
    cbvinh, lift, jrsva2008 and 1 others like this.
    08-15-14 04:50 PM
    It still beats the 800 and 801. The A7 really is a monster. I wonder how the A8 will do.
    08-15-14 05:55 PM
    Same level technology of iPhone 6? Apple puts out minimum specs that just works, every year. BlackBerry does not have the following to play that game. And I can understand BB10 "doesn't need" those specs, but then why would they put high specs in the Passport?

Posted via rotary phone
    BlackBerry passport is designed to support OS 10.4(64 bit OS). Therefore they need higher specs. I believe z20 will have same level hardware to support upcoming os.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 06:56 PM
    BlackBerry passport is designed to support OS 10.4(64 bit OS)*. Therefore they need higher specs. I believe z20 will have same level hardware to support upcoming os.*

Posted via CB10
    * - Wrong
    howarmat and lift like this.
    08-15-14 07:11 PM
    Found specs online - keyboard AND video calling!
    http://www.zvrs.com/assets/userguide/Z20_UserGuide.pdf
    Possible Z20 Coming This Year-128943003544263324.jpg

Good one. Sucked me in.
    08-15-14 08:18 PM
182 ... 34567 ...