So you have the Leap and you've been using it for a while now. What are your opinions on the device? It worth the money ? I read some reviews, and i've been researching myself, but i find the device is a bit too large, do you find it clunky or is it something you get used to? Also, how is gaming on the Leap?

I'm just thinking that i'd be better off buying a Z30 , because it has a faster processor, and the rest is basically the same. Oh and because of the screen, amoled vs. lcd. Or am i missing important things here?

Also, for the people that have 10.3.2, is the camera really better? I had read that they were fixing the camera and that it would perform better in low-light situations.

Thanks for any help, because i just don't understand what's so special about the Leap, it's like they put the Z30 in a different outfit, replaced the screen and released it with a 1,5Ghz processor instead of the 1,7 one.
    07-25-15 09:36 AM
    Try the search function on CB!
    07-25-15 09:50 AM
    For reference, I have owned: Z10, Q5, Q10, Z30, Leap, and my old man owns a Passport.
    (I have sold the Q10 and Z30 second-hand because I found the AMOLED screens on them to be atrocious, but I still own the others)

The one I used as my daily-driver was my Z10 so I'll compare it to that the most.

I find that the Leap has a bigger, brighter screen over the Z10 and I find it very nice to touch and move around on as well as look at. It's certainty one of the highlights of the device and pretty well regarded all around.

Performance is nearly the same as the Z10 and Z30, maybe a hair more snappy than my Z10 and slightly under the Z30, although nowhere near the massive "it's light-years behind the Z30" like some people are saying which is just dishonest rubbish. For all intents and purposes, these phones perform very similar due to the way that BB10 works. Leap performance is good for me and I have no complaints.

Battery on the Leap is huge. One of the biggest in the BlackBerry product line besides the Passport. You can really go the extra distance with the battery on this thing. If battery is a concern then the Leap is a no-brainer, even over the swappable Z10 battery.

I personally think my white Z10 is a better looker but the Leap is better built. It is one SOLID phone. No creaks or snaps of any sort. It's got a quite a bit of heft and it feels completely rigid and solid. The rubbery material on the back of the black Leap isn't very anti-slip but it feels very nice on the skin. Buttons on the Z30 and Z10 are better though, but not really a big deal in my eyes. Power button is easier to press on the Leap than the Z10.

Speaker on the Leap is one of the worst in the entire NA BB10 lineup, even over the Q5. If you use the speaker a lot, consider this. I don't even need to do comparisons, the Leap just has a bad speaker. It can be loud, but it's really distorted at those volumes.

Leap has no NFC or HDMI but I never ever used these and I know others don't either. These didn't factor into my purchase decision. It also has no magnetic sensor so no compass app. GPS works fine and I never used the compass anyway so no biggy for me. (The compass was consistently wrong on my other phones anyway, verified with several hiking compasses).

Reception on Leap is good. better than my Z10 for cell reception. Wifi works fine too. Leap does not have 5ghz but the 5ghz on my other phones (including passport) nearly drops after just walking into a few rooms so I think 5ghz is more of a gimmick than anything to be honest. I don't even use it on my non-BB devices like my Android tablet. It's too unreliable. (I've read other users with the same problem).

As for the Z30 over the Leap: The Z30 is a bit fancier in a few ways, but also has things which I hate like the AMOLED screen. The Z30 (like all first gen BB10 devices) is now discontinued and out of production and leftover stock is being sold cheaply. It also ships with 10.2 rather than 10.3. Things to consider.

The Z30 is like what it always was, a nice small (not big) upgrade over the Z10. The people who are acting like it's an S6 powerhouse compared to the Leap are not being honest or truthful. However it has its own things I consider downfalls.
    07-25-15 11:50 AM
    For reference, I have owned: Z10, Q5, Q10, Z30, Leap, and my old man owns a Passport.
    (I have sold the Q10 and Z30 second-hand because I found the AMOLED screens on them to be atrocious, but I still own the others)

The one I used as my daily-driver was my Z10 so I'll compare it to that the most.

I find that the Leap has a bigger, brighter screen over the Z10 and I find it very nice to touch and move around on as well as look at. It's certainty one of the highlights of the device and pretty well regarded all around.

Performance is nearly the same as the Z10 and Z30, maybe a hair more snappy than my Z10 and slightly under the Z30, although nowhere near the massive "it's light-years behind the Z30" like some people are saying which is just dishonest rubbish. For all intents and purposes, these phones perform very similar due to the way that BB10 works. Leap performance is good for me and I have no complaints.

Battery on the Leap is huge. One of the biggest in the BlackBerry product line besides the Passport. You can really go the extra distance with the battery on this thing. If battery is a concern then the Leap is a no-brainer, even over the swappable Z10 battery.

I personally think my white Z10 is a better looker but the Leap is better built. It is one SOLID phone. No creaks or snaps of any sort. It's got a quite a bit of heft and it feels completely rigid and solid. The rubbery material on the back of the black Leap isn't very anti-slip but it feels very nice on the skin. Buttons on the Z30 and Z10 are better though, but not really a big deal in my eyes. Power button is easier to press on the Leap than the Z10.

Speaker on the Leap is one of the worst in the entire NA BB10 lineup, even over the Q5. If you use the speaker a lot, consider this. I don't even need to do comparisons, the Leap just has a bad speaker. It can be loud, but it's really distorted at those volumes.

Leap has no NFC or HDMI but I never ever used these and I know others don't either. These didn't factor into my purchase decision. It also has no magnetic sensor so no compass app. GPS works fine and I never used the compass anyway so no biggy for me. (The compass was consistently wrong on my other phones anyway, verified with several hiking compasses).

Reception on Leap is good. better than my Z10 for cell reception. Wifi works fine too. Leap does not have 5ghz but the 5ghz on my other phones (including passport) nearly drops after just walking into a few rooms so I think 5ghz is more of a gimmick than anything to be honest. I don't even use it on my non-BB devices like my Android tablet. It's too unreliable. (I've read other users with the same problem).

As for the Z30 over the Leap: The Z30 is a bit fancier in a few ways, but also has things which I hate like the AMOLED screen. The Z30 (like all first gen BB10 devices) is now discontinued and out of production and leftover stock is being sold cheaply. It also ships with 10.2 rather than 10.3. Things to consider.

The Z30 is like what it always was, a nice small (not big) upgrade over the Z10. The people who are acting like it's an S6 powerhouse compared to the Leap are not being honest or truthful. However it has its own things I consider downfalls.
    ^ is truth.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-15 02:43 PM
    Never got the screen complaints against the Z30. I've had a Z10 and a Samsung Android before that and a Xperia even briefly. The screen on the Z30 is bright and beautiful to my eyes. Guess I just can't see the difference.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-15 02:53 PM
    Never got the screen complaints against the Z30. I've had a Z10 and a Samsung Android before that and a Xperia even briefly. The screen on the Z30 is bright and beautiful to my eyes. Guess I just can't see the difference.

Posted via CB10
    The Z30 and Q10 use earlier generations of AMOLED which has issues with brightness and color reproduction. I also found the pixels to be very noticeable even if the PPI is high. Just downsides to that generation of AMOLED screens I suppose.

Also they suffer from burn-in (or burn-out) where individual pixels can die if used too much. If you plan on using your phone for more than a year or two this is going to be a problem.
    SenorPistachio and davisville like this.
    07-25-15 03:16 PM
    I would recommend the leap. It's a great phone. I have used the q10,z10 and z30.

Posted via CB10
    Bob Brown7 likes this.
    07-25-15 04:14 PM
    I would recommend the Leap without hesitation. It is my first all touch phone, and I couldn't be happier with it. Coming from Q10, the Leap is bigger, brighter, and faster.

The speaker isn't very good; probably the biggest weakness on the phone, and the volume buttons don't give very good feedback, they feel squishy instead of clicks like other BlackBerry 10 handsets.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-15 06:27 PM
    I would recommend the Leap without hesitation. It is my first all touch phone, and I couldn't be happier with it. Coming from Q10, the Leap is bigger, brighter, and faster.

The speaker isn't very good; probably the biggest weakness on the phone, and the volume buttons don't give very good feedback, they feel squishy instead of clicks like other BlackBerry 10 handsets.

Posted via CB10
    I agree about the speaker and the buttons, only negatives about the leap.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-15 06:54 PM
    Try the search function on CB!
    I searched for 'For the people that have the Leap for a while now.' but it couldn't find anything!

Also, mad props for my CB brother 'Thalestr'. Your post answered all my questions and then some.
    07-25-15 07:33 PM
    Z30 way better

Posted via CB10
    07-25-15 07:54 PM
    Z30 way better

Posted via CB10
    This statement is worthless unless you explain how and why.
    davisville likes this.
    07-25-15 08:40 PM
    Also they suffer from burn-in (or burn-out) where individual pixels can die if used too much. If you plan on using your phone for more than a year or two this is going to be a problem.
    I'm approaching a year right now and so far no screen issues whatsoever. Seems as colorful and bright as the first day.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 07:44 PM
    I've had the leap a while now it's a fantastic device but I regret getting rid of the passport. Ordering a new passport at the weekend

LeapSTR100-1/10.3.2....
    07-27-15 08:09 AM
    Lol lol so true. I went from a z30 to a leap. Like the leaps screen and shape better. Camera sucks. But then again what blackberry camera doesn't
    07-27-15 08:25 AM
    I would recommend the leap. It's a great phone. I have used the q10,z10 and z30.

Posted via CB10
    I strongly recommend BlackBerry Leap. I have an Z30 too besides the Passport and the Z3. The Leap is at BlackBerry 's functional best in class.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 08:31 AM
    I think it's just too expensive for what you get. It costs 250 euro's over here ( Netherlands ), and it's basically just a simple Snapdragon S4 Plus-soc that's about 3 years old. The fact that the BB OS works well on it does not justify it's price tag. If this phone fails, it will not be because it's a bad phone, because it's not, it will be because BB has the tendency to overprice it's hardware, until they realize that they did just that, and lower the price, but when that happens no one cares anymore.

This phone should have been around 150 euro's ( 165 dollars ), it would have sold like crazy.
    Madhuchandran and Ed YANG like this.
    07-27-15 10:04 PM
    I think it's just too expensive for what you get. It costs 250 euro's over here ( Netherlands ), and it's basically just a simple Snapdragon S4 Plus-soc that's about 3 years old. The fact that the BB OS works well on it does not justify it's price tag. If this phone fails, it will not be because it's a bad phone, because it's not, it will be because BB has the tendency to overprice it's hardware, until they realize that they did just that, and lower the price, but when that happens no one cares anymore.

This phone should have been around 150 euro's ( 165 dollars ), it would have sold like crazy.
    07-28-15 02:56 AM
    I'm totally agree with you.
    I had the leap last week, after two days I've send it back. The screen was bleeding with light, the speaker was thin, and battery was not that powerful as people here exaggerated. The only plus was the bigger screen and brighter. But honestly the price of too high for this phone and as most people here saying that it's very cheap phone over 250� in Germany for budget phone is not cheap. Cheap is 140-150 for this hardware phone.
    But as you said BB have tendencies to over price their phones.
    I miss my blackberry z10, the only the negative was the battery.
    07-28-15 03:06 AM
    I've had my Leap for about 5 weeks, don't know exact dates. Compared to my Q5 the LCD panel on the Leap is much brighter and looks just as clear. Battery life has been good. I would say 7 - 8/ 10 I would have loved a rounded 3,000mAh just for bragging rights but the one it's got is good.

As for the speakers, I've seen a lot of negative feedback from people about it. Obviously I got a good speaker? It seems louder and clearer than my Q5. So can't really complain about it.

Camera, it's OK. I have a feeling it's the same as the Q5's or Z3's but it has received a megapixel bump. There is nothing wrong with the photos, they are pretty clear but could do with some more work.

All round, I love it. Nice to hold and keeps me productive

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2576
    07-29-15 07:38 AM
    The only one who spreads dishonest rubbish is you. Leap is way slower than Z30, noticeable in both Android apps and even normal device usage like web browsing. Benchmarks prove the difference. So please, stop spreading this misinformation. Your subjective postings ("maybe a hair more snappy than my Z10" how? Extra-magical ingredients? LOL) and your rant against people who are telling the sad truth and are able to back their statements with facts (unlike you) don't help anybody.
    07-29-15 07:44 AM
    I can tell you what one magical ingredient is the improved LTE radio on the LEAP. I am an ATT customer and I can tell you the browsing and MMS are noticeably faster on the Leap than my Z10 in many locations. I cannot believe all the splitting of hairs in comparing the Z30 to the LEAP. it comes down to personal preference. I said it before if your an ATT customer you will be very happy with the LEAP.
    07-29-15 08:29 AM
    I find the Mono speaker quite good and crystal clear at high volume. But the positioning of the speaker is unforgivable as it almost mutes the high frequencies when placed on a desk and all you hear is sound without the inherent quality.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-15 09:34 AM
    I have mine for about a month or so. I know it's not a cutting edge phone but I'm really enjoying it. Has everything I need and use on a daily basis, great for business and personal. I still use my Passport but find the Leap to be easier to bring with me more places.

The only gripe I have with any of the Blackberry's is that I wish they could put some effort into better cameras on their devices aside from that I think for the money and what it has to offer its a great phone!

Posted via CB10
    brunoxrs and adonesc like this.
    07-29-15 09:34 AM
    I can tell you what one magical ingredient is the improved LTE radio on the LEAP.
    This may indeed be a reason to buy for some, as well as the LCD screen or even the placement of the USB port as someone mentioned. Still doesn't affect the speed thing we are talking about.
    07-29-15 10:39 AM
50 12