Did I read correctly that the Leap has no NFC? Isn't this an oversight given that NFC payment systems look like they will become significantly more widespread / popular in the near future?

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 02:23 PM
    correct no NFC to my knowledge
    03-05-15 05:03 PM
    Did I read correctly that the Leap has no NFC? Isn't this an oversight given that NFC payment systems look like they will become significantly more widespread / popular in the near future?

Posted via CB10
    It should have been included in the hardware but let's be honest, BlackBerry doesn't seem to have any solid payment system in the near future that they're planning for a mass release. So when it comes it to planning a budget phone, I'm guessing it didn't rank high on their priority.

Via CB10 on this beast they call the Passport
    03-05-15 05:12 PM
    NFC is more useful than just making payments. It makes sharing files so easy. Or pairing with NFC devices like speakers and headphones.

Posted via CB10
    ExplicitPromo and Hulk123 like this.
    03-06-15 12:24 PM
    NFC is more useful than just making payments. It makes sharing files so easy. Or pairing with NFC devices like speakers and headphones.

Posted via CB10
    I agree which is why I'm surprised it was not an included feature.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 01:54 PM
    I believe (HOPE) this will change as NFC is.....moving forward

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 06:30 PM
    I wonder how expensive nfcs really are though. This is a 274 dollar phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 09:25 PM
    Yeah I mean for $274, they are already giving us Z10 specs with a bigger battery in a Z3 casing. They really shouldn't be removing features now. NFC is important.

I understand this is apparently for mass enterprise use, but come on.

I guess it just affirms that I'll be sticking with the Z30 for the time being. Might give passport a try later this year. I'm happy with that though, because passport looks interesting and has much better specs.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 10:13 PM
    NFC is nifty, and I do like having it, but if there were a communication function I would be most comfortable with giving up, it would probably be that.
    Thunderbuck and kitaisky like this.
    03-06-15 11:30 PM
    This device was made to be as cheap as possible, hence why it has a cheap plastic body, low specs, and no NFC.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    03-07-15 12:48 AM
    This device was made to be as cheap as possible, hence why it has a cheap plastic body, low specs, and no NFC.

OK so that's what $274 represents now?

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 09:07 AM

Cost cutting gone too far I think. NFC is a useful feature for device pairing, contact sharing, mobile payments, and all sorts of use cases that you can enable with smart tags.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 01:12 PM
    I will not miss the NYC chip.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 08:47 AM
    Apparently no NFC or gyroscope...

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 09:53 AM
    Leap not being NFC Enabled just became a completely Useless Smart Phone. Releasing a Mobile Device in North America and Europe with No NFC is careless.
    Good Job Boyz in Black.

I know 6 people with Q5's that were going to upgrade to the Leap, and are heavy users of NFC. Well, now I will make them aware that this chip is not present on the Leap. What do you think there decision will be after that news? If No NFC, Ridiculous.

So ask yourself why there's cheap Android devices with NFC that cost cheaper than Leap? This is BlackBerry's problem, they need somebody that actually knows how to make such decisions with what needs to be and what does not need to be within the hardware. This has always been the companies weakness. Terrible pricing and terrible decisions on phone specs.

I thought John Chen rectified this nonsense?
    makaiman likes this.
    03-08-15 10:14 AM
    Leap not being NFC Enabled just became a completely Useless Smart Phone. Releasing a Mobile Device in North America and Europe with No NFC is careless.
    Good Job Boyz in Black.

I know 6 people with Q5's that were going to upgrade to the Leap, and are heavy users of NFC. Well, now I will make them aware that this chip is not present on the Leap. What do you think there decision will be after that news? If No NFC, Ridiculous.

So ask yourself why there's cheap Android devices with NFC that cost cheaper than Leap? This is BlackBerry's problem, they need somebody that actually knows how to make such decisions with what needs to be and what does not need to be within the hardware. This has always been the companies weakness. Terrible pricing and terrible decisions on phone specs.

I thought John Chen rectified this nonsense?
    dramatic much? maybe in canada NFC is huge and you cant do without it but its still not huge at all in the US. Even with apple pay starting to take shape its still not widely used. BB has to cut costs somewhere and honestly NFC is one of those even if its savings is only pennies. In a year things might be different but the way things are right now its no dealbreaker for the majority of the population.
    tvst28 likes this.
    03-08-15 12:08 PM
    As consumers, we have an option not to buy it... right?

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 12:42 PM
    I have never used nfc on my Q10,Z10 and Z30. So, it won't stop me from buying the leap.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 12:57 PM
    Cost cutting gone too far I think. NFC is a useful feature for device pairing, contact sharing, mobile payments, and all sorts of use cases that you can enable with smart tags.

Posted via CB10
    Personally, I have never used the NFC on my Q10. It's probably because I'm in the U.S. though.

Even people who use the Samsung Galaxy phones and other Android devices here never use NFC.

Then again, the Leap is not aimed at the U.S. market, and I am not knowledgeable about how widely used it is in other places.
    03-08-15 04:27 PM
    This is why I personally don't buy "budget" phones.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 04:34 PM
    Funny how they are always seeking to cut costs, but still overprice their hardware.
    03-08-15 08:01 PM
    most of my business (BES Enterprise) customers cannot take the Leap because of missing NFC.

NFC is used in different ways:

one of my apps uses NFC to pair a serial Bluetooth Scanner and serial Bluetooth Printer -
    users (without any technology background and even knowing what paired or connected means)
    simply tap the NFC Tag which contains all informations to scan for BT devices, pair and connect "by magic"

another app:
    customer placed NFC tags at houses, doors, schools, ...
    service employees coming to a place tap the BlackBerry on the tag and:
    - CheckIn on this Object was done
    - new tasks sent from server to mobile

another app:
    TimeTracking APP
    to quick start / stop a break / work / travel users tap on a tag

... only some samples what you can do with NFC Tags to simplify workflows

Don't understand why BlackBerry is producing a BB10 device without NFC
    One of my customers has placed an order of some hundred Z30 - but they couldn't be delivered -
    don't know what they'll tell me getting the info that the "new" Leap will have no NFC and they have to wait for another full touch or use Classic
    03-09-15 11:26 AM
    To Jeff who questioned why NFC would be important. Yes, Canada is a way ahead of USA in this stuff and yes we use NFC. (just like a lot of Americans are still on old credit cards with no chip technology. Sorry, but you Americans are behind down there.) lol.

I'm ready to upgrade from Z10 and am flabbergasted the Leap won't have it.
    Why are we going backwards here?
    05-04-15 06:13 PM
    Let me show you the worst to best....
    Z3,Leap,Z10,Z30. Best bang for your $ is the Z30. But they'll be out of stock soon and the Leap will be one of the only full touch devices offered by BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-04-15 06:22 PM
    To Jeff who questioned why NFC would be important. Yes, Canada is a way ahead of USA in this stuff and yes we use NFC. (just like a lot of Americans are still on old credit cards with no chip technology. Sorry, but you Americans are behind down there.) lol.

I'm ready to upgrade from Z10 and am flabbergasted the Leap won't have it.
    Why are we going backwards here?
    Z10 released at 599. Leap released at 275. One of them is a budget phone. It's not going backwards it's just not for us.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 06:23 PM
43 12