You make a great point. At the very least, BlackBerry should have used the Z30 as a low end spec benchmark. Nothing below these specs should have been used regardless.
    So now the RIO is said to have similar spec's as the Z10. The screen quality better be as good if not better than the Z10. And to attract people and help them look beyond the OLD Spec's, the CAMERA must be at least 13MP if not higher. That alone is the final decision people make when purchasing a device.

As for the cost, this device cannot cost more than $200. Throw a much better camera, and maybe $250. Throw in a few more extra hardware features and MAX $300.
    As others have said in various threads, BB probably loaded up on Z10 internals and are still trying to use them up, whereas the Z30 was not produced in such high volumes. Sad but probably true. I'm OK with this as long as they use these components in their enterprise fleet devices. They are good enough for doing the basics like reading email, making calls, etc.
    Last edited by LuvULongTime; 02-24-15 at 10:40 PM. Reason: spelling
    02-24-15 10:36 PM
    As others have said in various threads, BB probably loaded up on Z10 internals and are still trying to use them up, whereas the Z30 was not produced in such high volumes. Sad but probably true. I'm OK with this as long as they use these components in their enterprise fleet devices. They are good enough for doing the basics like reading email, making calls, etc.
    Yes but this same thing, just replace Snapdragon S4 plus with Marvel PXA, is what got BlackBerry their reputation as a company that pushes outdated hardware at a premium price. They wrote off the hardware because it couldn't compete 2 years ago, and here we are looking at the same hardware being put in devices in 2015. BlackBerry needs to offset the Classic and Leap with high end hardware.

Posted via CB10
    nt300 and Maxxxpower like this.
    02-25-15 08:26 PM
    Yes but this same thing, just replace Snapdragon S4 plus with Marvel PXA, is what got BlackBerry their reputation as a company that pushes outdated hardware at a premium price. They wrote off the hardware because it couldn't compete 2 years ago, and here we are looking at the same hardware being put in devices in 2015. BlackBerry needs to offset the Classic and Leap with high end hardware.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. As long as these components are put in corporately issued fleet devices that end users don't have to pay for (ie free) then they will be fine. However, if they decide sell these devices at a premium price to the public then they deserve to go bankrupt. How many times do they need to make the same mistake before they learn? I think Classic off contract pricing is a joke, but the two year pricing on AT&T is quite good at $49. So they got it 50% right with the Classic. Let's hope they don't screw up the leap pricing both on and off contract. As I have said in other threads, I would price it at $199 off contract max. And on contract I would make it $0. Realistically, no one would be stupid enough to sign a 2 year contract for this device AND pay for it. :laugh:
    02-25-15 10:13 PM
    MWC is early March?

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 11:28 PM
    MWC is early March?

Posted via CB10
    Yes 1st Week.

Posted by Q5
    02-26-15 12:14 AM
    I see your point, but..there's already the Z30! In March (when this Z20 seems to come out) the Z30 will cost around 300$ pretty everywhere..
    The problem with your suggestion is that they are not making money on a z30 at $300, this new device will enable them to replace both z10 and z30 at their current pricepoints while actually making a profit when they sell the things.
    02-26-15 12:04 PM
    Seems to have essentially the same specs as a Z10 with a larger screen. If you can get the Z10 for $200, anything over $199 CDN/USD for this phone would seem overpriced. I can't see myself recommending it to anyone if they launch it at $299 as you'd be better off with a Z10 probably and a spare battery. Or wait for another Z30 sale.
    They have probably managed to run down stocks of both z10 and z30 by the time this one shows up and you won't have the option of those devices.

As far as pricing, it is more likely to be in the $200-250 range like such things as the Moto G rather than being $300.
    02-26-15 12:07 PM
    I agree. As long as these components are put in corporately issued fleet devices that end users don't have to pay for (ie free) then they will be fine. However, if they decide sell these devices at a premium price to the public then they deserve to go bankrupt. How many times do they need to make the same mistake before they learn? I think Classic off contract pricing is a joke, but the two year pricing on AT&T is quite good at $49. So they got it 50% right with the Classic.
    Off contract prices generally have room to drop quite quickly from the launch price, the carriers want people signing new contracts when a new phone launches and not buying them unlocked.

Also in the case of Classic, you had VZW and AT&T starting to stock it later so BB would have needed to switch to building up stock for those launches after supplying all that was needed for the global release of the device, but even so, the price on amazon.de seems to have dropped from �450 at launch to under �400 so it has got past the initial launch pricing there.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    02-26-15 12:24 PM
    The problem with your suggestion is that they are not making money on a z30 at $300, this new device will enable them to replace both z10 and z30 at their current pricepoints while actually making a profit when they sell the things.
    This device is no Z30 replacement. It's a Z30 screen size with a Z10 processor. And it isn't like the Z30's processor is recent, it is just better than the Z10. They are just using written down processor and trying to put lipstick on a pig IMHO.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 01:30 PM
    No hdmi out?

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 10:42 AM
    This device is no Z30 replacement. It's a Z30 screen size with a Z10 processor. And it isn't like the Z30's processor is recent, it is just better than the Z10. They are just using written down processor and trying to put lipstick on a pig IMHO.

Posted via CB10
    This pig has a good chance to fly for Enterprise. It's specs are old yes but to many enterprise customers that is NOT their main issue. BlackBerry 10 OS ensures a relatively good experience and the battery life closes the deal.

This is a very affordable, entry level device for corporate. Once they like it, they will step up.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    03-03-15 10:52 AM
    so its just a refreshed for looks Z10/Z3 with a slighty better GPU.

When I saw the pics was hoping for a Snapdragon 800/801/805 or the new almost as fast as the 800 but cheaper Snapdragon 615 octacore
    03-04-15 01:23 AM
    Not for me
    03-04-15 12:02 PM
    The Z30 is amazing.

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    03-04-15 04:23 PM
89 ... 234