Nope. As I said before, they have a few devices in testing. And at this point I don't even think BlackBerry has decided on what their next device will be fully. Hence the showing of a 'concept' at MWC. We've heard way over blown specs plenty of times before and they generally always come up short of expectations. BlackBerry seems to dump nice specs into their testing platforms and then level them down by the time release comes.

Posted via CB10
    do you, by yourself have a testing device right now ?

lets hope they surprise us with a new high-end all touch for MWC
    12-13-14 02:45 PM
    Nope. As I said before, they have a few devices in testing. [...]
    ...and as we've seen with Z3LTE or Cafe/Kopi, even devices that seem to be ready to launch may be scraped. The fact that N4BB guys saw/played with a device with mid range specs doesn't necessarily imply that it will launch this way. In my opinion it would totally fit Blackberrys behaviour to launch a Snapdragon801/FullHD device in 2015 and price it $600. Btw. what was the last Blackberry smartphone that had specs that were on par with the ones of competitors smartphones and justified high end pricing? Bold 9000?
    12-13-14 02:47 PM
    Well the Z3 LTE or Manitoba whatever you want to call it was rumored to have Z30 specs and a Z3 form-factor last I've heard the Z30 specs would be mid ranged then.

Verizon Z10 on Golan Telecom....?
    The z30 specs is already mid-range I really do hope blackberry doesn't disappoint ... at this point im really tired of disappointments
    12-13-14 03:18 PM
    That's an assumtion you can't prove. If you had done geekbench you would have seen that it had a 1.5 Ghz CPU - like all Classics and not a 1.7 Ghz CPU as you stated. By the way: Why did you change your article to 1.5 Ghz without mentioning it? Because you were wrong and didn't want to admit that?

We'll see when the Rio arrives. N4BB had some pretty good insider information in the last years. Better ones than Crackberry e.g..
    Lol I don't need to prove that to anyone. It was information we obtained through sources. 1.7 was tested, and don't forget we were the first to produce a video and pre release review based on an early test model -- and never stated it to be final hardware. In fact, we stated the contrary. We also stated before updating the article, so chill out.

Things change, and that's an always present thing when discussing upcoming devices. If you assumed everything was final, then that's your mistake.

Also, N4BB jumped the gun twice this year. Rio was #2. Face it, even the best sources can make mistakes. But at least we substantiate things, keep you folks updated, and don't just throw out rumors based on fantasy.

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino likes this.
    12-13-14 03:28 PM
    Also, N4BB jumped the gun twice this year. Rio was #2. Face it, even the best sources can make mistakes. But at least we substantiate things, keep you folks updated, and don't just throw out rumors based on fantasy.
    We all make mistakes. I appreciate your work/site and I'm not judging you because of one information that turned out to be wrong. I just find it a bit harsh to treat the N4BB guys as if they were liars without having any evidence that this is the case. They are basically saying that they saw a "Rio" device that has specs that will be mid range in 2015. Why are you assuming that this not true or just speculation without any serious background? I mean they are one of the largest Blackberry sites and had some exclusive news in the past that turned out to be right, so they got some credibility. That doesn't mean that the device will be published this way (although I think that it sounds pretty realistic), but I see no evidence that their information is pure fantasy.
    12-13-14 03:44 PM
    Sometimes I wish no one told us what was under the hood. Then we could evaluate a device based on its actual real life performance.

Is having a bit more horsepower with lower battery life "better" than the reverse? Is a higher resolution screen with lower device build quality "better" than the reverse?

You can't have everything in one box. Pick the balance that works for you and go with that manufacturer. If the last 6 or 7 years is any indication, then BlackBerry has picked its sweet spot in the spectrum.

I, for one, actually don't want "higher" specs in my phone, because I'm not willing to live with the consequences.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    Mecca EL, HotFix, cman5 and 1 others like this.
    12-13-14 03:49 PM
    We all make mistakes. I appreciate your work/site and I'm not judging you because of one information that turned out to be wrong. I just find it a bit harsh to treat the N4BB guys as if they were liars without having any evidence that this is the case. They are basically saying that they saw a "Rio" device that has specs that will be mid range in 2015. Why are you assuming that this not true or just speculation without any serious background? I mean they are one of the largest Blackberry sites and had some exclusive news in the past that turned out to be right, so they got some credibility. That doesn't mean that the device will be published this way (although I think that it sounds pretty realistic), but I see no evidence that their information is pure fantasy.
    Thanks. My point is just that even the best of us can be wrong, but we always try to keep things updated.

The few of us that know what the Rio actually is, would refute the "Specs" that have been flying around today, (Rumor Mills Channel) - that's all I refute. Rio is real at the moment, but it's not what Marios is trying to play it off as.

If people want reliable information, they need to stick with credible folks and wait some time.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 03:55 PM
    @conite: I don't need to have the latest specs, too. But the hardware should be reasonably priced compared to the hardware you get. And that wasn't the case in the last years. All BB10 devices had hardware that was generations behind the ones of competitors, but the devices were priced the same or even higher.
    In my opionion, if your hardware is worse compared to competitors, than your pricing should be reflecting that. Just to clarify I don't want them to have the cheapest phones and I am aware of the fact that they have to develop their own OS whereas Sony/Samsung/HTC just take Android and use some specific adjustments. But in my opinion, at the moment, Blackberry is delivering to less for too much money. The Classic is the best example of this "trend"

@DYLANHABKIRK: Thanks for the information, this clarifies a few things and makes me having a more optimistic view on the coming device
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    12-13-14 03:55 PM
    @conite:
    But in my opinion, at the moment, Blackberry is delivering to less for too much money.
    But I would pay more for a Z30 today than I would for either a S5 or an iPhone6 because the overall offering (specs, build quality, battery life, OS) is of more value to me. Specs is only one piece of the value puzzle. I'm happy with where BlackBerry has staked its claim.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    melb_me, ponpiri and Mecca EL like this.
    12-13-14 04:10 PM
    The z30 specs is already mid-range I really do hope blackberry doesn't disappoint ... at this point im really tired of disappointments
    Depends on what you consider a disappointment. BlackBerry probably feels that they won't be able to sell a high end all touch for $700 so they will make a mid range one for $550

ponpiri likes this.
    12-13-14 04:12 PM
    Mid range is probably a Snapdragon 600 Quad Core like a GS4 and HTC One. Also used in FireTV. Probably a Z30 with a 600, improved camera, and a couple other small improvements. Glad I bought the Z30 because in the recent sale because they also implied that it wasn't a major upgrade compared to a Z30. Hopefully they don't get stupid with the pricing as BlackBerry seems to always do.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 04:13 PM
    Depends on what you consider a disappointment. BlackBerry probably feels that they won't be able to sell a high end all touch for $700 so they will make a mid range one for $550

Exactly,.. if they have learned ANYTHING from BB10 devices is that they can only sell them at lower than expected prices.

They already know that they have to make sure they can sell this device at $299 and still not lose money.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 04:17 PM
    But I would pay more for a Z30 today than I would for either a S5 or an iPhone6 because the overall offering (specs, build quality, battery life, OS) is of more value to me. Specs is only one piece of the value puzzle. I'm happy with where BlackBerry has staked its claim.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    Well apple products always have the worst specs...
    Androids on the other hand have great ones but i prefer BB10 to Touchwiz any day.

12-13-14 04:18 PM
    Thanks. My point is just that even the best of us can be wrong, but we always try to keep things updated.

The few of us that know what the Rio actually is, would refute the "Specs" that have been flying around today, (Rumor Mills Channel) - that's all I refute. Rio is real at the moment, but it's not what Marios is trying to play it off as.

If people want reliable information, they need to stick with credible folks and wait some time.

Posted via CB10
    What's the channel id ?

Posted via CB10
    wnyjackson likes this.
    12-13-14 04:18 PM
    I'm happy with where BlackBerry has staked its claim
    You know, when Z30 arrived, it had the same pricing as high end devices, but only mid range hardware. If Blackberry had used a SoC that was up to date at that time, it had a Snapdragon 800. That's basically the same SoC as the 801 the Passport has (801 CAN have higher clock rates and supports eMMC 5.0 and DSDA). I don't see any disadvantage if Blackberry had delivered the Z30 with that SoC. In fact, it probably would have sold better because it would have been less overpriced. It seems as if their smartphones need to much time to reach market.

The disappointment is that they'll make a device that should be $550 but try to sell it for $700...
    12-13-14 04:21 PM
    John Chen is in charge now. The pricing on the Passport was good I thought anyhow. AND complain about the Z30 all you want as far as specs but it is a very well made phone which also costs you money.
    12-14-14 07:33 AM
    I think BB does a good job of balancing specs with overall performance and cost. The Z30 I think was a good example of that. They could of at the time gone for a more powerful processor, or a higher resolution screen, but the addition of either would have not only added to the cost of the device, but also decreased battery life. They instead opted for a well-balanced package. I think building a device then, as now, that enters the numbers race will not add much to the overall user experience, and that they are on the right track looking to build a well balanced device, with very good performance, at a reasonable cost.
    12-14-14 07:37 AM
    Guys, the most probable scenario is that if they do come out with a full touch device, it will be the specs of the Passport. Unless they really want to go high end, which I highly doubt it.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL and mithrazor like this.
    12-14-14 07:39 AM
    I think BB does a good job of balancing specs with overall performance and cost.
    Had a good laugh at that.
    Ever wondered why all BB10 phones so far were widely seen as overpriced and had a big price drop soon after it turned out that the devices were shelf warmers? Doesn't look like balanced pricing to me. Although smartphone market has grown explosively, they sold 50 million devices in 2011. In 2014 they sold about 4-5 million BB10 devices in the first three quarters. Around 9 million BB10 phones in total were sold since introduction. I guess that refutes the "reasonable pricing" theory a little bit...

Guys, the most probable scenario is that if they do come out with a full touch device, it will be the specs of the Passport. Unless they really want to go high end, which I highly doubt it.
    That's exactly what I'm thinking...
    12-14-14 08:21 AM
    i wish all the spec mongers would get an �ber high specced device with ****ty plastic cover and android on it, straight from blackberry. then they would cry about the ****ty quality or that it came with an OS blackberry doesnt have to spend money on....

its not all about the specs. AT ALL. my s3/s4/xperia all suck at build quality and OS, BIG TIME. i dont give a flying f if their specs are higher. the OS is not smooth and its all low quality plastic
    12-14-14 08:25 AM
    Z10: plastic cover, Q5: complete plastic body, Passport: plastic cover, Classic: plastic cover.
    12-14-14 08:30 AM
    Z10: plastic cover, Q5: complete plastic body, Passport: plastic cover, Classic: plastic cover.
    I have a q10 but anyway the classic has a stainless steel frame, passport too, not sure about the rest you listed. S3/s4/xperia are full plastic and not even the quality one

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    12-14-14 08:51 AM
    Oh, no.... if the Rio is not an improvement on the Z30, it will be a disaster.

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    12-14-14 08:56 AM
    If Rio is having passport specifications, it will be good for me. Anything less than that just not a good enough upgrade from my Z10.

I know that Z30 is a great device, but on paper spec, the upgrade from Z10 to Z30 is the battery life.

Again we'll see. As I hold the passport.... the back cover feel and scream premium for me. wish the Rio using back cover from passport...

Posted via CB10
    12-14-14 09:11 AM
    S3/s4/xperia are full plastic and not even the quality one
    Some Android devices tend to be fully plastic. That doesn't say anything about the build quality in general. There are even devices that are waterproof to a certain degree. A feature no Blackberry can deliever. There are alumium Android devices with competitive specs, too.
    Your general hate about Android devices looks a bit fanboyish to me.
    Henraay0623 and cman5 like this.
    12-14-14 09:17 AM
145 1234 ...