I think the Leap is well designed and all, but it is lacking in the specs department. If you compare the BlackBerry Leap to an Android low-end phone, such as the Moto G, the Moto G is much faster, as it has a quad core processor clocked at 1.2 Ghz. The processor is slower compared to the BlackBerry Leap, but the quad core brings the opportunity for a. End user to effectively multi task. I think BlackBerry needs to re-think their price point and hardware.

Though I can understand using older CPU'S for a greater cost return, but I think they won't get as much attention, as the Moto G, as it has an attractive price of $180 ,unlocked.

I honestly think that the Leap will have some trouble selling. This just my opinion and would like to hear other people's opinions about the BlackBerry Leap.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 06:55 PM
    It's certainly needed a quad core processor to run the OS, but no need to blackberry, here the culprit is the android OS, source eater

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 01:02 AM
    That's real android OS needs faster processor and more RAM to run properly. BlackBerry doesn't need that but for the leap they should have used snapdragon 400 or 410. S4 is very old...

Posted via CB10
    david7saad likes this.
    03-13-15 02:09 AM
    That's real android OS needs faster processor and more RAM to run properly.
    LOL.
    LazyEvul likes this.
    03-13-15 03:35 AM
    That's real android OS needs faster processor and more RAM to run properly.
    The lowest amount of RAM on a BB10 device is 1.5GB on the Z3. There are many low-spec Android 5.0/5.1 devices with a third of that, 512MB.

As far as CPU efficiency goes, I'm not aware of a significant BB10 advantage over modern Android devices, but if there is one it would only apply to native Cascades apps, most BB10 apps are now Android apps that have a significant CPU DISADVANTAGE.
    JosevuN3 likes this.
    03-13-15 05:59 PM
    Who cares about friggin' specs anymore. Sure they're good, but in this case, who cares? It's not a device somebody who cares about specs is going to consider purchasing. People who want a good device at a low cost with the benefits of BlackBerry 10 out of the box quality will buy this. If you don't like the specs, move on. Nobody asked you.

Posted via CB10
    awindsr likes this.
    03-14-15 01:27 AM
    LOL.
    Not the RAM but the processor. I mistakenly typed it. Tell me a device with S4 processor and runs better than BlackBerry. I mean fluid and longitivity.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-15 10:49 AM
    For the average user the new Leap will be excellent. Some will always want faster and higher specs. That is NOT the purpose of this device. Name any other at this price point that will run as smoothly and lag free.

Z30-simply the best touch BlackBerry 10.3.1.1767
    awindsr likes this.
    03-14-15 02:42 PM
    Who cares about friggin' specs anymore. Sure they're good, but in this case, who cares? It's not a device somebody who cares about specs is going to consider purchasing. People who want a good device at a low cost with the benefits of BlackBerry 10 out of the box quality will buy this. If you don't like the specs, move on. Nobody asked you.

Posted via CB10
    Specs make a big difference. When is comes to the user experience, if the phone is laggy the user is less likely to buy it or they will return it . Specs really make a difference in a persons choice and opinion, because it affects there productivity. and we all know that blackberry is all about productivity. so why not have a quad core processor. It would really help, as my z10 lags from time to time. the processor improvement would also make a faster android runtime.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-14-15 03:30 PM
    Why Blackberry is using so crappy hardware. The leap is 299 Euro here in germany a shiny Nokia 830 goes for 222. I don't get it really. They bought some containers of those dual core chips 2011 or what's going on here?

Z10 LE 10.2.2.1609
    03-15-15 04:33 AM
    Keep telling to yourselves you don't need good specs and it's all about the OS, etc and you guys wonder why blackberry isn't gaining market share....
    03-15-15 05:25 AM
    Keep telling to yourselves you don't need good specs and it's all about the OS, etc and you guys wonder why blackberry isn't gaining market share....
    BlackBerry OS requires less powered cpu than android that doesn't mean the leap should have snapdragon S4 processor. They should have kept atleast snapdragon 400 for good performance. It won't sell good than...

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 07:39 AM
    You are spot on, go into any phone shop and listen to the lay person talking with their friends or family about which phone to get. Irrespective of whether they are looking at the cheapest phones or the most expensive, all you hear is 'How many GB has that one got?', 'This one is quad core'. They haven't got a clue what that means but they assume more is better (and to be fair most of the time it does).

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 06:15 PM
    You are spot on, go into any phone shop and listen to the lay person talking with their friends or family about which phone to get. Irrespective of whether they are looking at the cheapest phones or the most expensive, all you hear is 'How many GB has that one got?', 'This one is quad core'. They haven't got a clue what that means but they assume more is better (and to be fair most of the time it does).

Posted via CB10
    Lol who the hell talks about phone specs in the real world? No one effing cares.
    We care because honestly we are nerds.
    All people care is can it run this or that darn app.
    Does it take good pictures?
    Is the screen nice, shinny no colorful?
    Look at iphones 6 using x64 processor with 1GB ram.
    They can't even utilize the architecture at this stage with the ARM processor they either have two, if lucky 3 micro cores.
    The reason why BlackBerry can't capture market place it's their horrible advertising and marketing.
    Also they aren't bringing anything absolutely anything new to the table. Or at least pretend they are. Sort of like Apple has and continue to do until this day.

Supporting the people's struggle worldwide via my STA 100-5, Z30.
    03-15-15 08:50 PM
    Lol who the hell talks about phone specs in the real world? No one effing cares.
    They can't even utilize the architecture at this stage with the ARM processor they either have two, if lucky 3 micro cores.
    The reason why BlackBerry can't capture market place it's their horrible advertising and marketing.
    Also they aren't bringing anything absolutely anything new to the table. Or at least pretend they are. Sort of like Apple has and continue to do until this day.

You should venture into the real world, you'll be mightily surprised. Whether it's a PC, Tablet, Mobile Phone or even a Set-top box even the layman talks about specs.

Those who know (nerds if you like) do not care, because they understand there is more to performance than a CPU clock-speed, that is the point.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 09:50 PM
    You should venture into the real world, you'll be mightily surprised. Whether it's a PC, Tablet, Mobile Phone or even a Set-top box even the layman talks about specs.

Those who know (nerds if you like) do not care, because they understand there is more to performance than a CPU clock-speed, that is the point.

Posted via CB10
    An advise you should take indeed.
    Costumer wise companies know that as long as it looks cool crap painted in gold will sell.
    As a former in store manager I know that only 5% of people care about specs.
    You get someone with their tax return walk into the store ready to buy new phones.
    A store rep offers the fastest phone whether that's a lumia or a galaxy s6.
    The buyer will immediately response to her aren't iphones faster?
    The rep would politely explain they're not but their OS is more refined.
    Then the costumer will go full cognitive dissonance and refuse to believe. Claim they are the best because Oprah says so and will most likely walk out of the store with an over priced iphone.

Scenario 2
    A smelly neckeard enters the store with his nerd friends.
    Asks the rep what's the max possible clock via cyanogen mod an s6 will handle.
    The rep responds that based on the latest benchmark it is what it may be.
    The neckeard laughs and says that's nothing compared to the Xiaomi whatever.
    The rep will politely say we don't carry Xiaomi devices.
    Neckeard will still walk our with an S6 due to customization in the OS.

Guess what sells the most.
    Iphones.
    Guess why they sell the most?
    Because everyone has them and because "they're cool to have."
    People are inherently idiots and that is a reality companies know how to exploit.

gvs1341 likes this.
    03-15-15 10:13 PM
    Guess what sells the most.
    Iphones.
    Guess why they sell the most?
    Because everyone has them and because "they're cool to have."
    People are inherently idiots and that is a reality companies know how to exploit.

Samsung sell the most handsets, they are affordable and can still do many of the 'cool' things an iPhone can.

Apple certainly know how to exploit idiots, they have been doing it for long enough.

I can only talk for the UK market which is one of BlackBerry's strongest, I think we should assume there are differences between the UK consumers and wherever your experiences lie as a store manager.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 10:27 PM
    Samsung sell the most handsets, they are affordable and can still do many of the 'cool' things an iPhone can.

Apple certainly know how to exploit idiots, they have been doing it for long enough.

I can only talk for the UK market which is one of BlackBerry's strongest, I think we should assume there are differences between the UK consumers and wherever your experiences lie as a store manager.

Posted via CB10
    But I read somewhere that UK is losing BBRY subscribers too. Could it be that UK has the same percentage of "idiots" as elsewhere?

Not that calling folks who buy other choices "idiots" is cool... but hey.
    WanShark69 likes this.
    03-15-15 10:45 PM
    It's either you improve the software to efficiently run on any given specifications, or you upgrade your hardware, to compensate for sluggish software. BlackBerry has to do either of those things. I see BlackBerry improving their software efficiency, but even improving the software has its limit.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 07:44 AM
    But I read somewhere that UK is losing BBRY subscribers too. Could it be that UK has the same percentage of "idiots" as elsewhere?

Not that calling folks who buy other choices "idiots" is cool... but hey.
    BlackBerry gone out of style for the younger generation, and the young generation makes the majority of the population. That's why you see that BlackBerry has a lost a lot of customer. I remember, a few years ago, like 3 to be in fact, that everyone in my high school had a BlackBerry device. It's crazy how demographics change, and trends.

I think BlackBerry just has to focus on building their strengths, in business and move on the to the "regular consumer ".

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 07:48 AM
    BlackBerry gone out of style for the younger generation, and the young generation makes the majority of the population. That's why you see that BlackBerry has a lost a lot of customer. I remember, a few years ago, like 3 to be in fact, that everyone in my high school had a BlackBerry device. It's crazy how demographics change, and trends.

I think BlackBerry just has to focus on building their strengths, in business and move on the to the "regular consumer ".

Posted via CB10
    This is true, unfortunately a lot of their market share success was with cheap devices and an outdated OS. This has left many people in a position where they wouldn't even look at another BlackBerry.

No doubt BlackBerry lost a certain subsection of consumer after the UK riots when RIM had to hand over BBM conversation data.

The average consumer does not understand OS efficiency, the knowledge they have is more than likely based on their PC experience. This is why specs matter to them, it's not because they are idiots, they need a way to compare devices and unless BlackBerry make it clear how they compare to the rest then consumers will rely on hardware specs that are printed out on every price ticket.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 10:57 AM
    Why not look at iPhone specs?

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 05:41 PM
    Why not look at iPhone specs?

Posted via CB10
    iPhones are shiny, this will attract a certain group of people for this reason alone. BlackBerry will not outshine Apple but they could certainly compete with Android manufacturers.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 05:49 PM

Many people who buy Mobile they don't know nothing about what processor it has, screen etc. All think that if it is an iPhone than it certainly is going best in market. I am talking about the country I live (india) .
    IPhone is a the only quality brand people think here. Remaining all are waste or not compared to iPhone. And whoever you talk and tell them I am getting an BlackBerry than their immediate response is who buys BlackBerry these days. It is a waste company and the products are good enough. They don't know their mobiles, OS, processor or anything. It is how it works in india.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 05:52 AM
    The question I always ask someone who gets a new phone is how long does the battery last? If it doesn�t make it from 6am to midnight it's not on my list of choices, or I'm looking for a case that adds battery life. On my Z30 I am never worried about battery life. As much as I would appreciate more horse power, it needs to be coupled with battery life. I'd say my priorities are battery life, horsepower, screen resolution, and ability to run select Android applications. The only thing I miss from Android is the ability to use Chromecast devices.

Posted via CB10
    Tony K2 likes this.
    03-18-15 02:21 PM
43 12