Just to let other people know about some more features which are missing from the Leap. The BlackBerry Virtual Expert is missing and cannot be downloaded from BlackBerry World as it is not available.

Also, if you go to BlackBerry Hub settings you will notice that on the Z10 and (and Z30 as far as I know) you have the option to subscribe to something called "Emergency Alerts". This feature offers you different threat/emergency alerts based on your location. It includes "Presidential Alerts", "Extreme Threat Alerts" "Severe Threat Alerts" and "Amber Alerts". You can turn each one of these features on or off.

The Leap doesn't have this option/application available...

Cartman says: Screw you guys I'm going home!
    06-02-15 09:21 AM
    And by the way looking at both the Leap and the Z10 side by side...the screen and display is better, clearer and crisp on the Z10 versus the Leap...

But to be fair I have to use the Leap a lot more allow the phone to settle first and gain some mileage. After all the Z10 saw over two years of usage to get to the optimised state it was in...

Last edited by adonesc; 06-03-15 at 08:44 PM.
    06-02-15 11:14 AM
    Also no native Skyscanner and no Easyjet app in BlackBerry World

LeapSTR100-1/10.3......
    adonesc likes this.
    06-02-15 11:17 AM

LeapSTR100-1/10.3......
    Just got mine yesterday...and was happy for a little bit...but after using it now for about 48 hours...it's just wow!

I mean I get its an entry level device, I would have put up the specs and some of the other stuff...but not when they just plain omit mentioning the fact that even more items are missing...

Yet these are the early days for the Leap and I have to give it a fair shake before forming a more definitive opinion...

Last edited by adonesc; 06-03-15 at 08:46 PM.
    06-02-15 11:25 AM
    Just to let other people know about some more features which are missing from the Leap. The BlackBerry Virtual Expert is missing and cannot be downloaded from BlackBerry World as it is not available.
    BlackBerry quote:

In instances where the BBVE application is not available within BlackBerry World for your device model or software version, the BBVE application can be launched from within the Help application using the following steps:
    From the Home screen, find and tap on the Help application icon
    Tap the menu button, indicated by three horizontal lines, in the lower Left corner.
    Tap Testing
    Read the BBVE*related*information displayed and tap the Try this now button

Also, if you go to BlackBerry Hub settings you will notice that on the Z10 and (and Z30 as far as I know) you have the option to subscribe to something called "Emergency Alerts".
    The Leap doesn't have this option/application available
    This is very much service provider and region specific. I'm confident the Leap has this functionality built in, but your service provider will need to enable it for your device and/or SIM.

On my Z10 I don't have the option of these alerts.
    06-02-15 12:48 PM

LeapSTR100-1/10.3......
    Upon a new device release, there are often apps not available simply because the dev has not "flipped the switch" yet and listed the new compatible device in BB World. Some third party apps not yet available for Leap via BB World while it's still being rolled out are not exactly missing features.

Have you tried to do anything about it?
    On the BB World page for any app, there will be a link to Contact Developer in the menu. Not saying you should have to, but it would have been as much effort as making your post here to send a message to dev that says: " Please add new BlackBerry Leap to Compatible Devices list for your app(s) in BB World. It has similar specs and screen to Z10 or Z30 and should be completely compatible."

I've been pleasantly surprised when I've reached out to devs this way before.
    adonesc likes this.
    06-02-15 04:43 PM
    Upon a new device release, there are often apps not available simply because the dev has not "flipped the switch" yet and listed the new compatible device in BB World. Some third party apps not yet available for Leap via BB World while it's still being rolled out are not exactly missing features.

On the BB World page for any app, there will be a link to Contact Developer in the menu. Not saying you should have to, but it would have been as much effort as making your post here to send a message to dev that says: " Please add new BlackBerry Leap to Compatible Devices list for your app(s) in BB World. It has similar specs and screen to Z10 or Z30 and should be completely compatible."

I've been in touch with an old friend from BlackBerry and hopefully they will be available soon

LeapSTR100-1/10.3......
    adonesc likes this.
    06-02-15 06:36 PM
    BlackBerry quote:

In instances where the BBVE application is not available within BlackBerry World for your device model or software version, the BBVE application can be launched from within the Help application using the following steps:
    From the Home screen, find and tap on the Help application icon
    Tap the menu button, indicated by three horizontal lines, in the lower Left corner.
    Tap Testing
    Read the BBVE*related*information displayed and tap the Try this now button

This is very much service provider and region specific. I'm confident the Leap has this functionality built in, but your service provider will need to enable it for your device and/or SIM.

On my Z10 I don't have the option of these alerts.
    Honestly, thanks for that because you just saved BlackBerry a returned smartphone. I was soo angry...the lady at Shop BlackBerry was getting ready to process my refund and send me an email on how to return my Leap...fortunately I saw your message...and it stopped me from unloading on them...and it's keeping the phone in my hands for now...

Honestly, perhaps they should look at hiring people like you...who know how to answer damn questions and talk to customers...

Anyway, cheers mate! Thanks a bunch!

Elite1 likes this.
    06-02-15 06:47 PM

Thanks for calming down a frustrated former Z10 owner and current...slightly more enthusiastic Leap owner.

Honestly, reading the advice posted here, makes me realise how lucky BlackBerry is to have such dedicated fandom!!! They should kiss the arses of people like you guys.

As I've said above ...you just saved them a returned phone...

Thanks again for all the advice and help! You're the reason I haven't "murdered" my Leap...LOL!

PS. By the way the suggestions mentioned above do really help!

Elite1 likes this.
    06-02-15 06:56 PM
    I've been in touch with an old friend from BlackBerry and hopefully they will be available soon

LeapSTR100-1/10.3......
    Thanks for replying! It is appreciated!

06-02-15 07:06 PM

LeapSTR100-1/10.3......
    Awesome! Good for you for trying something.

As these aren't apps by BlackBerry, but rather third party apps made for BB10, I'd still highly recommend you send a quick message to the dev via that Contact Developer link from BB World. You could always tweet at these third party devs too, if you're part of the Twitterverse.

It might mean more to them coming directly from a user/customer. And if they hear from a few users directly... Well, so much the better!
    adonesc likes this.
    06-02-15 09:07 PM
    I expressed the same issue when speaking to BlackBerry Technical Support about my device's stiff buttons. They wanted me to run the BBVE test. It's not installed or available on BlackBerry World, but it is accessible. It's integrated into the Help app under Testing.
    adonesc likes this.
    06-02-15 09:18 PM
    Emergency alerts option is available on my Leap with either an AT&T (Cricket) or T-Mobile US SIM chip, here.

Posted via CB10
    adonesc, baarn and Elite1 like this.
    06-02-15 09:19 PM