Hey Guys,

My dad is experiencing an issue with his Leap having terrible sound quality, due to this crackle when audio is played from it.

The phone isn't that old, and has been taken care of the same as any would, in a case, carefully handled etc.

Has anyone else face this issue? I bought it from Rogers for him back in May, so it still has its warranty. Better to go through Rogers or BlackBerry?

Any help would be appreciated, and thank you in advance!

Shredding the  BlackBerry Passport
    11-08-15 08:48 AM
    Sounds like the speaker is blown. You bought from Rogers, your first call for warranty is Rogers.
    11-08-15 09:08 AM
    I guess he called Roger's and they gave him the old run around, "Call BlackBerry," then BlackBerry says "Call Rogers".

I'm not sure if just bringing it into the store would help clear things up?

11-08-15 10:15 AM
    Well... strictly, he has no warranty. You bought it, you have the warranty. That means you might have to do the legwork - or have him act as your "agent" to take it into the store on your behalf. From what I know of Robbers they will try to evade their liability so be prepared for a fight.

As far as the speaker goes, the usual causes of failure are overloading (too loud) or defective components. However it is also worth a try to work a plug in and out of the headset socket a few times just in case it is a dirty switching contact. Also listen on headphone and/or speakerphone (call not music), if the fault only occurs on speaker it confirms that it is the speaker is defective.
    11-08-15 10:29 AM
    The speaker of my two month old (brand new)Leap also started to crackle severely today.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 06:36 AM
    The speaker of my two month old (brand new)Leap also started to crackle severely today.

Posted via CB10
    You should get it to the store to get it replaced since it should still be under warranty

Z10-STL100-2 | SR10.3.2.2514 | OS10.3.2.2789
    11-12-15 12:11 PM
    I've had my Leap for about 4 - 5 months now and I've got no issues with my Speakers. Music plays loudly with no problems. Obviously the Bass isn't very good but there are no signs of "Crackling"

Best thing to do it take it back to where you bought it from and ask for it to be fixed. Hope your Leap gets fixed soon. Such a shame BlackBerry dropped the ball with its speaker.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-15 02:09 AM
    I have noticed when I preview a ringtone the speaker does not crackle. So I think it must be a software issue. My Leap is running OS Version 10.3.2.2789 currently. Unfortunately I'm working away from home and I don't have my laptop with me so I can't wipe the phone and reload the OS with a autoloader to see if it will fix this issue.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-15 03:25 AM
    Had the leap 6 months and had to repair speaker twice so far. Keep volume at half to see if that would work, but no.

I have noticed when I preview a ringtone the speaker does not crackle. So I think it must be a software issue. My Leap is running OS Version 10.3.2.2789 currently. Unfortunately I'm working away from home and I don't have my laptop with me so I can't wipe the phone and reload the OS with a autoloader to see if it will fix this issue.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-16 11:09 AM
    Replace it with a Experia Z2 speaker replaced mine 4 months ago still sounds great.

BlackBerry Leap.
    12-15-16 03:55 PM
    Hey Guys,

My dad is experiencing an issue with his Leap having terrible sound quality, due to this crackle when audio is played from it.

The phone isn't that old, and has been taken care of the same as any would, in a case, carefully handled etc.

Has anyone else face this issue? I bought it from Rogers for him back in May, so it still has its warranty. Better to go through Rogers or BlackBerry?

Any help would be appreciated, and thank you in advance!

I've had my BlackBerry Leap for about 16 months and I haven't had any issues with the speaker. (I've tested full volume). I would recommend getting it fixed if still under warranty. Possibly just a bad speaker.

Posted Via BlackBerry Q5
    12-18-16 07:37 AM
    The speakers in my Leap just went again for the second time in 6 months. I have a device care plan so they will send me a new phone for free but it is a pain having to set up the new phone again.
    01-07-17 12:11 PM