04-27-15 11:42 PM
47 12
tools
    I'm curious if AT&T is going to sell it? They don't put a lot of dollars behind marketing a device they don't have an exclusive on.
    adonesc likes this.
    04-09-15 08:54 AM
    Agree!
    Stop and think why we buy cell phones in the first place if not for the trend?
    adonesc likes this.
    04-09-15 08:56 AM
    And now...like a kick in the nuts, apparently no 32GB's of internal memory either! Only 16GB's, which is even worse, and takes what could have been at least another selling point for the Leap, alongside the 5' screen and larger battery...

Cartman says: Screw you guys I'm going home!
    04-16-15 06:49 PM
    Now the Leap will reveal whether Chen's enterprise strategy is going to work (cheap or affordable touch for fleet deployments), if the consumers stay away (who already have or likely prefer the Z10/30 because of their multimedia capabilities)...

:-D

  Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....  
    adonesc likes this.
    04-20-15 10:57 PM
  5. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Mistakenly thought this thread was about those who actually have one and are commenting on it...

Just another ranting thread.... move along nothing here boys... lol

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 11:56 PM
    Just curious, how often do you use NFC on your current phone and what do you use it for? Same with HDMI outputs and the compass.

In Australia our banks have been slow to take up NFC technology, only a few of the major banks offer it and even then I'm pretty sure it is only available on Android or iPhones (not that BlackBerry is doing their bit in encouraging the banks to support them).

I understand the reason behind not including a HDMI connection. Most televisions connect directly to the internet or have some device such as Apple TV, Chromecast or even a PS4 plugged into it. I always thought HDMI in a corporate setting would be used by firms involved in multimedia production such as advertising, video production or photography and I think these sorts of enterprises have traditionally used Apple products.

Compasses on mobile phones have always been inaccurate and to be honest I have never understood why manufacturers continue to include them on phones. The Leap has a GPS with a default maps application.

The battery on the Leap is advertised as lasting up to 25 hours long, this wouldn't have been achievable if a removable battery was used

BlackBerry Classic = Corporate User Perfection!
    04-21-15 12:26 AM
    When BlackBerry designed and released the Z10 it was marketed and sold as a premium, high end smart-phone with a $749.00 price-tag. It was sold as a last ditch effort to compete seriously with the iPhone and failed miserably. It therefore contained every piece of technology available at the time, including HDMI connections, NFC and everything the consumer could possibly want. Released alongside the Q-10, together the 2 models made up the entire BlackBerry market in many countries for nearly 18 months (in Australia the first device to replace it was the Classic).

The Leap is priced at $275.00, how can you seriously think that it would be an upgrade from a $749.00 phone that you purchased less than 2 years ago? I'm surprised that it has the features it does, effectively making it comparable to other phones sold at a much higher price.

Rather than competing with the top end of the market, BlackBerry is now trying to sweep up the entire bottom half with the 'Leap'. The apparent target market of young professionals who are working at start-ups is complete marketing gibberish which will appeal to every teenager and person in their early 20's who wishes that they were a young professional working at a start-up but is really a college student who couldn't afford the HTC One M9.

The Leap is a low cost, budget phone which will likely be sold along with pre-paid starter kits at the 7/11.

BlackBerry Classic = Corporate User Perfection!
    adonesc likes this.
    04-21-15 03:59 AM
    The 'Leap' is like the residue of Z30 and Z10. BlackBerry has no option but to release the 'Leap' - to deplete old parts / materials inventory. They have to price the 'Leap' that much, to, at least, recover production cost and get some profits. If it is not going to work, plan b is to get break even i.e. reduce the price. If it still not going to work, plan c is just to deplete is regardless of what (since stocking those unsold units will cost them too).

They should do some business strategy with different approach instead. Make that 'Leap' as investment to BlackBerry next generation of mobiles. And making it as a part of investment means that they should not expecting profit from it. They should price that as low as they can - that it will be hard for BlackBerry users (old & new) to resist not to buy one because of its giveaway price. If this happens, one thing for sure is that, the 'Leap' will be available (if not everyone), in almost every mobile phone users - including those iSheeps and die-hard Android users (out of curiosity). And this is where the 'return of investment' (ROI) will kick in i.e. once other users experience the fluidity, smoothness and security of BB10 OS. And before we know, everyone is waiting for BlackBerry to release high-end units that regardless of their prices, there will be market for them - waiting eagerly...

Posted via CB10
    adonesc likes this.
    04-21-15 05:59 AM
    No one forced you to reading anything. Bye. Bye.

04-22-15 07:46 PM
    Guys the Leap wasn't design as a high end device. Blackberry release this phone with a specific market in mind and that is young professionals and a workforce tool. If you're looking for a spec'd up phone then I suggest the Passport with plenty of specs or wait for another high Blackberry. If you're tired of waiting then move on to Android where that area is extremely competitive with hardware specs but still performs like crap compared to Blackberry mediocre processor on BB10.

If I was a CEO of a company and is looking for a productivity tool for all my staff I would instantly purchase a Leap for every employees. Adding a quad-core will just encourage the staff to download more games and lessening battery life to complete a productive day.
    adonesc likes this.
    04-23-15 04:01 AM
    Good things about the Leap are:

1. Big Battery
    2. LCD display
    3. The size
    4. It's made to communicate, not play games on.
    5. A great CANADIAN company name it.
    6. You can buy BlackBerry Care warranty for it
    7. The security of the OS.
    8. Productivity is priority.

What's not to like?

Buy one. You'll love it. It's a device that is secure and actually works right.

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    bruce73 and adonesc like this.
    04-23-15 05:04 AM
    Good things about the Leap are:

1. Big Battery
    2. LCD display
    3. The size
    4. It's made to communicate, not play games on.
    5. A great CANADIAN company name it.
    6. You can buy BlackBerry Care warranty for it
    7. The security of the OS.
    8. Productivity is priority.

What's not to like?

Buy one. You'll love it. It's a device that is secure and actually works right.

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    But it doesn't have 8-cores and 40gb of RAM!! (all of which will trash the Leap's nice big battery)

Posted via Z10
    adonesc likes this.
    04-23-15 11:41 AM
    Ya, ok...whatever.

Posted from BlackBerry Z10.
    04-23-15 12:44 PM
    I think he was being sarcastic

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 02:21 PM
    Ya, ok...whatever.

It was sarcasm.

Posted via Z10
    04-23-15 02:27 PM
    Yes. I'm aware of that. Lol.

adonesc likes this.
    04-23-15 02:39 PM
    Just ordered on for the office runner. Gets here Monday.

Posted via CB10
    adonesc likes this.
    04-24-15 01:09 AM
    Just ordered on for the office runner. Gets here Monday.

Posted via CB10
    Slow runner...

Posted via CB10... on my Z30 10.3.1.1784
    adonesc likes this.
    04-24-15 01:22 AM
    Thanks for all the replies, thoughts, advice, ideas and information.

I guess at the end of the day, you have to hold one in your hands, see how it operates, what it can do etc.

And just to be clear. The Leap is/was a question mark for me. It doesn't mean I hate it or want to see it fail. Nor will I leave BlackBerry or stop being a user. If anything, I would have given up on them during the past couple of years, I went through that whole thing with the PlayBook, which I still have (64GB) and use by the way, among other things.

I am on my third BlackBerry device now.

Whatever I mentioned in the original posting were just some initial thoughts...and was looking to see what other people, perhaps more knowledgeable than me and more tech savy, had to say...

Is just that as my Z10 has now gotten over the two year mark, I am looking for a replacement. The Z30 has great specs and a killer price. What stops me in my tracks is that it is an almost 2 year phone also. And even with the price drop...the age of the device, is not a complete write-off, but still, I would rather want something new...

And since I'm buying my devices upfront at full price, I don't have as much disposable income to go around and purchase several devices at the same time, or every 6 months. For me if I purchase one, it needs to give me at least a year of service minimum, before I even think of replacing it. So you understand why I'm somewhat skiddish. Not trying to be difficult.

The Z10 is still performing fine...but I initially thought that the Leap would be a direct replacement. Anyways we will see.

I guess I will reserve final judgement once I get my hands on a Leap and see for myself how it performs.

By the way, does anyone have any idea of whether or not there might be any devices beyond the upcoming BlackBerry slider?!

04-24-15 09:35 AM
    I got a Leap for my spouse as I am currently a classic user. I think the leap needs a toolbelt like the 9900 had because my biggest issue with the phone is that they put the touch quick-launch icons, the phone, camera, keyboard and motions to downsize programs in the same area. This makes the phone kind of clunky and really hurts the way the phone operates. It often times takes multiple tries to downsize a program because the blackberry will be unsure if you want to bring up the keyboard or downsize the program. If someone knows some tricks about using the phone let me know as this is the first touch screen blackberry I have come in contact with but I didn't find any customization options that would help the phone work better. I think to close a program you should just pinch the screen, and then to bring up the keyboard I think you should just hold your finger on the screen. If these motions were more distinct I think the phone would be easier to operate. My wife is coming from an iphone 4, so the phone needs to be simpler to use since I would argue she is the target demographic for the leap.
    adonesc likes this.
    04-25-15 11:15 AM
    I have said this in the past, one of the things I wish they had transferred from the PlayBook to the new BlackBerry 10 devices, would have the virtual "Off" button and the option to "flick away" any open apps. On the PlayBook you have the little "x" so as to close the app after you minimise it, but you could also flick them away to close them, not unlike the way you can flick words on the virtual keyboard.

The PlayBook was a missed opportunity, and a real treasure trove of design and functionality. BlackBerry shouldn't have dismissed it that fast.

Some things would have been worth keeping...

bigjman likes this.
    04-27-15 10:15 PM
    I'm curious if AT&T is going to sell it? They don't put a lot of dollars behind marketing a device they don't have an exclusive on.
    Well, even if they do sell it, I wouldn't look for a marketing campaign from "Old Blue" that is any larger than what has already been initiated for the Classic or Passport.
    04-27-15 11:42 PM
47 12