This is perhaps the most puzzling and frustrating device for me that BlackBerry has launched in recent years.

While I personally admired the Passport and the Classic, I was never interested in buying one, as after 2 years of using an all touch device, my Z10, the experience I've had with it, especially using such a fluid and practical OS as BlackBerry 10, made the thought of returning to a physical keyboard BlackBerry smartphone, not an appealing one.

So I was wondering and waiting for BlackBerry to announce the next all touch replacement for the Z10 or Z30. And instead we got the Leap and a slider...(not much to say about the slider...as I don't have enough information).

I would have been on the Leap like hotcakes, the lower price (I tend to buy my devices outright) 32GB's internal memory, a stronger, bigger battery, expandable memory up to 128GB's...was well and good, as was the 5' screen, although to be honest, I never had a problem with the 4.2 ' display of the Z10. I also liked the spartan, industrial and minimalist design of the Leap...but then I got a hold of the rest of the specs ...

No NFC, non-removable battery, no HDMI connection, no compass, and the rest of them basically describe the Z10 over 2 years ago at launch (minus the features I mentioned above)...including what must be the biggest headscratcher of them all, the processor...which is basically almost 3 years old.

Now I understand the rationale behind this device, the consumers it aims to target and the space it will occupy in a highly competitive and ever changing telecommunications market.

The Leap is meant as an entry level, no frills device...a bare bones supped up Z3...which never got a North American release.

And yet...seeing what other companies offer with their comparative smartphone models, the Leap loses almost by default. Even an entry level device with a low point price, has to offer something, some incentive to attract the customers BlackBerry has been soo desperately trying to regain from a smaller and smaller slice of a market they used to control.

If BlackBerry wants to not only stem the bleeding of their hardware division, but return it to profit, in that case they have to start releasing devices that make sense. In spite of not being over enthused by the Classic and Passport, those at least I understand.

I don't understand the Leap.

The Leap is an old car with a new chassis...or one of those outdated school textbooks that receive new covers, but the content, the information within is outdated. Even worse, if you put it next to a Z10...it is less...and that BlackBerry cannot do if it hopes to be successful with fickle consumers...and even battle hardened loyalists.

At this point in time, I would better off moving on to a Z30...

Cartman says: Screw you guys I'm going home!
    Last edited by adonesc; 03-24-15 at 10:52 PM.
    03-24-15 08:48 PM
    Apparently Chen got requests from some IT people to give them a cheap full touch device because the young employees preferred that.

You'd think by now they've learned the dangers of lasting and overwhelming the negative emotions and perceptions attached to a crappy work-issued BlackBerry, and realized that a "work-issued" device is an amazing brand marketing opportunity (subsidized by the employer!).

But no. Instead they will again stick the BlackBerry name to a low-performing device that will surely be immediately compared (with very little good will) to the latest flagship device the employee has as their personal device.

New tag line: "BlackBerry, the cr*p you are (probably no longer) forced to use at work"

Posted via CB10
    adonesc and WanShark69 like this.
    03-24-15 09:12 PM
    It seems like BlackBerry has no other choice but to use all those parts they purchased in bulk quantity thinking that it will be a business-wise idea... just a hint...

Posted via CB10
    adonesc, jay64 and WanShark69 like this.
    03-24-15 10:25 PM
    Why so much hate on the device. What's so important about specs anyway? This device has plenty of ram and ram is what will make it perform. The dual core 1.5 will be faster than a quad 1.2. Apps aren't programmed for multi-threading making the quad almost useless.

It's going to be awesome. I forgot to mention the fact less battery will be consumed from the CPU? It's important for Leap users to keep going from morning to late in the afternoon. This device will get the job done.

If your bashing this thing, this isn't the device for you.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 10:29 PM
    You, know if they had left the same specs as in the Z10, like NFC, HDMI connection, compass, and the new Leap specs, 5' screen, larger battery and the 32GB's internal storage, I would buy it.

Maybe at least a if they added the Z30 1.7 Ghz processor (versus the 1.5 Ghz the Leap has...as does the Z10)...

But you repackage a 2 year old plus phone and sell it as new...with only few changes, actually with less features than before! That is a no no...especially for a company in BlackBerry's position...

mighthor likes this.
    03-24-15 10:41 PM
    Why so much hate on the device. What's so important about specs anyway? This device has plenty of ram and ram is what will make it perform. The dual core 1.5 will be faster than a quad 1.2. Apps aren't programmed for multi-threading making the quad almost useless.

It's going to be awesome. I forgot to mention the fact less battery will be consumed from the CPU? It's important for Leap users to keep going from morning to late in the afternoon. This device will get the job done.

Posted via CB10
    Don't get me wrong . I don't hate the device. It just doesn't make sense to me. I would rather retain my Z10 or move over to the Z30. Buying the Leap would be like buying a Z10 - ... 2 years later...

WanShark69 likes this.
    03-24-15 10:44 PM
    Don't get me wrong . I don't hate the device. It just doesn't make sense to me. I would rather retain my Z10 or move over to the Z30. Buying the Leap would be like buying a Z10 - ... 2 years later...

There are many people who don't even know that there is a company named BlackBerry. If they use this device that will be good due to more battery than z10 and screen size

Posted via CB10
    adonesc and Nascarfan24 like this.
    03-25-15 05:39 AM
    Very well said by OP, reflects my sentiments almost exactly, except I dont feel the Leap is an attractive device in any way shape or form, I would much prefer a Z10 with a larger battery.

Posted via CB10
    adonesc and WanShark69 like this.
    03-25-15 09:53 AM
    Yeah Z10 with larger battery would be nice. But oh well have charger bundle and three spare batteries, makes me through the day easyly.

Z10 LE 10.2.2.1609
    WanShark69 and adonesc like this.
    03-25-15 06:15 PM
    Yeah Z10 with larger battery would be nice. But oh well have charger bundle and three spare batteries, makes me through the day easyly.

Z10 LE 10.2.2.1609
    Likewise...

Posted via CB10
    adonesc likes this.
    03-25-15 06:17 PM
    You, know if they had left the same specs as in the Z10, like NFC, HDMI connection, compass, and the new Leap specs, 5' screen, larger battery and the 32GB's internal storage, I would buy it.

Maybe at least a if they added the Z30 1.7 Ghz processor (versus the 1.5 Ghz the Leap has...as does the Z10)...

But you repackage a 2 year old plus phone and sell it as new...with only few changes, actually with less features than before! That is a no no...especially for a company in BlackBerry's position...
    Clearly you missed the most important feature of the Leap which gives it a clear advantage over the Z10 and brings it to the cutting edge :

the FM radio
    adonesc and bruce73 like this.
    03-25-15 08:00 PM
    Clearly you missed the most important feature of the Leap which gives it a clear advantage over the Z10 and brings it to the cutting edge :

the FM radio
    LOL!

Ive heard BlackBerry is also looking into an OEM 8 track player you can add on, for a fee of course...

Posted via CB10
    adonesc likes this.
    03-25-15 08:53 PM
    Leap is... interesting... but everyone is waiting for the successor to the Z30 (the myth is Z50? lol)

Leap name is.. good but why 'leap' ?? leap to where? lol, I'm still sticking with my Q10 its a little workhorse.
    adonesc likes this.
    03-25-15 09:45 PM
    I bought a Z30 for now and I'm waiting to see if the slider is the premium phone I think it will be (like the Passport). The Leap is ok for a basic phone but it's not as nice as the Z30.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    adonesc likes this.
    03-26-15 08:37 AM
    Leap is... interesting... but everyone is waiting for the successor to the Z30 (the myth is Z50? lol)

Leap name is.. good but why 'leap' ?? leap to where? lol, I'm still sticking with my Q10 its a little workhorse.
    Z30 replacement is not coming this year.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    adonesc likes this.
    03-26-15 08:38 AM
    But we tend to forget BlackBerry is not known for producing high tech devices, the passport is really an exception. What about the curves? Were they high tech devices? I don't think so and they were very successful top selling devices. I know the time has changed but BlackBerry has never offered top specs devices.

Posted via CB10
    adonesc likes this.
    03-26-15 03:40 PM
    Why call it the leap. The blackberry stone age is a better name for not moving forward
    03-26-15 03:47 PM
    Thanks for all the replies thoughts and advice. I really hope they succeed with this device. This won't detract from me continuing to be a BlackBerry user, nor will I give up as one.

Hope for the best. And who knows...maybe they have something left in their R&D goodie bag beyond the slider, if not this year maybe next...

03-26-15 09:35 PM
    Why call it the leap. The blackberry stone age is a better name for not moving forward
    That's what I thought so too. They seem to be going backwards instead of forwards. Where I am from (Singapore) nobody buys blackberry anymore. You know security starts to become a secondary option rather than a primary when all our local banks CEO, VPs, SVPs get issued iPhones instead of BlackBerry. Even self employed people like myself goes out to buy the iPhone because there were so many apps out there to help me simplify my work. I can do a money transfer to anywhere in the world to pay for my purchases, even order McDonald's on it.

Encrypted via my Z10.3.1.2582 / STL100-2
    adonesc likes this.
    03-27-15 05:46 AM
    People who buy top spec devices don't buy BB anyway (not in large number) might as well make cheaper devices and try to make more people discover BB10.

Just a thought.

I also want to go with a full touch as a second device and will look into the leap, but will probably go for a Z10 for the reasons mentioned above.
    03-27-15 07:37 AM

Posted via CB10
    Its going to be awesome? What about this phone is going to be awesome when comparing it to the 2 year old Z10? It has less features and has a slightly bigger battery. How is that awesome?
    adonesc likes this.
    03-30-15 05:51 PM
    Apple is going to launch an iPhone 6c with older specs for a much higher price.
    adonesc likes this.
    03-30-15 06:21 PM
    Apple is going to launch an iPhone 6c with older specs for a much higher price.
    Whatever the price and specs it will be having people will buy it anyway. It became a trend

Posted via CB10
    bakron1 and adonesc like this.
    03-30-15 11:30 PM
    Its going to be awesome? What about this phone is going to be awesome when comparing it to the 2 year old Z10? It has less features and has a slightly bigger battery. How is that awesome?
    It's aimed at young professionals who need to communicate. The device will fly between the HUB and any communications app. Slightly lower specs help with battery life as well. Not to mention the device has a large battery too. If your not liking what your reading, this device may not be for you. I recommend a Passport or a Z30. Beefier specs!
    adonesc likes this.
    04-08-15 11:50 PM
    A thought to consider, perhaps after BlackBerry Leap gets a toe hold a Leap 2 will surface with all of the missing attractions we've become use to. BlackBerry is playing it smart and the price point is spot on, unless, of course you want to shell out $600-700 dollars for a cell phone on contract, which would be obsolete by the time it's paid for.
    I own both a Z10 and Z30 but just pre-ordered a Leap.
    adonesc likes this.
    04-09-15 08:51 AM
47 12