Something funny I thought I would share with all of us Leap fans (all 8 of us). The organization where I work (over 5,000 employees) has for some reason decided to deploy new BlackBerry Leap phones to large groups of employees. Executives always used to have BB Classics, but now, you go to any meeting or just walk around the office and you see BlackBerry Leaps everywhere, or so it seems.

The irony is that I had been a proud Leap owner as my personal phone since launch, and only recently moved to a BlackBerry Motion, yet I seem to be the only person at my level who has not been issued a shiny new Leap (instead I have a lousy Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini, which I completely hate)...

It's odd to be in an environment with so many BlackBerry 10 phones, in 2018. It feels like living in an alternate reality, where BlackBerry still has a 40% market share.
    vincentkong likes this.
    01-24-18 01:38 PM
    They must be "redeployed" devices, or obtained fire-sale from a 3rd party vendor
    01-24-18 02:19 PM
    They must be "redeployed" devices, or obtained fire-sale from a 3rd party vendor
    Only needed for emails, calls and texting...
    01-24-18 02:24 PM
    Leap to replace Galaxy S3 Mini..... I know that enterprise is slow to change and all. But if they are just now replacing S3s with LEAPs, they are in a whole different league.

Proable bought the 5K LEAPs a long time ago (how else could you buy them at this point), and only now got around to deploying them. In the end some companies only need a phone with email that can be locked down, and an old LEAP will do that quite well.

But if they are hoping to get five more years out of these...... someone might be in for a surprise in two years..
    01-24-18 02:26 PM
    I am retired and in my in third age and use my Leap as my only phone now.
    It is a great bit of kit and the OS is simply the best I have known.
    My first phone was a brick back in the 1970's, look how far we have come!
    01-25-18 05:07 PM
    how did S3s last that long in corporate. Must have gotten those Leaps cheap.
    01-25-18 05:27 PM
    Leap is only $80.. and I'm sure blackberry just wants to dump the inventory. who bought the leap? I'd always opt for the z30 which is around the Same price anyday.., although I'm curious to try the leap just for a collectible
    01-26-18 02:02 AM
    Leap is only $80.. and I'm sure blackberry just wants to dump the inventory. who bought the leap? I'd always opt for the z30 which is around the Same price anyday.., although I'm curious to try the leap just for a collectible
    These are from third-party vendors. Blackberry, if they even had inventory left, would rather throw them into the river instead of sell them thus eliminating any support requirements going forward.
    01-26-18 08:21 AM
    They almost certainly bought them a whole ago and have been sitti.g on them. IT hardware is often bought in batches when the budget and offered price match up.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    01-26-18 08:47 AM
    I just heard of Leap deployment at the Canadian government. Must have gotten them for a great deal!
    01-27-18 12:21 PM