I picked up a leap, just as a second device to passport, I started it, all good, moved my nano sim in a sim tray, since leap takes micro sim, don't know what I did, but managed to damage the sim slot on the leap. Apparently BlackBerry does not recommend using sim trays, well I did, and here is the issue, went to BlackBerry store in Dubai, leap is not here yet, so they were excited to help, told me their service center should be able to fix it no issues, went on to the service center, and this is what I was told, on the leap and some other BlackBerry devices, if u damage the sim slot, u need to change the mother board, and it's not worth fixing, cause it's like buying a new device, they didn't have the spare parts, but could this be for real?, a small error in installing the sim tray, the entire device is rendered useless?

Any help appreciated, device is one day old.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 01:00 PM
    I'm watching this thread just in case and moving you to the Leap section of the site, as it is a device specific
    05-13-15 01:09 PM
    I picked up a leap, just as a second device to passport, I started it, all good, moved my nano sim in a sim tray, since leap takes micro sim, don't know what I did, but managed to damage the sim slot on the leap. Apparently BlackBerry does not recommend using sim trays, well I did, and here is the issue, went to BlackBerry store in Dubai, leap is not here yet, so they were excited to help, told me their service center should be able to fix it no issues, went on to the service center, and this is what I was told, on the leap and some other BlackBerry devices, if u damage the sim slot, u need to change the mother board, and it's not worth fixing, cause it's like buying a new device, they didn't have the spare parts, but could this be for real?, a small error in installing the sim tray, the entire device is rendered useless?

Any help appreciated, device is one day old.

Posted via CB10
    I currently have the Leap, and I imagine the SIM tray design is very similar to that of the Z30.

I did this on a Z30 I had back in December of 2014 on the third day I owned it (RIP). My story is a little different and more embarrassing though, as in my moment of genius I decided that the SIM tray of the Z30 would be a perfect place for my nano-to-micro SIM adapter when I was using my nano SIM in a different phone. Like a ***** fool (apparently, a derogatory term that starts with an I and ends with a T is not allowed on this forum), I pushed the empty adapter into the Z30 SIM tray and it was stuck as soon as the spring clicked.

After yanking it out and damaging the SIM tray, I took the Z30 apart to discover that the SIM tray is indeed soldered onto the motherboard (as all SIM trays are). The problem is that the spring catch is what caught the adapter, so me yanking on the SIM was the opposite of what I should have done.

If you're brave enough to take the Leap apart, you may be able to use a thin piece of metal (paperclip, SIM tool, etc.) and compress the spring while somehow shimmying your SIM card out of the phone. Be careful, though, because you risk damaging the spring-catch assembly and the precious metals that provide contact between the SIM card and the motherboard.
    05-13-15 01:57 PM
    Using an adapter on any phone that uses a spring loaded tray is NEVER recommended. I've used adapters on the Curve and the Z10 and Q10 with no issues at all. But I would never dare to use an adapter on a tray. It almost always ends miserably.
    05-13-15 02:17 PM
    Using an adapter on any phone that uses a spring loaded tray is NEVER recommended. I've used adapters on the Curve and the Z10 and Q10 with no issues at all. But I would never dare to use an adapter on a tray. It almost always ends miserably.
    I did not know this, but thinking about it, it makes perfect sense.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 03:41 PM
    this is why I won't buy the Leap as an alternative device. I use the Classic which uses the nano simm and have no other safe way to switch between the devices.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    05-13-15 04:59 PM
    Like an *****, I too placed an empty sim adapter into my spare z10 lately even knowing this could happen. I'm like a 5 year old doing the exact opposite of what I'm told. Anyway, I have a friend who repairs cell phones for a living. After I tried unsuccessfully to remove the adapter (being very careful not to break anything) I took it to him and he had a special SIM card removal tool. It only took him a couple of minutes to remove safely and no damage done. So moral of story---take your phone to a pro and avoid the heartache!

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 05:02 PM
    this is why I won't buy the Leap as an alternative device. I use the Classic which uses the nano simm and have no other safe way to switch between the devices.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, using an adapter is not safe. Better to have devices that use the same sim card.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 07:35 PM
    but could this be for real?
    Since everyone else ignored the real question. Chances are it's true. The Leap didn't leave much room for the SIM area. You could, however, try and go somewhere else to get a second opinion.
    05-13-15 07:48 PM
    Since everyone else ignored the real question. Chances are it's true. The Leap didn't leave much room for the SIM area. You could, however, try and go somewhere else to get a second opinion.
    I'm pretty sure I answered his question through my Z30 comparison.

Posted via CB10
    brookie229 likes this.
    05-13-15 09:43 PM
    I'll try with warranty since it brand new device, hopefully they will accept it

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 09:49 PM
    Okay----if the Leap is anything like the z10 or z30 (and I believe that it is) with regards to the sim tray it IS indeed soldered onto the board and cannot be easily fixed although there are skilled individuals that can do this work IF you can find a spare sim tray. There are people who can solder z10 trays on as I have already researched this. Seeing as the Leap is an new device, good luck trying to find the part (unless it is the same as the z10 in which case you can get these on ebay). My comment from above still stands and Propayne also gave a satisfactory answer as well---sorry Bla1se, I respectfully disagree
    05-13-15 09:57 PM
    I'll try with warranty since it brand new device, hopefully they will accept it

Posted via CB10
    Not manufactures defect, but worth a shot anyways. Worst thing is they can charge him full replacement cost for the device.
    05-13-15 10:17 PM
    My comment from above still stands and Propayne also gave a satisfactory answer as well---sorry Bla1se, I respectfully disagree
    �\_(ツ)_/�

Long as OP got an answer that helps them lol.
    brookie229 likes this.
    05-13-15 10:23 PM
    Thanks everyone, it seems that I got a shop who can fix it, they are going to use a Z3 part as a replacement, as they said it is the same part, question I have, does this affect the LTE connectivity on the leap?

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 04:15 AM
    Thanks everyone, it seems that I got a shop who can fix it, they are going to use a Z3 part as a replacement, as they said it is the same part, question I have, does this affect the LTE connectivity on the leap?

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely should not.
    05-18-15 11:01 AM

Posted via CB10
    If it's just a tray, it shouldn't.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 11:03 AM
    Get a reputable shop to order you in a new sim tray and have them solder it in. No big deal...

Posted from my BlackBerry Leap
    06-11-15 07:41 AM