Had the leap so far a few days and I'm pretty disappointed

-Battery claims 24 hours, it only last mabey 8 hours tops

-light leakage around bezel

-Slowest browser, won't even open some websites

Looks like I'm on the hunt for a new phone. I wanted to try BlackBerry again but I really don't know anymore.

Note to self: never buy a $279 phone.....ever

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 12:07 PM
    Which OS Version are you on? The latest is 10.3.2.2639.

Z30 / STA100-2 /10.3.2.2639
    09-14-15 12:20 PM

Looks like I'm on the hunt for a new phone. I wanted to try BlackBerry again but I really don't know anymore.

Posted via CB10
    The Z3 was created to be and marketed as an entry-level phone. Sounds like you are looking for a little more. There are a number of other choices
    09-14-15 12:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    What's the note to self "never buy a $279 phone...ever" supposed to mean? Was it too pricey or cheap for you? Just curious.

Maybe you should hurry up and get your refund and move on to the device you believe is perfect.
    09-14-15 12:39 PM
    The Z3 was created to be and marketed as an entry-level phone. Sounds like you are looking for a little more. There are a number of other choices
    He said he has the leap not the z3, what are you on lol

OP: looking through the forum you will notice your experience is exceptional and not the norm. Instead of whining why don't you ask for help and help us help you. The device shouldn't be having these problems and I'm sure it's a software issue to be resolved
    09-14-15 12:41 PM
    He said he has the leap not the z3, what are you on lol

OP: looking through the forum you will notice your experience is exceptional and not the norm. Instead of whining why don't you ask for help and help us help you. The device shouldn't be having these problems and I'm sure it's a software issue to be resolved
    A bit rude, but either way spec-wise the Leap is just as Jaydee says.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 12:47 PM
    Yes, the first thing to check here would be if you are on the latest OS

Z30 / STA100-2 /10.3.2.2639
    09-14-15 12:48 PM
    Could of bought the Z30 for probably less... and it's much better.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    09-14-15 01:03 PM
    Thanks for the replies everyone

I'm running the latest os

I didn't have high expectations for this device but it's only 2pm and I'm at 35%

Few days in, pretty disappointed.....-img_20150914_140213.png

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 01:04 PM
    I have the leap and I'm quite happy with it too bad your not! I even put away my pp se for it lol

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    09-14-15 01:17 PM
    Thanks for the replies everyone

I'm running the latest os

I didn't have high expectations for this device but it's only 2pm and I'm at 35%

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150914_140213.png 
Views:	3325 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	371265

Posted via CB10
    If this is the first week using the device the battery will take a hit because this is when contacts, email, calendar, etc is syncing.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    09-14-15 01:18 PM
    Also battery saver will extend the battery life if you find its bad. Check the options.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    09-14-15 01:18 PM
    For those with the leap, can I ask what do I set the brightness at?

I'm between 50% to 75%

Anything lower then 50% is way too dim for my liking

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 01:19 PM

Posted via CB10
    Give it some time, and if you still don't like it after a week or so, then:

Sell it. Get a used z30, or a new one if you can afford it.

Like "Yaydee..." said, Z3 is an an entry-level phone; for those who want a BB 10 and want it to be inexpensive.

...but give yours some time.

I have the Z3 (I think that from hardware perspective, it's close to the Leap) ....because it was given to me for free. I wouldn't buy it myself, I don't think. Like they say, you get what you pay for. I'm not a fan of the z3 (maybe this is a bit of stretch since the Leap is lightly better than the z3) myself from the hardware perspective, but it's a BB10 OS phone, so that's a huge plus.

I had a z10, loved it, but it was too small for my fat fingers. I got the z30; love it more. I think this one will last me a long time.
    Last edited by pomidor; 09-14-15 at 03:27 PM.
    09-14-15 03:15 PM
    A bit rude, but either way spec-wise the Leap is just as Jaydee says.

Posted via CB10
    No its not. Processor screen ram and more
    09-14-15 05:08 PM
    What is your signal level looking like?

Reason I ask is that if browser is really slow, then your device could be defaulting to an LTE signal that is weak instead of a stronger 4G signal. If the LTE is weak, then that could account for a good deal of battery drain throughout the day.

Any android apps running in the background?

I don't expect Passport like battery from the Leap, but 8 hours is not up to BB standards IMO.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    09-14-15 07:02 PM
    The leap is very similar to a Z30, but with less bells and whistles. Therefore your battery life is not normal. Access your device monitor and see what is using your battery so much. How many accounts do you have syncing? How often did you set them to sync? (defaults should be fine) This could all be normal usage for the first few days as it indexes all this new stuff. Your stuff. Try to keep it on and plugged in overnight if you aren't already doing so. Makes things go faster.

You might want to take some time to get to know BB10 a bit more. Things like the battery saver modes can help keep battery usage to a minimum. Android apps tend to use more battery power too, so if you've added quite a few that might also be a concern. Use task killer apps like Taskmanager to close running Android apps. You don't have to worry much about native apps though. Screen brightness is personal choice, I don't keep it below 50%. Way too dim. Find a nice balance and keep it there. Also, last thing, if you have been playing with your phone constantly since you just got it that could also be your answer. Lol.

In device monitor: Display should use around 20% or more of battery power during a normal days usage. System should be next highest unless it's indexing all your stuff still. After that it's all the apps you use. Hope that helps. Just check your device monitor and you can tell us what you see or post a screenshot.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-14-15 07:02 PM
    No its not. Processor screen ram and more
    As Jaydee said,

The [same phone we're all talking about] was created to be and marketed as an entry-level phone. Sounds like you are looking for a little more. There are a number of other choices
    So yes, the phone we're all discussing, in this same thread about the Leap, was designed just as Jaydee said. Nowhere does she mention how much the processor speed, screen size or ram are, so I'm not sure to what you're making a comparison to. The point we were both making, in response to the OP's original question/concern, is that the phone in question is designed to be entry-level with as-expected specs that may not offer everything that the OP wants/needs.

So back on topic, I hope that you find a solution for your needs, OP.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 08:17 PM
    Just an FYI I'm not a new BlackBerry user,

I had the z10 from launch till about Dec of 2013, great device. Travelled with it all around the world. Even had the extra battery and charger.

I then got a Sony z1 from work. So have been using that along with z2 and z3. The cam on the Sonys are amazing.

Nonetheless I wanted to come back to BlackBerry, picked up the leap on their website very cheap.

The browser is just so glitchy, I find in have to click on links several times and pages not loading. I live and work in downtown Toronto. Lte is great with my other devices.

I'll give it a few days, I really love the BlackBerry travel and the hub. Don't want to change phones really....

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 08:45 PM
    Few days in, pretty disappointed.....-img_20150914_214655.png

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 08:47 PM
    Well I certainly can't fault your frustration, do you think there's a new app you've installed that you weren't using during your time with the Z10, perhaps due to availability issues that have now resolved (i.e. Now in BBW or the improvement to the Android Runtime?) Edit: though, as you said, the Browser seems to be the biggest area of your woes, and I really don't know what to make of that.

But again I won't lie to you, the Leap isn't designed as a heavy-duty workhorse, and even if it's marketed towards new/rising entrepreneurs that would likely need a reliable device to continue to pull its weight through a busy workday, the degree of usage that you require may be too much for it to handle.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 09:19 PM
    Stryder, the leap has the same specs as... every BlackBerry 10 phone, z10, q10, classic. It's an entry level device... but not really. This isn't a $60 android. It should work like the 500$ BlackBerry Classic...

OP: show your last charge battery usage. Also, close your browser. It's obviously draining your battery for some reason. Which website is causing this problem ?

We can try to replicate it. If anything, you may need to reload your OS through BlackBerry link if we really can't find the solution.

About the lightbleed, we can't help .lol
    09-14-15 09:23 PM
    Stryder, the leap has the same specs as... every BlackBerry 10 phone, z10, q10, classic. It's an entry level device... but not really. This isn't a $60 android. It should work like the 500$ BlackBerry Classic...

OP: show your last charge battery usage. Also, close your browser. It's obviously draining your battery for some reason. Which website is causing this problem ?

We can try to replicate it. If anything, you may need to reload your OS through BlackBerry link if we really can't find the solution.

Furthermore, over 50% brightness is really going to start straining the battery. I keep it around 40% on the passport, I get about 20-25 hours of medium to heavy use.

If you use the phone heavily you should expect around 15 hours is my guess. But otherwise I'd imagine you could reach 20 hours of medium usage.
    09-14-15 09:26 PM

That is true, when you put it that way. I really can't explain why the Leap would offer a poorer experience than the Z10 for the OP, at least from a specifications standpoint. OP, I still think your fundamental needs from your mobile device may be what's causing the discrepancy.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 09:48 PM
    Jaydee is smoking too much crackberry

To BB or not to BBBBBB...?
    09-14-15 10:00 PM
74 123