Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 10:35 AM
    No.
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    05-13-15 10:44 AM
    Damn wonder if that will kill it for me. I thought it would be superior with that built in even thought the specs are not great.

I want to replace my Sony Z3 I use for personal with the LEAP - it has a crappy Ant as is and thought Leap would be the low cost answer.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 10:50 AM
    I almost guarantee it does

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 10:50 AM
    Every BlackBerry 10 phone to date has had it even if they haven't publicized it.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 10:52 AM
    Wish we knew for sure if it does or not. With the low cost it may not?

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 11:09 AM
    To be technical, every BB10 phone has some sort of antenna tech by Paratek, it's just that they made some fundamental improvements when the Z30 rolled around and called it a "Paratek" antenna.

So the Leap probably has some Paratek bits in it.

http://www.chipworks.com/en/technica...lackberry-z10/

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 11:56 AM
    Damn wonder if that will kill it for me. I thought it would be superior with that built in even thought the specs are not great.

I want to replace my Sony Z3 I use for personal with the LEAP - it has a crappy Ant as is and thought Leap would be the low cost answer.

Posted via CB10
    The leap would still be far better than the z3 for signal strength.

I just gave a z3 to my son when I started to look a signal strength in dBm and the passport was 25+ dBm stronger than the z3.

My Q5 is even better than the Passport and it does not have the Paratek antenna either.

The leap has got to be still much better than the z3.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 09:27 PM
    I had a Leap and the cellular signal was pretty good but I found the Z10 to be a little better. Weird, I know. I was really hoping the Leap would have been better than the Z10 but I was sadly disappointed. The comparison to the Z10 was done with the same SIM, carrier and OS/radio version. The Z10 seemed to hold a better signal in some known weak reception areas I frequent.
    05-13-15 10:58 PM
    I just gave a z3 to my son when I started to look a signal strength in dBm and the passport was 25+ dBm stronger than the z3.
    What?? You mean to tell me that if you got a -100 dBm signal with the Sony that the Passport would have a -75dBm signal? I find that very hard to believe. I could see maybe 10 db difference, but 25?
    I'm waiting on delivery of a Q5. Hope it's just as good signal wise as my Z10. For some reason my Z10 is stellar for cellular reception.
    05-13-15 11:04 PM
    The q5 has the best reception on any BlackBerry 10 from my experience oddly enough...
    lift likes this.
    05-14-15 07:53 AM
    Yes, it does. I confirmed this with BlackBerry weeks ago plus, what Thur said is entirely 110% accurate. It's not really 'device specific' thing. Every device built after the Z30 has it provided the parts for said device weren't put together before the Z30.
    scrapmetal58 and matthew550 like this.
    05-14-15 05:03 PM
    Thank you Blaze!

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 09:35 PM
    What?? You mean to tell me that if you got a -100 dBm signal with the Sony that the Passport would have a -75dBm signal? I find that very hard to believe. I could see maybe 10 db difference, but 25?
    I'm waiting on delivery of a Q5. Hope it's just as good signal wise as my Z10. For some reason my Z10 is stellar for cellular reception.
    That is correct--no joke. In BlackBerry World there is an app called Signal you can download which will show you the signal in dBm. Of course, I'm trusting that number is correct--not sure where they get it. I assume they have to be reading the value directly from the OS which is reading it from the radio. On Android you can get the signal in dBm from about phone in settings.

The signal is truly that different 25-30 and then some at times different between the q5 and the z3.

Just took a picture of the Q5 next to the z3 with signal showing on both. Both phones are on AT&T LTE:

Does LEAP have Paratek Ant?-img_20150518_193517.jpg
    Last edited by wtl; 05-18-15 at 07:45 PM.
    lift and scrapmetal58 like this.
    05-18-15 03:00 PM
    That is correct--no joke. In BlackBerry World there is an app called Signal you can download which will show you the signal in dBm. Of course, I'm trusting that number is correct--not sure where they get it. I assume they have to be reading the value directly from the OS which is reading it from the radio. On Android you can get the signal in dBm from about phone in settings.

The signal is truly that different 25-30 and then some at times different between the q5 and the z3.

Just took a picture of the Q5 next to the z3 with signal showing on both. Both phones are on AT&T LTE:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150518_193517.jpg 
Views:	2036 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	353489
    Thanks for the comparison. That is a really big difference. That Sony Z3 has a really poor radio. I just bought a Q5 and I must say I am impressed with this little guy. The screen looks great, Better than the Q10. The speaker sounds great. The reception is far better than my Q10 and is on par with my Z10. Battery life is very good. Very happy with the Q5 so far.
    05-18-15 09:51 PM
    I think it's more that the Q5 just has surprisingly good signal vs. The Z3 having a poor radio. Sitting in our basement with all rock walls I just compared to my wife's iphone 5 and she was at -114 dBm while the Q5 was -86.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 10:15 PM
    I think it's more that the Q5 just has surprisingly good signal vs. The Z3 having a poor radio. Sitting in our basement with all rock walls I just compared to my wife's iphone 5 and she was at -114 dBm while the Q5 was -86.

Posted via CB10
    The Sony weak radio surprised me but the iphone having a weak radio is no surprise. Apple needs to hire some good RF/Antenna engineers.
    05-19-15 12:57 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150518_193517.jpg 
Views:	2036 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	353489
    Just so you know, this is your WiFi signal. BCM indicated the WiFi radio. You need to turn off WiFi to get your mobile network signal. I have the same app

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    05-20-15 09:31 PM
    Just so you know, this is your WiFi signal. BCM indicated the WiFi radio. You need to turn off WiFi to get your mobile network signal. I have the same app

Posted via CB10
    I had a feeling something was not right there. -74dBm is a very strong signal. I know BlackBerry phones have good signal reception, but I didn't understand how it could be THAT much better.
    mighthor likes this.
    05-20-15 10:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    Oh! Well that potentially changes everything. However, I put the Q5 back in the same spot just now with wifi turned off. It's showing msm0 as the interface and signal level -72 which is even better! Unfortunately I don't have access to the z3 at the moment, but I'll attach a photo with it next to my wife's iPhone 5 with a -102 signal.

Does LEAP have Paratek Ant?-img_20150521_091534.jpg
    lift likes this.
    05-21-15 09:17 AM
    The answer is Yes! Just got off a "Introducing the New BlackBerry Leap, with Liive Q&A" with the BlackBerry team. This was an invitation only invite.

I specifically asked the question if Leap contained paratek antenna? Answer - leap contains the same paratek technology as passport and classic does.

Posted Via The Classic
    adonesc and ThunderShock2005 like this.
    05-21-15 10:54 AM
    I took part in an online presentation/webinar from BlackBerry on May 21st, 2015, 11-11:30am. . It was about the Leap. It lasted about 30 minutes and during the Q&A, someone asked that exact question.

The BlackBerry reps confirmed that the Leap has Paratek antenna technology built into it. Now they did not elaborate how it compares with what the Z30 has...

That is the best I can say...

Cartman says: Screw you guys I'm going home!
    05-21-15 05:21 PM
    The answer is Yes! Just got off a "Introducing the New BlackBerry Leap, with Liive Q&A" with the BlackBerry team. This was an invitation only invite.

I specifically asked the question if Leap contained paratek antenna? Answer - leap contains the same paratek technology as passport and classic does.

Posted Via The Classic
    Same here...must have been the same. That is good news, just a little extra incentive to purchase it.

Cartman says: Screw you guys I'm going home!
    gokulesh likes this.
    05-21-15 05:23 PM
    Passport and Classic do not use the same radio so I can not see how they use the same Paratek technology. Paratek has many features from what I understand. They have tunable filters and tunable antennas. I think there are varying levels of Paratek technology used in BlackBerry devices, it's not just an antenna.
    05-21-15 09:11 PM
    I had a feeling something was not right there. -74dBm is a very strong signal. I know BlackBerry phones have good signal reception, but I didn't understand how it could be THAT much better.
    Inside, that is a about an average signal for me on WIND Mobile (Canada) with my Z30. Out and about, now, I have seen signals from -45 to -60. Pretty good. I think this app is accurate, because at a report of -90, I have problems with data. Checking this apps made me realize there is something off with the signal reported and the number of bars next to the 4G logo. On a 10.3.2 beta

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    05-23-15 07:44 AM
35 12