I currently own a WP, but since MS is screwing up the design of Windows 10 I am now considering to get the Leap (at least BlackBerry knows the best location of placing the 'hamburger'). I am just curious to know how's the Android app performance on the Leap (e.g. Google Maps, since BlackBerry's own maps...), whether WhatsApp is integrated to the Hub and can my photos and videos taken on the Leap sync to OneDrive via Wi-Fi only (I have a limited data plan). Thank you in advance!
    nick13b likes this.
    05-24-15 07:03 AM
    Hi I'm using a leap excellent battery all my android apps run flawless and whatsapp works flawless in the hub as well not sure about one drive as I do not use it but I definitely recommend a leap

LeapSTR100-1/10.3......
    05-24-15 08:22 AM
    Idk about One drive because I don't use it, but with Box and Dropbox, I have the option to only use WiFi to sync pics. So it's probably the same with Onedrive

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 08:32 AM
    OneDrive works fine you can get it in BlackBerry world?

Check out Connect to Microsoft OneDrive in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/48168
    05-24-15 09:16 AM
    but since MS is screwing up the design of Windows 10
    how do you know? In which way?
    05-24-15 09:26 AM
    You'd probably be better off with a z30 than the leap, it's quicker
    05-24-15 09:31 AM
    I agree with you about the design of WP10 but I'm willing to give it some time as Microsoft gets closer to going final with it. But, I would recommend the Z30 for an overall better BB experience. The Leap is a good phone but it doesn't feel like $275 worth of phone; the other BB devices have a higher quality feel to them, in my opinion. That said, BB's Android app performance is really good but some apps (esp. those that rely on Google Play) won't work. The native WhatsApp is integrated into the Hub and OneDrive (both the native and Android app) will sync your pix via wi-fi just like on a WP device. I find the Android version of it faster than the native version on BB10 but the native version gives you a hamburger menu entry in the File Manager, which is convenient. Google Maps works but you can't save places or take advantage of any additional features since it requires the Google Play component that we don't have in BB10. Here Maps, unfortunately, doesn't work. I love my WP devices but I find myself using BB10 more often than not due to the Hub and the ability to run Android apps.
    05-24-15 10:03 AM
    You can get a taste of WP10 by signing up for the Windows Insider program. Right now, it's a mess of an OS since they have some new design styles clobbered together with the current styles. It's definitely "alpha" software (nothing like BB10 "leaks") and so rough that I won't use it as a daily driver. It's just something to check out and give feedback on, right now. Hopefully soon, it'll become more functional.

how do you know? In which way?
    05-24-15 10:06 AM
    I am considering to switch as the OneDrive app currently on WP is probably how W10 apps are going to be like and right now it feels like a crappy third party app (worse than the ones on iOS and Android). I also love the idea of the Hub, which is gone in WP8.1 (the Messaging Hub, not as powerful as the one on BB but it still gets the job done and now it is just for SMS). Thanks for all the replies!
    05-24-15 10:39 AM
    I really liked the Leap for the big screen, the great battery life and overall build quality and feel. I ended up returning it because of the rear speaker. It is pretty lousy and I use the external speaker a lot on my phones. It was an unfortunate deal breaker for me.
    I'm still considering getting another one because the other reasons I liked it closely outweigh the poor speaker.
    05-24-15 11:21 AM
    I currently own a WP, but since MS is screwing up the design of Windows 10 I am now considering to get the Leap (at least BlackBerry knows the best location of placing the 'hamburger'). I am just curious to know how's the Android app performance on the Leap (e.g. Google Maps, since BlackBerry's own maps...), whether WhatsApp is integrated to the Hub and can my photos and videos taken on the Leap sync to OneDrive via Wi-Fi only (I have a limited data plan). Thank you in advance!
    Hello Anguslhs,

BlackBerry 10.3.1 OS which comes stock with the Leap has Android 4.3 runtime, which means about 95% of the android apps you load will run. You must obviously take into account, the apps will be slightly slower since its not a native application.

With regards to Whatsapp, it's basically a native application on BlackBerry. Full hub integration with voice calling and everything working beautifully.

With regards to "One Drive" I haven't used that. I basically just Blue-Tooth all my photos to my PC or Laptop for back up that way.

You could also just remove the SD (if you have one) and transfer it to your laptop or PC that way.

The has a modest 2,800mah battery which will without a doubt keep you going throughout the whole day.

If you use NFC often, I would recommend you get a BlackBerry Z30 instead since the Leap does not have that.

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2576
    05-24-15 12:34 PM
    One Drive works amazing over wifi! You can set it to sync pics and vides over wifi only. And Google maps works almost perfectly as it would run on a S6 edge.
    But BlackBerry maps has improved so much that I used it this other day to find a place to eat and it found the place and gave me turn by turn directions faster than Google maps could! I was blown away with how much BlackBerry maps has improved as a whole. Very decent app!!

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    05-26-15 04:47 PM
    Maps works nicely, but you don't have the ability to use offline maps. The Web browser version of Google Maps Works flawlessly.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-15 06:15 PM
    I have just switched from Lumia 930 to z30. My only miss until now is here maps. The BlackBerry maps works fine even in Brazil, but don't have traffic data or public transportation.

The Google maps or others public transportation android apps doesn't work cause of Google play services dependencies.

I use native onedrive app to make auto upload from videos/photos but I prefer android app to see my photos.

Looks like the native app, that creates an integration with file manager app, don't keep and kind of cache, so, every time I open it there is a long time to see my pictures.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 05:48 PM
    I have just switched from Lumia 930 to z30. My only miss until now is here maps. The BlackBerry maps works fine even in Brazil, but don't have traffic data or public transportation.

The Google maps or others public transportation android apps doesn't work cause of Google play services dependencies.

I use native onedrive app to make auto upload from videos/photos but I prefer android app to see my photos.

Looks like the native app, that creates an integration with file manager app, don't keep and kind of cache, so, every time I open it there is a long time to see my pictures.

Posted via CB10
    Google maps works just fine on my Z30.

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    05-31-15 09:46 PM
    I didn't found any free app to navigation with Google maps.

And some Google maps apps have a terrible performance.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 07:59 AM
    I didn't found any free app to navigation with Google maps.

And some Google maps apps have a terrible performance.

Posted via CB10
    If you side load Snap, you can get the real Google Maps which works fine on BB10 (you can't sign into Google Play, though, to get the extra features) .

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 08:11 AM
    Don't have a leap but it seems like a nice device.

I've had a Z10 and a Z30 and the Z30 is one of the best I've ever had.

Amazing device I would highly recommend one and it's probably cheaper than a Leap.

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    06-01-15 08:19 AM
    I tried downloading direct from Google play store but got the "google play service" error.

Using snap there is some bring different?

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 11:07 AM
    I agree with you about the design of WP10 but I'm willing to give it some time as Microsoft gets closer to going final with it. ... ...The Leap is a good phone but it doesn't feel like $275 worth of phone; the other BB devices have a higher quality feel to them, in my opinion.... ... ...
    I agree with matthew on giving some time for MS to tune and polish the OS which is yet released as a final product into the market. On that part doesn't worth $275 part... Just a little success and BB is attempting to jump back to the premium sector.... i personally feels that it was a bad move by BB.

I am partially a WP user. During work days from monday till friday, i will often be carrying 3 BBs along, one sim-less 9860, a Z10 with personal line, and lastly a Z3 with company's sim.

U.I. wise, i would say BB OS10 is slightly better than WP tilings.
    Currently with 10.3.1 there will be a activity page when you swipe from idle screensaver. Here you can see what are the apps or functions that are in idle or in process. WP wise, you can only see the activated functions or apps executing in the background by press and hold the back icon. What BB provides here, is a quick access to the executed apps or to kill the process immediately. WP access and closing is an additional step to go.
    Organizing and grouping of apps and functions i a tad bit different from both OSes. Yes, both can group common stuffs/apps into a file by press and hold an icon and moving it to another. For WP, this is only possible when you have created a shortcut on the quick access front page. For BB, such categorization can be done straight into the apps/function page by swiping from right to left. However there's another added categorizing trick which i employed on all my OS10 BB. That's by press and hold apps/funtion icon, and keep shifting to the new page which will be automatically created when i come to a new page. Compare to others, i have 4 pages of function access, grouped as according to Call and Connection, Media and Albums, Social Medias, and Miscellaneous tools. This is something which WP don't have, and perhaps not that an issue to minimalists...

General usage pattern, both OSes have their plus and minuses...
    When click on the dialer icon, both OS shares the same issue for no ease of access to dial pad. On the BB, it goes straight to the recent calls log, while in WP, you face the rapid dial short cut, slide to the next page for the call log. For BB to access the dial pad, you'll have to click the short cut at the bottom right corner, while you have to look at the bottom of the WP screen for the dial pad access. BB's OS5 and OS7 allows us to customize where the function goes when th dialer icon was clicked. So, both WP and BB is not so... senior friendly especially to those who're not so "smart phone" savvy.

On both OS, after you have keyed a mobile number on the dial pad, you cannot go further like immediate SMS/MMS except dialing or saving of number into contact record. BB OS5 nd OS7 have such straight option to do the texting or media sending function access.
    Texting and sending to multiple parties is about the same on both OSes. However, BB have a slighter winning edge for able to access contacts stored in the SIM card. There's no way you can send to a SIM contact thru WP.

It's a totally different experience you get from 2 OS when it comes to phonebook access. On WP, you may have quick access to contact by pressing on the alphabet, and all 26 alphabets displayed as short cuts. In BB, it's swiping and swiping up and down or keying of 1st or 2 or 3 of the characters of the contact for precise locating. However, BB have a slight winning edge over WP. You can choose to display either phone contact, sim contact, or both. In WP, we're stuck with just phone contact. The only way when we can access SIM contact, is by copying contact information from the SIM to phone. Privacy on contact exposure is quite weak if one misplaces his WP phone.

Onto the hardware... WP phones can be equally par with BBs... only if BBs' software are polished as good as WP.
    If i'm to put both the LEAD and a perhaps a 830 together, the LEAD will be outshined by the LUMIA. At this price point, there's no need to bring out the Lumia 830 or even 930, just a new 640 will get attentions from gamers and shooters. BB's are not good with gaming, so as photography.
    In photography, BB will tend to looses out to WP as well as Android makes which are backed with camera designed software to yield better capturing results. However, no matter is it a Lumia or a BB, in the setup, we cannot choose to tone down the pixel size. When it's 8mpx, it's 8mpx, fixed. To send a picture as an corporate email attachment which is only acceptable with limited file size, you will have to crop the captured image to a smaller size file. This is why i often carry an additional 9860 along, which i can set captured image into smaller file size without the need for post cropping. I can do macro shots on electronic components which i handled as well, OS10 just can't get the micro images clear no matter how i zoomed or shoot under strong light. WP have macro shots functionality in the settings, but the image capture will still be in a large file size. Not really that friendly in corporate mail exchange environment as well...
    In gaming, when you do a search in youtube with various BB models, you'll see that some simple games are playable. Graphic intensive ones glows a little with WP makes, but suffers lots of image drops with BB models. I don't know does it have to do with smaller foot print with Win8.1 with 1GB ram. I just wouldn't expect the LEAP to play OverKill FPS as smooth as my weekender Lumia640 does.
    Web browsing experience is much better on BB browser, when compared to WP's IE. When we opened alot of tabs with BB browser, a click to the bottom left on the search bar, slides out the shortcuts to the tabs which we opened for instant access. We're often brought to the new tab page with IE of WP, that it's kind of frustrating that we often have to click the tab page to choose the tab we're previously in... duh... I might as well install either Chrome or FireFox into WP for slightly better browsing experience.

Last but not least... Apps Apps Apps~~~
    While Microsft apps market is growing with options, BB gets the boost with side loading capability with Android's .apk apps. While side loading of apps is smooth with the current OS10.3.1, there will be a little few that will not be compatible with the hidden Android system in BBOS.

So is it worth to pick the LEAD? Or is it more worthier to go for Z30? It depends on individuals needs and requirement.
    The LEAD IMO, is not VFM for the moment. And Z30... hmm... are the in-built batteries loosing its' capacities due to old manufacturing date... Tough choice...
    matthew550 likes this.
    06-01-15 11:39 AM
    I tried downloading direct from Google play store but got the "google play service" error.

Using snap there is some bring different?

Posted via CB10
    It sounds as though you tried to sign in after the initial install. Just skip past that and you should be good. Trying to sign in afterwards doesn't work either. But the map and directions still will.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 03:52 PM
    With regards to Whatsapp, it's basically a native application on BlackBerry. Full hub integration with voice calling and everything working beautifully.

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2576
    Not basically. WhatsApp has one of the best fully native bb10 apps on the market.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-15 08:04 AM
    Use NavFree, it is a good free alternative with downloadable maps just like Here maps.
    06-04-15 03:14 AM
    Use NavFree, it is a good free alternative with downloadable maps just like Here maps.
    Man! It's incredible! Navfree is such a great app!
    There is map info from my location (brasil) and lots of options. I don't know yet about the map actualization and the map report ( danger, etc), but it's the best app I saw!

Posted via CB10
    06-04-15 12:49 PM