On BB Link v.1.2.4.39, BB Leap and Link signed into the same BBID, with Leap on latest BB10 software, always says "unrecognized device", then it attempts to update Link info and fails, leaving the Leap as "connected" but unable to backup/restore. Blend works alright.

Any ideas?
    09-14-21 12:40 PM
    On BB Link v.1.2.4.39, BB Leap and Link signed into the same BBID, with Leap on latest BB10 software, always says "unrecognized device", then it attempts to update Link info and fails, leaving the Leap as "connected" but unable to backup/restore. Blend works alright.

Any ideas?
    Don't use Link. It's garbage.

What are you trying to do?
    09-14-21 12:44 PM
    I still like Link for some stuff, like transferring BBM message history and app settings to another BlackBerry, which is what I'm trying to do here. It works fine between my Z10 and Q10.
    09-14-21 12:46 PM
    I still like Link for some stuff, like transferring BBM message history and app settings to another BlackBerry, which is what I'm trying to do here. It works fine between my Z10 and Q10.
    Well, it will stop working in January anyway, so it's as good a time as any to discover alternatives.
    09-14-21 12:53 PM
    I should say, I'd be happy if I could just transfer my BBM chat history from my Z10 to the Leap, if there's another way to do it outside of Link/"Switch Devices"...
    09-14-21 12:54 PM
    Well, it will stop working in January anyway, so it's as good a time as any to discover alternatives.
    Yes, yes, I'm aware of all that. I intend to see for myself if everything bricks or some of it continues with some limited functionality (such as Blend). I have some devices unpaired with a BBID as backups, since apparently T-Mo has pushed the 3G killswitch off until April.
    09-14-21 12:57 PM
    Yes, yes, I'm aware of all that. I intend to see for myself if everything bricks or some of it continues with some limited functionality (such as Blend). I have some devices unpaired with a BBID as backups, since apparently T-Mo has pushed the 3G killswitch off until April.
    There may be some limited functionality with devices themselves, but the whole LINK / Blend / Device system works on BBID... without that to authenticate, you don't have communications between them. Your only hope is if BlackBerry forgets to switch them off or delays yet again.

Does not BBM have it's own backup options still? Last time I used it, it still did.. save to a SD Card of file location. But was only something that BBM could read and access so would work for your needs (till BBM and BBID are no more).

But don't be surprised if T-Mobile re-farms some bands and that causes you issue.... as that is already happening to some.

Be prepared for the worst.... NOW. Then be happy if BlackBerry forgets to flip the switch, and T-Mobile waits till end of 2022.
    MadMalthus likes this.
    09-14-21 01:08 PM
    There may be some limited functionality with devices themselves, but the whole LINK / Blend / Device system works on BBID... without that to authenticate, you don't have communications between them. Your only hope is if BlackBerry forgets to switch them off or delays yet again.

Does not BBM have it's own backup options still? Last time I used it, it still did.. save to a SD Card of file location. But was only something that BBM could read and access so would work for your needs (till BBM and BBID are no more).

But don't be surprised if T-Mobile re-farms some bands and that causes you issue.... as that is already happening to some.

Be prepared for the worst.... NOW. Then be happy if BlackBerry forgets to flip the switch, and T-Mobile waits till end of 2022.
    I'll check but I think the chat backup just lets you view the chat after it ends:

https://forums.crackberry.com/genera...istory-916312/

I did get it to transfer using Link recently. You can email a copy of an individual BBM chat, that might be good enough for my needs.
    I'm prepared for whichever way it tumbles, with a plethora of obsolete phones in varying states of disuse...
    09-14-21 01:23 PM