I agree. Love everything about the Z30 except the inadequate brightness of the screen.

Posted via CB10
    That and that you may not get 4G LTE on AT&T are deal breakers for me.
    extisis likes this.
    05-16-15 04:25 PM
    That and that you may not get 4G LTE on AT&T are deal breakers for me.
    You may not get LTE in some areas with T-Mobile now too. Rural areas are being upgraded from edge to LTE using band 2 (which the Z30 does not have).
    05-16-15 09:44 PM
    I like the rounded corners too but many do not but regardless I really think that the Leap holster would work as well as a Z30 holster.

ShopBlackBerry Online Store - Leap Swivel Leather Holster

I lost a phone once when my holster got dislodged while exiting a car so I will never use one again. Besides I am too old to want something that would make me appear even older than I am.
    I use a Z30 and like all BB phones of mine in the past, I exclusively use holsters. Naturally we all grew up with smaller keyboard variants and now with the larger phones, the size of those holsters have increased a lot. The Z30 when holstered is at its max for room, maneuverability and comfort for me whether Im sitting in a chair, my vehicle, etc Sometimes I'll find I have to adjust it to get comfortable.

Now the Leap would make this marginally bigger and I would have to move away from a holster. I was in the camp early on that the Z10 holster would be the biggest that I could comfortably use but I found I could just manage a Z30. This mean a Classic would work fine for me as well. Perhaps a Passpost too since its a shorter device. However it makes up for the lack in height when rotated on an angle. Have yet to try that combo.

And I only ever had one holster become dislodged on me (Clip detaches) and believe it or not, it wasn't the Z30. Other than the clip rotating assembly wearing with use, it wont stay situated in certain positions, just rotates back until it catches a stopping point.

Guess I'm old school. Can't live without my holster...yet
    05-17-15 09:41 AM
    It's a device for fleet upgrades guys, it really isn't meant for the majority of BlackBerry users outside of the business realm. Sure, it could work as a Z10 upgrade, but it doesn't offer much on the upgrade area. That's that.

And I am not saying it sucks, just that if you have anything from the Z30 up, you don't need a Leap. If you have Anything from a Q10 up, you'd be trading off a few features if you go Leap.
    05-17-15 10:21 AM
    I use a Z30 and like all BB phones of mine in the past, I exclusively use holsters. Naturally we all grew up with smaller keyboard variants and now with the larger phones, the size of those holsters have increased a lot. The Z30 when holstered is at its max for room, maneuverability and comfort for me whether Im sitting in a chair, my vehicle, etc Sometimes I'll find I have to adjust it to get comfortable.

Now the Leap would make this marginally bigger and I would have to move away from a holster. I was in the camp early on that the Z10 holster would be the biggest that I could comfortably use but I found I could just manage a Z30. This mean a Classic would work fine for me as well. Perhaps a Passpost too since its a shorter device. However it makes up for the lack in height when rotated on an angle. Have yet to try that combo.

And I only ever had one holster become dislodged on me (Clip detaches) and believe it or not, it wasn't the Z30. Other than the clip rotating assembly wearing with use, it wont stay situated in certain positions, just rotates back until it catches a stopping point.

Guess I'm old school. Can't live without my holster...yet
    Why would you want a Leap if you have a Z30? Too bad there are no measurements for the Leap holster. I presume the difference would be even less than the difference between a 9900 holster and a Q10 holster.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-17-15 11:03 AM
    Why would you want a Leap if you have a Z30? Too bad there are no measurements for the Leap holster. I presume the difference would be even less than the difference between a 9900 holster and a Q10 holster.

I agree though, I would have preferred a phone with smaller dimensions but with a 4.7 inch screen. BlackBerry version of the IPhone 6 with rounded corners like the Z10.

I might buy the Leap. It has a very good screen. It seems though that I am one of those whose Z10 battery is good, so I have little reason to upgrade.
    Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 11:14 AM
    why does everyone assume they [BBRY] will be releasing sequels to a device they felt was subpar in some areas? Perhaps in the days of BBOS where I went from 9800 to 9810 - essentially the same device but with a quicker CPU that handled most of the BBOS-famous crashes that i had a year or two of with the 9800.

Anyway, in a way the Leap is a sequel (or modification) to the Z5 because it's closely matched specs and size. Other than that... you can't say the same about Z10 to Z30 (processor speed, size, screen type), can't say that about Q10 to Classic (screen, tool belt), etc etc so there's no sequel to anything. We'll see if the Passport gets an upgrade as a phablet.

OP bought a leap and thought they were upgrading? Mistake. When we Z10 users upgrade it will probably be to a much different phone than just a Z10 with 5" screen. Which the Leap even wasn't.
    05-17-15 12:29 PM
    Im sorry but in my opinion the z30 looks cheap when placed side by side with the leap.
    05-17-15 12:33 PM
    Im sorry but in my opinion the z30 looks cheap when placed side by side with the leap.
    The Z30 is ugly. The Z10 is a piece of art in comparison. The Leap is ok. (I have a Z30, had a Z10).

Anyway, in a way the Leap is a sequel (or modification) to the Z5 because it's closely matched specs and size. Other than that... you can't say the same about Z10 to Z30 (processor speed, size, screen type), can't say that about Q10 to Classic (screen, tool belt), etc etc so there's no sequel to anything. We'll see if the Passport gets an upgrade as a phablet.

OP bought a leap and thought they were upgrading? Mistake. When we Z10 users upgrade it will probably be to a much different phone than just a Z10 with 5" screen. Which the Leap even wasn't.
    That's debatable. One could upgrade from the Z10 to the Leap and be happy, provided he never ever needed NFC and HDMI. Check the specs and tell me the Leap is that far behind, you won't be able to: Z10 vs Leap

Also, there has not been a Z5. Only a Z3 and his gutsare really different from the Leap's. They only really share the design language.
    05-17-15 12:48 PM
    The Z30 is ugly. The Z10 is a piece of art in comparison. The Leap is ok. (I have a Z30, had a Z10).

That's debatable. One could upgrade from the Z10 to the Leap and be happy, provided he never ever needed NFC and HDMI. Check the specs and tell me the Leap is that far behind, you won't be able to: Z10 vs Leap

Also, there has not been a Z5. Only a Z3 and his gutsare really different from the Leap's. They only really share the design language.
    You're right, had my model numbers off, but that's how forgettable that phone was [Z3]. I need my HDMI. And yeah I've seen the specs but it's that small difference that warrants me doubting upgrading in the first place. I'd actually just be giving up features for more screen space. A definitive upgrade would be a Z30 in this case although you find it ugly. To each his own.

Posted via the CB10 App on my Z10
    05-17-15 01:46 PM
    In person with an actual phone (hard to come by) the Z30 has a nice smooth edge around the screen. The chin was a major styling mistake. I understand the reasoning but it looked odd. If the chin would have been real metal like stainless steel it would have looked better.

While the Z30 looks more premium in real life and not just the demo slab. The Leap is very comparable to your average Sony phone. Not sure it matters if you have a case. You see iPhones all the time in a big ugly case.

Having used the phone, I found that the screen was better than the Z30. All in all I think the Leap is a nice phone but at that price point there are also nice Android phones too. You better hurry if you want to buy a new Z30.

My hope is that BlackBerry manages to build a reliable phone.
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 05-17-15 at 03:29 PM.
    05-17-15 02:13 PM
    I'm liking my leap so far. Also have a z30,z10 and q10. The speakers are ok,so far. Did notice a difference though. Not a big deal,yet.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 02:31 PM
    My original intent was to get a backup for my Passport. I was not looking to use it as my daily driver. I was also not intending on "trying it out" with the intent of never keeping it. I like the Leap, I just don't like the speaker. I have very, very big hands too so when holding the Leap it felt very thin. I like the Z30's feel a little bit more. Spec wise the Leap is not an improvement over the Z30, I know that. I like the screen more, but have to admit, I still like the rounded shape of the Z30 a little more. If BB comes out with a Leap 2.0 with a better speaker and a couple of minor tweaks, at a very good price point, I would consider it as a backup purchase then. For now, the $224 all-in price for a Z30, and the increased Specs over the Leap (minus the screen clarity - love it) is good enough for me. I still love my Passport too. I'm contemplating selling my iPad as I hardly use it anymore. I just wish BB would market their bloody products better. Everyone I know thinks BB is already dead.
    05-17-15 03:56 PM
    There was supposed to be a Z5 and Q3 (aka Cafe and Kopi), part of Thorsten Heins's anemic attempt to address the affordable market.

The Z5, intended for a global release (even on Verizon and Sprint), would essentially be a stripped down Z10, with Z3 specs but LTE and the Z10 form factor. The Q3, which had only two GSM flavors, would have the same specs as the Z5/Z3, but in a Q5 form factor and without LTE.

One can easily see how little would separate the BB10 lineup if they were made. But, they don't matter anymore.

Just some history.

Posted via CB10
    wolfpacal, lift and extisis like this.
    05-17-15 04:35 PM
    The thing I find funny is there are so many experts out here in CB land...

In the past we've had some demand the physical keyboards back...they bring them back and now they suck again.

More have said we need a lower cost touchscreen phone to bring BlackBerry "back"... they release one and now it sucks.

Can't please everyone I guess.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    Bbnivende and Thunderbuck like this.
    05-17-15 05:08 PM
    The thing I find funny is there are so many experts out here in CB land...

In the past we've had some demand the physical keyboards back...they bring them back and now they suck again.

More have said we need a lower cost touchscreen phone to bring BlackBerry "back"... they release one and now it sucks.

Can't please everyone I guess.

BlackBerry released the Leap... a low-spec'ed smartphone with a mid-range price. They'll definitely have a difficult time pleasing anyone (including Enterprise users) with that.
    lift likes this.
    05-17-15 05:55 PM
    Pretty sure that the Leap is not aimed at current owners of the Z30, Passport or the Classic.

It should find a market with Enterprise based on fleet pricing. It may also find a market for current BBOS owners, Z10 and Q10 owners looking for a reliable but reasonably priced BB10 phone. The Leap might find a market with first time smartphone users who have been mislead in thinking that the Amazon app store has a good selection of apps.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 06:04 PM
    OP if the Leap isn't all it's cracked up to be then get what you want. Might I suggest the Classic it's well built and has great speakers. I find it amusing that if someone option differs or they had a bad experience first thing done to them is to tell them they are wrong. Not that they could have just gotten a bad unit. Or possibly the low end Leap is just fine but not what the OP wants.
    05-17-15 06:25 PM
    My 2 deal breakers:

No NFC. Absolutely needed for 2 factor authentication for some critical apps like eg lastpass.

No nano but micro sim, despite the 2 latest devices before the leap having nano already. Can't switch between my Classic/PP and the Leap for the weekend. No, I'm never going to use adapters again. Already broke my Z30's sim slot with one.

Posted via CB10
    How do you use NFC for two-factor with LastPass?

Posted via my gorgeous red Passport
    05-17-15 06:31 PM
    How do you use NFC for two-factor with LastPass?

Posted via my gorgeous red Passport
    In combination with a Yubikey.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 06:34 PM
    The thing is with the Leap....and for some this will be hard but think....Enterprise. Not Star Trek or some game that's available on Amazon.

But as an enterprise business owner or executive. There are a lot of risks as we've seen with BYOD to work and in a lot of cases if you ask CIO's etc, they would much rather everyone have the same device for easier control.

Enter the Leap...lower cost devices, not Jaguar's by any stretch (think Curve) but a lower cost device that can be handed out to sales teams, mid level exec's etc.

Do you want them all with Passports? Nope. But you do want them to have something with day to day practicality & something that can be monitored well.

That's what the Leap is for. The Leap is also for the business startup who needs a lower cost device to get things going...Long battery life and security. It covers that.

BlackBerry is NOT going after the consumer market with this one. So the fact those of you who are posting from their Android device after playing a few hours of games don't like it...thats good. It's not for you. If you use an iphone and don't like the Leap for your day to day apps and videos and posting pics of your meals on Instagram...Good. This device isn't for you.

It's for the enterprise market...the business owner looking for something good and iFart apps be dammed.

05-17-15 06:59 PM
    BlackBerry is great for business as long as you do not need that app that is only available on the Google Play store. If the IT manager who administers all types of phones under BES is given permission to share apps across all phones that have run time then OK. Otherwise, BlackBerry is only going to be attractive for Enterprise's that use phones in the same way that they did in 2009.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 08:22 PM
    There was supposed to be a Z5 and Q3 (aka Cafe and Kopi), part of Thorsten Heins's anemic attempt to address the affordable market.

The Z5, intended for a global release (even on Verizon and Sprint), would essentially be a stripped down Z10, with Z3 specs but LTE and the Z10 form factor. The Q3, which had only two GSM flavors, would have the same specs as the Z5/Z3, but in a Q5 form factor and without LTE.

One can easily see how little would separate the BB10 lineup if they were made. But, they don't matter anymore.

Just some history.

Posted via CB10
    I remember them both pal. I hoped at least the Z5 would have made it. Granted, would have not done them any good in the US, but Latin America would havve been all over the device (well, if they didn't charge 3-4x the US price like they did the Z10)...
    05-18-15 09:34 AM
    So for those who went from Z10 to.a Leap. How do the speakers compare?

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 09:45 AM
    So for those who went from Z10 to.a Leap. How do the speakers compare?

Posted via CB10
    Funny you should ask. I just returned a Leap mainly because of the speaker. I thought the speaker on the Z10 sounded better, was clearer and was in a better location on the phone than the Leap. The Leaps speaker was tinny and rattled if turned up loud and it was on the back of the phone and was affected by putting the phone on any surface. That was my experience. Also another poster that returned his Leap also commented that he did not like the speaker either.
    05-18-15 11:00 AM
51 123