BlackBerry have traditionally, as with all other phone manufacturers except for Apple, sold a range of models concurrently all with differing features aimed at differing markets with differing prices.

The Leap isn't sold as an upgrade from the Z series, it's an entirely new phone and although it shares some of the Z characteristics, both devices will likely be sold side-by-side for another while longer.

At present, the Microsoft website shows 13 'Nokia Lumia XXXX' models. Samsung have the Galaxy S, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Ace, Galaxy Grand, Galaxy Star, Galaxy Prevail, Galaxy Avant and all their other models non-galaxy models.

Putting aside the iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy S6 and the HTC One M9 - there are many, many other models of which the BlackBerry Leap is a serious competitor.

The closest non-BlackBerry phone that I could find which compares to the Leap is the Nokia Lumia 830.

Release Date:
    Nokia - September 2014
    Leap - May 2015

Operating System:
    Lumia - Windows Phone 8.1
    Leap - BlackBerry 10.3

Display:
    Both phones have a 5 inch display with 720x1280 resolution at 294ppi.

Camera:
    Lumia - 10MP / 0.9MP
    Leap - 8MP / 2MP
    Both devices record 1080p HD video at 30fps.

Processor:
    Lumia - Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 / Quad 1200mhz, 1024MB RAM
    Leap- Snapdragon MSM8960 / Dual 1500mhz, 2048MB RAM

Storage:
    Both devices have 16GB internal with SD expansion capabilities up to 128GB

Battery:
    Lumia - 2200 mAh (14.8hrs talk)
    Leap - 2800 mAh (17hrs talk)

Other:
    Lumia - NFC, wireless charging, compass.

The RRP of the Nokia is $699.00
    The RRP of the Leap is $275.00

The phones are nearly identical except one can be purchased for less than half the price of the other.

BlackBerry Classic = Corporate User Perfection!
    04-21-15 03:28 AM
    Guess you haven't checked Amazon eh? Its about the same price.
    JRF_1986 likes this.
    04-21-15 03:44 AM
    I am not against BlackBerry but I have to say that lumia 830 is far better in terms of processor, camera, display, speakers.
    You need to compare leap with lumia 640xl.

Posted via CB10
    anon(7808135) likes this.
    04-21-15 07:38 PM
    I am not against BlackBerry but I have to say that lumia 830 is far better in terms of processor, camera, display, speakers.

Posted via CB10
    640XL has 5.7 screen, its too large. Perhaps you meant the 640 LTE $179 . Its has better processor but Leap is as good or better otherwise.
    04-21-15 08:48 PM
    BlackBerry have traditionally, as with all other phone manufacturers except for Apple, sold a range of models concurrently all with differing features aimed at differing markets with differing prices.

The Leap isn't sold as an upgrade from the Z series, it's an entirely new phone and although it shares some of the Z characteristics, both devices will likely be sold side-by-side for another while longer.

At present, the Microsoft website shows 13 'Nokia Lumia XXXX' models. Samsung have the Galaxy S, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Ace, Galaxy Grand, Galaxy Star, Galaxy Prevail, Galaxy Avant and all their other models non-galaxy models.

Putting aside the iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy S6 and the HTC One M9 - there are many, many other models of which the BlackBerry Leap is a serious competitor.

The closest non-BlackBerry phone that I could find which compares to the Leap is the Nokia Lumia 830.

Release Date:
    Nokia - September 2014
    Leap - May 2015

Operating System:
    Lumia - Windows Phone 8.1
    Leap - BlackBerry 10.3

Display:
    Both phones have a 5 inch display with 720x1280 resolution at 294ppi.

Camera:
    Lumia - 10MP / 0.9MP
    Leap - 8MP / 2MP
    Both devices record 1080p HD video at 30fps.

Processor:
    Lumia - Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 / Quad 1200mhz, 1024MB RAM
    Leap- Snapdragon MSM8960 / Dual 1500mhz, 2048MB RAM

Storage:
    Both devices have 16GB internal with SD expansion capabilities up to 128GB

Battery:
    Lumia - 2200 mAh (14.8hrs talk)
    Leap - 2800 mAh (17hrs talk)

Other:
    Lumia - NFC, wireless charging, compass.

The RRP of the Nokia is $699.00
    The RRP of the Leap is $275.00

The phones are nearly identical except one can be purchased for less than half the price of the other.

BlackBerry Classic = Corporate User Perfection!
    I'd recommend Leap VS the 640 XL to make it the most fair competition.
    04-21-15 09:02 PM
    640XL has 5.7 screen, its too large. Perhaps you meant the 640 LTE $179 . Its has better processor but Leap is as good or better otherwise.
    I meant 640xl LTE. Both are almost same price. You need to compare these two. BlackBerry leap bezels are thick so even 5.7 inch lumia won't be too big when compared to leap.

Posted via CB10
    Gar3848 likes this.
    04-21-15 09:18 PM
    Leap has market to target, Lumia is so different.
    04-22-15 12:07 AM

Posted via CB10
    I can't remember where, but I've seen benchmarks of that Snapdragon 400 vs. the Snapdragon S4 and the latter actually didn't played badly at all. In some cases it was slower than the 400, in others it was slightly faster. The benchmarks were done because the initial set of Windows Phone 8 flagships like Lumia 920 or 1020 used the very same SoC our BlackBerry phones are using.

Can't speak for the rest like speakers or especially display, since I have yet to see the Leap in person.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 01:34 PM
    I use the 830(white with gold metal frame as my daily driver right now and it's an amazing phone with a lovely camera. Battery life is amazing, too. Removeable battery and wireless charging is a plus.

10MP Pure View ZEISS even beats the 13MP on the new 640XL. But it's very close.
    Optical Image stabilization working great (better than Iphone6)

The Lumia 830 and 640XL cost much less than the Leap and they offer much more.
    No brainer decision.

I hope BlackBerry gets it done and offer what their customers really want, but I guess a Z10/Z30 nice spec successor would be to expensive.

Would buy one but nice camera is crucial. And will not miss wireless charging and removeable battery.

Z10 LE 10.2.2.1609
    Last edited by huungryshark; 04-24-15 at 12:53 PM.
    04-24-15 12:33 PM
    While the Lumia 830 may offer better specifications in the processor department, my personal experience with Windows Phone 8.1 leaves a lot to be desired. While nothing is perfect there are many quirks with Windows Phone regardless of what hardware it is running on.

The BlackBerry 10 OS experience is much better (again, personal opinion here), especially with 10.3.1 helping to narrow the "app gap" with the addition of the Amazon app store and the ability to directly sideload Android APK files (which was previously a royal pain in the rear on older releases and the Android runtime was quite old leaving a lot of compatibility issues).
    04-25-15 11:13 PM
    The Leap is a head scratcher with an awful name. But it's still a damned nice looking design.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 11:59 PM
    While the Lumia 830 may offer better specifications in the processor department, my personal experience with Windows Phone 8.1 leaves a lot to be desired. While nothing is perfect there are many quirks with Windows Phone regardless of what hardware it is running on.

The BlackBerry 10 OS experience is much better (again, personal opinion here), especially with 10.3.1 helping to narrow the "app gap" with the addition of the Amazon app store and the ability to directly sideload Android APK files (which was previously a royal pain in the rear on older releases and the Android runtime was quite old leaving a lot of compatibility issues).
    BlackBerry OS feels much better than lumia but its hardware is the main point of its selling. It is really better than than the leap.
    They advertise going launch lumia 840 and remove 830. While 830 is a much better phone which is way better than z30 in terms of hardware, 840 will be a hit in the market

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 01:04 AM
    If you feel Nokia is better just go there and buy it. There are tons of better phones than BlackBerry out there specs wise. I'm happy user here and sick of hearing comparisons with things. Do you actually own one? Maybe should come up with personal review.

Posted with a BlackBerry Q10, Australia
    04-27-15 07:13 AM
    WRONG! 640XL will trounce the LEAP with it's C.Zeiss camera and much beefier power tank. The direct competitor to the LEAP is most rightly to be the 640LTE, which is around the price range and marginally... close in all hardware fields.
    05-01-15 01:34 AM
    All of these hardware comparisons would be relevant if you could load any OS you wanted on the phone, but since you can't it's kind of silly.

The only reason to buy a BlackBerry is for BlackBerry OS 10, and if you want that, you can't get it on a Nokia. The OS is the reason to buy one phone over another. Once you chosen an OS, then select the hardware you want, not the other way around!

Posted via CB10
    lift, bruce73 and Mohsin Ashfaq like this.
    05-01-15 02:09 AM
    I have had nokia 930 and 830 for some time and almost went permanently mad on windows OS. No comparison with Leap or any BB10 phones..windows phone is only good on maps and music player. Anything else is pure garbage.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 05:59 PM
    Lumias are way better than blackberry

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 07:44 PM
    Lumias are way better than blackberry

Posted via CB10
    I would say it goes both ways

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 10:48 AM
    The Lumia 830 has been sold for far cheaper (got mine for $370 on amazon factory unlocked and it is currently around $250), but to be fair, MS sells it for $499. For that price, yes the Leap is cheaper but from experience, the 830 is a great device. I haven't tried a Leap yet but I do have a Z10 and Q10 so I'm familiar.

Each has their pros and cons. Unique OS experiences
    05-07-15 06:31 PM
    Windows Phone Browser is horribly broken. The media player also struggles with audio media not purchased from Xbox music. Save those two (serious) faults, the OS isn't bad at all.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-15 09:46 PM
    Windows Phone Browser is horribly broken. The media player also struggles with audio media not purchased from Xbox music. Save those two (serious) faults, the OS isn't bad at all.

Posted via CB10
    Sounds like a problem with you. I'm not having any problems

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 01:13 PM
    Sounds like a problem with you. I'm not having any problems

Posted via CB10

I doubt it. My Z30 can do the previously stated without problems while W8.1 can't.

Nonetheless, thanks for your attempt at an intelligent response.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 01:45 PM
    Screen: Tie
    RAM: Leap
    Processor: Lumia
    Storage: Tie
    Battery: Leap
    Camera: Tie (because each had a win over the other when comparing front and rear)

Other: Lumia

So the results are

BlackBerry Leap: 2
    Lumia: 2

So I would say, the winner of this is purely dependent on what you are looking for in a device. To me NFC is not an issue so I would chose the Leap (if I could only chose between them)

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2576
    05-21-15 02:21 PM
    I doubt it. My Z30 can do the previously stated without problems while W8.1 can't.

Nonetheless, thanks for your attempt at an intelligent response.

Posted via CB10
    Well I said that as I don't have any problems at all. Could be device model too. My Lumia 635 is having a problem where it force quits apps at random but other people's 635's aren't having that problem. So yeah...

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 06:41 PM
    I have had nokia 930 and 830 for some time and almost went permanently mad on windows OS. No comparison with Leap or any BB10 phones..windows phone is only good on maps and music player. Anything else is pure garbage.

Posted via CB10
    More or less true. I have a Lumia 930. While it has got an amazing camera 20MP Carl Zeiss with OIS, it suffers the same issue that of Z30 camera. Low light images are, clarity wise, nothing to write home about for both phones. Here maps, with their offline navigating capability too trounces BlackBerry native offering. Oh, the display clarity too is much better for Lumia 930.

But..

The whining about apps gap is more or less same for both the platforms. But BlackBerry has an advantage in terms of android apps support.

Multi-tasking is so much easy and super-efficient in BlackBerry 10. I can�t seamlessly �jump� from one app to another app in Windows 8.1 GDR2 like I used to do in BlackBerry. Some of the apps in Windows even auto close (Amazon Kindle, for example).

No stereo speaker in 930 like in Z30. Since Leap does not have stereo speakers, I think that point evens out when comparing to L830, I guess.

Basically this money pinching comparison is meaningless, in my opinion. I bought a Z30 because I need the functions offered by it. I loved the better battery life, amazing screen, super fluid and efficient OS, the holy grail of personal communication called BlackBerry HUB, light weight and sleek body. I bought Lumia 930 because I love the Maps and Camera.

Need a phone? Buy it. Don't need it? Don't buy it.
    05-24-15 07:42 AM
31 12