02-26-15 07:10 AM
    $199 would be a good price point, but I bet it is priced the same as the Classic.

The name is terrible, I can already see the headlines. BlackBerry takes a LEAP backwards....
    LuvULongTime, Matty and menshawy like this.
    02-26-15 07:23 AM
    Specs are a little weak..so I'll be passing on this one.

Posted via my Canadian Passport
    02-26-15 07:27 AM
    $199 would be a good price point, but I bet it is priced the same as the Classic.

The name is terrible, I can already see the headlines. BlackBerry takes a LEAP backwards....
    I bet it's cheaper than the classic at launch!
    02-26-15 07:31 AM
    I like the dseign. Wish the MSM 8960 Dual Core 1.5 GHz processor was 1.9 ghz. Looks like i wont be getting a new berry anytime soon. Same specs as a Z10 y even bother
    02-26-15 07:37 AM
    I bet it's cheaper than the classic at launch!
    Why would it be cheaper? It's pretty much the same internals but with a larger screen. And it's target market is the same enterprise users.

I think the only reason the Z10 ended up being priced lower than the Q10 was that it was aimed at consumers... (puls they made too many of them). And let's face it.... no one is buying this unless they have too. Even most BlackBerry Fans are going to want the 18 month old (but better) Z30 over the LEAP.
    02-26-15 07:43 AM
    How much more "blah" can you get.

How uninspired.

Ugh...

BlackBerry hates America!
    devin266 and LuvULongTime like this.
    02-26-15 08:58 AM
    Specs are a little weak..so I'll be passing on this one.

Posted via my Canadian Passport
    They put a big label advertising its 8 megaP camera. Folks, that's nothing to advertise. That is two years old specs.

The Z10 has it in specs. Display being one.

Last edited by trsbbs; 02-27-15 at 11:10 AM.
    02-26-15 09:01 AM
    Why would it be cheaper? It's pretty much the same internals but with a larger screen. And it's target market is the same enterprise users.

I think the only reason the Z10 ended up being priced lower than the Q10 was that it was aimed at consumers... (puls they made too many of them). And let's face it.... no one is buying this unless they have too. Even most BlackBerry Fans are going to want the 18 month old (but better) Z30 over the LEAP.

It'll be cheaper, it's already being claimed as cheaper on import docs. - https://www.zauba.com/import-blackbe...7-hs-code.html
    theRock1975 and awindsr like this.
    02-26-15 09:05 AM
    https://www.zauba.com/import-blackbe...c-hs-code.html

Back in the beginning the Classic EVALUATION devices were only around 10,000 INR, but currently seems to be about 22,000 - 23,000 INR (not retail prices). It very possible that these early EVALUATION device are being valued more accurately than the Classic were when they first can out, and will be cheaper.

Cheaper is always better for the end users. But personally I think BlackBerry should charge the same for the LEAP as the Classic... the decision to buy isn't going to be based on price anyway, and margins are going to be critical.... unless they start drastically increasing sales.

What I do find disturbing... is that shipments of the Classic to India seemed to have stopped at the initial 12K units back in January, with no new shipments in February. Maybe it is a indication of inventory issues (gearing up for the US market) and not a reflection of the lack of demand. Or could just be a glitch in Zauba data for the Classic...
    02-26-15 10:12 AM
    I would've bought this device if they had made it look like a Z10 with the screen size they're offering... The Z10 is the best, classy looking phone I've ever come across and nothing has come close to it yet, not a single device on the market has beaten the Z10 in terms of design. I personally feel, this is the best design blackberry has ever come up with and that this is the best looking phone in the market or at least was as they're saying... about the blackberry leap though, if they were going to copy the looks from a previous device or make it look similar why the Z3 out of every other device, the Z3 looks just sad. There's a Z3 in my family and ever time I look at it I wish they had put some thought to the design of the phone and not just put it out there in the market coz it's a low end device, no matter how it looks. If I were a Z3, I'd be screaming out 'I Deserve Better '... Alright, anyway, I personally, don't like the Z3 and because the leap looks almost exactly like the Z3, I'm going to have to wait for something that catches my eye... like the Z10 did, initially.

Posted via CB10
    mania626 and lactose like this.
    02-26-15 10:39 PM
    I would've bought this device if they had made it look like a Z10 with the screen size they're offering... The Z10 is the best, classy looking phone I've ever come across and nothing has come close to it yet, not a single device on the market has beaten the Z10 in terms of design. I personally feel, this is the best design blackberry has ever come up with and that this is the best looking phone in the market or at least was as they're saying... about the blackberry leap though, if they were going to copy the looks from a previous device or make it look similar why the Z3 out of every other device, the Z3 looks just sad. There's a Z3 in my family and ever time I look at it I wish they had put some thought to the design of the phone and not just put it out there in the market coz it's a low end device, no matter how it looks. If I were a Z3, I'd be screaming out 'I Deserve Better '... Alright, anyway, I personally, don't like the Z3 and because the leap looks almost exactly like the Z3, I'm going to have to wait for something that catches my eye... like the Z10 did, initially.

Posted via CB10
    I totally agree with you! Z10 is the best designed phone.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 04:03 AM
    Most observers seem to be missing the point : presumably this is aimed at developing markets and perhaps poorer countries where cost not high spec is the factor. If cheap, it could sell loads in those sectors.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 05:51 AM
    Most observers seem to be missing the point : presumably this is aimed at developing markets and perhaps poorer countries where cost not high spec is the factor. If cheap, it could sell loads in those sectors.
    Posted via CB10
    I completely agree, but I want them to make a phone to target me, and I don't go for cheap or boring... </scnr>
    02-27-15 05:59 AM

Posted via CB10
    Wasn't the Z3 that phone? And why not just use the Z10 for that purpose. I'm sure they could manufacture that at a cosiderably cheap enough price to pass on the savings.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 07:25 AM
    Wasn't the Z3 that phone? And why not just use the Z10 for that purpose. I'm sure they could manufacture that at a cosiderably cheap enough price to pass on the savings.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah you are right the Z3 was the developing market device... the LEAP is the "upgraded" version for enterprise entry level users in the rest of the world. It will be sold everywhere else, but at a higher price than the Z3.

I think if BlackBerry ever plans another targeted developing market device... it needs to have dual SIMs and better be a little cheaper. But as BB10 doesn't have anything like BIS to offer, and they'll never be able to compete in the sub $100 price range. They pretty much can't compete in these markets either.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    02-27-15 08:41 AM
    I don't see the point of this phone in north america....

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 08:49 AM

Posted via CB10
    And your missing that they already have a cheap Z3. And the Passport. And the Classic. But no Z10/30 replacement for those getting to the end of their cell contracts.

Chen doesn't understand buying cycles BYOD or why a work phone should be able to play games on.

He is lost. This ain't Sybase.

Last edited by trsbbs; 02-27-15 at 11:09 AM.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    02-27-15 09:22 AM
    Wonder why blackberry is going up and down. We need an all touch phone with the passport specs and better camera. COME ON, BLACKBERRY! GIVE THESE PEOPLE AIR
    02-27-15 09:37 AM
    Wonder why blackberry is going up and down. We need an all touch phone with the passport specs and better camera. COME ON, BLACKBERRY! GIVE THESE PEOPLE AIR
    I don't see a full touch flagship in the horizon, at least not a Z50 but I think the rumoured Visa / Victoria with the pivoting keyboard are meant as a compromise between the two worlds. Aspect ratio of the full touch slab, with an innovative / gimmickry keyboard to attract new users as the Passport did.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 10:46 AM
    And your missing that they already have a cheap Z3. And the Passport. And the Classic. But no Z10/30 replacement for those getting to the end of their cell contracts.

Chen doesn't understand buying cycles BYOD or why a work phone should be able to play games on.

He is lost. This ain't Sybase.

Your words are harsher than I would formulate it.
    But by now, I do wonder about their data gathering/analysis/market analysis team and the informations Chen has, that we don't.

Because if there isn't some crucial data/info we are missing, I tend to agree that Chen doesn't seem to understand the smartphone market.
    He isn't alone though.
    The decision making since(and including) the BlackBerry Storm, in terms of giving the market the handsets it desires, has been awful..

It appears to me, that a lot of executives either live in a reality distortion field, in which people actually still desire physical keyboard phones and like to pay 100% more for a BlackBerry, than for an equivalently specced phone, or that those guys really are THAT clueless on what to do, to make handsets people might actually want to buy.

Product portfolio, pricing strategy and overall marketing (I tend to put Digital Rivers in that category. DR is a publicity disaster) have been bad for 6 years in a row.
    That level of incompetence shouldn't be found at the pay grade and the amount of university diplomas, those employees have.

Was that an Arnold Schwarzenegger reference? Total Recall, IIRC.
    02-27-15 02:27 PM
    Chen is so far out there that we will see two weeks of good Classic sales. Some Enterprise purchases but we will mostly remember nothing.
    The S6 and M9 will see to it that the Classic is invisible. That along with real strong IPhone 6 sales within the Enterprise world Apple will mess with BlackBerry in a major way.

Hard to hear. Going to be even harder to watch.

Sorry...

LuvULongTime likes this.
    02-27-15 02:42 PM
    This is the Z3 Enterprise @ $300 and will be marketed as such. Nothing here for the BB consumer. There is no value proposition for a $600-700 touch flagship for the enterprise market, they just want a low priced model to transition their Z10s to.
    02-27-15 02:58 PM

Anyone with kids is going to think of the LEAP pad.

That's a child's tablet that runs educational games. Not an ideal association, to be sure.
    But if this device is meant to serve undeveloped markets, then that's probably no matter.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-27-15 03:07 PM

I agree, the Z30 is fantastic, and you may as well get a Z30 over the "Leap," especially if you can find the X30 on sale...

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    02-27-15 03:10 PM
50 12