Windows phone have no carrier support in Canada. I work at rogers and about 2 people have inquired to me about them in about 4 months. We don't push them nor do customers want them

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 11:58 AM
    Uh ? Strange OS...

OS 10.3.1.2414 ? (min 1:07)

03-03-15 03:20 PM
    People seem to be missing the point.. listen to whom BB is targeting the leap at... Corporate and governments who want economical smartphone for bulk orders and individuals who want a cheap and secure device... read Enterprise users... this constant dream that somehow BB is catering to the consumer market is astounding.. they are not.. so why all this consumer oriented posts are beyond me...

What really gets me is the constant whining about price... really... if you are that cheap and want an insecure phone ... go by a cheap far east asia knock off... Hardware is an area right now that still keeps the company going and to sell something so cheap you have not margin means in BB case.... no company....
    03-03-15 03:33 PM
    People seem to be missing the point.. listen to whom BB is targeting the leap at... Corporate and governments who want economical smartphone for bulk orders and individuals who want a cheap and secure device... read Enterprise users... this constant dream that somehow BB is catering to the consumer market is astounding.. they are not.. so why all this consumer oriented posts are beyond me...

What really gets me is the constant whining about price... really... if you are that cheap and want an insecure phone ... go by a cheap far east asia knock off... Hardware is an area right now that still keeps the company going and to sell something so cheap you have not margin means in BB case.... no company....

Correct. BlackBerry needs that extra margin. Some of those Chinese manufacturers, even major Android manufacturers, are in the minus or just scraping a living. Sony is exiting phones.

Plus, hardware on BlackBerry is security certified, ever thought about that?
    Don't get that for nothing. Government and corps are happy to pay.

:-)

�   "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)   �
    03-03-15 04:40 PM
    Although I do my fair share of BB wtf shaking my head, I really think many of you are missing the point of this device. How many times does BB have to say that they want to capture a larger portion of the Enterprise market before it sinks in? There are plenty of corporations that will purchase this for $275 as its a bargain compared to other corporate phones.

I've seen that people have posted that its not comparable to the low end Lumia or Moto G. How many companies do you think are purchasing those phones for their employees to use? None, if any, unless its BYOD and even then it would be a ridiculously small amount of people because employees aren't purchasing those phones for personal use.

While I don't think its a particularly attractive phone, this fits in to Blackberry's strategy perfectly. Its just that so many of you refuse to comprehend that BB doesn't really care if you want a high end touch screen right now because consumers aren't going to buy it and it would probably bury them for good. They've given the Passport to those who want a high end phone with a keyboard and the Classic to those who want the tool belt. Chen has been pretty clear he is focusing on the keyboard as it is a major differentiator between them and the touchscreen market. If this phone sells well then I think they could look at selling something high end. But is it really in Blackberry's interest to make a state of the art touchscreen device that no one is going to buy right now but the die hard consumer?
    03-03-15 07:34 PM
    I here all the arguments about price point but I believe the leap with be a better-made device than those other low-end / mid-tier offerings. If it's one thing BlackBerry knows how to do, it's how to design decent hardware. 2GB Ram and 16GB Storage is hardly bad for that tier and it has a rubberized backing. Not to mention it runs Android Apps and has the Amazon App Store preloaded. I think it can be a serious contender.
    03-03-15 08:06 PM
    I here all the arguments about price point but I believe the leap with be a better-made device than those other low-end / mid-tier offerings. If it's one thing BlackBerry knows how to do, it's how to design decent hardware. 2GB Ram and 16GB Storage is hardly bad for that tier and it has a rubberized backing. Not to mention it runs Android Apps and has the Amazon App Store preloaded. I think it can be a serious contender.
    Forget about RAM, it doesn't and shouldn't be mentioned. BB10 can't and won't run on anything less than 2GB of RAM so its the same as putting 1GB in a phone that can run its OS on it.
    03-03-15 08:25 PM
    Swing and a miss on the pricing, it needed to be $50-75 cheaper than the $275 they mentioned in the live blog so it was in the same ballpark as devices like the Moto G.
    The price will drop very quickly, like it does on all phones.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 11:26 PM
    It is what it is. a new slab device to get the bb10 browser in your hands and the BlackBerry messaging interface and controls. Might be worth it for done. Are hdmi out ports still present here?

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 11:31 PM
    Forget about RAM, it doesn't and shouldn't be mentioned. BB10 can't and won't run on anything less than 2GB of RAM so its the same as putting 1GB in a phone that can run its OS on it.
    The z3 runs with 1.5GB.
    03-04-15 02:28 AM
    Only just noticing how similar it is to the Z30 in terms of specs. If it had the hdmi port I'd definitely get one.

Posted via CB10 on Q5SQR100-2/10.3.1.2243
    03-04-15 02:39 AM
    Compare devices: Compare Smartphones - Cell Phones at BlackBerry - Canada

Would like to see release dates for europe and nordic contries. Strange to not see an additional new all touch device with more hardware power. Love the keyboard on my Z10.
    03-04-15 07:15 AM
    The z3 runs with 1.5GB.
    And 10.3.1 does it so well that z3 now can run max 8 apps flawlessly.

People want to get security, productivity for free. They never consider paying a dollar for the developers behind the software /OS. Ok I get it now.
    Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 11:40 AM
    Only just noticing how similar it is to the Z30 in terms of specs. If it had the hdmi port I'd definitely get one.

Posted via CB10 on Q5SQR100-2/10.3.1.2243
    I'm almost certain it uses slimport like the classic and passport. Which can be hdmi or vga even.
    Edit: can't find any info on slimport for Leap... sad to see its not available.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Dave Bourque; 03-09-15 at 02:40 PM.
    03-09-15 11:56 AM
    From what I gather this is a low to mid level phone meant for enterprise. Bbry knows they can't compete on price with the cheap androids , but need to offer a slab for enterprise. Thus the pricing.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 02:37 PM
    Microsoft isn't losing money on the Lumias so it isn't a loss maker
    It's frigging for enterprise! Stop comparing. The focus is on enterprise. Every other sale is a bonus. Classic is an enterprise phone also. Every phone they will release has enterprise in mind first and foremost. They have to look at handsets that way for the foreseeable future.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 08:36 PM
    It's frigging for enterprise! Stop comparing. The focus is on enterprise. Every other sale is a bonus. Classic is an enterprise phone also. Every phone they will release has enterprise in mind first and foremost. They have to look at handsets that way for the foreseeable future.

Posted via CB10

If Microsoft can produce super cheap devices with desirable productivity software isn't that a big threat to BlackBerry handsets?
    03-12-15 08:38 PM
    At least BB always do top notch commercials for business. Love the startup-theme. Pure business. No hipster beard wearing skinny jeans-lets live in peace and harmony and dance to candy crash and snapchat to death-stuff. Serious business.

Just sad that the specs are kind of low for 2015! And for me, the design and specs of the Z30 are still better than the Leap, right?

Anyway, long live BlackBerry! BlackBerry for life!!!!!
    03-12-15 08:52 PM
    If Microsoft can produce super cheap devices with desirable productivity software isn't that a big threat to BlackBerry handsets?
    Almost any scenario that challenges BlackBerry is a threat. BlackBerry doesn't have the funds to do everything and build whatever they want. Microsoft, on the other hand $$$

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 09:02 PM
    Although I do my fair share of BB wtf shaking my head, I really think many of you are missing the point of this device. How many times does BB have to say that they want to capture a larger portion of the Enterprise market before it sinks in? There are plenty of corporations that will purchase this for $275 as its a bargain compared to other corporate phones.

I've seen that people have posted that its not comparable to the low end Lumia or Moto G. How many companies do you think are purchasing those phones for their employees to use? None, if any, unless its BYOD and even then it would be a ridiculously small amount of people because employees aren't purchasing those phones for personal use.

While I don't think its a particularly attractive phone, this fits in to Blackberry's strategy perfectly. Its just that so many of you refuse to comprehend that BB doesn't really care if you want a high end touch screen right now because consumers aren't going to buy it and it would probably bury them for good. They've given the Passport to those who want a high end phone with a keyboard and the Classic to those who want the tool belt. Chen has been pretty clear he is focusing on the keyboard as it is a major differentiator between them and the touchscreen market. If this phone sells well then I think they could look at selling something high end. But is it really in Blackberry's interest to make a state of the art touchscreen device that no one is going to buy right now but the die hard consumer?
    I don't believe it. I think the fleet model is long dead, having been replaced by byod. And I think the BlackBerry Leap is an example of BlackBerry refusing to adapt to that reality. I think if the fleet model was still primarily dominant that BlackBerry would probably still be in a very strong position with much more marketshare so it's understandable that BlackBerry wants this to be the case....its just not.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 09:27 PM
    I don't believe it. I think the fleet model is long dead, having been replaced by byod. And I think the BlackBerry Leap is an example of BlackBerry refusing to adapt to that reality. I think if the fleet model was still primarily dominant that BlackBerry would probably still be in a very strong position with much more marketshare so it's understandable that BlackBerry wants this to be the case....its just not.

Posted via CB10
    I think you are the one that don't get it. There are plenty of governments and businesses that will never use byod and there are enough those groups out there that will keep blackberry alive. Blackberry is not looking to become the number one smartphone maker or anything like that. They are looking to carve out a niche for themselves that will make the company profitable.
    03-12-15 10:40 PM
    I get the whole super low end and overpricing for the handful of organisations that will order this in bulk, but then they slap a "the power to succeed" slogan? Come on, that's like an insult.
    03-12-15 10:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    You have rocks in your head if you think there is no place for this phone because of BYOD. This is a necessary phone along with the classic.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 06:21 AM
    If it's one thing BlackBerry knows how to do, it's how to design decent hardware. 2GB Ram and 16GB Storage is hardly bad for that tier and it has a rubberized backing. Not to mention it runs Android Apps and has the Amazon App Store preloaded.
    BB knows how to do decent hardware? They were light years behind most phones in hardware for about five years until not long ago. Compare their high end phones from 08-13 vs. other high end phones. They were always behind in screen size, lack of touch screen, resolution, storage, memory, processor, etc. And comparing memory and processor from OS to OS is difficult to do. Apple's highest-end phones have only 2GB of ram and a dual-core processor, yet they're the fastest phones around. 2GB is going to cause headaches on BB10 and I find it hard to believe that many large corporations are going to **** off their employees by forcing them to carry Leaps. Might as well give them LeapFrogs.

Also, it doesn't run all Android apps. The Amazon app store is weak to begin with, but many of those apps won't run due to lack of support for GP Services. More and more apps are requiring GP Services to function, and this trend will only increase over the next few years. Security can only get you so far, and the gap has closed substantially.
    03-13-15 05:59 PM
    You have rocks in your head if you think there is no place for this phone because of BYOD. This is a necessary phone along with the classic.

Posted via CB10
    I think there is less place for this phone than there is for a high end all touch

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 06:32 PM
53 123