Hello

I'm a happy owner of Blackberry Z10 and Q10, I have also a Samsung Galaxy Note 4.
    I bought a Blackberry Leap but unlike both 3 phones I have, the battery is non-removable.

i'm handyman so no problem for me to disassemble a phone, I already make it lots of time.

My answer is : Where can I buy a battery replacement for my Blackberry Leap, is this is not available, can I hope in the future find a battery replacement ?

Thank you for yours answers
    06-22-15 04:04 AM
    you need a replacement battery already?
    06-22-15 05:36 AM
    no, but I always have a replacement battery for all my phones in my home in the case the original doesn't working I do not wait for another one.
    06-22-15 07:27 AM
    And this... is why none removable is a bad idea.

Wake up blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-15 08:34 PM
    Very very bad Idea
    06-23-15 02:52 AM
    Non-removable batteries allow for devices to be much thinner while having much larger battery capacities.

There is also the fact that having a removable backing may just be another point of failure, and if the back it not removable, it allows for better unibody construction to make a more rigid and sturdier device.

So they're actually a great idea.

All that being said, it's usually hard to find parts for brand new or unpopular devices, as well as very old devices.

The leap was just released. Give it 6 months and then hunt around for a battery.

If you're going to keep it in the house, make sure to swap it and use it for a few months at a time. It will extend the life of both batteries, and when one does die out, the other one won't be a useless lump from disuse.

If you don't do this you'll end up with two dead batteries instead of one.

Work Wide and Prosper
    06-23-15 04:19 AM
    Thank you for your advices
    06-23-15 04:41 AM
    Non-removable batteries allow for devices to be much thinner while having much larger battery capacities.
    True... but we ain't crying for a thinner device per say... how thin we talking about? like a piece of paper? (Blackberry are known for being a bit chunky)... i wouldn't mind if its chunky (means more protection from drops) - super thin device is stupid... this is not art it's your communications tool, which needs to be thin but not SUPER THIN.... we need to protect it.

There is also the fact that having a removable backing may just be another point of failure, and if the back it not removable, it allows for better unibody construction to make a more rigid and sturdier device.
    How the hell does it mean failure? (look at iphone...) good example... if the phone is in 'ANYWAY' damaged... you simply cannot change the battery or get your sd card to save your photos.... a removable back plate is success gives you freedom of control of the device you paid for..... the lack of removable back plate... will make you get a phone in the next 2 to 3 years due to the battery degrading. (you are right about better construction) - but it's not always the case.

So they're actually a great idea.
    Great idea? in the long run? absolutely not.

One thing tho.... blackberry still use 'SD CARD' slot... that is a win... seeing samsung dropped support for it, in the S6
    06-23-15 03:10 PM
    True... but we ain't crying for a thinner device per say... how thin we talking about? like a piece of paper? (Blackberry are known for being a bit chunky)... i wouldn't mind if its chunky (means more protection from drops) - super thin device is stupid... this is not art it's your communications tool, which needs to be thin but not SUPER THIN.... we need to protect it.

How the hell does it mean failure? (look at iphone...) good example... if the phone is in 'ANYWAY' damaged... you simply cannot change the battery or get your sd card to save your photos.... a removable back plate is success gives you freedom of control of the device you paid for..... the lack of removable back plate... will make you get a phone in the next 2 to 3 years due to the battery degrading. (you are right about better construction) - but it's not always the case.

Great idea? in the long run? absolutely not.

One thing tho.... blackberry still use 'SD CARD' slot... that is a win... seeing samsung dropped support for it, in the S6
    I agree, SD cards are great. You can had SD cards with a non removable back. Look at the classic, and myriad android devices.

A non removable battery also allows for lower cost in battery manufacturing, since you don't have to build a case around due to it being handled as often.

The battery will deteriorate no faster or slower than a removable one, assuming you just use the one battery.

There is convenience in removable batteries, but there is a lot of good reasons to go with non removable.

Work Wide and Prosper
    06-23-15 03:23 PM
    The battery will deteriorate no faster or slower than a removable one, assuming you just use the one battery.
    The point being all batteries start deteriorating from the first day of being manufactured. This is why new batteries that have not even been opened can be unusable due to being deteriorated from just being stored.

My point is that, it is only a matter of time before the battery becomes unusable. If you own a phone for more than a year, you will notice the decreased battery life. Your cpu, ram, and SD card will last for more than 10 years since the technology allows them to be used for a long time. The battery is not there yet.

You mentioned internal battery phones are also thinner? This is also not true.

Compare the thickness of the HTC One phones to the Galaxy Note lineup with removable batteries. You will see that the Note phones are not only thinner, but have larger batteries than the One. Besides, the phones have gotten thin enough that the thinness of a phone is no longer a topic being talked about.

The thinness of a phone is not about the phone battery, but the overall phone design. If the battery could be shaped into some crazy shapes to use every space available in a phone, then the sealed in batteries could be bigger. But as it stands right now, all batteries are rectangular, thus not able to utilize all spaces available.

Removable back covers are actually more robust than sealed in unibody phones . If you broke the back glass on your galaxy S6, IPhone 4S, or Sony Xperia phones, you would be out close to $200 for the repairs.

However, if I lost/broke a backcover on my Z10, I can just buy one for $10 on Ebay, not that I would break the rear cover of the Z10. I have never seen a single broken back cover of the Z10 so far.

I can make tons of points including being able to use the extended battery cover on my Z10 (with no charging cable, no transfer loss). But I realize that BlackBerry has outsourced its manufacturing to Foxconn so it is unlikely that we will see removable battery phones from BlackBerry again.

I cannot change BlackBerry but at least I can boycott phones with sealed in batteries, which is why I am sticking with my Z10 and my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    06-30-15 02:14 PM
    hello can a battery be replaced in blackberry leap?
    10-30-15 05:13 PM
    Might get a Leap, any ideas on finding the battery for future replacement?
    02-24-16 01:54 PM
    I didn't get the Leap but the th lack of removable battery. I've got a Z10 and I've change the battery a few times, if no th device would b death a long time ago an due to the change of batteries still flows

Posted via CB10
    02-25-16 02:08 PM
    Might get a Leap, any ideas on finding the battery for future replacement?
    The Leap has a Non-Removable battery. This means that you won't be able to purchase another one or replace it once it gets old.

A Berry A Day Keeps The Apple Away
    02-26-16 01:51 PM
    Guys I have a Leap, and has a battery that lasts very long. With heavy/moderate use, I go to sleep with 35% at 11 pm with the Leap switch on at 7 am. I really advice to get this BB.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-16 01:43 AM
    Guys I have a Leap, and has a battery that lasts very long. With heavy/moderate use, I go to sleep with 35% at 11 pm with the Leap switch on at 7 am. I really advice to get this BB.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think anyone is doubting that it has a great battery life.

People who are asking about the battery exchange are the ones that keep their phone for longer than two years, and wanting to change the battery once the original battery deteriorates enough not to last a day.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-16 02:00 AM
    I have a ipod 80GB, flip Mino, numerous Nokia, all old and never have bought another battery for them. I think the Leap will last over 5 years, no problem. I have one and Love the design and BB10. No problem with apps as I just turn Web pages into apps. I may buy the white one so I can set it next to the conservative grey and have 4 rows instead of the Passport 3 rows.Think of that. True multitasking with 2 phones showing 2 open Web pages. At the price of the Leap, the possibilities know no horizons.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-16 04:32 PM
    I don't think anyone is doubting that it has a great battery life.

People who are asking about the battery exchange are the ones that keep their phone for longer than two years, and wanting to change the battery once the original battery deteriorates enough not to last a day.

Posted via CB10
    You are right, but I think the Leap can last more than 2 years! I agree with somebody saying it sucks to have a not removable battery. But sincerely, this Leap lasts really long!

Posted via CB10
    02-27-16 05:50 PM
    It's non-removable.
    But the battery is designed to live long.
    That means with some proper use it will last for about 3-5 years. That should be enough time to think about an another (newer) device.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-16 09:11 AM
    You can replace it anyway. It's just a bit more difficult to find and replace it. In any case, any phone battery you buy 3 years after the launch of the phone is going to be deteriorated too, there's no point
    03-04-16 02:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    I agree, and if the battery weakens in three years then just replace it, or get a new phone then. Enjoy your Leaps people.
    03-04-16 05:33 PM
    I have searched and cannot even find a replacement battery available to order.

Posted via CB10
    skstrials likes this.
    03-26-16 11:20 PM