In another thread someone, sorry I forget who, was saying how much he/she enjoyed their BB Leap as a 'weekend' device. I asked a few friends who are BB users a few weeks ago about what they thought about the Leap as a back up but all I got were tuts and sighs in return.

So, the question is this; is the Leap at $279 (CDN) worth it as a back up device or not? Should I perhaps wait for it to go on sale? (Never seen it reduced to date).

I know there are some compromises made with this device (no compass for example) but it will just be for email/BBM/texting use over the weekend with some minor game playing thrown in for good measure.
    10-30-16 08:06 AM
    I'm sure you're already aware of BB10's current situation.
    That being said, if the Leap suits your needs, then go for it.
    10-30-16 09:07 AM
    I am very aware of BB's position on hardware and OS's but I find Android messy and awkward to use and I don't like being locked down in proprietary hell with Apple, especially after the recently added confusion of ports with their new MacPros. I'll run BB10 for as long as I can.
    10-30-16 09:11 AM
    I like the Leap more than the Z30 just bc of the screen and form factor, however, I think it can be had for much less, I think I paid around $100 less for mine on Ebay, might have been Amazon but i always check Ebay first, never got a misrepresented item from them. There is nothing wrong with how it operates, just like any other BB10, and it has that FM radio too.
    10-30-16 11:17 AM
    I took a look at eBay yesterday and I didn't find the pricing particularly exciting. My preferences are new or as new and preferably factory unlocked, updates are going to be tough enough even without having to fight for them from your carrier.

I'll keep an eye on Shop BlackBerry for another couple of weeks, if the price doesn't move by then I'll have to search further afield.
    11-01-16 09:00 AM
    As an FYI: Ended up going for a Lumia 650 for $179 CDN (with a $20 credit). Main advantages are the price and the fact it's dual SIM, a HUGE plus. RAM is lacking at 1GB and the processor is a titch slower but as it'll be used as a backup it's performance hasn't been an issue for me. Windows 10 seems to be much more suited to a mobile device than my home PC but I miss BB10. I have no idea if the camera is any better or not as I only use a mobile device to take snap shots, all worthwhile stuff I do on my FM2 or D80.

It really is a shame as I was hoping to get a Leap and stick with BB10 but the pricing's WAY off compared to pretty much anything else out there. Had it been around the same price as the 650 it would almost have been a no-brainer to buy it except for the dual SIM. Sorry BlackBerry, I tried.
    11-14-16 08:57 AM
    As an FYI: Ended up going for a Lumia 650 for $179 CDN (with a $20 credit). Main advantages are the price and the fact it's dual SIM, a HUGE plus. RAM is lacking at 1GB and the processor is a titch slower but as it'll be used as a backup it's performance hasn't been an issue for me. Windows 10 seems to be much more suited to a mobile device than my home PC but I miss BB10. I have no idea if the camera is any better or not as I only use a mobile device to take snap shots, all worthwhile stuff I do on my FM2 or D80.

It really is a shame as I was hoping to get a Leap and stick with BB10 but the pricing's WAY off compared to pretty much anything else out there. Had it been around the same price as the 650 it would almost have been a no-brainer to buy it except for the dual SIM. Sorry BlackBerry, I tried.
    I have both, and also a Passport....i used for 2 months the Passport and the 650 abroad...now I am back to the Leap, and not moving away. With reference to the 650, I like win10 mobile a lot, but battery wise is not so good. I hope moreover that WA will be better implemented soon....

Posted via CB10
    12-04-16 05:14 PM
    That sounds too expensive

Posted via Passport SE
    12-04-16 06:30 PM