Reviving this old thread because I'm curious what you have replaced Contacts, Dialer (and other BB Services tied apps) with.

I'm quite concerned that when I want to add a phone number into contacts BB Services asks for permissions to:
    - data for BBH, Notes, Tasks
    - make & manage phone calls
    - send & view SMS

what for???

Does anybody successfully disabled Google and unnecessary BB bits (Services, Hub, ...)? Could you please share the experience?
    I've disabled everything google that I could, in my opinion they are an unethical and immoral company, ...I bought a BlackBerry because I've used BlackBerry since their inception, unfortunately BB10 is now obsolete so I have to put up with what's available,

.......I bought a BlackBerry because I wanted a BlackBerry and the security they have been renowned for, I trust the BlackBerry native apps far more than anything google produce.
    02-11-18 01:42 PM
    I've disabled everything google that I could, in my opinion they are an unethical and immoral company, ...I bought a BlackBerry because I've used BlackBerry since their inception, unfortunately BB10 is now obsolete so I have to put up with what's available,

.......I bought a BlackBerry because I wanted a BlackBerry and the security they have been renowned for, I trust the BlackBerry native apps far more than anything google produce.
    Hi jmzed, thank you

This is the kind of answer I was hoping for.

Could you please share your experience - what apps you use as a replacement for google apps (e.g. maps & others) and what steps did you take to disable all google stuff?

ALL:
    Do you allow all the permissions for BlackBerry apps that they ask for? E.g. I think "location" permission are not at all needed for Contacts to work. I understand now that some others might be required.

Is it possible to set DTEK that it monitors & notifies upon e.g. accessing the web from BB and other apps - I know that some apps mine data from people.

Thank you in advance
    kr.
    02-12-18 09:24 AM
    Hi jmzed, thank you

This is the kind of answer I was hoping for.

Could you please share your experience - what apps you use as a replacement for google apps (e.g. maps & others) and what steps did you take to disable all google stuff?

ALL:
    Do you allow all the permissions for BlackBerry apps that they ask for? E.g. I think "location" permission are not at all needed for Contacts to work. I understand now that some others might be required.

Is it possible to set DTEK that it monitors & notifies upon e.g. accessing the web from BB and other apps - I know that some apps mine data from people.

Thank you in advance
    kr.
    @krajicek
    I've only had my Keyone for over a week, but have used android tablets since they were introduced. I have always disabled as many google apps as I could and used open source apps from f-droid.org
    To disable the google apps is quite straightforward by going into 'settings' > 'apps' .....select an app, clear data, then force stop, then disable.
    There are many articles on the web on how to de-google an android.

With regards to BlackBerry apps, I grant them all permissions but keep location switched off, I only switch location on when I need it.

I cannot help with D-tek it is new to me.

for maps I use maps.me it works very well off- line, I often travel in areas of the UK where there is not data signal.

this is a very good thread for alternative apps: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...-bb10-1114001/

I am really enjoying Blackplayer for music and Keyboard Browser for internet, Kinemaster is great for making movies, Open Camera is a good camera app, for office apps I use TextMaker HD / Plan Maker HD / Presentations HD from Softmaker Software Gmbh (these will open everything even old pocket word documents). I use Autodesk Sketchbook Pro for painting, Photo Suite Pro insread of Photoshop. As I am having trouble using BBM i use ICQ instead as I can use that on android, MAC & Linux with the same ID.

I am only a novice with Keyone but have used BlackBerry forever ....and Handspring, Palm, RIM, Jornada etc..

Please PM me if you have any questions, I will be as objective as possible..... but maybe not so when discussing google.....

regards
    JMZ
    krajicek likes this.
    02-12-18 12:00 PM
    I disabled Hub and Hub+ Services due to battery concerns, haha. Now I easily get 2 days!
    02-12-18 04:31 PM
    I disabled all of the google apps as soon as I got my KeyOne. I used Keyboard browser for 98% of my browsing and used Microsoft Edge for the rare times that a page won't load properly. I'm not signed into Google on either browser. I use google maps the Web page in the browser and that works just fine. I no longer get the emails or pop UPS from google that say "hey, you were just in Safeway. (for example).. would you like to write a review"
    02-13-18 03:02 PM
    I disabled everything from BlackBerry and Google. It's not the permissions that make me skeptical, it's the "BlackBerry Telemetry" app that's running all the time.
    03-06-18 02:40 PM
    Location, standard permission anymore
    Photos, media and files: do you want to add a picture for a contact? Can't do that without this.
    Data for Hub, Notes, and Tasks: link data to a contact
    Make and manage phone calls: how else do you expect to make a phone call from a contact entry?
    Send and view SMS: same thing. Have to have the ability to access and associate the contact with their number and allow you to send them an SMS from the contact entry.

If you think about the actual work that the Contacts app needs to do, the permissions it asks for make sense.

Posted via CB10
    That's not so.. I have my Locations and microphone blocked cause to many apps try to listen in on things. I don't care what they here me say, it's just that it's not their business.
    03-07-18 09:20 AM
    I have stopped using all but one Blackberry app and that is the PW Keeper. With that single app, I still need to allow Blackberry Hub Services. Is there a comparable app that is free and same encryption?
    Keepass or bitwarden , both open sourced
    03-07-18 11:01 AM
    I'm finally in a happy place regarding my keyone's privacy. I've disabled google's services, and for everything else I use Netguard to monitor and block every other unwanted connection.

This includes BB+ Telemetry Services. This way I can keep my BB+ suite of apps, and not worry about the telemetry. That said - it would sure be nice if they created an option to opt out of their HUB+ Services telemetry collection. The standard option available under settings is very disingenuous and misleading as it only covers diagnostics of the device itself, while HUB+ seems to cover the BB apps and isn't affected by that setting.

I'm not sure why some users are reporting high battery usage from BB Apps, I rarely see more than 1% battery usage over a 2-4 day period.

DTEK + Netguard are two great ways to make sure your phone is respecting your privacy.

But beyond that, you need to think about what browser you are using... If you can't add tracker blocking extensions and deactivate the privacy defeating features of the browser like you can in Firefox, then I wouldn't use it (ie Google Chrome).

Edit: All that said, Im very seriously considering the Nokia 6 as my next phone if we can root it. I'll be able to ditch all the bloatware, install AFwall+, then install Cobalts BB Apps which have all the telemetry services removed.

Only downside is no DTEK.

2nd Edit: But can install XPrivacyLua as a DTEK substitute (made by same guy as Netguard)
    Last edited by chetmanley; 03-07-18 at 03:41 PM.
    03-07-18 02:33 PM
34 12