I'm new to Android...

So what is normal?

I seldom have much open ( just out of habit I close stuff even though I understand Android handles memory.)
    Attached Thumbnails Memory - what's normal-15098.jpg  
    07-05-17 09:15 AM
    I have 1.6, rarely 2.0 used.
    What I've done is, I've disabled all the google default apps (except Google Play), cleared all the data from those apps and force stopped them. I also deleted all the apps which I didn't need.
    For important apps which I disabled (like texting or phone calls) - I have installed some other from google play.

I made those changes not out of technical reasons, to free some memory or anything, but rather because of my preferences, I don't like Google apps being in my smartphone. But this somehow worked well for me.

I plan soon to make a thread where I give some more insights on that, as well as the apps I used to substitute the ones I disabled and how well they worked for me.
    C_McD likes this.
    07-05-17 09:43 AM
    I think it's normal and doesn't effect device performance for me now it's 2.5
    C_McD likes this.
    07-05-17 10:23 AM
    I have 1.6, rarely 2.0 used.
    What I've done is, I've disabled all the google default apps (except Google Play), cleared all the data from those apps and force stopped them. I also deleted all the apps which I didn't need.
    For important apps which I disabled (like texting or phone calls) - I have installed some other from google play.

I made those changes not out of technical reasons, to free some memory or anything, but rather because of my preferences, I don't like Google apps being in my smartphone. But this somehow worked well for me.

I plan soon to make a thread where I give some more insights on that, as well as the apps I used to substitute the ones I disabled and how well they worked for me.
    Let us know when you post that. Being new to Android and preferring not to have superfluous Google stuff...
    07-19-17 12:56 PM
    I think there's a misconception happening here. Android will keep your recently/frequently accessed apps cached in memory. Less-frequently accessed apps (newly accessed) will replace previously cached apps in memory on a priority basis I believe. This is by design. Based on this approach, you'll theoretically have up to 80% of your memory used at any given time, no matter how much memory you have.
    07-19-17 06:04 PM
    I think there's a misconception happening here. Android will keep your recently/frequently accessed apps cached in memory. Less-frequently accessed apps (newly accessed) will replace previously cached apps in memory on a priority basis I believe. This is by design. Based on this approach, you'll theoretically have up to 80% of your memory used at any given time, no matter how much memory you have.
    Granted Android manages it, but when there are apps you don't use - keep it simple. It's akin to bloatware.
    07-20-17 06:03 PM