I left BB after 8 years because my Priv died and I couldn't wait for the release date which was vague. Love my new LG G6, but miss the keyboard dearly. Have thought about coming back multiple times, but at each turn there's a major f**k up by BBMo/Blackberry/TCL/Alcatel/XYZ/WhosOnFirst

1. Availability (remember how demand was too high so they didn't want stock outs)
    2. Screen lift (waited for issue to be acknowledged and fixed)
    3. Availability - no black edition 4GB in US
    5. Notification Issues (AT&T version still has this problem)
    6. Reception issues (deal breaker for me - i travel a lot and need reliable connectivity)
    7. Something new by years end I'm sure.

Only reason they acknowledged screen lift was because of JerryRig who has tons of followers and created a media stink - there were reports of screen lift on here before the JerryRig video that BBMo didn't pay any attention to before that.

I don't blame or expect Crackberry to give any editorial attention to this; money talks, BS walks.
    Never a good time ha ha

Screen lift is resolved, readily available, notification find in Android update coming very soon to AT&T. All that said reception is inferior to classic or priv so get a case to help.

I bought a weboost setup for the house because I'm determined to use this device for a while
    09-18-17 09:46 PM
    You have to really hate touch screens (as I do) to put up with these "new model phone issues" but functionality of the K1 is so much better! Now, if I can just get someone to tell me which apps I need to except from battery optimization in order to improve my cell signal and get an answer as to why the LTE light goes out when I turn WIFI on I will be completely comfortable with my new K1.
    jfalkingham likes this.
    09-19-17 04:12 AM
    K1 #6 , AAO472 arrived immediately after initial setup of the phone.
    Keyone Dropping Signal. Weak Reception?-20171002_093929537_ios.jpg
    Reception similar to #5 : almost no signal on LTE in weak reception areas. Weak reception on 3G/2G, but no complete loss nor dropped calls.
    So reception-wise, for me it would have been possible to handle it (although not really satisfying, and still concerns of losing signal without noticing, when carrying it in my pocket), however, the SD card issue (losing contact with SD card 2 to 3 times day) was the same as with #5 (see my contribution in the related thread for more details). Therefore this one also has to go back, this time for a full refund.

This concludes my reporting on the signal issues of the silver K1. I will not buy another one, as I went through too many issues with this device, which I feel are way more than the usual imperfections that every phone has. I consider these being more in the quality of iphone 4 antennagate, iphone 6 bendgate, or Note 7 batterygate - issues, and nothing that 'you can just live with'.

BBMo doesn't deserve it, but I may buy a black version, as this would allow me for using internal storage only, rather than SD cards, and as there are some few reports on reception being slightly better....but I don't know yet. Firstly, it's not available yet in my country, and 2ndly, frustration is high after the bad experiences that I made.
    jfalkingham likes this.
    10-02-17 05:35 AM
    You have to really hate touch screens (as I do) to put up with these "new model phone issues" but functionality of the K1 is so much better! Now, if I can just get someone to tell me which apps I need to except from battery optimization in order to improve my cell signal and get an answer as to why the LTE light goes out when I turn WIFI on I will be completely comfortable with my new K1.
    Sadly software is not going to fix the core issue. It’s a hardware design flaw/defect/imperfection that should be resolved by TCL. Given the limited scope and base I don’t see them doing anything to fix this other releasing new hardware.

Personally I’d expect any device from TCL to be a one and done. Their history is constantly releasing hardware updates vs software updates.
    10-02-17 06:58 AM
    SD card issue: add a scotch tape (as thin as possible) on the back of the SD card might help... (some of the SD card is thinner, on the lower side of the std spec... some times, the SD card socket connector is medium in the spec, you might lost contact due to a) not enough spring force to keep it in contact - spec tolerance issue..buy high end SD card. b) poor plating on either connector or SD card contact - especially, when the gold price went up... some vendor cheap up on the thickness of gold or using cheap plating process - easy for FAB, but not very good for physical contact... or some other factor - all related to cost cutting either by the components vendor or SD card)...just a guess. (try it out, nothing to lose, you can always take the tape out after).
    10-02-17 07:23 AM
    O2 EE and Vodaphone all have 800 low frequency bands as LTE (that means travel distance a bit longer) in UK. high frequency band is depend upon who you choose, 2100 vs 2600 bands... OP, you mention you are with eontinental europe (carrier), didn't find their frequency listed. do you know they licensing someone else network or have their own? what coverage or frequency they use? LTE is not fully deployed, TD version got easily maxed up if too many user jump on cheap plan at once. look like your issue might just like the indian guy, part of them are contributed by network availability... IMHO.
    10-02-17 07:52 AM
    @stlabrat
    Scotch tape on SD card is no option for me, might become entangled inside, and I might lose warranty. In general, I'm not into 'fixing' HW problems or design issues myself, so thank you, but no.

This is all in the SD card thread(s): re high end SD cards: I used Samsung and Kingston (or SanDisk), so no no names. And not the cheapest ones. And, I used them in 2 different K1s. Same problem.

It's my carrier's own network, and it's the one with the widest and best coverage in country. I'm not going to dig into nor fiddle with bands and frequencies, that's not my thing, I just want a contemporary phone to work out of the box, as did the 5 or 7 or 11 other phones that I tried, at the same location, in the same network, with the same (or later a replacement) SIM.

Enough is enough. This K1 goes back, like the previous 5.
    10-02-17 02:09 PM
    i see. did you own a bb10 before? who set it up for you? IT friends? I think you need an iphone (besides, their apple store provide support).
    10-02-17 06:56 PM
    by the way, good luck on your next phone with SD card... if you stay with droid, here is some history might to be aware of... https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/191292-sd-card-unexpectedly-removed-anyone-else-4.html%2Bsd+card+problem+keyone&num=1&client=safar i&rls=en&dcr=0&hl=en&prmd=ivns&strip=1&vwsrc=0]Sd card unexpectedly removed.. Anyone else? - Page 4 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com[/url]
    10-02-17 07:08 PM
    i see. did you own a bb10 before? who set it up for you? IT friends? I think you need an iphone (besides, their apple store provide support).
    I don't see your point. I have an iPhone. And I had ~100 (estimated) other phones, since cell-/smartphones became popular. All brands and OSses that you can think of. I used to fiddle with settings etc. more often than anyone else that I know. Now I do no longer want that, and expect a new phone to work out of the box, like the last ~10 phones that I had, did.
    10-03-17 05:44 AM
    Thanks for going trough 6 phones and keeping us updated. Sad to see that such a good promise of battery life and keyboard android combo has such a terrible build quality. Returned mine last week due to bad call quality. Today went to a shop to ask about which date their stock originates from and it so happened to be that another guy was returning his Keyone due to a loose keyboard button.....

How is your experience with the black version so far? Any better?

Unless I hear some positive news I won't try and bother again. Sticking to my BB Classic for now eventhough its battery life has started to degrade.
    10-17-17 12:08 PM
    BTW on the sticker which seals the box in which the phone comes shows Below Made in china: 100817
    I believe this is the build date, correct?
    Last edited by xsangiorgi; 10-17-17 at 12:19 PM.
    10-17-17 12:09 PM

How is your experience with the black version so far? Any better?
    The black one is not yet available in my country, I’m actually desperately waiting for it, as it would resolve my SD card problems that I ran into on top of weak reception with the silver version. I also hope reception will improve with the black version, as some users here have noticed.
    10-18-17 04:19 AM
    BTW on the sticker which seals the box in which the phone comes shows Below Made in china: 100817
    I believe this is the build date, correct?
    This is the boxing date. For the build date, you have to enter a certain string of characters and numbers on the phone (I can’t remember it by heart but you should be able to find that easily here By performing a forum search).
    I experienced the boxing date to be equal with the production date for my last 2 K1s, so I guess under normal circumstances production and boxing will not be very far apart.
    10-18-17 04:23 AM
    My Keyone shows the same date on the box, peel off sticker on the back of the phone and when checked via the code. 18/09/17 for me. I'm on Vodaphone in the uk and have had the Keyone for a week. I do live in a rural area but the signal we receive has got steadily better over the time we have lived here, just over four years, and is now good enough that browsing the internet is as quick, if not quicker, than our broadband and making a call is never a problem. Unfortunately my unit too does not pick up any signal at home where the Passport I upgraded from, and my partners IPhone, both do with no problem. Luckily I will be receiving a replacement today, hopefully I've just got unlucky and received a bad unit but I'm not holding out much hope now having read some of the threads regarding the subject.

Will be a shame as in general I'm liking the phone. Firstly it's a lot nicer to hold in the hand than the Passport, the finger print reader is very good and the camera knocks spots off the Passport one which in my case was so slow to focus it made it almost unusable. It looks good and the keyboard is perfect for me.

I don't think it's quite as intuitive or easy to navigate around as the Passport, maybe that will change with more time spent with one, and I really wish that full stops and comma's were still a one touch option from the screen and that numbers were one button away but I can live with it. It's still not great for playing music through the speaker and I also had to download a music app so that it would read the wma files off my sd card when the Passport had no such problems but it's all little things really.

Probably the most annoying thing for me was the fact that the factory screen protector had a chuffing great logo all over it!! I never removed the one on the Passport, in fact it only got lifted when I traded it in at the end of last week, and I fully intended to do the same with the Keyone.

When the new handset arrives today it will be a case of checking the signal and if I still don't get any it too will go back and I will have to look at the other options on offer. Another bugger is the fact that I forked out for a relatively expensive Noreve case which I won't be able to return as it will be outside of the 7 day distance rules. We shall see.
    10-19-17 04:18 AM
    I had a poor signal in my home on my Blackberry Classic. TMobile sent me a cell booster and it solved the problem completely. Ask you carrier to send you a cell booster. There should be no charge as long as you return it to your carrier if you ever change to another carrier.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-26-17 10:51 PM
    My Keyone shows the same date on the box, peel off sticker on the back of the phone and when checked via the code. 18/09/17 for me. I'm on Vodaphone in the uk and have had the Keyone for a week. I do live in a rural area but the signal we receive has got steadily better over the time we have lived here, just over four years, and is now good enough that browsing the internet is as quick, if not quicker, than our broadband and making a call is never a problem. Unfortunately my unit too does not pick up any signal at home where the Passport I upgraded from, and my partners IPhone, both do with no problem. Luckily I will be receiving a replacement today, hopefully I've just got unlucky and received a bad unit but I'm not holding out much hope now having read some of the threads regarding the subject.

Will be a shame as in general I'm liking the phone. Firstly it's a lot nicer to hold in the hand than the Passport, the finger print reader is very good and the camera knocks spots off the Passport one which in my case was so slow to focus it made it almost unusable. It looks good and the keyboard is perfect for me.

I don't think it's quite as intuitive or easy to navigate around as the Passport, maybe that will change with more time spent with one, and I really wish that full stops and comma's were still a one touch option from the screen and that numbers were one button away but I can live with it. It's still not great for playing music through the speaker and I also had to download a music app so that it would read the wma files off my sd card when the Passport had no such problems but it's all little things really.

Probably the most annoying thing for me was the fact that the factory screen protector had a chuffing great logo all over it!! I never removed the one on the Passport, in fact it only got lifted when I traded it in at the end of last week, and I fully intended to do the same with the Keyone.

When the new handset arrives today it will be a case of checking the signal and if I still don't get any it too will go back and I will have to look at the other options on offer. Another bugger is the fact that I forked out for a relatively expensive Noreve case which I won't be able to return as it will be outside of the 7 day distance rules. We shall see.
    I feel the same, but there is a solution to If you want to have your nummers by one button away. You can set up a virtual keyboard that shows up with nummers on one press of the sym button. I have done that toghether with my swedish åäö.
    11-26-17 11:46 PM
    same problem here. I'm going to return mine.
    12-20-17 04:39 PM
193 ... 678