Title says it all, I'm about to buy me a sweet sweet BB Keyone, but it's gotta be CDMA (i'm with Verizon), and am curious to find out if it can be used when traveling internationally?

Ideally I'd just put in a local sim card and use it. I know they have a GSM variant, but to buy a separate GSM Keyone just for international travel purposes is not an option for me.

Basically asking to see if CDMA KeyOne has a Global network mode?

Thanks!
    06-07-17 02:15 PM
    Title says it all, I'm about to buy me a sweet sweet BB Keyone, but it's gotta be CDMA (i'm with Verizon), and am curious to find out if it can be used when traveling internationally?

Ideally I'd just put in a local sim card and use it. I know they have a GSM variant, but to buy a separate GSM Keyone just for international travel purposes is not an option for me.

Basically asking to see if CDMA KeyOne has a Global network mode?

Thanks!
    I guess I would hope it would work the way more recent past Verizon BB's worked - which was, yes, they were unlocked and could be used in Europe. The Priv works from personal experience. And before that the 9930 and the 8830 and others.

I believe the problem is that there still are no cdma versions of the K1 yet. But I'm hopeful I'm proved wrong.
    selektor_style likes this.
    06-07-17 04:29 PM
    it will work , if anything you will get at least 3g/4g
    selektor_style likes this.
    06-07-17 05:42 PM
    ...I know they have a GSM variant, but to buy a separate GSM Keyone just for international travel purposes is not an option for me.
    CDMA is a US variant. GSM predates CDMA and is the world standard.

As well as including most of the same LTE bands, the K1 CDMA version also includes the GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900 frequencies used in Europe.
    C_McD, selektor_style and FF22 like this.
    06-07-17 10:21 PM
    Sweet, massive thanks for clarifying this!!!
    06-09-17 08:05 AM
    I had the same question. The description of the CDMA KeyONE being sold by BestBuy clearly says that it only works on Verizon's network. Can anyone confirm having used the CDMA KeyONE on a gsm network?
    09-30-17 12:43 PM
    I was in Greece and Italy for a couple weeks in September. I went around and around with VZW and finally got Travel Pass setup, but then I didn't get notification until about the 10th day of my trip - after several contacts and calls to international support. I asked what it was and all they said was a "system glitch."

Since they don't sell it I assume their network just wasn't configured to see it.

My KEYᵒⁿᵉ came from BestBuy, but my BlackBerry Z30 had a micro SIM card, so I had to get a new nano Sim from VZW. They initially gave me a NFC Sim not knowing the KEYᵒⁿᵉ has NFC built-in, so I had to get a non-nfc sim.

All just added to the frustration of trying to be loyal to VZW.

Next trip I may take my Z30 just in case and switch back to it if I have to, but now that they've (hopefully) identified the KEYᵒⁿᵉ in their system I should be OK.

I will say service in Greece and Italy was slow compared to here and other places I've been in Europe.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-30-17 04:41 PM
    I had the same question. The description of the CDMA KeyONE being sold by BestBuy clearly says that it only works on Verizon's network. Can anyone confirm having used the CDMA KeyONE on a gsm network?
    I had been using the cdma Version (Amazon sale) on T-mobile. I have a rather limited T-mobile plan but expanded it for a trip to Los Angeles and it worked for calls and data. But now I have my Verizon sim in it and the T-mob in my Priv which is an official Verizon Priv (and it works there, too).
    09-30-17 07:03 PM
    FF22 thanks for the response. So you didn't experience any limitations when using the "Verizon"/CDMA KeyONE on T-Mobile's GSM network?
    10-01-17 05:48 PM
    FF22 thanks for the response. So you didn't experience any limitations when using the "Verizon"/CDMA KeyONE on T-Mobile's GSM network?
    I probably can't really guarantee that. I think it worked but I probably did not do extensive testing or use.

Any reason you don't want a gsm version?
    10-01-17 10:49 PM
    I probably can't really guarantee that. I think it worked but I probably did not do extensive testing or use.

Any reason you don't want a gsm version?
    Thanks. I'm on Verizon right now, so I have no choice but to get the CDMA version. However, I'd like to have the ability to travel internationally with it and to switch carriers in the future. As others have pointed out in this thread, previous Verizon BlackBerries have been both CDMA and GSM compatible. Doesn't seem like it would make much sense to produce a CDMA-only phone. But for $560, I just want to be certain before purchasing it.
    10-02-17 07:37 AM
    Thanks. I'm on Verizon right now, so I have no choice but to get the CDMA version. However, I'd like to have the ability to travel internationally with it and to switch carriers in the future. As others have pointed out in this thread, previous Verizon BlackBerries have been both CDMA and GSM compatible. Doesn't seem like it would make much sense to produce a CDMA-only phone. But for $560, I just want to be certain before purchasing it.
    There have been posts by people using this version on European trips. I forget the name (World Pass or similar) of the scheme used overseas. I have to imagine that like prior cdma devices used on Verizon, the KeyOne will work. I've used my various Verizon devices like the Priv, Z30, Z10 and 9930 while in Europe.

I hope to test it myself in Feb on a cross country ski trip to Norway. (g)
    10-02-17 08:10 AM
    There have been posts by people using this version on European trips. I forget the name (World Pass or similar) of the scheme used overseas. I have to imagine that like prior cdma devices used on Verizon, the KeyOne will work. I've used my various Verizon devices like the Priv, Z30, Z10 and 9930 while in Europe.

"Travel Pass" is what we used.

Hopefully, VZW has it straight by now, thanks to those of use that pushed.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-02-17 05:02 PM
    "Travel Pass" is what we used.

Hopefully, VZW has it straight by now, thanks to those of use that pushed.
    Thanks for pushing and the proper name!

I'm apparently not eligible because of my grandfathered UNlimited data plan.
    10-02-17 05:52 PM
    Thanks for pushing and the proper name!

I'm apparently not eligible because of my grandfathered UNlimited data plan.
    My daughter has unlimited with AT&T and her traveling cost her more because of that, but she streams a lot too. We're fairly conservative and hop on Wi-Fi whenever we can, so Travel Pass works good for us on VZW.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-03-17 08:36 AM
    My daughter has unlimited with AT&T and her traveling cost her more because of that, but she streams a lot too. We're fairly conservative and hop on Wi-Fi whenever we can, so Travel Pass works good for us on VZW.
    The last few trips to Europe, I've opted in to whatever "sale" Verizon has offered for European travel (not the Travel Pass) and use it very carefully relying on Wifi in most instances.

I still am thinking about moving on to one of the more modern plans from Verizon but keep coming back to UNlimited. Which is strange since I very rarely use much data any longer. But my reluctance persists.
    10-03-17 08:43 AM

The last few trips to Europe, I've opted in to whatever "sale" Verizon has offered for European travel (not the Travel Pass) and use it very carefully relying on Wifi in most instances.

I still am thinking about moving on to one of the more modern plans from Verizon but keep coming back to UNlimited. Which is strange since I very rarely use much data any longer. But my reluctance persists.
    Well thank you for your insight. I'm debating whether or not to buy the CDMA version, but I think i'm leaning towards it. And have a great trip! Sounds fun.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-03-17 06:47 PM
    Well thank you for your insight. I'm debating whether or not to buy the CDMA version, but I think i'm leaning towards it. And have a great trip! Sounds fun.
    I'm looking forward to the trip. I've never been to Norway.

And it seems others have been lucky enough to have used the Verizon version outside of the US.
    10-03-17 09:00 PM
    I've used several BlackBerry OS/BB10 phones and now KEYᵒⁿᵉ. All were CDMA phones with GSM capability, so no worry there - you should be fine.

I'm sure some day big red will just give up and go GSM like the rest of the world. I am please (now) with the prompt OS updates from BBM... VZW was always slow to bring updates to users.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-22-17 07:53 AM
    Yesterday I landed in Spain for the first time after buying my CDMA Keyone purchased a month ago. I was happy to receive the text from Verizon saying that my $10 a day Travel Pass has been activated. I received another text today saying the next 24 hours of Travel Pass is activated.

So in Spain, at least, it works. It is also a new sim card, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I am having other problems with the phone here- for one, it keeps failing to authenticate the password to my sister's wifi, even though the password I am using is correct. (It worked on my laptop easily.)
    Also, it someone sends a text that's more than a few words long, I can see the text message on my list of incoming texts, but when I click on it, it doesn't open and it's not in the on-going text conversation with that person. So, not sure why those things are happening, but at least the travel pass works.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-30-17 11:40 AM
    Yesterday I landed in Spain for the first time after buying my CDMA Keyone purchased a month ago. I was happy to receive the text from Verizon saying that my $10 a day Travel Pass has been activated. I received another text today saying the next 24 hours of Travel Pass is activated.

So in Spain, at least, it works. It is also a new sim card, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I am having other problems with the phone here- for one, it keeps failing to authenticate the password to my sister's wifi, even though the password I am using is correct. (It worked on my laptop easily.)
    Also, it someone sends a text that's more than a few words long, I can see the text message on my list of incoming texts, but when I click on it, it doesn't open and it's not in the on-going text conversation with that person. So, not sure why those things are happening, but at least the travel pass works.
    Thanks for the confirmation about cmda and travel pass in Spain.

As for the wifi password, are you sure that you entering letters/numbers correctly and/or symbols? Can you see what you are entering? I mess it up as trying to enter two numbers and forget to hit the alt key sometimes.
    10-30-17 12:47 PM
    Yes, I can see the password as I type it. So I know it's right.
    And as I said, it worked fine on my laptop. It's a mystery! I've emailed Blackberry tech support for help.
    10-30-17 12:55 PM
    Yes, I can see the password as I type it. So I know it's right.
    And as I said, it worked fine on my laptop. It's a mystery! I've emailed Blackberry tech support for help.
    Oh, I just remembered a thread from last week or so.... Is the ssid hidden? I think someone had issues with a hidden one.
    10-30-17 02:03 PM