Hi. I just got the blackberry keyone. I read the other thread on crackberry about Google, android, and blackberry.. from what I understand, android is an open source operating system that you can use on the phone without using any google applications. I'm working towards trying to decontaminate Google from it. I got rid of and disabled all google applications I could find. Now I'm in developer options, and click on running processes... Google Location Services process keeps starting up no matter how many times I end the process, or disable gps. If I lock the mobile, then also a google process shows up related to locking. Also there is a file that keeps showing up on the file system after restarting the phone: com.google.android.gms ... Google is like a virus, how to get rid of it completely. My device information:

Model: BBB100-1
    Android Version: 7.1.1
    Build number: AAR970
    02-20-18 02:10 PM
    Hi. I just got the blackberry keyone. I read the other thread on crackberry about Google, android, and blackberry.. from what I understand, android is an open source operating system that you can use on the phone without using any google applications. I'm working towards trying to decontaminate Google from it. I got rid of and disabled all google applications I could find. Now I'm in developer options, and click on running processes... Google Location Services process keeps starting up no matter how many times I end the process, or disable gps. If I lock the mobile, then also a google process shows up related to locking. Also there is a file that keeps showing up on the file system after restarting the phone: com.google.android.gms ... Google is like a virus, how to get rid of it completely. My device information:

Model: BBB100-1
    Android Version: 7.1.1
    Build number: AAR970
    If you wanted a non-Google device, you would have benefited from a rooted phone.

It's hard to completely extricate yourself, and you would be missing several security features like Play Store (safest repository), Play Protect, anti-theft protection, remote backup, and Find my Device (remote lock and wipe).
    02-20-18 02:22 PM
    Google owns, and builds, Android OS. Everything Android does is ran by some process created and maintained by Google. Unless you completely erase and replace the OS with something else (which you cannot do on a bootloader locked device), you will not be able to completely remove Google.

If you didn't want Google in your life, then you shouldn't have purchased an Android device. Let alone the most locked-down Android device you can buy.
    Bla1ze likes this.
    02-20-18 03:41 PM
    Google is like a virus, how to get rid of it completely
    Easy. You don't.
    02-20-18 03:46 PM
    02-20-18 03:54 PM
    The changes they want to make require root access, which is not possible on this device.
    02-20-18 04:28 PM
    It's a keyone...you can't root.
    02-20-18 04:32 PM
    You can't "decontaminate" something from its creator. Android is a Google product. You can restrict the use of Google Apps and services to a significant extent, but you can't take the Google out of Android any more than you can take the BlackBerry out of BB10 or the Apple out of iOS.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    FF22 likes this.
    02-20-18 04:36 PM
    I have removed a large number of apps including ones that didn't look like they were google branded, and that seemed to do the trick, there are no google processes that are visible. Obviously Android is a google product, but the code is open source, main issue was data tracking/analytics/privacy. The thread suggested by deremi is a good read.
    02-21-18 01:04 PM
    I have removed a large number of apps including ones that didn't look like they were google branded, and that seemed to do the trick, there are no google processes that are visible. Obviously Android is a google product, but the code is open source, main issue was data tracking/analytics/privacy. The thread suggested by deremi is a good read.
    Android is Open Source, but you bought a device pushed through the Android Compatibility Program, it's no longer a fully open source device. It's largely powered by Google Mobile Services, which are not part of the Android Open Source Project. But hey, long as your satisfied with where you ended up.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    02-22-18 09:51 AM
    The only way is to sell the keyone and buy an iphone
    02-24-18 05:21 AM