How did you set up your K1? I can't imagine loosing 26 shortcuts just so I can start typing for a device search. I would assign one key to device search I guess. Plus, reviews said it lags. Every time I'd want to start typing I'd press that key to open device search and then start typing. Wouldn't it be faster like this, or do you have to tap the input field first? I hardly use it on BlackBerry 10 because it lags like hell if the Assistant was closed for a while. Remember how well it worked on the 9900? Aaah, three more weeks!

Posted via CB10
    05-08-17 03:16 AM
    I couldn't even remember 52 different shortcuts, so I kept mine set to launch device search. On my pretty much virgin KeyOne device search isn't as laggy as it has been in some of the review videos, however it clearly isn't as great as it was on the legacy BBOS. Back then, it launched pretty much instantly and without any real lag.
    05-08-17 03:23 AM
    Every time I'd want to start typing I'd press that key to open device search and then start typing. Wouldn't it be faster like this, or do you have to tap the input field first?
    That's how I have it set up on my Priv. Short-press S opens Device Search, and the input field is automatically focused so you can start typing. IMO, there's no point in losing additional 25 shortcuts for search.
    ominaxe likes this.
    05-08-17 03:32 AM
    That's how I have it set up on my Priv. Short-press S opens Device Search, and the input field is automatically focused so you can start typing. IMO, there's no point in losing additional 25 shortcuts for search.
    So that is basically adding one key press to every device search right? Can you start typing immediately during the animation?

Posted via CB10
    05-08-17 03:36 AM
    So that is basically adding one key press to every device search right? Can you start typing immediately during the animation?

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, but TBH I rarely use searching, be it on phones or PCs. Just the way I'm used to doing things, I guess.
    You can start typing during the animation, but it will do you little good It's still better than having any keypress start a search but skipping letters etc. This way at least you know when it's ready to accept input so it leads to less frustration.
    Not sure if they maybe fixed that search a bit on KEYone so that letter skipping is less frequent than on Priv, you'll have to see that for yourself.

I really don't see why don't they include Search as a part of the Launcher instead of it being a different app. I believe that way they could make it a lot faster.
    05-08-17 03:54 AM
    I use device search and instant actions on a regular basis so I've assigned search to the convenience key. It's instant and you can start typing immediately.
    05-08-17 07:03 AM
    That's smart as well if you use it a lot. I used to use it extensively on the 9900, but not so much on BlackBerry 10. With 52 shortcuts on the K1, I think I'll just assign a key to it. For the rare case I'd want to use it.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-17 07:54 AM
    Long press speed dials for contacts, not using every key but at least 10 different speed dials. Short press for certain apps, use about 5, short press for shortcuts like compose and reply when emailing.
    05-08-17 08:21 AM
    I hope at one point these shortcuts will work from anywhere and not just the home screen. The convenience works that way so I don't know why it could not work with the other shortcuts.
    05-08-17 08:25 AM
    I hope at one point these shortcuts will work from anywhere and not just the home screen. The convenience works that way so I don't know why it could not work with the other shortcuts.
    You can set system-wide keyboard shortcuts with this app:
    Buttons remapper (no root) – Android Apps on Google Play
    05-08-17 08:28 AM
    The problem with this is it interferes with in app shortcuts. There would need to be a setting to select which shortcut logic to follow.
    05-08-17 09:01 AM
    Okay, BlackBerry 10 user here but I have been wondering whether I could program a key to unlock the phone when it is locked and the screen is off... I have been using that on my Q10 and Passport like forever... would be really great is this is possible! Anybody know or can try it out?
    05-08-17 02:15 PM
    U+Enter maybe?

Posted via CB10
    05-08-17 02:17 PM
    Not that I can see but just resting your thumb on the scanner unlocks the device. It's faster than any shortcut could ever be.
    05-08-17 02:57 PM
    U+Enter maybe?

Posted via CB10
    Maybe, hopefully figure it out when I get to it

Not that I can see but just resting your thumb on the scanner unlocks the device. It's faster than any shortcut could ever be.
    Yes I have seen it works pretty quickly, however I won't be using that scanner at all. Personal reasons

Posted via CB10
    05-08-17 03:10 PM
    Man, that's not in my system yet. So used to not having a fingerprint sensor, don't know how long it'll take me to do get used to it :lol:

Posted via CB10
    05-08-17 04:39 PM
    How did you set up your K1? I can't imagine loosing 26 shortcuts just so I can start typing for a device search. I would assign one key to device search I guess. Plus, reviews said it lags. Every time I'd want to start typing I'd press that key to open device search and then start typing. Wouldn't it be faster like this, or do you have to tap the input field first? I hardly use it on BlackBerry 10 because it lags like hell if the Assistant was closed for a while. Remember how well it worked on the 9900? Aaah, three more weeks!

Posted via CB10
    You can also set the convenience key to your preferred search (Device Search, Google Voice/Text) this is a quick sure-fire way to get quick search results.
    pkcable likes this.
    05-09-17 10:10 AM
    No perfect answer here! BUT I kinda like BlackBerry Mobile's solution best!
    05-09-17 01:27 PM
    Hmm, can you explain how you use this? Doesn't conflict with normal typing? Does that mean that we could potentially use Nova launcher and program hardware-key shortcuts (which that launcher doesn't support?)
    05-09-17 02:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    Or you could set the convenience key to device search
    05-09-17 03:10 PM
    Convenience key is the fastest way to search and I have beeen using it that way since day one. I use search and instant actions regularly and for some reason, compared to a shortcut the convenience key is instant for search as there is zero delay.
    05-10-17 05:17 AM
    Okay, BlackBerry 10 user here but I have been wondering whether I could program a key to unlock the phone when it is locked and the screen is off... I have been using that on my Q10 and Passport like forever... would be really great is this is possible! Anybody know or can try it out?
    Fingerprint key
    05-12-17 07:57 PM
    Yeah. The android device search history is a good feature. One instant action to contact somebody new. Eg a trainee or friend in town for a week and the shortcut remains until you remove it.

Assigned it as a shortpres u for universal search on my keyone.

Was a swipe gesture on my priv
    05-12-17 08:01 PM
    I'm using longpress for speed dials and short press the same key to text or email the same person. Easier to remember.
    05-12-17 08:03 PM
    Fingerprint key
    Thanks, but I am not going to use that feature.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-17 01:23 AM
26 12