I'm getting excited, as the 31st gets closer and closer, but I'm still a little unclear of one thing...

When I'm setting up all of my email accounts, is it better to do it through the Gmail app, or through the hub? At least one Google account needs to be linked to the phone for play services, correct?

Some people have mentioned that they set everything up through the hub for security purposes and others mention double notifications. Interested to get some clarity on this.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by hoopitz; 05-23-17 at 04:19 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
    05-22-17 11:41 PM
    I moved from a classic to a priv, so my brain, and fingers, automatically went for the hub option to set up applicable accounts, eg email, sms etc

But, I also went to settings, apps, and disabled gmail and other apps I didn't want to either notify me, or use.

You'll find it simple and logical when the time comes (soon 😀 )
    Attached Thumbnails Do I add my accounts through phone setup or through hub?-29172.jpg  
    05-23-17 05:10 AM
    Only use the Hub to setup all your email accounts. I found that the GMail app kept prompting me to use it and I eventually disabled it.

I think the double notifications issue happens when people follow the prompts to use GMail after they've already setup accounts in the Hub.
    05-23-17 08:47 AM
    Will the play store work automatically, if I set everything up through the hub, or will I need to enter some Google credentials the first time I try using it?

Posted via CB10
    05-23-17 10:28 AM
    Will the play store work automatically, if I set everything up through the hub, or will I need to enter some Google credentials the first time I try using it?

Posted via CB10
    You sign into the play store with whatever Google account you have purchased apps with (or want to purchase/manage from).

Set up email by following simple set up of primary email with hub to start. Additional emails are added with a "+ add account" , from the left menu.

Signing into Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Hangouts, What's App..... Apps will automatically add to the hub.

Finally, make sure that Gmail app isn't syncing or you will get duplicates. It's handy to keep updated for some additional functionality, but can be completely disabled if you so choose.
    05-23-17 11:33 AM
    And to further clarify, if you intend on using the Gmail app in concert with Hub (to perform some tasks the hub doesn't manage.....contact history, ext), you can set that up, one by one first. But no matter what, both the hub and GMail app need a sign in of a primary email to access the app itself.

So, if you never are going to use Gmail app. Do everything with Hub, and disable the Gmail app.

If you plan on using both. Set up primary email in Hub and all other non Gmail adrersses. Then set up Gmail addresse(s)in Gmail app. Disable auto sync and push notifications in Gmail app.

Voila. That's it. You then will receive notifications in Hub, be able to perform actions in your Gmail account from the Hub (if you so choose), and can manually update emails in Gmail app if you have a need.
    05-23-17 11:43 AM
    And to further clarify, if you intend on using the Gmail app in concert with Hub (to perform some tasks the hub doesn't manage.....contact history, ext), you can set that up, one by one first. But no matter what, both the hub and GMail app need a sign in of a primary email to access the app itself.

So, if you never are going to use Gmail app. Do everything with Hub, and disable the Gmail app.

If you plan on using both. Set up primary email in Hub and all other non Gmail adrersses. Then set up Gmail addresse(s)in Gmail app. Disable auto sync and push notifications in Gmail app.

Voila. That's it. You then will receive notifications in Hub, be able to perform actions in your Gmail account from the Hub (if you so choose), and can manually update emails in Gmail app if you have a need.
    Thanks, Nathan. Very in-depth. I hope this helps any other members wondering the same thing.

Are there certain actions that I would not be able to perform in the hub alone, if I don't also sign in to the Gmail app?

Through the hub on the K1, is the search function more inclusive than on BB10? I like to archive emails to reduce clutter, but then every once in a while, I'll need to refer back to those emails (which are no longer on my phone). Right now, in that scenario, I just go to Gmail on my BB10 browser so that I can search for those archived emails. Is this the same on the K1, except I would use the Gmail app?

Posted via CB10
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    05-23-17 12:20 PM
    Thanks, Nathan. Very in-depth. I hope this helps any other members wondering the same thing.

Are there certain actions that I would not be able to perform in the hub alone, if I don't also sign in to the Gmail app?

Through the hub on the K1, is the search function more inclusive than on BB10? I like to archive emails to reduce clutter, but then every once in a while, I'll need to refer back to those emails (which are no longer on my phone). Right now, in that scenario, I just go to Gmail on my BB10 browser so that I can search for those archived emails. Is this the same on the K1, except I would use the Gmail app?

Posted via CB10
    Things like contact history and account management tools are better done through the browser than the app anyways. Those are a few things for
    example that Hub can't handle.

The search feature gets the job done for me, but as others have eluded to, isn't quite as polished as in BB10.

Basically the Hub on Android handles 90% of tasks, and the browser can handle the rest.

Just remember to set Hub actions to handle both on device and on server. You should be prompted the first time that you try to archive/delete......if not, it can be found in settings Hub >General settings >Hub and Server.
    Last edited by Nathan Conley; 05-23-17 at 12:45 PM.
    05-23-17 12:34 PM