For most the transition from BB10 to Android was a slow and stubborn experience. I was a BB10 hold out until the launch of the KEYone in June of last year, but I still dual carried my Passport until December of last year. For most the fluidity of BB10 meant that you could get serious work done without the need to worry about fancy customizations and themes. The ability to swipe right to get to the Hub and the clutter-free main screen allowing quick and easy access to the camera, phone, search bar and clock was, for me at least, a productivity dream. When I switched to Android, I missed the simplicity that BB10 offered. Blackberry launcher provided a lot with its implementation of programmable keyboard shortcuts but lacked any other connection to it’s past. This separation of past and present seems, for the most part, bridged thanks to a new launcher being developed by Zinqs LLC. ZINQS Launcher for Blackberry 10 users has been my daily launcher since it’s initial launch in late December and has only gotten better every single update. The developers have developed mostly Windows applications in the past but were eager to support the Blackberry when reached out to by a forum member.

Zinqs Launcher for Blackberry 10 users: Bridging the gap from BB10 to Android-screenshot_20180111-212122.jpg
    Screenshots are taken from my KEYone

Some of the stand out features that this launcher bundles are keyboard shortcuts, the ability to swipe right to view the Hub (This is currently in beta, and Zinqs informed me that this feature is still being worked on), BB10 style quick settings, phone, search and camera shortcuts and lots more. The current forum thread about the launcher can be found here, and the launcher can be found from the Google Play Store here. The developers are active daily and are always looking for ways to improve the launcher to make it even closer to its BB10 roots.

Zinqs Launcher for Blackberry 10 users: Bridging the gap from BB10 to Android-img_20180111_212921.jpg
    My trusty Passport

For users coming from a launcher such as Microsoft Launcher or Nova launcher, you may be initially underwhelmed. The settings screen may feel lacking, and the inability to utilize double tap to sleep, or gestures to pull up applications may seem like a huge step backward. This launcher isn’t built to compete with the feature-packed launchers, but rather to appeal to those who enjoyed the simplicity and appearance of BB10.

When you first install the launcher, you will need to give it permissions to use widgets which is used to place the Hub widget within the launcher. For now, you can enable the secondary widget screen before the Hub, use Blackberry Device Search, and use either the BB10 10.1 or BB10.3 theme. You can change the app layout from 4x4 to 8x8 grid allowing for use on both phones and tablets.

Zinqs Launcher for Blackberry 10 users: Bridging the gap from BB10 to Android-screenshot_20180111-221522.jpg
    Screenshots are taken from my Priv

Zinqs LLC has managed to create a launcher for BB10 fans within four weeks, and it is better every day. For those who want to use a modern device but is the experience of BB10 then this launcher may be for you. It is still a work in progress, but it is by far the best option for those who wish to relive their Blackberry past. The ability to use Keyboard shortcuts, Swype to the Hub, and a BB10 skin makes this launcher one app that you should keep an eye on. It is available for free from the PlayStore. The first 24 hours allows the user to play around with the launcher, and after that, it is USD 4.99 or USD 3.49 a year.

The support thread can be found here. Just make sure you change your wallpaper from the stock one to one of your own. It has been reported that the stock wallpaper can sometimes cause lag in some devices.

Let me know what you think of this launcher in the comments.
    01-15-18 04:25 PM
    there's been a lot of changes since posting this two days ago. I suggest checking out the main thread
    01-18-18 02:51 PM
    Great review. Kudos to @Zinqs LLC for the job they are doing. And the way they are using the community feedback to improve the launcher is amazing.

I guess that debunks the argument we have been hearing for the past couple of years about the gigantic amount of developers that are needed to build something decent...
    01-18-18 02:57 PM
    Great review. Kudos to @Zinqs LLC for the job they are doing. And the way they are using the community feedback to improve the launcher is amazing.

I guess that debunks the argument we have been hearing for the past couple of years about the gigantic amount of developers that are needed to build something decent...
    Absolutely! 'Android Limitations', 'Material Design Restrictions' should I continue?

When there is a will, there is way!
    01-18-18 03:26 PM

I am one of those who has been saying that large numbers of developers are needed.
    This is a launcher. I assume that it's basically sitting on top of Android, in a similar fashion to which a Unix shell sits on top of native Unix.

I have been talking about porting the ENTIRE BB10 to a new device, or ripping out the old ART (Android Run Time) and moving to a more recent version of Android.

Entirely different levels of effort.
    01-18-18 04:37 PM

Many of the issues BB faces are legal like phone certification with Google and IP: There are many apps in the Playstore that alter UI that would never get approved if shipped as a system app in a phone. Bet an IP lawyer would shut down Zinq quick if they had money at stake. BB has a big bank acct so has to proceed cautiously just like any corporate entity. Same with Google with their own apps and OS releases.

Kudos to Zinq with their project, but they aren't working under the same circumstances as BB and its facetious to equate their development cycle or capabilities.
    01-18-18 04:47 PM

You just need couple of smart developers to build even a complicated enterprise product. At ZINQS we work with passionate devs who are the best of the best in market. IMO BB10 launcher can be done by 2 smart devs in 2 months time 100% functionality. If you hear otherwise, its a Lie - Shakir.
    Last edited by Zinqs LLC; 01-18-18 at 05:37 PM.
    01-18-18 05:24 PM
    Let me know what you think of this launcher in the comments.
    Thanks for the review. Our team is very encouraged - Shakir
    IvanTheTolerable likes this.
    01-18-18 05:26 PM
    Awesome contribution, Zing folks. All things BB10 are always welcome.

Welcome additions steeling from a good belief. I too believe. Make it happen.
    01-18-18 05:33 PM
    Will try a later build perhaps when things are more ironed out. tried it last week and can't get the hang of it.
    01-18-18 05:55 PM
    I am one of those who has been saying that large numbers of developers are needed.
    This is a launcher. I assume that it's basically sitting on top of Android, in a similar fashion to which a Unix shell sits on top of native Unix.

I have been talking about porting the ENTIRE BB10 to a new device, or ripping out the old ART (Android Run Time) and moving to a more recent version of Android.

Entirely different levels of effort.
    Hi glwerry, Based on what you described, My estimation is say we can get first beta out approximately in 3 months. I would need 3 devs and 1 Test. I have done very complicated projects in the past. It comes down to execution and technical expertise - Shakir
    01-18-18 06:29 PM
    [QUOTE=deremi;13120276]Will try a later build perhaps when things are more ironed out. tried it last week and can't get the hang of it.[/QUOTE @deremi, while we have you here, can you please shed some light as to how you were able to get widgets into your Productivity Tab as shown in post # 37 of this thread:
    /blackberry-keyone-f445/blackberry-launcher-vs-rest-launcher-do-you-use-why-u-addicted-1133297/

Sorry for hijacking the subject....some members are really curious as no one seem to have this functionality on their devices.
    01-18-18 06:29 PM
    [QUOTE=RK_BB;13120304]
    Will try a later build perhaps when things are more ironed out. tried it last week and can't get the hang of it.[/QUOTE @deremi, while we have you here, can you please shed some light as to how you were able to get widgets into your Productivity Tab as shown in post # 37 of this thread:
    /blackberry-keyone-f445/blackberry-launcher-vs-rest-launcher-do-you-use-why-u-addicted-1133297/

Sorry for hijacking the subject....some members are really curious as no one seem to have this functionality on their devices.
    Pm'ed.
    01-18-18 06:34 PM
    Hi glwerry, Based on what you described, My estimation is say we can get first beta out approximately in 3 months. I would need 3 devs and 1 Test. I have done very complicated projects in the past. It comes down to execution and technical expertise - Shakir
    I would, frankly, be blown away to see that happen.
    01-19-18 08:25 AM
    Honestly, maybe it's just me, but for somethings like a launcher and email client, I would always go for the built in version. I use my phone for work, and I don't want to spend time ironing out bugs, etc when it comes to basic functions.

That said, good work by Zing and crew. Its a pity BlackBerry couldn't take this on as a project and give us a better phone experience!
    01-19-18 10:05 AM
    Who argued that, and who defines decent?

Kudos to the developer for doing this (and I hope he recoups his investment - and then some), but the target base is pretty small. I'm coming from BB10 too, but personally prefer a more stock experience.
    01-19-18 10:50 AM
    Who argued that, and who defines decent?

Kudos to the developer for doing this (and I hope he recoups his investment - and then some), but the target base is pretty small. I'm coming from BB10 too, but personally prefer a more stock experience.
    Would you then prefer that your stock experience flow better? If the answer to my question is Yes then you as well would prefer BlackBerry to build a better UX with Always On Hub, message peeking accessible from every page. Wouldn't you?

Sure, skinning take a toll on the OS and require more resources but there are plenty of phones out there that provide a vanila Android experience for which one need to click their life away or surgically extend their thumb to pull down the notification only to open an email....

Point of my post is that when people say 'Android Limitations', 'Material Design Restrictions' they simply try to find a fancy way to win their arguments.....its possible to give people what they want using Android, BlackBerry don't want to and that's nothing but a business decision given their BB10 experience and not anything that is otherwise technically impossible.
    IvanTheTolerable likes this.
    01-19-18 11:20 AM
    ....its possible to give people what they want using Android, BlackBerry don't want to and that's nothing but a business decision given their BB10 experience and not anything that is otherwise technically impossible.
    You say that as if you know what "most" people "want".

Anyways, it was a single comment. No need to continue and totally derail the thread.
    01-19-18 11:23 AM
    You say that as if you know what most people "want".
    I think I have a pretty good feel for that given the popularity and the interest in the thread Zach Brown created for this launcher combined with my experience here in the past year or so.

Every time I look at the forum this thread has few more evetries and it keeps growing.

Most discussions I see are of people asking BlackBerry to improve all kinds of things, most of which are related to UX.

May I please ask, do you know what people want? As I stated above, I think I do and I am interested to know if you have any knowledge of that?

Note: this is not a confrontational argument, rather a constructive one, at least from my point of view
    01-19-18 11:28 AM

May I please ask, do you know what people want? As I stated above, I think I do and I am interested to know if you have any knowledge of that?
    But I never made the claim that I know what people want.

I just don't accept that the opinion of a few dozen, or even a few hundred, former BB10 users should be held as the defacto view of what's best for the general target market.

It's very nice that this launcher is available for those looking for something else, but there is no reason to believe that these features would have significantly increased sales of the BlackBerry Android suite.

BlackBerry's job was to bridge the gap between "good enough for former BB10 users" to "minimal learning curve for existing Android users".
    rolfep likes this.
    01-19-18 11:43 AM
    But I never made the claim that I know what people want.

I just don't accept that the opinion of a few dozen, or even a few hundred, former BB10 users should be held as the defacto view of what's best for the general target market.

It's very nice that this launcher is available for those looking for something else, but there is no reason to believe that these features would have significantly increased sales of the BlackBerry Android suite.

BlackBerry's job was to bridge the gap between "good enough for former BB10 users" to "minimal learning curve for existing Android users".
    I never said you claimed to have known what people want and therefore my question.

IMO creating a better UX (it doesn't have to totally mock B10, it only needs to provide a better flow) will further set BlackBerry apart from a sea of slabs that basically compete for the same thing while providing give or take the same experience.

This approach can majorly help BlackBerry to push their slab aspirations (Motion) further since they would have features that are otherwise not available in other phones.

That said, the above is just a philosophy and how I would approach the matter. It doesn't mean that sales will soar but at the very least I will have a product that no else offer.
    01-19-18 11:53 AM
    I never said you claimed to have known what people want and therefore my question.

IMO creating a better UX (it doesn't have to totally mock B10, it only needs to provide a better flow) will further set BlackBerry apart from a sea of slabs that basically compete for the same thing while providing give or take the same experience.

This approach can majorly help BlackBerry to push their slab aspirations (Motion) further since they would have features that are otherwise not available in other phones.

That said, the above is just a philosophy and how I would approach the matter. It doesn't mean that sales will soar but at the very least I will have a product that no else offer.
    I would suspect you would lose more sales from confused Android users than you would gain from incrementally happier former-BB10 users.

It's all about ROI.

BlackBerry does not have any hardware aspirations. They just want to sell their suite and collect some licencing revenues.

But, none of this says there may not be a place for an independent developer to come up with a niche solution for folks like you. His sales will be the ultimate indication of this alleged demand you tout.
    01-19-18 11:57 AM
    I would suspect you would lose more sales from confused Android users than you would gain from incrementally happier former-BB10 users.

It's all about ROI.
    If it won't be properly marketed then you are absolutely on point. It's either you carve your niche (by spending marketing $$$) or you compete in an already exisitng playing field.

I believe that if properly marketed a niche will be carved from which BlackBerry will have a dedicated repeat bunch of customers that will slowly grow and remain solid.

Indeed, all about ROI (which is my name by the way...not kidding).
    01-19-18 12:04 PM
    If it won't be properly marketed then you are absolutely on point. It's either you carve your niche (by spending marketing $$$) or you compete in an already exisitng playing field.

I believe that if properly marketed a niche will be carved from which BlackBerry will have a dedicated repeat bunch of customers that will slowly grow and remain solid.

Indeed, all about ROI (which is my name by the way...not kidding).
    BlackBerry's interest in devices is marginal - at best. They won't be marketing anything there.

They have much bigger fish to fry.

Let's see what Zinq's sales are before we discuss this any further.
    01-19-18 12:06 PM
    Never confuse nostalgic compliments and reminiscing for actual demand which is measured by actual purchases and not just posted comments and the infamous "like" button.

As of last night, for all the excitement about this developer and product, from the millions of supposed BB10 faithful, actual paid downloads were less than 60 total. Only 2 were subscriptions and the rest were single time purchases.

If the developer is lucky, they'll break $300 in sales today and maybe hit $500 by month end. Perhaps, more revenue is coming from a rumored BB10 autoloader that could be PURCHASED and INSTALLED by the millions of BB10 users that can't stand Android/IOS.

LOL
    rolfep likes this.
    01-19-18 12:11 PM
101 123 ...