For those who have bought or are considering buying, are you concerned about the phone getting updates from At&t? It seems they stop giving updates after about a year on many phones even if the manufacturer still sends them out to those who buy unlocked.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    09-04-17 11:39 AM
    Asking bc I'm considering buying the black one.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-17 11:42 AM
    I use the phone on ATT, i get my updates same time as everyone else. DTEK 50 did too. My Z10 did too.
    09-04-17 12:04 PM
    I think AT&T has been very good with most updates since 2nd half of 2016.
    09-04-17 05:02 PM
    I should clarify, I mean the AT&T branded Keyone device. Not buying unlocked and using on AT&T.
    09-04-17 06:04 PM
    Not that there is a direct answer here but this thread would be good to follow and read:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...-room-1121667/
    09-04-17 07:55 PM
    For those who have bought or are considering buying, are you concerned about the phone getting updates from At&t? It seems they stop giving updates after about a year on many phones even if the manufacturer still sends them out to those who buy unlocked.

Posted via CB10
    Thus far, the only problem I have encountered using a non-branded K1 on the AT&T network is sub-par call quality. This is not a flaw with the K1, but rather, the inability of AT&T to allow the K1 to use a better signal for calls (no LTE for calls... so no "AT&T HD Voice").
    09-05-17 11:06 AM
    If you follow the waiting room thread the HD voice has been confirmed working on the AT&T branded version. The only question is how quickly will security patches and major upgrades will come (if at all) to the AT&T KEYone.
    anon(8679041) and jfalkingham like this.
    09-05-17 03:18 PM
    it's a good question. when they had the priv, they eventually made it so the updates were coming from blackberry because so many unlocked att models were being sold online and you could only get the updates with att service.
    09-05-17 07:17 PM
    For security updates it should be fine.
    jfalkingham likes this.
    09-05-17 09:40 PM
    You really can only go by what they've done with the Priv, and some of their other android phones. They've been good about keeping the Priv updated. I think they only missed a few months since release, and when they do release a security update the month of release, it was usually only a week is so after everyone else.
    09-05-17 09:53 PM
    it's a good question. when they had the priv, they eventually made it so the updates were coming from blackberry because so many unlocked att models were being sold online and you could only get the updates with att service.
    Only some of the AT&T branded Privs are getting updates direct from BB, with some exceptions the Privs purchased from AT&T under any sort of contract or subsidy are still receiving updates only from AT&T, when and if AT&T chooses to release them.
    Also note that AT&T will not allow any advanced LTE features on a phone not purchased directly from them.
    I don't have a K1 nor do I intend to buy one, but I would never again buy from a carrier, they are all iffy about updates. AT&T has been fairly good, mid '16 to present. But their handling of updates earlier is in large part the cause of the Priv doing so poorly.
    And keep in mind, once BB releases an OS update, there will be no further security updates for the older OS. So if carrier draggs their feet on OS update, which often happens, you will not get security updates either.
    citystars41 and FF22 like this.
    09-06-17 08:36 AM
    Well, what happened was AT&T dumped a large portion of their unsold inventory into the world at large - with unlock codes to work outside of AT&T's network. The problem was they were still branded as AT&T phones and we're locked out of getting updates since they weren't running on the AT&T network. BlackBerry worked with AT&T on way to open up those phones to get direct updates from BlackBerry.

All AT&T branded and locked Privs sporting an AT&T SIM still rely on AT&T for updates.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-06-17 09:15 AM
    If you follow the waiting room thread the HD voice has been confirmed working on the AT&T branded version. The only question is how quickly will security patches and major upgrades will come (if at all) to the AT&T KEYone.
    Well, I guess that's great for those who will be receiving an ATT branded K1, but that doesn't help those of us don't have an ATT K1.
    09-06-17 09:52 AM
    Well, I guess that's great for those who will be receiving an ATT branded K1, but that doesn't help those of us don't have an ATT K1.
    Yep. But at least you get updates quickly.

Win some and lose some.
    09-06-17 10:08 AM
    I think that all the carriers have been improving their management of patches generally over the past few years, though there are problems with some individual patches. But if updates are a top priority, unlocked is a better choice.

As Android patching has become a normal function, carriers have had to adapt. Version upgrades might be handled differently. If getting Oreo quickly is a priority, I suggest buying an unlocked variant. Personally, I prefer the lower price and free financing of the AT&T KEYone to getting the quickest update patches and upgrades.

I look at my phone as a business expense, and I can't put a financial value on faster patching, so I won't pay for it.

I just wish the carriers would get out of the business of pushing updates / upgrades altogether.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-06-17 10:15 AM
    Yep. But at least you get updates quickly.

Win some and lose some.
    I guess that's easy to say when you're having no problems hearing the person on the other end, but as it currently stands, the call quality sucks.
    09-06-17 10:34 AM
    I guess that's easy to say when you're having no problems hearing the person on the other end, but as it currently stands, the call quality sucks.
    Maybe time to switch carriers? AT&T is taking your money but providing inadequate service.

09-06-17 10:37 AM
    Maybe time to switch carriers? AT&T is taking your money but providing inadequate service.

The only option I have in the same price range is TMobile... and that works great... until I drive 20 miles outside of town and I have NO signal. So... terrible call quality beats no call quality. Not to mention I can stream my DirectTV Now without it going against my data plan.
    09-06-17 10:40 AM
    The only option I have in the same price range is TMobile... and that works great... until I drive 20 miles outside of town and I have NO signal. So... terrible call quality beats no call quality. Not to mention I can stream my DirectTV Now without it going against my data plan.
    What's greater terrible call quality or timely updates?
    09-06-17 10:50 AM
    Well, what happened was AT&T dumped a large portion of their unsold inventory into the world at large
    And the reason they dumped all those phones was because of THEIR failure to update.
    When released, AT&T was the exclusive carrier, and the phone had serious software problems, texting and emails simply didn't work 3/4 of the time. BlackBerry released an update within days that fixed it. AT&T refused to implement the update for weeks, resulting in almost every AT&T Priv being returned. AT&T blamed BB, not mentioning that there was a fix that AT&T was refusing to release.
    So, though AT&T has been pretty good with updates lately, they have an abysmal history of doing so. Bad enough that they had tons of stock that they couldn't sell, and , as always, blamed BB.
    And lets not forget the 'AT&T - no service' fiasco. Every Priv worked fine except the AT&T branded ones. A Factory Unlocked Priv worked fine on AT&T's system, but an AT&T priv, wouldn't work on AT&T's network. So not only are you dependent on the carrier for updates, but you get a 'special OS', loaded with the carriers bloat and spyware.
    Buying a carrier phone in this day and age is just a really bad idea.
    And it's not as if they are any cheaper, the carrier is just financing the device at an undisclosed interest and profit level.
    And what if you pay off the phone and want to change network? Yeah the law says the carrier has to unlock it, but you won't get anymore updates.
    09-07-17 07:22 AM
    Thus far, the only problem I have encountered using a non-branded K1 on the AT&T network is sub-par call quality. This is not a flaw with the K1, but rather, the inability of AT&T to allow the K1 to use a better signal for calls (no LTE for calls... so no "AT&T HD Voice").
    Oh that's a **** move. HD Voice is a service not a device dependent, all phones have it. Carriers are still the cancer in US mobile phone industry. Let's not even mention Verizon.
    Wezard likes this.
    09-07-17 07:41 AM
    And the reason they dumped all those phones was because of THEIR failure to update.
    When released, AT&T was the exclusive carrier, and the phone had serious software problems, texting and emails simply didn't work 3/4 of the time. BlackBerry released an update within days that fixed it. AT&T refused to implement the update for weeks, resulting in almost every AT&T Priv being returned. AT&T blamed BB, not mentioning that there was a fix that AT&T was refusing to release.
    So, though AT&T has been pretty good with updates lately, they have an abysmal history of doing so. Bad enough that they had tons of stock that they couldn't sell, and , as always, blamed BB.
    And lets not forget the 'AT&T - no service' fiasco. Every Priv worked fine except the AT&T branded ones. A Factory Unlocked Priv worked fine on AT&T's system, but an AT&T priv, wouldn't work on AT&T's network. So not only are you dependent on the carrier for updates, but you get a 'special OS', loaded with the carriers bloat and spyware.
    Buying a carrier phone in this day and age is just a really bad idea.
    And it's not as if they are any cheaper, the carrier is just financing the device at an undisclosed interest and profit level.
    And what if you pay off the phone and want to change network? Yeah the law says the carrier has to unlock it, but you won't get anymore updates.
    Upon first reading your comments, I thought, "Wait a min, my AT&T Priv worked just fine on the AT&T network." Then it occurred to me - yes, I used to get the "No service" issue all the time! I had always assumed it was because I dropped my Priv a time or two and damaged something internally. I had no idea it was a notorious problem on AT&T. I also remember the horrible email/texting problem in the early stages.

Carriers are evil.
    Wezard likes this.
    09-07-17 07:51 AM
    I don't really disagree with much of what you said. AT&T has been abysmal about OS updates long before the Priv. And, even their new-found tendency to actually try to to, somewhat, keep up is still yet to be trusted.

I don't remember the initial AT&T Priv issues you speak of. I don't have one, but I tried to at least keep up on the device early on as I was considering getting one. I do remember the "no- service" problem. At that time, Priv owners were swapping out phones only to find the problem persisted. The big follow-up problem there was this was after AT&T depleted their stock in the "great inventory dump of 2016". They quickly ran out of replacements before the fix was implemented - which was strictly software related.

These days AT&T is making pretty much all their money on service and data fees. Regardless of whether the device is bought from them, financed from them, or bought somewhere else and brought to them.
    09-07-17 08:57 AM
    No, I'm not concerned as this isn't my first rodeo with an ATT-branded Blackberry. My Classic was through ATT, and I didn't have any issues. Yes, ATT was MUCH slower than BB with updates, so I expect the same with their KEYone.
    09-07-17 01:09 PM
32 12