After being a loyal Bold user for many many years, I am excited to hear about the KEYone.

I am in the states and my carrier is Sprint. (I know, many people on this site hate Sprint) I am told that only GSM devises are available through Blackberry and the carrier that will obtain the device is AT&T which is also GSM.

Those of you that have a CDMA carrier, how do you plan to purchase and use the device without changing carriers?

I saw somewhere that CDMA is listed with the KEYone but since Sprint is divorced from BB, it will not be offered through them and, I think, if Verizon obtains it, their CDMA is different than Sprint and it won't work. Sprint users - what do we do?!
    Kaizerin likes this.
    03-11-17 10:56 AM
    This is a new Era. You most likely will be able to buy the "US V2" KEYone direct for blackberry mobile that will work on sprint.
    The trend of BYOD is increasing in popularity in the states and it looks like BlackBerry mobile is there to offer cdma phones
    03-11-17 11:34 AM
    Sprint will have to change gears and get on the BYOD policy like the other carriers.
    03-11-17 03:25 PM
    Sprint will have to change gears and get on the BYOD policy like the other carriers.
    They do have a BYOD process but it's restricted to mostly the iPhone and some newer Androids.

https://www.sprint.com/en/landings/b...own-phone.html
    03-11-17 03:37 PM
    After being a loyal Bold user for many many years, I am excited to hear about the KEYone.

I am in the states and my carrier is Sprint. (I know, many people on this site hate Sprint) I am told that only GSM devises are available through Blackberry and the carrier that will obtain the device is AT&T which is also GSM.

Those of you that have a CDMA carrier, how do you plan to purchase and use the device without changing carriers?

I saw somewhere that CDMA is listed with the KEYone but since Sprint is divorced from BB, it will not be offered through them and, I think, if Verizon obtains it, their CDMA is different than Sprint and it won't work. Sprint users - what do we do?!
    It's simple. Switch carriers. These carriers now make it way to easy to switch.
    03-11-17 08:36 PM
    I found the answer to my own question:

"A few words about compatibility in the U.S. TCL has two versions of the phone on deck for North America. The Canadian and V1 U.S. model supports LTE Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 19, 20, 28, 29, 30 and TDD-LTE:38, 39, 40, 41. The V2 U.S. model supports LTE Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30; TDD-LTE 41; and CDMA 0, 1, and 10. Both versions will work on AT&T and T-Mobile, while the latter will be better suited to Sprint and Verizon Wireless." (looks like Ummie4 was spot on)

This was found under Hands On with the BlackBerry KEYone (Phone Scoop) I hope it is accurate - would enjoy the new phone with less hassle if I can use it with my current Sprint service.
    03-12-17 08:18 PM

"A few words about compatibility in the U.S. TCL has two versions of the phone on deck for North America. The Canadian and V1 U.S. model supports LTE Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 19, 20, 28, 29, 30 and TDD-LTE:38, 39, 40, 41. The V2 U.S. model supports LTE Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30; TDD-LTE 41; and CDMA 0, 1, and 10. Both versions will work on AT&T and T-Mobile, while the latter will be better suited to Sprint and Verizon Wireless." (looks like Ummie4 was spot on)

This was found under Hands On with the BlackBerry KEYone (Phone Scoop) I hope it is accurate - would enjoy the new phone with less hassle if I can use it with my current Sprint service.
    I think that band list was briefly spotted on the official website, until it got pulled. There's a screenshot floating around these forums.
    03-12-17 08:35 PM
    From the official Keyone website
    Attached Thumbnails Yeah for BB!  KEYone CDMA (Sprint and Verizon) and GSM (AT&T)-screenshot_20170312-214321.jpg  
    03-12-17 08:46 PM
    If only American carriers had VoLTE, or even better, all went GSM in the 1990s/2000s. Then any carrier could be BYOD, and there'd be none of this Verizon/Sprint variant nonsense.
    Arabianhorse likes this.
    03-12-17 09:47 PM
    If only American carriers had VoLTE, or even better, all went GSM in the 1990s/2000s. Then any carrier could be BYOD, and there'd be none of this Verizon/Sprint variant nonsense.
    Yeah but it's not the problem with EV-DO, but how they implemented it with whitelists. EV-DO has R-UIMs as well and China Telecom uses them, and you can switch phones all you want.

What I am worried about now is all this talk about eSIM and soldering the subscriber module back onto the phone. Hopefully it's just for IoT, otherwise it throws us right back to the stone age.
    03-12-17 10:23 PM

You could have found the answer here too.

I believe the article quoted them wrong. BlackBerry was specific with me Saturday, that it will be available on all major US carriers, not from. Obviously, they are trying hard to turn that into a from.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...thing-1101510/

I was told by Bruce Walpole himself, the KEYone CDMA variant will be available at launch, and work under Verizon's BYOD plan.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-room-1101167/
    03-13-17 07:19 AM
    There are already threads about this.
    03-13-17 09:37 AM
    American carriers do have VoLTE.
    03-13-17 08:26 PM
    Anyone definitively know if the KEYone will be available for use on the Sprint network at launch? I see threads about Verizon but none about Sprint, Thank you.
    03-14-17 09:57 PM
    03-14-17 10:54 PM
    I am so on this if US Cellular can make it work on my prepaid account. Anyone happen to know the technical intricacies of that? I know US Cellular doesn't offer every phone to their prepaid customers, but I'd hate to have to change plans, because $45 a month unlimited everything is pretty sweet (I have run my current phone as a wireless hotspot a full month in the past, so pretty sure it's unlimited data on my plan). Other carriers here also have terrible coverage, and are expensive.
    03-17-17 02:30 AM
    I am so on this if US Cellular can make it work on my prepaid account. Anyone happen to know the technical intricacies of that? I know US Cellular doesn't offer every phone to their prepaid customers, but I'd hate to have to change plans, because $45 a month unlimited everything is pretty sweet (I have run my current phone as a wireless hotspot a full month in the past, so pretty sure it's unlimited data on my plan). Other carriers here also have terrible coverage, and are expensive.
    This is exactly why I don't so payment plans on phones, my plan is too awesome
    03-17-17 02:31 AM
    Yeah, I'm honestly not sure why they give prepaid customer such better deals, but it's clear they do. US Celluar in general seems much more reasonable on rates. In comparison, Verizon service that is comparable here is like $80 a month, and AT&T is like $57, and those are most definitely not unlimited. I've never had a contract account, never used a payment plan for a phone, I'm not dealing with bureaucracy. Here's my money, give me service, done.
    03-19-17 07:21 PM
    Yeah, I'm honestly not sure why they give prepaid customer such better deals, but it's clear they do. US Celluar in general seems much more reasonable on rates. In comparison, Verizon service that is comparable here is like $80 a month, and AT&T is like $57, and those are most definitely not unlimited. I've never had a contract account, never used a payment plan for a phone, I'm not dealing with bureaucracy. Here's my money, give me service, done.
    The phones generally cost more than what the customer "pays" for it on a plan, so they pay for it in the plan. BYOD removes that cost.
    03-19-17 08:00 PM
    Does this mean there is no hope for those with T-Mobile?? :/ I was hoping they would carry the phone..
    03-19-17 08:01 PM
    Does this mean there is no hope for those with T-Mobile?? :/ I was hoping they would carry the phone..
    You'll most likely need to buy one and BYOD. No one knows for sure yet though. If I were you, I'd think about holding off pre-ordering, and pester the heck out of T-Mo. That said, isn't T-Mo making you buy retail anyway?
    03-19-17 08:37 PM
    The phones generally cost more than what the customer "pays" for it on a plan, so they pay for it in the plan. BYOD removes that cost.
    Ah, I hadn't considered that those companies were assuming most customers would choose to finance a phone via a plan and they were losing money on the phone so making up the difference by raising the plan cost. Interesting.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-19-17 08:38 PM
    You'll most likely need to buy one and BYOD. No one knows for sure yet though. If I were you, I'd think about holding off pre-ordering, and pester the heck out of T-Mo. That said, isn't T-Mo making you buy retail anyway?
    Thanks for the reply! Yeah.. T-Mo is making you buy retail but instead of paying it off all at once, it is a set amount of payments every month. If that is what you're referring to. I've never brought an "unlocked" device to my cell phone carrier before so I would be very new to the process but that does not mean I can't learn how it works. Just think it would be easier if they just announced if they would or would not carry it. I think you're right on waiting though! Just might be something I'll have to do. They did have the Classic for a little bit... Maybe they will do the same with the KeyOne.. Hoping for some positive news soon! In a need for an upgrade!
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-19-17 09:04 PM
    So does the fact that the keyone is being released in the US with CDMA mean that I (as a Verizon costomer) will be able to use it ?
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    04-27-17 07:16 AM
    They don't get priority on their networks when they become congested.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-27-17 09:14 AM
29 12