I would really be disappointed - today's we depend a lot on updates, for security specially but also performance and features - BUT most of, if they said they will and then they don't - that's dishonest, basically liaring ... which upsets me if done in person or by companies ... !!! out-integrity-conduct ...and I am bit shattered by many of you guys just kind of would accept this, but also why the heck is this post here - they have said so and we should not expect any less to happen, why question???
    My attitude is that the only reason they would not update to Oreo is if they give up on the business. Because they announced they would provide the upgrade, they would ruin their reputation if they don't. In that case, I would also be very disappointed, but that was obviously one of the possibilities I considered when buying the first product from a smaller company.

After all, it's not a lie to promise something and not do it unless you know at the time you make the promise that you're not going to do it. It IS a failure to meet a commitment, however, and breaking a promise is serious enough to prevent future purchases, even if it isn't the same as lying.

When BlackBerry Mobile said that the KEYone would get Oreo, I took that to mean that upgrading the KEYone to Oreo was there current plan. But it's not a legally binding commitment. They are entitled to break their promise. However, I think we all understand that they would lose so much food will doing that that they would hamstring future sales opportunities.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    12-05-17 01:58 PM
    I would really be disappointed - today's we depend a lot on updates, for security specially but also performance and features - BUT most of, if they said they will and then they don't - that's dishonest, basically liaring ... which upsets me if done in person or by companies ... !!! out-integrity-conduct ...and I am bit shattered by many of you guys just kind of would accept this, but also why the heck is this post here - they have said so and we should not expect any less to happen, why question???
    Accept it.... can't be a BlackBerry fan unless you can accept that BlackBerry tends to not be in the position to deliver on what they "promise". And will in fact say things to lead users to believe what they can't deliver.

STORM - PLAYBOOK - Z10 (BB10 in general)

Not saying it will happen, just that if it does.... it won't be BlackBerry Ltd. fault and really won't be BBMo fault, it will be a shock to both and a result of someone at TCL just pulling the plug. So in the end no one lied.
    12-05-17 02:01 PM
    Accept it.... can't be a BlackBerry fan unless you can accept that BlackBerry tends to not be in the position to deliver on what they "promise". And will in fact say things to lead users to believe what they can't deliver.

STORM - PLAYBOOK - Z10 (BB10 in general)

Not saying it will happen, just that if it does.... it won't be BlackBerry Ltd. fault and really won't be BBMo fault, it will be a shock to both and a result of someone at TCL just pulling the plug. So in the end no one lied.
    I don't know, if they said, that there will be Oreo on K1, but if they did say - they have a responsibility to make it happen - and if they then don't they are in a way lying or having an unhonest handling of their business matters (which will shoot back at them) - I do not agree, that we have or should accept this at all - I am a Blackberry user since July 2015 and became a fan too and have not been disappointed yet and also do not at all think, that I will prepare for getting ... ;-)
    You get what you put into and expect ...and if we as a group community are already preparing for getting let down - we're looking into the wrong direction ... past is past and BB has now started a new era, so let's expect and therewith also demand they do what they say and promise
    12-05-17 02:34 PM
    My attitude is that the only reason they would not update to Oreo is if they give up on the business. Because they announced they would provide the upgrade, they would ruin their reputation if they don't. In that case, I would also be very disappointed, but that was obviously one of the possibilities I considered when buying the first product from a smaller company.

After all, it's not a lie to promise something and not do it unless you know at the time you make the promise that you're not going to do it. It IS a failure to meet a commitment, however, and breaking a promise is serious enough to prevent future purchases, even if it isn't the same as lying.

When BlackBerry Mobile said that the KEYone would get Oreo, I took that to mean that upgrading the KEYone to Oreo was there current plan. But it's not a legally binding commitment. They are entitled to break their promise. However, I think we all understand that they would lose so much food will doing that that they would hamstring future sales opportunities.

Exactly - if they go out of business, that would be bad luck for all of us, but a kind of thing we would or could understand - but we do not expect that to happen, right? ... let's stay focussed into positives and expect that we get, whatever has been said ...
    12-05-17 02:44 PM
    As someone new to Android BlackBerry devices, I wouldn't care too much after coming from BB10! We all know what updates were like there these past few years.

I have noticed though that Android updates are far less so important than what happens on iOS with developers always seeming to target the new features which are often tied to new hardware too.

So in short, no. Not worried.
    12-05-17 02:50 PM
    I don't know, if they said, that there will be Oreo on K1, but if they did say - they have a responsibility to make it happen - and if they then don't they are in a way lying or having an unhonest handling of their business matters (which will shoot back at them) - I do not agree, that we have or should accept this at all - I am a Blackberry user since July 2015 and became a fan too and have not been disappointed yet and also do not at all think, that I will prepare for getting ... ;-)
    You get what you put into and expect ...and if we as a group community are already preparing for getting let down - we're looking into the wrong direction ... past is past and BB has now started a new era, so let's expect and therewith also demand they do what they say and promise
    I think we all agree that they should do what they said they would, and that, if they don't, it will be a betrayal of trust. But that's not lying.

Lying requires intentional deception, while breaking a promise just requires failure to do what was promised.

If I promise to take my kid to the zoo on Saturday, and I really intend to do it, but then my boss tells me I have to work on Saturday so that I beak my promise, my kid may be mad about me breaking a promise, and he may not trust me the next time I promise him something, but it doesn't mean I lied.

FF22 likes this.
    12-05-17 03:04 PM
    I think we all agree that they should do what they said they would, and that, if they don't, it will be a betrayal of trust. But that's not lying.

Lying requires intentional deception, while breaking a promise just requires failure to do what was promised.

If I promise to take my kid to the zoo on Saturday, and I really intend to do it, but then my boss tells me I have to work on Saturday so that I beak my promise, my kid may be mad about me breaking a promise, and he may not trust me the next time I promise him something, but it doesn't mean I lied.

thanks for clarifying even deeper into - I said "in a way lying or having an unhonest handling of their business matters" - note: "or" can also introduce or mean "better said" ... but it's pretty clear the intention is what counts ...
    And I do hope nobody is expecting any of this to happen but that we get what we were told to be getting ...and perhaps even a bit more, but never less ... cause you get, what you expect
    12-05-17 03:19 PM
    thanks for clarifying even deeper into - I said "in a way lying or having an unhonest handling of their business matters" - note: "or" can also introduce or mean "better said" ... but it's pretty clear the intention is what counts ...
    And I do hope nobody is expecting any of this to happen but that we get what we were told to be getting ...and perhaps even a bit more, but never less ... cause you get, what you expect
    Yes. I think we both agree that a company can disappoint it's customers without intentionally lying to them. It happens all the time!

12-05-17 03:39 PM
    This post is here as a general question about a concept that some people have been through before. It is also here to distinguish whether the keyone is more about an OS update or the device itself.

From personal experience, I owned a PRIV that could have gotten the nougat update (based on the specs) but it was blackberry's choice not to push that update. I don't recall them promising that update, but that didn't take anything away from the Priv being a nice device.

It also happened to the PlayBook (which did get promised BB10) but guess what...yep you guess it. It was still a great device that I use from time to time til this day. The point is that an OS update doesn't take anything away from a device that is already great. Plus, nougat is going to get support for at least the next few years. The Keytwo (probably a different name) would be out by then. Life goes on.
    12-05-17 04:07 PM
    Yes. I think we both agree that a company can disappoint it's customers without intentionally lying to them. It happens all the time!

Well - of course, but do we have to put our attention into all this - cause you get what you focus on - so let's stay tuned ...
    But a more physical view into philosophy would even discover, that it's people doing or not doing things - or waiting instead of acting ...and more over - if your done's are too many wrongs - you would expect that others do wrongs to you sooner or later too - treat other like you wanna be treated ...and you can also kind of expect more. I don't know where you life and what companies have promised and not held, but it's us consumers just accepting it or fighting back ... and in this world we should more focus on fighting back then focus or even prepare for being "fouled or disappointed" ... but this tread, freedom of speach granted is more like a negative bend over, you're gonna be kicked again, don't you remember - you'd been kicked already, so don't feel good or relaxed but try to focus on negative ... sorry just honest thoughts!
    12-05-17 04:28 PM
    This post is here as a general question about a concept that some people have been through before. It is also here to distinguish whether the keyone is more about an OS update or the device itself.

From personal experience, I owned a PRIV that could have gotten the nougat update (based on the specs) but it was blackberry's choice not to push that update. I don't recall them promising that update, but that didn't take anything away from the Priv being a nice device.

It also happened to the PlayBook (which did get promised BB10) but guess what...yep you guess it. It was still a great device that I use from time to time til this day. The point is that an OS update doesn't take anything away from a device that is already great. Plus, nougat is going to get support for at least the next few years. The Keytwo (probably a different name) would be out by then. Life goes on.
    yes - exactly life goes on - so why bring up past failures of BB (and from my understanding BB10 has nothing anymore to do with Android and the whole company story around that really great OS BB10) and start questioning or putting out, that promises could be broken again ... sorry - this is focus on negatives in camouflaged way - my honest opinion!
    12-05-17 04:42 PM
    Yes, the thread itself is a bit silly. There's no reason at this point to think the KEYone won't get Oreo, and BlackBerry's history (which isn't really as bad as people claim, IMO) has absolutely nothing to do with whether the KEYone gets Oreo, in any case.

Having said that, the chance that BlackBerry Mobile just walks away from the BlackBerry brand, while very unlikely, is still more likely than the newest iPhone or Samsung flagship not receiving the next OS upgrade.

12-05-17 04:55 PM
    yes - exactly life goes on - so why bring up past failures of BB (and from my understanding BB10 has nothing anymore to do with Android and the whole company story around that really great OS BB10) and start questioning or putting out, that promises could be broken again ... sorry - this is focus on negatives in camouflaged way - my honest opinion!
    I disagree. But your opinion is yours. I brought up those past situations not to reference blackberry failures (as you call it) but to validate my experience as it relates to the the question that the thread asks. I will not be upset if the KeyOne does not get Oreo. But again, that is just me.

This was not to imply anything that blackberry may or may not do in the future. As a consumer, I don't have a sense of entitlement about the product that blackberry or any other company chooses to put forth. All I can do is trust that they will put out the best possible product that will appeal to me and multiple users alike.
    12-05-17 05:54 PM
    Yes, the thread itself is a bit silly. There's no reason at this point to think the KEYone won't get Oreo, and BlackBerry's history (which isn't really as bad as people claim, IMO) has absolutely nothing to do with whether the KEYone gets Oreo, in any case.

Having said that, the chance that BlackBerry Mobile just walks away from the BlackBerry brand, while very unlikely, is still more likely than the newest iPhone or Samsung flagship not receiving the next OS upgrade.

Again, I only referenced my point about the question I asked. It wasn't intended to focus on blackberry's past. The focus is in the question which doesn't imply anything about the keyone not getting Oreo.

It may be a touchy subject for some that may still be caught up in blackberry's past. For those people, all they have to do is scroll past this thread and don't comment.
    12-05-17 05:58 PM
    From a non tech I would not know the difference between oreo or nougat anyway. In my books as long as my cell works I am happy.
    12-05-17 06:03 PM
    Since BBM publicly said there would be Oreo on KEYone and Oreo on Motion in Q1 2018, what are all the guesses here and implying BBM is lying? Why not just wait till 2018? Very weird
    12-05-17 06:05 PM
    From a non tech I would not know the difference between oreo or nougat anyway. In my books as long as my cell works I am happy.
    One thing of importance is that the upgrade will effectively extend the patching by approximately one year, important for those of us who might keep a phone longer than 2-2.5 years.

Last edited by bb10adopter111; 12-05-17 at 06:38 PM.
    12-05-17 06:25 PM
    Yes.
    12-05-17 06:58 PM
    it's gonna get oreo though BlackBerry confirmed it will in 2018 but will it get android 9 that's the big question
    12-05-17 07:19 PM
    What's an oreo? And what's android 9?
    12-13-17 02:47 AM
45 12