After using the KEYone for a few weeks, I have started to gain a greater a appreciation for BB 10. Android has been difficult getting used to.
    If a major player could get app developers on board, would BB 10 become a viable OS (for the same demographic that TCL is targeting with the KEYone)?
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    07-22-17 04:52 PM
    Why would a small company want to take over an OS that failed for good reasons despite all the resources of a large company behind it?

Even Microsoft couldn't get app developers on board and gave up trying to compete in the phone business.

TCL is targeting a much larger market that just the limited niche market for the KEYone with the BlackBerry brand, and it's entirely Android.
    07-22-17 05:01 PM
    Would another company ever want to buy/license BB10?
    07-22-17 05:03 PM
    been there done that. Everyone is smart enough to leave it alone and pursue something with a viable future.
    07-22-17 05:04 PM
    It was tried in August of 2012. No manufacturers were in the least bit interested....

BlackBerry: other manufacturers could license our new BB10 platform.
    07-22-17 05:27 PM
    Wrong forum section I think.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-17 05:34 PM
    It was tried in August of 2012. No manufacturers were in the least bit interested....

BlackBerry: other manufacturers could license our new BB10 platform.
    Actually - Balsillie had a bunch of Chinese companies poised to licence bb10 and bring that into the Chinese market, I think even a few hundred million already invested into building infrastructure when the plug was ultimately pulled so not to jeopardize their US market.

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    p51 likes this.
    07-22-17 06:06 PM
    BB10 is dead. let it rest in peace and let us remember the good times. time to move on folks. it's just gonna cause unnecessary frustration.
    Carjackd likes this.
    07-22-17 06:07 PM
    I have had a cell phone since the public could afford them...and bb10 is not even close to supported enough to be viable. I loved it..it was different... simple..and had a lot of potential... but was so far behind when it was launched. If bb10 was launched when the iPhone debued...that would have been about the correct timing. blackdroid is the smartest idea BB has come up with in a long time!! - LOVE IT!!
    07-22-17 06:17 PM
    After using the KEYone for a few weeks, I have started to gain a greater a appreciation for BB 10. Android has been difficult getting used to.
    If a major player could get app developers on board, would BB 10 become a viable OS (for the same demographic that TCL is targeting with the KEYone)?
    Yes but that ship sailed a long long time ago! Most companies look at Blackberry os10 as an ancient os and without App developer support it won't sell!
    What I think BB should do is re develop bbos10 rename it and relaunch!
    Last edited by cellphonejunkey; 07-23-17 at 11:38 AM.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    07-22-17 08:00 PM
    Even if, whatever, coulda, woulda, shoulda. BB never really could have made BB10 successful. It's only revenue stream of any meaningful consequence was from carriers selling BBOS for BB. The sooner BB10 rolled out, the sooner BB would have committed economic suicide by losing its BBOS revenue stream. Apple, Google and Microsoft have always had significant alternative primary revenue streams. Their original business model doomed them from the very beginning.
    07-22-17 08:56 PM
    Although I believe there is room for a third OS in the market...BB10 is not it. BlackBerry had very little success with the OS, so there is Zero chance that another company would grab the licensing agreement
    p51 likes this.
    07-22-17 10:33 PM
    The failure of BB10 was due to the lack of a native app ecosystem for the more popular applications people are using on a regular basis. The OS itself is solid.
    p51 likes this.
    07-22-17 11:06 PM
    Why would a small company want to take over an OS that failed for good reasons despite all the resources of a large company behind it?

Even Microsoft couldn't get app developers on board and gave up trying to compete in the phone business.

TCL is targeting a much larger market that just the limited niche market for the KEYone with the BlackBerry brand, and it's entirely Android.
    The OS didn't fail. The people running Blackberry did...
    anon(10218918) and elfabio80 like this.
    07-22-17 11:32 PM
    First Android is free

Second not enough people cared enough about what BB10 brought to the table.

So what company is going to pay money to continue an OS that hardly anybody wants, when they can pay nothing for Android that lots of people seem willing to buy.
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-22-17 11:48 PM
    ...like HP sold webOS to LG now seen on TV sets...
    07-23-17 12:08 AM
    The development of BlackBerry 10 has stopped about 2 years ago !
    07-23-17 01:29 AM
    ...like HP sold webOS to LG now seen on TV sets...
    So maybe TCL/BBMo will buy or license BB10 for it's TV business ;-)
    07-23-17 05:41 AM
    not likely... bb10 some feel is eclipsed by palm
    07-23-17 06:43 AM
    why is this crap in the K1 forum?
    07-23-17 06:54 AM
    Your neighbour invites you around and as you are talking - he builds a bonfire and starts throwing his savings on it. After he's burnt through all his own savings, he ask if you'd like the instructions to set fire to your own savings in your garden.

Not very likely is it?

Regardless of its merits as an OS - as a product, BB10 is a terrible terrible bomb that cost millions and never turned a come in profit.

Nobody wants to license such a loser.
    07-23-17 08:29 AM
    Your neighbour invites you around and as you are talking - he builds a bonfire and starts throwing his savings on it. After he's burnt through all his own savings, he ask if you'd like the instructions to set fire to your own savings in your garden.

Not very likely is it?

Regardless of its merits as an OS - as a product, BB10 is a terrible terrible bomb that cost millions and never turned a come in profit.

Nobody wants to license such a loser.
    Was the OS a loser, or was the company (mis) managing the OS the loser?
    07-23-17 12:37 PM
    not likely... bb10 some feel is eclipsed by palm

Palm OS was & still is my favorite phone OS. So far ahead of its time!!!!
    anon(10252394) likes this.
    07-23-17 12:38 PM
    Although I believe there is room for a third OS in the market...BB10 is not it. BlackBerry had very little success with the OS, so there is Zero chance that another company would grab the licensing agreement
    I agree about there being room for a third OS, but it needs to be one that 1. Doesn't suck, 2. Comes on great hardware, 4. great specs( specs matter...as we see with the underpowered KEYone), 3. Has native app support.
    The OS that came the closest was Web OS. Unfortunately, they didn't have great hardware, if they did the landscape now could have been much different.
    07-23-17 12:45 PM
    Was the OS a loser, or was the company (mis) managing the OS the loser?
    Isn't that like asking was the dish bad or was it the chef?
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    07-23-17 01:07 PM
74 123