Hi there

Long time blackberry user here. I came from the passport. I loved bb10 but the lack of apps and updates began to be problematic for me so I upgraded to the keyone. I am aware that android naturally is not as "snappy" as BB10 was, but my keyone works like a 10 year old phone running an early android version. It struggles to complete simple tasks like opening apps, opening messages via hub, etc. There is major lag between touching the screen and the phone actually performing the requested task. I'm not talking 1-2 seconds, it can be up to 5-8 seconds before working at times. Why is a fully supported, frequently updated phone working so badly? I haven't installed any shady apps, downloaded shady files, I don't keep a lot of media files, I regularly reboot my phone, I ensure it updates all apps overnight, I use it for its intended purposes only. I'm committed to blackberry so I am hoping for a solution rather than getting a different branded phone. Also, I don't own a computer, so a security back up & wipe is off the table for me. Plus, I don't think I should have to do a wipe on such a new phone. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks guys
    03-17-18 11:14 PM
    Plus, I don't think I should have to do a wipe on such a new phone.
    Things go wrong and get buggered up. If you're not willing to even try a wipe, not sure anyone can do much for you outside of telling you to make sure your app cache is cleaned out. I've had to wipe my BB10 devices countless times after issues arose, let's not pretend like they were set it and forget it solutions. There was whole OS updates issued on BB10 that were so buggered the solution was to wipe and start fresh.
    deezy87 likes this.
    03-17-18 11:23 PM
    It appears your Keyone is busy with indexing or other CPU-intensive tasks in the background. Do you have a SD-Card installed? That could be the culprit. Try formatting the SD-CARD, if you have one installed, using the Keyone. You mentioned you don't have/use a computer - You can try backing up all your documents, photos etc into the SD-CARD or onto the cloud, then reset the phone. Re-install your applications one at a time, taking the time to monitor CPU usage. I did experience some lag, like what you described, with my Keyone Black. After resetting the Keyone, updating the OS, it works fine now. Hope these suggestions help! Mark (Singapore).
    03-17-18 11:37 PM
    Just curious ... how much of your memory is in use? Typical should be about 2 - 2.6 GB out of 2.8. Your symptoms seem like all available memory may be in use. How large is the cache? I clear mine out when it reaches 1 GB. Do as Bla1ze suggested and clear out the memory cache and then reboot. That might be all it takes.
    03-17-18 11:41 PM
    wipe it. honestly after my second wipe, my black edition have been working perfectly. no lag since
    03-18-18 12:57 AM
    wipe it. honestly after my second wipe, my black edition have been working perfectly. no lag since
    Curious....how long has it been since your second wipe? And how long after the first did you have to do it again?
    Thanks.
    03-18-18 02:55 AM
    Sometimes an update can screw up some things. A factory reset almost always fixes the issue. If it doesn't, call blackberry.
    03-18-18 03:45 AM
    I appears to my as a faulty (either hw or sw) device.
    It definitely should not be slow - or that slow for that matter.
    If a wipe does not make it any better or good, I would return it.
    03-18-18 06:23 AM
    It's probably the cache android sucks in many departments that's one of them.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-18 07:51 AM
    just try a factory reset and see. After I get a major update, I reset my Keyone anyways.

With contacts backed up to an online account, it is not that big a deal.
    03-18-18 08:18 AM
    Are you using the same memory card from your passport? Get a new memory card with a high read and write capability. Then let us know if u see a difference.
    03-19-18 09:21 AM
    All it takes is one bad app. They won't be marked shady, so it won't be easy to find.

If it becomes so annoying to you that you do feel a wipe would help, then the best thing to do IS NOT RE-INSTALL ALL YOUR APPS. Run your KEYone without apps for a few days. That will tell you if one of your apps is causing your problem.

Good luck.
    ppeters914 and Wezard like this.
    03-19-18 12:14 PM
    I just did a factory reset on mine as I was having similar issues. reinstalled most apps.

Phone is back to perfectly smooth.
    03-21-18 12:24 AM
    Reinstall or don't install any apps at all, should solve your problem
    03-21-18 02:54 AM
    Question, the December patch on sprint royally screwed my phone, I've done a reset and it updated back to it. Sprint hasn't pushed an update since February. The March patch just came through and didn't fix the result. If I do a factory reset, will it go back to the original os so I can bypass the December patch and go straight to March?
    04-17-18 07:06 AM
    Question, the December patch on sprint royally screwed my phone, I've done a reset and it updated back to it. Sprint hasn't pushed an update since February. The March patch just came through and didn't fix the result. If I do a factory reset, will it go back to the original os so I can bypass the December patch and go straight to March?
    No. The Factory reset installs the current version of your OS.
    04-17-18 09:24 AM
    Probably not what you want to hear....but do the wipe.
    I just did it to mine, and it is now working great!
    it was actually quite painless, Google seems to do a good job of remembering stuff that you want it to remember.
    I didn't do the "device transfer". I just made sure my contacts were backed up.
    Texts, call logs, etc....don't really care about them.
    psychofox13 likes this.
    04-17-18 12:09 PM
    Android is slow and laggy in all devices (maybe excluding Samsung flagship phones). If you want a responsive phone buy Apple.
    04-17-18 02:10 PM
    Android is slow and laggy in all devices (maybe excluding Samsung flagship phones). If you want a responsive phone buy Apple.
    Hmmmm...it depends I guess.. Have a black edition one, 83 apps installed on it, 3 gigs of RAM constantly used and it's buttery smooooth and snappy as ever...Never experienced a slowdown myself, been owning and heavily using the K1 for over 7 months now. The only thing I did was limiting the animations a bit but that's it....
    04-17-18 02:25 PM
    This is not a true statement. See Apple's slowness issues regarding processor down-clocking and the performance issues as a result. See also any Apple forum.

I have had no abnormal slowness or lag in any Android device I have owned. As any computing device is used, it gets slow over time. You may not notice as it is very gradual and does take time for it to really show. A routine factory reset is necessary to keep any computing device running optimally with little to no lag or slowness. This includes Android, iOS, Windows, MacOS, Linux, etc.
    04-17-18 02:30 PM
    Lol.
    04-17-18 02:30 PM
    Samsung phones? You mean the ones that are packed with the most bloat and heavy TouchWiz skin that slows an S8 down within a few months to the point that a Black K1 can keep up fairly easily?

Oh and as for needing to go iOS to get a fast and fluid phone, well, you're right............until Apple decides that it's time for you to upgrade and forces an update that throttles your processor.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-17-18 03:14 PM
    I've migrated from iPhone to the KeyOne because of the high expectations I had with the keyboard, which actually exceeded, but I've since day one struggled with the fluidity I lost from a clean OS like apple's. It's everywhere recognised that Android is not an optimized OS and is more like a virtual machine than an actual operating system, which makes sense if you take into account the enormous quantity of devices that it needs to run on. If 2018 hardware is still struggling to run a damned OS properly then something's going wrong.
    04-17-18 04:33 PM
    I've migrated from iPhone to the KeyOne because of the high expectations I had with the keyboard, which actually exceeded, but I've since day one struggled with the fluidity I lost from a clean OS like apple's. It's everywhere recognised that Android is not an optimized OS and is more like a virtual machine than an actual operating system, which makes sense if you take into account the enormous quantity of devices that it needs to run on. If 2018 hardware is still struggling to run a damned OS properly then something's going wrong.
    1) Saying Android is not optimized is an old thought. That no longer applies. It comes down to the individual manufactures to optimize Android for their devices. (To claim Apple is optimized is also hilarious as each update breaks something, or a huge security flaw is created)
    2) Saying Android is more of a VM is also hilarious, as each handset manufacturer has to create and manage their own drivers for the hardware they're using. Literally no two handsets can run each others version of Android (unless they're the same device, different iteration which can and will still have compatibility issues). You cannot simply install a version of Android from an HTC phone onto a Samsung phone and expect it to work. It will not. Android is nothing like a VM.
    3) Google doesn't build Android for all manufactures. Each manufacture builds their own version of Android for their own device.

04-17-18 05:21 PM
    1) Saying Android is not optimized is an old thought. That no longer applies. It comes down to the individual manufactures to optimize Android for their devices. (To claim Apple is optimized is also hilarious as each update breaks something, or a huge security flaw is created)
    2) Saying Android is more of a VM is also hilarious, as each handset manufacturer has to create and manage their own drivers for the hardware they're using. Literally no two handsets can run each others version of Android (unless they're the same device, different iteration which can and will still have compatibility issues). You cannot simply install a version of Android from an HTC phone onto a Samsung phone and expect it to work. It will not. Android is nothing like a VM.
    3) Google doesn't build Android for all manufactures. Each manufacture builds their own version of Android for their own device.

I did not write this, but I consider this one of the best explanations I have read on the topic:

1) IOS Application codes does not require a separate runtime environment like android.
    2) As there is no separate runtime environment to run application, OS directly communicates/ message passes to the software and thus message overhead time is considerably reduced. Not only time, even battery is also saved by this ideology.
    3) Both os has linux core/kernal but when os (iOS) turns into runtime environment, it becomes magical in performance.
    4) In case of Android, latest version Marshmallow, uses ART (Android Runtime) is having a lesser over heads to JIT compilation which ultimately runs Android apps. But JIT compilation of byte code present in application leads to lesser performance as compared to iOS.

Basically iOS does not require any medium or intermediate runtime environment/software to communicate between os and software. Android has various other cores which are communicating with software
    04-17-18 05:28 PM
26 12