As a Blackberry diehard, I everyday read on Blackberry devices on the forums. My favorite device so far, although I have never seen and touched it, is blackberry KeyOne Silver; this is the one device that I read about on daily basis. But the forums seem to have a plethora of gripes on this particular device. I hear those who complain about the poor reception of the Silver KeyOne. The biggest complaint, however, has been the screen popping off the device. This got me wondering if there have ever been reports on screen popping off the Black Edition. If no, then, despite my love for the color of the Silver edition, I might have to close my eyes and buy the Black Edition. Honestly, while some love the Black KeyOne, the Silver seems to be more appealing than the Black. But then, it has more problems than the Black (at least considering the reports or complaints on the KeyOne forum).

What do you, KeyOne owners, have to say about this? Is the Black edition better than the Silver? Has it had its screen popping off like that of the Silver KeyOne? Were you to buy one today, which one would you go for? The Silver for the looks? Or the black for its durability and, perhaps, for its extra ram and gigabytes?

Your responses are appreciated, given that I am still thinking of upgrading from my dying Z30 to the recommended KeyOne.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-18 11:28 AM
    Never heard of a black KEYᵒⁿᵉ shedding it's screen. Silver KEYᵒⁿᵉ's made after July 2017 don't shed either.
    07-05-18 11:31 AM
    the black edition was build after they've fixed the screen drop out issue on the silver edition.

i had the silver one when it was released, and even though i have factory reset it a few times and cleaned cache every week, sometimes i had terrible lags where the screen wasn't responding for some time.

after 3 months i sold it.

now i have the black edition for 2 months and haven't encountered a single lag, aside from a micro stutter once in a few weeks
    pdxj36 likes this.
    07-05-18 11:32 AM
    Never heard of a black KEYᵒⁿᵉ shedding it's screen. Silver KEYᵒⁿᵉ's made after July 2017 don't shed either.
    People still complain about screen popping off their KeyOnes. Does that mean their phones are the first build? Haven't there been reports on July-built KeyOne screen popping off?

Posted via CB10
    07-05-18 11:39 AM
    People still complain about screen popping off their KeyOnes. Does that mean their phones are the first build? Haven't there been reports on July-built KeyOne screen popping off?

Posted via CB10
    They changed the manufacturing process in late June / early July 2017. From what I've seen there have been no reports here on Crackberry of any KEYᵒⁿᵉ's losing their screen after June manufacture.
    07-05-18 12:02 PM
    They changed the manufacturing process in late June / early July 2017. From what I've seen there have been no reports here on Crackberry of any KEYᵒⁿᵉ's losing their screen after June manufacture.
    Meaning any new silver KeyOne sold on amazon today is free from this issue?

Posted via CB10
    07-05-18 12:13 PM
    Meaning any new silver KeyOne sold on amazon today is free from this issue?

Posted via CB10
    Yes I would think so.
    07-05-18 12:18 PM
    the black edition was build after they've fixed the screen drop out issue on the silver edition.

i had the silver one when it was released, and even though i have factory reset it a few times and cleaned cache every week, sometimes i had terrible lags where the screen wasn't responding for some time.

after 3 months i sold it.

now i have the black edition for 2 months and haven't encountered a single lag, aside from a micro stutter once in a few weeks
    From what I have read here, the black edition is a wonderful device. But perhaps the main complaint is that it scratches so easily around the edges, and such peeling into white color is so disgusting.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-18 12:22 PM
    yeah one drop on hard floor could be enough. but i use a case. or a sock when i don't want to use the case. im extra careful with it xD
    07-05-18 04:35 PM
    yeah one drop on hard floor could be enough. but i use a case. or a sock when i don't want to use the case. im extra careful with it xD
    What phone are you referring to? We haven't heard of any black KEYᵒⁿᵉ's having the screen fall out. Plus no Silver KEYᵒⁿᵉ's built after July 2017 have been reported as yet.
    07-05-18 04:42 PM
    Any silver KEYone built on or after July 10th 2017 is garanteed to not have the screen lift issue, period.
    Maybe a few days prior to that date is fine too. The latest built date with which I've heard someone had the problem was June 27th.

None of the Black Edition and Bronze Edition models do not have this issue
    07-05-18 05:15 PM
    What phone are you referring to? We haven't heard of any black KEYᵒⁿᵉ's having the screen fall out. Plus no Silver KEYᵒⁿᵉ's built after July 2017 have been reported as yet.
    I didn't mean the screen. But i experienced that one drop, from pocket height while sitting on a chair, on concrete was enough to make a kink into the metal frame that was showing the silver color under that black paint.

Luckily i was able to send it back and got me a new one xD

Now i use a case + sock when going out (sock because screen protectors suck for the keyone).

Sometimes i remove the case though and just use the sock, when I'm feeling like that
    07-06-18 12:59 AM
    Any silver KEYone built on or after July 10th 2017 is garanteed to not have the screen lift issue, period.
    Maybe a few days prior to that date is fine too. The latest built date with which I've heard someone had the problem was June 27th.

None of the Black Edition and Bronze Edition models do not have this issue
    Maybe, the biggest problem with the build date is knowing whether the new silver KeyOnes sold on amazon today, not to mention the affordable used-like new KeyOnes, were built after that troublesome date. This makes me wonder how I can get a silver KeyOne pronounced free from the screen-lift issue.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-18 01:41 AM
    Maybe, the biggest problem with the build date is knowing whether the new silver KeyOnes sold on amazon today, not to mention the affordable used-like new KeyOnes, were built after that troublesome date. This makes me wonder how I can get a silver KeyOne pronounced free from the screen-lift issue.

Posted via CB10
    If it's from Amazon, you'll need to buy it and then do the MMI test to find out the build date (I'm 99% sure they only have newer units without the issue).

If it's from a private seller, ask him/her to do the test and tell you the date etc..

You can find the assembly date for the unit in the MMI test / Traceability menu

1. Dial *#2886#
    2. Press the MANU red button
    3. Touch the "Traceability" menu
    4. Hit PASS

You should get something like this, where the bottom line is a date of assembly:

YYYYMMDD

5. Hit PASS again
    6. Scroll to the bottom and hit Exit
    07-06-18 05:13 AM

Posted via CB10
    If it's from Amazon, you'll need to buy it and then do the MMI test to find out the build date (I'm 99% sure they only have newer units without the issue).

If it's from a private seller, ask him/her to do the test and tell you the date etc..

1. Dial *#2886#
    4. Hit PASS

You should get something like this, where the bottom line is a date of assembly:

YYYYMMDD

5. Hit PASS again
    07-06-18 05:22 AM
    Hi guys I just purchased a Black 64GB from CPW at. £349. I thought this was a great price. I am still using my Passport at the minute. Is this phone a better build than the silver 32GB version and has there been any major issues with it. My Passport is still going strong but with what'sapp gone I am missing that.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-18 08:37 AM
    I didn't mean the screen. But i experienced that one drop, from pocket height while sitting on a chair, on concrete was enough to make a kink into the metal frame that was showing the silver color under that black paint.

Luckily i was able to send it back and got me a new one xD

Now i use a case + sock when going out (sock because screen protectors suck for the keyone).

Sometimes i remove the case though and just use the sock, when I'm feeling like that
    I have mine in a Stilgut flip case but still keep it in a microfiber eye glass "sock". This helps keep the lens clean and lint free.
    07-06-18 08:51 AM
    Hi guys I just purchased a Black 64GB from CPW at. £349. I thought this was a great price. I am still using my Passport at the minute. Is this phone a better build than the silver 32GB version and has there been any major issues with it. My Passport is still going strong but with what'sapp gone I am missing that.

Posted via CB10
    I have not seen any major issues with that model of the Black. And that price sounds pretty decent, too.
    07-06-18 08:53 AM
    Many thanks for your reply. Looking forward to collecting it tomorrow but haven't worked out how to prevent the wife noticing a new phone!!!

Posted via CB10
    07-06-18 08:57 AM
    Black K1 came out after the whole screen-separation issue.

So, no.
    07-06-18 10:10 AM
    Many thanks for your reply. Looking forward to collecting it tomorrow but haven't worked out how to prevent the wife noticing a new phone!!!

Posted via CB10
    Wife preventing husband from buying a device?

Posted via CB10
    07-06-18 12:03 PM

1. Dial *#2886#
    4. Hit PASS

YYYYMMDD

5. Hit PASS again
    Thank you, the--boon, for pointing this out. Seems to me that a foolproof plan would be buying the black edition. No need to fumble around to learn about the build date. Oh! I just can't resist that amazing silver color on the KeyOne.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-18 12:10 PM
    Wife preventing husband from buying a device?

Posted via CB10
    He used her credit card too!
    07-06-18 12:28 PM
    That's why I have the seidio case. Very nice.
    07-07-18 11:23 AM
    That's why I have the seidio case. Very nice.
    Seidio case on the black or silver KeyOne?

Posted via CB10
    07-07-18 01:38 PM
40 12