New customers see the obscure behavior and shun

Existing customers scratch their heads

Loyal customers shake their heads in dismay

Captive customers scan the horizon for new PKB devices

What other business uses this plan?
    anon(10218918) and Elky64 like this.
    03-09-19 11:30 AM

What other business uses this plan?
    The Nokia brand is licenced to HMD Global. Nokia is otherwise out of the handset game.

The Sharp brand is licenced to Hisense. Sharp is otherwise out of the TV game.

Similarly, the RCA TV brand is really Curtis International. RCA is not in the TV business.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    03-09-19 11:39 AM
    Who actually codes "Hub" and "Hub+" ...is it not BlackBerry and not BlackBerry Mobile?
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    03-09-19 11:51 AM
    Who actually codes "Hub" and "Hub+" ...is it not BlackBerry and not BlackBerry Mobile?
    At this point, does it really matter, when the mighty Alphabet/Google/Android flexes it's muscles to show it's strength and control?

Much of these conversations have resulted from "all types of change" but seems inevitable as the mobile industry matures.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    03-09-19 12:05 PM
    BlackBerry provides BBMo with both the app suite and the OS kernel hardening for a fee.

I'm not sure what the issue is that you are describing. Blackberry wasn't going to stay in the hardware business anyway, so we are just lucky to have what we have now.
    Last edited by conite; 03-09-19 at 01:11 PM.
    BigAl_BB9900 and the_boon like this.
    03-09-19 12:57 PM
    BlackBerry provides BBMo with both the app suite and the OS kernel hardening for a fee.
    So that defines who to blame...

That said, what is the new landscape phone people were Talking about recently shown at the Spanish CE show? I don't seem to see it easily...
    03-09-19 01:10 PM
    So that defines who to blame...

That said, what is the new landscape phone people were Talking about recently shown at the Spanish CE show? I don't seem to see it easily...
    Blame for what? It was Google that revoked SMS and call log permissions to third-party apps.

The Cosmo Communicator is the phone you are talking about. But at .7 pounds, it will be mostly unusable. It's about 65% heavier than both the Passport and the Priv.
    03-09-19 01:12 PM
    Blame for what?

The Cosmo Communicator is the phone you are talking about. But at .7 pounds, it will be mostly unusable. It's about 65% heavier than both the Passport and the Priv.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...dson_with_the/
    03-09-19 01:15 PM
    Blame for allowing Hub to depreciate...
    03-09-19 01:26 PM
    Without fully integrated software experience BlackBerry remain only in name, logo and some PKB tactility.

The effective communicator of old also know as BB10 or even 7 is no longer though it can be with some effort from BlackBerry and BlackBerry Mobile if they see it and decide it's worth the investment.

Until then, the only differentiator at this point is a logo and physical keyboard otherwise most latest slabs will do equally or better, especially in the OS department.
    AnkurTri1 likes this.
    03-09-19 01:41 PM
    Blame for allowing Hub to depreciate...
    It was Google that revoked SMS and call log permissions to third-party apps.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    03-09-19 01:48 PM
    If BlackBerry were so smart they would have built the messaging and phone into Hub so it would be there... they are letting me down
    Jake2826 likes this.
    03-09-19 02:13 PM
    If BlackBerry were so smart they would have built the messaging and phone into Hub so it would be there... they are letting me down
    They have ...I still have both in my Hub on my Z30 😁
    Jake2826 and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    03-09-19 02:17 PM
    But this discussion is for the hub they furnish installed on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ (and other android hardware) which is the only hub they sell now, pre-installed or aftermarket
    03-09-19 02:26 PM
    They decided to follow rather than lead. Leading cost money so they chose to go like most OEM.

Samsung and Huawei for example chose to lead so they have their own SMS and Dialer apps.

I am trying to find if there are more OEM that invested in developing their own apps rather than use the ones Google provides.
    Jake2826 and BBHermes like this.
    03-09-19 02:31 PM
    so is TCL attempting to spin-off BlackBerry Mobile ?

https://m.sina.com.hk/news/article/2...�-9526261.html

Here's the Google translation:

Passing the BlackBerry will be a rescuing legend by TCL

December 12, 2018, 13:06
      This article comes from Weibo: Laoliang
      Text / old cool on the front line
      Exclusively informed on the front line, TCL will transfer the BlackBerry business, which is said to be currently looking for a receiver.
      Such a message came out, and people were so sad and embarrassed.
      TCL took over the BlackBerry business in 2017 and launched two full-keyboard Android phones: Key One and Key Two.
      As a wonderful mobile phone, BlackBerry has been in the smart phone market for many years. Its self-contained, maverick style has made it popular in the global high-end market, and it has been sought after by political figures and fashion circles with its unique security.
      But in recent years, especially under the squeeze of iPhone and Android phones, the self-contained BlackBerry system and BlackBerry have encountered a similar situation with another legendary Nokia. At first, they tried to launch their own touch system BB10 to fight against iPhone and Android, which won the respect of fans, but the market is ruthless, BlackBerry Bb10 and Nokia's MeeGo and WindowsPhone have become cannon fodder.

The fate of the BlackBerry itself is also awful, and it has to turn to the development of the software field, and the mobile phone business is "outsourced" to TCL operations.
      When TCL just took over, he was very active and tried to reactivate the legend of BlackBerry.
      But what is a pity is that the BlackBerry has not been ignited, but the original series of brand heritage has been overdrawn.
      The reason is that at the front line, in fact, no matter who takes over the BlackBerry, they must recognize the advantages and disadvantages of the BlackBerry. If the operator does not clarify the original brand culture, fan culture and design, it is difficult to put an old brand. Play live.
      Of course, there is another important reason. The Chinese mobile phone market is a thousand miles away. TCL itself can't keep up with the latecomers in the mobile phone business, let alone add such a heavy burden to the BlackBerry.
      Want to make money on the BlackBerry, not only to see market changes and future trends, but also to see whether the strength of their own cards is sufficient, pricing, positioning and standing must be clear and appropriate, otherwise it will not play.
      In the front line, Lao Liang once wrote an article, "Whether anyone buys a blackberry is a violent thing", it still seems to be overly vocal, but it is not unreasonable. The BlackBerry is a legend. The old cool loves this brand for many years, but looks at it. The road is really heartbroken.
      I am shocked to learn about this matter, only blessing!
    bbtexcracker likes this.
    03-09-19 02:39 PM
    But this discussion is for the hub they furnish installed on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ (and other android hardware) which is the only hub they sell now, pre-installed or aftermarket
    I am fully aware that the discussion surrounds blackberry Hub (android) however your statement wasn't precise nor did it take into account that by using the Android OS , most brands that use the OS have to follow the terms and conditions set by Google or build their own OS .

So one cannot apportion blame to any brand as this is the price they have to pay to use the OS .
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    03-09-19 02:40 PM
    From the developer:

"It's actually very simple. Textra, Yaata and other third party apps don't have to comply to carrier requirements. SMS is something that almost every carrier on the planet has a huge requirements document for that you must comply to in order to ship, and almost every single one of them is different. Building an SMS app really isn't that difficult or costly, but the cost of doing it with with every carrier's requirements in mind is quite a large investment and requires a full team to read all the requirements docs, pull them apart and negotiate on some of them where they conflict across carriers or don't make sense, and then implement everything. Oh, and then you have to do carrier lab certification for it all.

Now combine that with the fact that there's not a ton of ways to have a 'differentiated' experience with SMS and do a ton of really unique things with it, and that Google has a perfectly fine SMS app which has passed carrier lab certification and shipped on several devices already. Would you want to take on that cost when someone else can instead? Google has a massive team, and we wanted to focus our team on the things that we could do uniquely or feel we could bring some value to.

No one really sees it, but the cost carriers impose on OEMs is massive and contain some of the most ridiculous requests (not to mention harmful to the overall user experience!) that I've ever seen."

From me:

Most use Android Messages. The advantages of that is that Google can push carriers around and get the certifications. Plus you can sync your SMS with your PC. Plus they have already cornered the market on RCS.

LG, Motorola, Sony, HTC, ZTE, Nokia, LeEco, all Android One devices, and many others have all agreed to use Android Messages as default.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    03-09-19 02:41 PM
    but isn't that exactly why people went to BlackBerry, to do things outside the "google" box? TCL doesn't understand the mentality of BlackBerry customers, and will soon predictably leave the BlackBerry space, I think...
    03-09-19 02:52 PM
    The Nokia brand is licenced to HMD Global. Nokia is otherwise out of the handset game.

The Sharp brand is licenced to Hisense. Sharp is otherwise out of the TV game.

Similarly, the RCA TV brand is really Curtis International. RCA is not in the TV business.
    I think it is fair to say that HMD is closer to Nokia than BlackBerry Mobile is to BlackBerry . HMD has a lot of staff from the old Nokia etc.

https://www.androidauthority.com/nok...or-929317/amp/

But I agree that BlackBerry Mobile is more than just sticking on a brand name on an Alcatel . The Key2 is an evolution of the KEYone which was a BlackBerry design for the most part. The Motion is really a TCL design but crafted to please former Priv/ Z owners.

Not the same as RCA or Toshiba etc .
    03-09-19 02:55 PM
    but isn't that exactly why people went to BlackBerry, to do things outside the "google" box? TCL doesn't understand the mentality of BlackBerry customers, and will soon predictably leave the BlackBerry space, I think...
    You don't seem to understand the millions of dollars that would have to be spent on a certification team, and the huge delays that would be introduced for any and all updates (bug fixes) to the app suite.

For what, a net couple hundred more app subscriptions?
    03-09-19 02:56 PM
    But the hub has devolved into an email app with a few notifications from social media... it's a real shame
    03-09-19 03:02 PM
    But the hub has devolved into an email app with a few notifications from social media... it's a real shame
    By a few, you mean 40.

But it never was a client for anything apart from email. That hasn't changed.

Google just won't provide the necessary permissions for 3rd party apps to access sent SMS messages any longer.
    03-09-19 03:04 PM
    By a few, you mean 40.

But it never was a client for anything apart from email. That hasn't changed.

Google just won't provide the necessary permissions for 3rd party apps to access sent SMS messages any longer.
    Give up ....it is not possible to please everyone, the fact that Blackberry android devices claim to be the most secure, provide innovative app (locker , Privacy Shade, notable etc) , their legendary keyboard both PKB and VKB is simply not enough to satisfy some people and no amount of explanation will change that and therein lies the pity ...
    TgeekB, bh7171 and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    03-09-19 03:11 PM
    The problem is once again the economics of the situation and that enough just don’t care. It’s a simple matter of $$$$$ and BB supporters don’t collectively have enough.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    03-09-19 03:15 PM
57 123