12-16-16 09:00 AM
35 12
tools
    Isn't it weird to see the US behind the curve?
    Just like with measurements, there is a World standard and a US Standard. Nobody likes to change, although even the UK has mostly adopted the metric standard.
    12-06-16 12:40 PM
    Infrastructure is not their strong point, just look at LaGuardia.
    12-06-16 12:42 PM
    I know Verizons plan to get rid of CDMA in full by 2019. What I'm more curious about is will we be able to run an unlocked phone on their network before the 2019 mark, or will we have to wait until they change their network completely?
    12-07-16 05:42 PM
    Hell we still don't use the metric system, but we're in good company, Myanmar (old Burma) and Liberia.
    12-12-16 05:43 PM
    I know Verizons plan to get rid of CDMA in full by 2019. What I'm more curious about is will we be able to run an unlocked phone on their network before the 2019 mark, or will we have to wait until they change their network completely?
    You can run a non CDMA phone on Verizon now, assuming they will allow it. Their LTE is GSM. but you'll prob run into a lot of places where it won't work well, as their rollout of LTE is not complete.
    12-12-16 05:47 PM
    At this point if Verizon does not put in an order for the mercury, then us Verizon users are out of luck.
    12-13-16 05:53 PM
    GSM and CDMA are digital, voice-only technologies that run at a fairly slow data rate - BUT run on special equipment that dedicates bandwidth for those connections so that you don't have constant quality drop-outs and other issues. It was great technology in the mid-1990s when it was being developed, but it's really obsolete and inefficient compared to what we have today. Also, the phone has to switch to using that "old, slow" radio when you make calls, and so that extra old-tech radio has to be built into every phone, along with the more modern high speed data radios (HSPA and LTE).

VoLTE is already up and running and many people are already using it (if they have a newer phone), but some equipment has to be changed out at each cell tower to support it, so it takes a while to roll out. If you have "HD Voice" or something like that available on some of your contacts, that's VoLTE - when you call those specific people, who are also on Verizon, the two of you connect using a higher-data-speed connection, with QoS (Quality of Service) to assure higher priority for your voice data, and your call quality sounds better as a result. You're also not stepping down to the CDMA radio on your phone.

The point is to get EVERYONE on VoLTE, because then CDMA can go away, and we can get a lot more efficient usage out of the frequencies CDMA radios are currently using by refarming those frequencies over to LTE - which will nearly double the amount of LTE bandwidth available and allow faster connections.

I can't say for sure - but the industry has been slowly moving towards unlimited calls and texts for a while already (most pre-paid users have unlimited calls and texts, at least domestically), and so, yes, it might move to an "all data" model. But that's really up to the carriers to decide.
    HD Voice is NOT VoLTE. That's just a different codec over UMTS.

I know because I get HD Voice all the time but Telus does not support VoLTE in Ontario, if at all.
    12-13-16 11:28 PM
    Theoretically, as long as the phone has the FDD-LTE bands that Verizon requires, the phone should work on the network right? You just would only be able to get LTE and not any other.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-16 07:12 PM
    Just like with measurements, there is a World standard and a US Standard. Nobody likes to change, although even the UK has mostly adopted the metric standard.
    And it's funny seeing as the UK created the imperial system

Posted via CB10
    12-15-16 07:14 PM
    Theoretically, as long as the phone has the FDD-LTE bands that Verizon requires, the phone should work on the network right? You just would only be able to get LTE and not any other.

Posted via CB10
    No. Verizon does not have a WCDMA or GSM fallback, they use EV-DO CDMA, which is a whitelist-based network. So it's either LTE or EV-DO.

Coincidentally, only phones support the Band 13 Verizon requires, except for some Nexus, are only sold by Verizon.
    12-16-16 09:00 AM
35 12