Is there any reasonable way to not have a Google account and still use the phone to near it's full potential?

I'm guessing not.

Or maybe one could use nothing but 3rd party apps and do very well?
    03-10-17 12:24 PM
    Is there any reasonable way to not have a Google account and still use the phone to near it's full potential?
    Depends on your definition of reasonable. There's certainly ways to set it up without actually having a Google account but, as you seem aware, you'll be left using 3rd party app stores and killing off a lot of integration.
    xandros9 and Superfly_FR like this.
    03-10-17 12:30 PM
    I've never tried to not have a google account, because I have lots of purchased apps in the Play Store. But what I have done recently since moving to Office365 Home is disable/remove most of the google apps - some I still keep because I absolutely love - like google maps- or need - like Play Movies for the kids.

I might be wrong on this, but I think you have to sign in to a google account to activate the phone. Again, might be wrong, as I've never attempted to do that.

But for the most part, aside from the Play Store and Maps, I've been able to remove most visible Google services.

To answer possible questions, using my outlook.com (Office 365) email in the Hub along with work email. Contacts Tasks and Calendar all come through outlook.com. Using OneNote and Wunderlist.
    dpgo likes this.
    03-10-17 12:33 PM

I'm guessing not.

If you really want a close to BB10 like experience with no app or OS updates except via side loading go for it, but otherwise use your Google account to keep your phone up to date and ignore all the Google apps and other Google options.

I minimize my use of Google Drive to useful backups and I use Outlook.com to sync and backup my contacts and calendar.
    john_v and anon(4243545) like this.
    03-10-17 12:34 PM

I'm guessing not.

You can, just have to rip all the apks for the files you need and updates will only work that way as well.
    03-10-17 02:32 PM
    You'll like it, trust me.
    The Google Photos, YouTube App, etc are SO convenient to have.

Do you just hate Google?

I don't like their CEOs politics or the fact they have become such a "need" online now but it is what it is unless you're going to present an alternative. IMHO.
    MyriadeCoh likes this.
    03-10-17 04:59 PM
    You could setup a dummy Google account and just use it for login and the basics then disable, delete and remove most of the Google apps and services...
    03-10-17 05:24 PM
    You could setup a dummy Google account and just use it for login and the basics then disable, delete and remove most of the Google apps and services...
    Or you could just carry on with BB10 forever.
    03-10-17 05:30 PM
    Probably the easiest way as for automatic Blackberry and security updates you are stuck with it. Unless you are into sideloading as mentioned before. A missed oppertunity imo BlackBerry is not running its own update and security services.

Anyway some write ups duckduckedgo before.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/using-a...ithout-google/

https://www.xda-developers.com/setti...ithout-google/

F-Droid really has a lot of good stuff. Well it serves me well enough.
    VeryBumpy likes this.
    03-11-17 01:52 AM
    Or you could just carry on with BB10 forever.
    BB10 is great, the phone speed is not. Only reason I want to upgrade to a KEYone is my Classic makes me wait too often.
    @johnsliderbb, thanks for the info, definitely food for thought.
    03-11-17 07:05 AM
    Depends on your definition of reasonable. There's certainly ways to set it up without actually having a Google account but, as you seem aware, you'll be left using 3rd party app stores and killing off a lot of integration.
    Also and this is much more important, the apps you will now download have a greater chance of a virus.
    app_Developer and john_v like this.
    03-12-17 09:18 AM
    Also and this is much more important, the apps you will now download have a greater chance of a virus.
    Which pretty much negates the reason for paying a premium for a more secure phone in the first place and demonstrates that the biggest security threat users face is often themselves.
    mbirth, Bla1ze, jakie55 and 3 others like this.
    03-12-17 09:59 AM
    I've never tried to not have a google account, because I have lots of purchased apps in the Play Store. But what I have done recently since moving to Office365 Home is disable/remove most of the google apps - some I still keep because I absolutely love - like google maps- or need - like Play Movies for the kids.

I might be wrong on this, but I think you have to sign in to a google account to activate the phone. Again, might be wrong, as I've never attempted to do that.

But for the most part, aside from the Play Store and Maps, I've been able to remove most visible Google services.

To answer possible questions, using my outlook.com (Office 365) email in the Hub along with work email. Contacts Tasks and Calendar all come through outlook.com. Using OneNote and Wunderlist.
    I've essentially done the same thing. If it said Google on it and I didn't absolutely have to do it it's been disabled
    john_v likes this.
    03-12-17 10:13 AM
    I'm somewhat baffled by people using Microsoft over Google, as if MS were any more trustworthy. Given Microsoft's behavior over the last couple of years in particular, I'd be inclined to trust Google more. Not that that's saying much, mind you, but at least they pretend not to be actively working against you.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-17 10:22 AM
    I guess you could also use Amazon app store (just like BB10) if you're trying to avoid GooglePlay for apps. Fdroid also has much, too, as has been noted

Posted via CB10
    03-12-17 10:38 AM
    I'm somewhat baffled by people using Microsoft over Google, as if MS were any more trustworthy. Given Microsoft's behavior over the last couple of years in particular, I'd be inclined to trust Google more. Not that that's saying much, mind you, but at least they pretend not to be actively working against you.

Posted via CB10
    For me it's not so much a matter of trust as it is a matter of being in a work environment that is solidly Microsoft. Makes for much easier integration with Coworkers.

I can and have used Google products. Can and have used apple/ios as well. Just comes down to personal choice. And having a choice of many products is a good thing.
    03-12-17 10:41 AM
    BB10 is great, the phone speed is not. Only reason I want to upgrade to a KEYone is my Classic makes me wait too often.
    @johnsliderbb, thanks for the info, definitely food for thought.
    Try a factory reset.

via Passport OG
    03-12-17 10:44 AM
    For me it's not so much a matter of trust as it is a matter of being in a work environment that is solidly Microsoft. Makes for much easier integration with Coworkers.
    Oh yeah. I use OneNote at work and it's pretty damn nice. Outside of work I don't have much use for it, or MS in general, and I'm gradually migrating away from Google wherever practical.
    portplayer likes this.
    03-12-17 11:16 AM
    CAN you? Yes. Exchange and other "outside" accounts will work through the Hub.

HOWEVER, you won't get updates. Including OS updates. Which you probably want.

So yeah, you can. Do you want to is the real question. If you're concerned about privacy implications set up a "dummy" account for the update purposes and then disable Play Services and all the other internal Google software (which you CAN do) most of the time -- turn it on only to get those updates, and only when in a place you don't mind Google knowing about, then turn them back off.

That's pretty close to bombproof but you will give up a lot, such as Google Maps and similar. There are ways around that too (e.g. load one of the on-SD-card map programs such as CoPilot, which is a one-time buy thing) but just do keep in mind the costs of that approach in terms of what you're trading off.
    Rodrigo Lourenco likes this.
    03-12-17 12:41 PM
    I already set up a dummy gmail account (with the back up email linked to another junk email) so I am ready for my KEYone.
    Rodrigo Lourenco likes this.
    03-12-17 01:09 PM
    For me I'll set up a dummy Google account just for the phone, I have a database of fake aliases with complete biographical details that I use anytime someone wants my ID info online.

I don't have a specific problem with Google, but I don't like to share more personal info Nathan absolutely necessary online.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    03-12-17 01:53 PM
    So how do you deal with Contacts? Can you import contacts and calendar to only the device and NOT sync them to the Google cloud?
    03-12-17 08:33 PM
    So how do you deal with Contacts? Can you import contacts and calendar to only the device and NOT sync them to the Google cloud?
    Before I moved from BB10 to BlackBerry Android I copied all my contacts to an Outlook.com and then setup that account in the HUB for contacts and calendar. This way you get an ongoing automatic backup independent of Google. You can also sync Outlook.com to Office Outlook.
    john_v and xandros9 like this.
    03-12-17 09:11 PM
    Before I moved from BB10 to BlackBerry Android I copied all my contacts to an Outlook.com and then setup that account in the HUB for contacts and calendar. This way you get an ongoing automatic backup independent of Google. You can also sync Outlook.com to Office Outlook.
    Right now on my BB10 Classic, everything is on device, contacts and calendar. No syncing either with an online account, I only sync email accounts.

Does Android have and do ONLY on device contacts and calendar?
    03-13-17 06:45 AM
    With the PRIV i did initially set it up without a google account and discovered pretty fast that it shuts you out of alot of the built in google services. Contacts, Calendar, and email are all tied together with the gmail account. However, if you chose not to use any of google services it will allow you to add any pop email.
    03-13-17 09:11 AM
72 123