Donno about that but when I saw the permissions list for the Amazon Underground app (where you get apps for free) I noped the hell out of there. Being an Android 4.x app, even on BB10 it was an all or nothing deal. I chose nothing!
    That's it. I forgot its name/scheme. I also VETOED it. I saw it as incredibly intrusive but hidden behind the scenes. I immediately stopped downloading their free(with not strings but ROPES attached).

There are apps that I want but I rather pay for them. I don't want the hidden terms. And again, maybe I did not look around enough but I could not see a way to avoid their terms. Buy Outright and not be subject to those terms.
    03-28-17 08:28 AM
    Maybe I've missed something but doesn't Amazon now have some special app scheme where they provide the apps for free but log everything/time you use the app to reward the developer?

Can you just pay directly for apps and not be tracked/logged by them?
    I don't really know for 100% certainty (and can't find anything googling), but it wouldn't make sense for them to make money that way. In most free apps, the dev is being paid by ads in the app. You can purchase apps on Amazon's App Store just like Google Play.

Now, what type of info the Amazon App Store App itself requests from your phone in permissions, that may be different. But, like any other app in Nougat, you can refuse to grant permission for whatever is requested. Nougat makes permissions *a lot* easier to refuse.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-28-17 08:59 AM
    OP - what is the point of having Android phone if you don't have all the features? Be realistic, BB10 crippled the way it's been without an ecosystem is miserable.

Basically, you want something for nothing. Whether it's Android, IOS, WP or BlackBerry OS, you have to pay for an ecosystem. In the old days you paid for it, buy paying for BIS/BES. With BB10, you pay with your information just like Android, IOS or WP. Regardless of your concerns, viewpoints and opinions. With no alternative OS that doesn't require data mining, your alternative is go back to a feature phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-17 09:10 AM
    I don't really know for 100% certainty (and can't find anything googling), but it wouldn't make sense for them to make money that way. In most free apps, the dev is being paid by ads in the app. You can purchase apps on Amazon's App Store just like Google Play.

Now, what type of info the Amazon App Store App itself requests from your phone in permissions, that may be different. But, like any other app in Nougat, you can refuse to grant permission for whatever is requested. Nougat makes permissions *a lot* easier to refuse.
    They're referring to Amazon Underground (already mentioned). Completely "free" apps to consumers, and the developer is compensated directly by Amazon based on stats.

IIRC, some premium apps can't even be purchased outright anymore on Amazon.

I can understand why that model gives some folks pause.
    03-28-17 09:11 AM
    They're referring to Amazon Underground (already mentioned). Completely "free" apps to consumers, and the developer is compensated directly by Amazon based on stats.

IIRC, some premium apps can't even be purchased outright anymore on Amazon.

I can understand why that model gives some folks pause.
    Ah, I see. I've been out of the loop with Amazon for a while I guess that would make sense, too. Thanks for clarifying (although I should have read the whole thread I guess lol).
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    03-28-17 09:22 AM
    OP - what is the point of having Android phone if you don't have all the features? Be realistic, BB10 crippled the way it's been without an ecosystem is miserable.

Basically, you want something for nothing. Whether it's Android, IOS, WP or BlackBerry OS, you have to pay for an ecosystem. In the old days you paid for it, buy paying for BIS/BES. With BB10, you pay with your information just like Android, IOS or WP. Regardless of your concerns, viewpoints and opinions. With no alternative OS that doesn't require data mining, your alternative is go back to a feature phone.

Posted via CB10
    I liked the "old days" when the money you spent on a product was the end of the transaction. No one was concerned with collecting your data and selling it to the highest bidder. Now it seems like I can't even rent a movie without someone caring about it. How many times I re-watch Breaking Bad is MY business!

As privacy becomes more and more relevant, on the consumer level, I'm really hoping that Android (and other OSs) move towards offering a subscription based solution. I'd gladly pay $5 a month straight to Google for private access to their services. While I very rarely use Facebook, I remember reading somewhere that if everyone paid $12/year, it would equal the revenue they make from collecting and using users' data. Worthwhile expense, in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by hoopitz; 03-28-17 at 10:10 AM.
    Rodrigo Lourenco likes this.
    03-28-17 09:49 AM
    You can have a dummy account, but if you're logged , your actions are being tracked... (i've seen this in myactivity)
    03-28-17 11:35 AM
    KEYone OR not having to deal with Google. Simple as that, given the locked down-ness of BlackBerry Android.
    03-28-17 12:26 PM
    And how exactly has "microsofts behaviour over the last couple of years" been worse than googles?

Microsoft doesn't snitch the CIA, they openly admit they farm your data (and not only can you switch most of it off, but soon you'll be able to switch all of it off, unlike google), and FB and google have basically tried to pretend for decades they don't.

Microsofts only error there was not trying to hide the fact and getting into the game late - if you consider that an error.

Is googles "switch to chrome now you bastards" really better every time you google something or use youtube, than the discreet (update to windows 10 if you want) in the bottom right hand corner?

I think not. That use google chrome notice makes me want to punch people at the google office.

And why are people so hard on Microsoft and so damned soft on people like facebook and google who have been datamining, being dishonest about it, pushing advertising and corporate agendas like drug pushers for ages?

How does the double standard even work?

And compared to Apple - they are all saints. At least Google and Microsoft aren't building damned walled gardens. Soon apple users will only be compatible with "Apple oxygen tm", and have to buy it straight from apple. lol

Who exactly in this bunch of money grabbing gangsters is supposed to be purer than?
    Rodrigo Lourenco likes this.
    03-29-17 07:06 AM
    Ive been reading alot of the responsed on here in this particular forum and its interesting to me why bother with android period if you don't want to use any of the google built in services which is tightly integrated into Nougat or any other android os for that matter. Setting up a dummy account is the way to go but then there is the issue of not getting the required security updates which also works tightly with bb security. If you've ever used an android device, android apps are usually in the forefront although you don't have to use any of them if you wish but then why would you use a device to a lesser potential. Google apps works great with the os and devices and can be accessible thru all devices like tablets for example. I have done this. But at the end of the day it still is an android device and android devices will do what android devices want to do os wise.
    04-10-17 11:42 AM
    That's it. I forgot its name/scheme. I also VETOED it. I saw it as incredibly intrusive but hidden behind the scenes. I immediately stopped downloading their free(with not strings but ROPES attached).

There are apps that I want but I rather pay for them. I don't want the hidden terms. And again, maybe I did not look around enough but I could not see a way to avoid their terms. Buy Outright and not be subject to those terms.
    I force close all the Amazon apps on BB10, and they generally only come back after a reboot, when I force close them again!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    04-10-17 01:24 PM
    And how exactly has "microsofts behaviour over the last couple of years" been worse than googles?
    To ask that question at all--have you even been paying attention to Microsoft's actions?

Microsoft doesn't snitch the CIA, they openly admit they farm your data (and not only can you switch most of it off, but soon you'll be able to switch all of it off, unlike google), and FB and google have basically tried to pretend for decades they don't.
    Right. They just send it to the NSA. And no, you won't. Telemetry cannot be turned off except in Enterprise versions of Windows 10.

Is googles "switch to chrome now you bastards" really better every time you google something or use youtube, than the discreet (update to windows 10 if you want) in the bottom right hand corner?

I think not. That use google chrome notice makes me want to punch people at the google office.

Google Chrome never force-installed itself on anybody. There's also quite a difference between a small ad in the corner of Google's homepage and adware being installed on your system by your OS vendor.

And why are people so hard on Microsoft and so damned soft on people like facebook and google who have been datamining, being dishonest about it, pushing advertising and corporate agendas like drug pushers for ages?

How does the double standard even work?
    You can avoid those. You can limit your exposure. You can very easily mitigate the issue.

When the problem is the OS that underlies everything you do however, there's very little you can do to mitigate that. The alternatives are not exactly practical.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-10-17 06:07 PM
    Hello,

I don't trust Google .... due to the fact that BBOS 10 is dead ... even if I love so much my Classic ... I have as a secondary phone a Priv.

I setup my Priv without a Google account.
    All Google apps are disabled.
    I use for app store and update F-Droid and Aptoid.

I'm hoping that android 7 will not change this and will let us the right to choose to not use Google intrusive services.

Kr,
    Moo
    04-13-17 11:23 AM
    Hello,

I don't trust Google .... due to the fact that BBOS 10 is dead ... even if I love so much my Classic ... I have as a secondary phone a Priv.

I setup my Priv without a Google account.
    All Google apps are disabled.
    I use for app store and update F-Droid and Aptoid.

I'm hoping that android 7 will not change this and will let us the right to choose to not use Google intrusive services.

Kr,
    Moo
    Just curiousity. How you get your security updates in?
    04-28-17 04:59 PM
    For me it's not so much a matter of trust as it is a matter of being in a work environment that is solidly Microsoft. Makes for much easier integration with Coworkers.

I can and have used Google products. Can and have used apple/ios as well. Just comes down to personal choice. And having a choice of many products is a good thing.
    You can use Microsoft Office 365 or Microsoft Office Mobile whether Google Services is enabled or disabled. It is not an either-or situation. Myself, I prefer a plain text editor and LaTeX along with Git for version control whether working alone or collaboratively.
    04-28-17 06:26 PM
    Hello,

I have disabled all google apps (chrome, sheets, ...), some google services (backup transport, ...), google-sync apps, (and made a lot of tests) ... because I do not consider buying a phone with an OS (1.6 Go) that need to be connected ever and ever and I think that I can made my life without "good advice from Google NGO".

I kept only google service framework and google play services (but it is death in the soul) to receive os and security update.

I did not registered any google account
    The only last thing I have is a f*** popup each time I switch on location named "Improve location accuracy" saying that google need you ... and that you need google .... I need to select disagree each time.

PS: I love so much my BB OS10 boowoowoo

Kr,
    Moo

Just curiousity. How you get your security updates in?
    05-03-17 06:39 AM
    Right now on my BB10 Classic, everything is on device, contacts and calendar. No syncing either with an online account, I only sync email accounts.

Does Android have and do ONLY on device contacts and calendar?
    What if you lose your phone?
    Btw you can have a Google dummie account and normal Gmail accounts. I use outlook email for syncing contacts. But whether its MS or Google or Apple your contacts are in the cloud.
    05-03-17 07:40 AM
    What if you lose your phone?
    File backups.
    05-03-17 07:46 AM
    Hello,

I have disabled all google apps (chrome, sheets, ...), some google services (backup transport, ...), google-sync apps, (and made a lot of tests) ... because I do not consider buying a phone with an OS (1.6 Go) that need to be connected ever and ever and I think that I can made my life without "good advice from Google NGO".

I kept only google service framework and google play services (but it is death in the soul) to receive os and security update.

I did not registered any google account
    The only last thing I have is a f*** popup each time I switch on location named "Improve location accuracy" saying that google need you ... and that you need google .... I need to select disagree each time.

PS: I love so much my BB OS10 boowoowoo

Kr,
    Moo
    Thanks.

Also no clue why maps needs any of this below.

Bodysensors?!? Just show the way annoying app.
    05-03-17 09:35 AM
    I can't say it too often: The best thing to do is to ALLOW these permissions but BLOCK Google Play Services with a firewall like AdGuard. I don't care what data Google Play Services collect when they can't send them home. Problem solved.

Also make sure to turn airplane mode ON before restarting your phone. After reboot AdGuard sets up a local VPN and after that you're free to turn airplane mode off again. Prevents data leaks.
    05-03-17 10:44 AM
    Hello,

I have tried this ... Allow permissions to bypass this popup notification ... hopping after I can set the location Mode to "Device only" but .... as Android is stubborn ... every times location is switched on it keep "High accuracy" ! (need to purge all/each cache many times to come back )

Thanks for the tip but what about system update using AdGuard ?
    Are you talking about this app from xda-dev : https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...-root-t2958895

If you block Google Play Services to send data (Unless the urls/hosts are different between updates servers and collect servers) how to update ?

I'm thinking about using Netguard or NetPatch Firewall.

I'm using Aptoid to update apps including system apps but this does not work for OS Update.

Thanks in advance for your advices

I can't say it too often: The best thing to do is to ALLOW these permissions but BLOCK Google Play Services with a firewall like AdGuard. I don't care what data Google Play Services collect when they can't send them home. Problem solved.

Also make sure to turn airplane mode ON before restarting your phone. After reboot AdGuard sets up a local VPN and after that you're free to turn airplane mode off again. Prevents data leaks.
    05-03-17 12:40 PM
    Since now owning a KEYone, I have given up trying to block 'the Google'. Getting work done gets too impeded; the work arounds waste time.

I still however have anything I don't use or need Uninstaller or disabled.
    06-10-17 07:40 AM
72 123