I'm confused by what I've read on the Blackberry website and others. Blackberry, I believe, says that Android updates (Oreo, etc) will come to the KeyONE if you buy the phone through the Shop Blackberry service. When you go to that webpage, you see that you have the choice of buying the phone from AT&T, Sprint, or unlocked from Amazon and Best Buy.

So, will the phone purchased from any of those providers get Android updates? There doesn't seem to be a way to buy the phone directly from Blackberry.

I've been put off in the past by Android and AT&T, waiting patiently but ultimately in vain for Android updates. One reason I switched to a Windows Phone is because I am able to get a steady stream of updates directly from Microsoft. But since MS doesn't seem to be interested in Windows Phone anymore, the KeyONE is my first choice. I just want to make sure that I won't be stranded with the version of Android and Blackberry that comes with the phone at time of purchase. Thanks.
    09-11-17 03:59 PM
    Currently, Oreo has been announced as an update for the KEYone at some later date. If you want the updates without the carrier holdups, buy from Amazon or Best Buy and buy non-carrier-branded KEYone's, which are considered /factory/ unlocked. BlackBerry Mobile doesn't sell the KEYone directly through their own shops.
    09-11-17 04:49 PM
    yes it will.

2 more.
    09-11-17 04:51 PM
    I would assume it will continue to get security updates but no major OS updates UNLESS PROVEN OTHERWISE.

Get unlocked if you can, otherwise it's going to be a bit of a crapshoot.

Anyways, the Priv got one major OS update (which is below par actually) but apologists will be quick to point that there are different companies at work behind the scenes despite the BlackBerry name.

The DTEKs look like they're going to be abandoned with zero major OS updates, and I would suspect the KEYone will either get none (like the test-drive DTEKs) or one, unless they're serious about being in the phone business.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-11-17 05:43 PM
    Pretty sure they'll all get the update sooner or later.
    What I'm not quite sure is whether the phone will be able to handle newer OS's with the miserable 3GB of ram it's got on board
    09-11-17 05:51 PM
    Going forward, expect BBMo (TCL-made BB) phones to get ONE major OS update and 2 years of security updates based on the launch date of the phone (not based on when YOU buy it).

It is very unlikely that these phones will get 2 major updates, and TCL has only promised 2 years of security updates. You MAY get more of those or you may not, but don't expect more.
    09-11-17 06:26 PM
    Going forward, expect BBMo (TCL-made BB) phones to get ONE major OS update and 2 years of security updates based on the launch date of the phone (not based on when YOU buy it).

It is very unlikely that these phones will get 2 major updates, and TCL has only promised 2 years of security updates. You MAY get more of those or you may not, but don't expect more.
    Pixels already have their Oreo. As for BBMobile, I am waiting until winter for the KEYONE to be receiving Oreo. I'm optimistic that by November 2018 the KEYONE will be receiving Peppermint or whatever Android P will be called. Just a hunch.

I think the Pixel is supposed to receive P by its second anniversary on the market, which would be October, 2018.

Posted via CB10 from my 100-4 Passport SE
    09-11-17 06:38 PM

TCL actually committed to a minimum of two years of updates. But it's not entirely clear what that means one way or the other.
    09-11-17 06:44 PM
    TCL actually committed to a minimum of two years of updates. But it's not entirely clear what that means one way or the other.
    Right... which is why I think people need to maintain REALISTIC expectations, which I've outlined above. Realistically, TCL will not be motivated to move K1's up to Android P in 16 months - the phone will be virtually 2 years old at that point and they'll want people buying a new phone. That's just business, and even most of the "big boys" don't do more than that in the Android world (a few do 2 updates on a couple of flagship models only). My LG G4 was a flagship at the time, and it was upgraded to Marshmallow, but only South Korea got the Nougat update, and I'm not holding out any hope that it will eventually arrive for me. Not that it matters - I'm pre-ordering a V30 next week.

I'm not saying that TCL will absolutely, positively not do a second major OS upgrade - I'm saying that the odds are strongly against it and folks here should NOT get their hopes up high, because we all know where that leads.
    09-11-17 07:17 PM
    I'm hoping for at least Oreo, then whatever P is as a bonus, security updates until Google stops providing them, and the OS is left in a usable state, i.e. fast for the device with an OS optimized for it and no bugs that were introduced by BlackBerry themselves. If there are outstanding bugs introduced by BlackBerry, I would hope the fixes will extend beyond two years.
    09-11-17 07:24 PM
    Oreo confirmed
    09-11-17 07:34 PM
    I'm not saying that TCL will absolutely, positively not do a second major OS upgrade - I'm saying that the odds are strongly against it and folks here should NOT get their hopes up high, because we all know where that leads.
    Agreed.
    09-11-17 07:43 PM
    yes it will.

2 more.
    What are you basing this on?
    09-11-17 07:49 PM
    What are you basing this on?

Will the KEYone be getting future Android updates-426563d1499305781t-keyone-will-get-minimum-2-year-support-10661.jpg

BlackBerry Mobile promised 24 months of security updates. No statements on OS updates other than Android O?
    xandros9 likes this.
    09-11-17 08:44 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	426563d1499305781t-keyone-will-get-minimum-2-year-support-10661.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	429706

BlackBerry Mobile promised 24 months of security updates. No statements on OS updates other than Android O?
    That's correct. Which is why I recommended that people *assume* that that's the extent of the update commitment from TCL - because that is in fact likely to be the extent of that support, though they may continue to offer security updates for a while beyond the 2-year mark, and they may not.
    xandros9 likes this.
    09-11-17 09:36 PM
    *Sarcasm*

Does this mean my 1976 El Camino won't get upgraded to fuel injection?
    FF22 likes this.
    09-12-17 01:41 AM
    Yes, but it is still more fun to drive than my 2017 Ford
    FF22 likes this.
    09-12-17 06:43 AM