I have no idea what the added value is of these extreme tests and messing up perfectly good devices (that cost money) -

The only thing remotely useful is a drop test.

Some of the other stress tests are just silly and no representation of people handling their phone with care.

Anyone stupid enough to put their phone in pants that are too tight for their BMI and sit their overweight behinds on their precious phone can only expect it to get damaged.

I see no one bending their BMW around a pole just to test if it will bend.

Take care of your goods and you'll be fine.

My 2 cents.
    Last edited by IQ Business Company; 06-10-17 at 10:21 AM.
    06-10-17 10:05 AM
    This goes without saying that the extreme tests IMO have no real bearing on your average, daily use. Having a screen protection on my devices from day1 and some sort of case, preferably Otter Box, if available, have always protected my phones without a hitch, even though they are going through plenty of tough challenges on daily bases. I never had even a cracked screen. These extreme tests are irrelevant for me,
    06-10-17 10:19 AM
    BMW does bend their cars with crash tests. Maybe each phone manufacturer should do their own tests and put them on display as well as a 'bend test' and 'drop test' rating.
    06-10-17 05:53 PM
    What's with the cigarette lighter. How about a propane torch or a little oxy/acetylene?
    FF22 likes this.
    06-10-17 09:19 PM
    You're missing the entire point of his videos. He doesn't do these things to replicate daily use of the device. The guy is not an *****, he's actually really smart. What he's doing is doing different stress tests on the phone to show how well the phone is built. Of course he knows that no one is going to hold a lighter up to a phone and burn it. But if he tests 10 different phones, and 9 of them recover from the flame and 1 doesn't he would make the assumption that the phone had a cheap screen and that it was less quality than the other 9 that were built.

And I can guarantee you that if that screen issue hadn't popped up and the device had passed the test that people in here would constantly be saying things like "Built like a tank" and praising his work.
    06-10-17 09:23 PM
    I want to know how they afford to destroy a perfectly good device.
    06-10-17 09:34 PM
    I want to know how they afford to destroy a perfectly good device.
    Check the number of views he gets on YouTube. He doesnt do this for any other reason then views and revenue for himself.
    06-10-17 09:38 PM
    You're missing the entire point of his videos. He doesn't do these things to replicate daily use of the device. The guy is not an *****, he's actually really smart. What he's doing is doing different stress tests on the phone to show how well the phone is built. Of course he knows that no one is going to hold a lighter up to a phone and burn it. But if he tests 10 different phones, and 9 of them recover from the flame and 1 doesn't he would make the assumption that the phone had a cheap screen and that it was less quality than the other 9 that were built.

And I can guarantee you that if that screen issue hadn't popped up and the device had passed the test that people in here would constantly be saying things like "Built like a tank" and praising his work.
    As if we don't know the intended purpose of these videos.

They are just irrelevant. People will hopefully not refrain from buying a certain type of phone just because it broke 2 seconds faster in a stress test that is no representation of everyday use.

I can break any phone in under 10 seconds. What does that prove... Nothing other that you probably should hand me your phone
    06-11-17 02:13 AM
    BMW does bend their cars with crash tests. Maybe each phone manufacturer should do their own tests and put them on display as well as a 'bend test' and 'drop test' rating.
    Good point.
    Some of the tests are really exagerated, but drop testing, bend testing and exposing the Phone to Some high/low temperatures like if you forgot the Phone incide your car on summer or you go to Norway on December should be done and rated.
    I remember my Google Nexus' (the one curves and made by Samsung) screen and camera getting blueish colors while trekking on a cold day in the pyrinees...

Posted via CB10
    06-11-17 04:17 AM
    Thing is, if he'd apply measured force, we could compare different devices' "back pocket capability". But without that, you can merely guess. And IMHO he needed a LOT of force to finally bend the K1. But yeah, can't compare that to other phones without having some numbers.
    06-11-17 05:00 AM