Anyone here have a KEYone that is not bought from Rogers but you are using it on the Rogers network?

With the latest November update, I got an option to activate WiFi calling but when I go to register, it says your device is not supported.

I heard Rogers WiFi calling is only available to devices that are either bought through Rogers or locked to the Rogers network.

But with the new law in Canada, as of Dec 1st, all devices now must be sold unlocked in Canada...that shouldn't be relevant anymore.

Just wanting to see if anyone has any experience with this and if there is any way around this, before I waste my time with the pathetic customer service of Rogers.
    andy957 likes this.
    12-14-17 08:06 PM
    Anyone here have a KEYone that is not bought from Rogers but you are using it on the Rogers network?

With the latest November update, I got an option to activate WiFi calling but when I go to register, it says your device is not supported.

I heard Rogers WiFi calling is only available to devices that are either bought through Rogers or locked to the Rogers network.

But with the new law in Canada, as of Dec 1st, all devices now must be sold unlocked in Canada...that shouldn't be relevant anymore.

Just wanting to see if anyone has any experience with this and if there is any way around this, before I waste my time with the pathetic customer service of Rogers.
    Carrier unlocked is not the same as factory unlocked. Even with factory unlocked devices, carriers may block certain feature like WiFi calling. This is the case with the KEYone on AT&T for instance.
    12-14-17 09:32 PM
    Yeah what a nuisance. I just got off the phone with a Rogers technical support agent and at first he was surprised, you still have a BlackBerry? not many people use them anymore blah blah blah...

and he put me on hold for 15 minutes and came back to tell me that he talked to his supervisor and he said all android phones and iPhone are supported by Rogers for WiFi calling but BlackBerry is a different beast all together and Rogers does not support BlackBerry for WiFi calling...factory unlocked or not...
    12-14-17 09:37 PM
    Yeah what a nuisance. I just got off the phone with a Rogers technical support agent and at first he was surprised, you still have a BlackBerry? not many people use them anymore blah blah blah...

and he put me on hold for 15 minutes and came back to tell me that he talked to his supervisor and he said all android phones and iPhone are supported by Rogers for WiFi calling but BlackBerry is a different beast all together and Rogers does not support BlackBerry for WiFi calling...factory unlocked or not...
    You got bad info. BlackBerry is just considered Android phone like any other. If what rep said is true, buy new sim and tell Rogers it's for Android phone, pick any other device. Then, put SIM in your BlackBerry.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-15-17 03:54 AM
    Or perhaps try again and emphasize that this Blackberry is an Android phone not a Blackberry OS phone. Sometimes its like talking to a brick wall.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-15-17 04:36 AM
    Have called twice now and wasted over 30 minutes each time with Rogers...keep getting the same answer...they keep saying it doesn't matter if my BlackBerry runs Android, WiFi calling is not supported for ANY BlackBerry device, period.
    12-15-17 02:26 PM
    They probably think you still need BIS. LOL
    12-16-17 10:33 PM
    Even the Keyone Rogers sells doesn't support Wifi calling on their own network. VoLTE is a different matter all together, and that IS something that the CRTC should be investigating. White-listing IMEIs is garbage.
    12-17-17 10:03 PM
    Perhaps Blackberry Mobile support could help. You don't have to call; you can email them which is considerably less painful and time consuming.
    12-18-17 04:01 AM
    I've never needed wifi calling but am planning to travel over the holidays so (forced myself) to contact Sprint. They confirmed that wifi calling is avail on my K1 and immediately provisioned it. Agree that someone needs to re-educate Rogers.
    12-18-17 04:52 AM
    I have a Rogers locked device and installed AAR970 and low and behold, wifi calling was listed as an option under "Wireless and Networks". I set it up and it works great. Shortly there after, AAS212 was released which I understand is the NA version so I installed it. Guess what? Wifi calling was no longer an option. I have re-installed AAR970 and it is back. I looks to me like the NA carriers have something against supporting Wifi calling on our beautiful devices. The oddest part is when I click the "Manage Wi-Fi Calling option to setup an emergency number, it browses to Rogers configuration page for Wifi calling.

J...
    12-18-17 06:47 AM
    I've never needed wifi calling but am planning to travel over the holidays so (forced myself) to contact Sprint. They confirmed that wifi calling is avail on my K1 and immediately provisioned it. Agree that someone needs to re-educate Rogers.
    I don't think Verizon has been as cooperative!!! I don't see any place to enable it.
    12-18-17 09:31 AM
    I have a Rogers locked device and installed AAR970 and low and behold, wifi calling was listed as an option under "Wireless and Networks". I set it up and it works great. Shortly there after, AAS212 was released which I understand is the NA version so I installed it. Guess what? Wifi calling was no longer an option. I have re-installed AAR970 and it is back. I looks to me like the NA carriers have something against supporting Wifi calling on our beautiful devices. The oddest part is when I click the "Manage Wi-Fi Calling option to setup an emergency number, it browses to Rogers configuration page for Wifi calling.

J...

I guess I'll have to wait for the update, I'm still @ AAQ837
    12-18-17 09:46 AM
    I guess I'll have to wait for the update, I'm still @ AAQ837
    Odds are you will get AAS212 which doesn't have WIFI calling. You can use the Autoloader for AAR970 and do a non-destructive manual update. Note that most likely you would need to do another manual update down the road in order to get future OTA updates as I don't believe AAR970 will ever be officially available for Rogers.

J...
    12-18-17 09:51 AM
    I don't think Verizon has been as cooperative!!! I don't see any place to enable it.
    For some reason, the setting is not there unless you specifically request the service. At least, that is the case with Sprint. I had to contact their customer service to have wifi calling "added to my plan" even though there is no charge for this service.
    12-18-17 10:06 AM
    For some reason, the setting is not there unless you specifically request the service. At least, that is the case with Sprint. I had to contact their customer service to have wifi calling "added to my plan" even though there is no charge for this service.
    I think some folks have contacted Verizon and it is not available. And I've got a very old grandfathered plan and don't get many benefits.
    12-18-17 11:42 AM

J...
    Very interesting share.

Given how voLTE is configured and provisioned on Rogers' end, I imagine that an unlocked device wouldn't be able to get WiFi calling to work, even with AAR970. After escalating my case many times at Rogers, the only information they would share with me on why unlocked devices couldn't be IMEI white listed on their network to use voLTE was because the device needs to be added to the database BEFORE it goes live on the network. Once a phone connects to the Rogers' network and it's IMEI is logged, it's apparently impossible to retroactively white list that device for voLTE. I have no way of knowing if this is true or just more BS.
    12-18-17 01:31 PM
    ^ It's pure BS on their part. That's the story they gave you...and they keep telling me I can't have WiFi calling because I have a BlackBerry. they said WiFi calling would work if I got ANY other iPhone or Android device, factory unlocked or not, doesn't matter.
    12-18-17 01:43 PM
    Thought I would post this here that Roger's wifi calling is working on my key one after following this post. I installed AAR970 using my PC. it took less than 5 minutes. all my apps and settings were intact. just have to turn on the wifi options in the settings. click the register device option and follow the instructions after it takes you to Rogers website. once you are on wifi calling, a special wifi calling sign shows up on the top ar only when in the call.
    the other improvement i noticed is that now my LTE sign fully lits up now as oppose to dim before.
    this build does run smooth, i did have to turn the wifi calling on and off couple times, when it showed a sign saying that my wifi calling not working, toggled the wifi calling option on off, it started working again. it runs fairly smooth now.

Thanks Conite. I will give it a try. Lucky most I have in the cloud but not my hub accounts.

UPDATE: I read everything how to install it without wipe.

First if you combined your SD card with the internal Memory you will wipe your SD Card.

The only thing then is: dowload thurask file for your device. EU
    - password NONE - so clear your password to none
    - clear cache - I used All in one toolbox (read some people had issues with apps, clearing cache was working)
    - press power button an volume down both for 30 seconds and you get in some bootup
    - connect your device
    - execute the Flashallnowipe
    - wait a few minutes and it will restart and you will see a long time triangles,rounds etc. let it run.

That's it easy enough and everything is still there. Thanks Conite to let me know there were no wipe autoloaders and ofcourse Thurask
    OriginalLucy likes this.
    02-10-18 04:10 PM
    Good to hear. As for Rogers, I contacted support and they stated that it is not available nor will it be in the near future. Canadian and US carriers are greedy bastards! WiFi calling is available in most regions globally. I know this is not a popular thought here, but we are sheep! The carriers do this, because they can, why?, because we allow them. Sad, but true! Cheers,
    02-10-18 05:17 PM
    Great thread. Edit: Got it working after installing the update. I had to register for the Wifi Service. I had to confirm with a 6 digit code sent via SMS. I also had to provide an address for contact information. Can't wait to try it out in our underground subway system which has some wifi hotspots with really fast internet. Edit: It only connects at work and home. It will NOT connect with the underground internet (TCONNECT) in our subway system (TTC in Toronto, Canada). I understand there are many possible reasons.
    Last edited by wormycoolness; 02-13-18 at 08:13 PM.
    sidhuk likes this.
    02-11-18 09:52 AM
    I can't thank you enough for this post. I was ready to go back to my PRIV from the K1 because I wasn't able to make a reliable signal in my house. I'm on Fido and recently bought the K1 and love it, except my carrier signal became inconsistent at home. I work from home so I need to receive my text messages and phone calls. I found this thread and now am on WiFi calling with Fido and able to keep this beauty of a BlackBerry K1. Thank you!!!!!!!!!
    02-11-18 11:48 AM

I recently switched to the BE and because it is not originally a ROgers device, IMS, VOLTE, video calling, and wifi calling does not work.
    02-11-18 01:33 PM
    You got bad info. BlackBerry is just considered Android phone like any other. If what rep said is true, buy new sim and tell Rogers it's for Android phone, pick any other device. Then, put SIM in your BlackBerry.
    tried this and still does not work!Just so ya know!
    02-11-18 01:34 PM
    just to confirm that I have this for over a week now. wifi calling works fine with occasionally dropped wifi call service. when wifi calling available or not, there is a logo shows up in the top bar. it also shows on screen when call is in progress.
    wormycoolness likes this.
    02-17-18 10:18 AM
30 12