I checked the LTE bands and the CDMA version supports all carrier bands except most of Sprint and one AT&T band.

So why get the GSM version when all you can do is get a phone that is compatible with all major US networks so you can switch provider easier if needed.

Does anybody agree with me?
    06-08-17 11:56 PM
    Because the CDMA version does not exist and will not be available for weeks, if not months.
    06-09-17 12:22 AM
    Its good point. The Verizon iphone 5s onward was able to be used on att/tmobile networks without issues.
    06-09-17 12:47 AM
    You also need to look at the GSM voice frequencies that are supported as well the LTE data bands. I believe the CDMA version supports the European rather than the North American GSM frequencies.

It all depends on where you are and which bands and frequencies you may need to use.
    06-09-17 12:48 AM
    You also need to look at the GSM voice frequencies that are supported as well the LTE data bands. I believe the CDMA version supports the European rather than the North American GSM frequencies.

It all depends on where you are and which bands and frequencies you may need to use.
    Yep, the GSM model will work much better on At&t and T Mobile.
    06-09-17 12:58 AM
    T-Mobile is touting the roll out of band 12 - missing from the CDMA version.
    Still waiting for my CDMA unit from Amazon...
    06-09-17 01:10 AM
    Yep, the GSM model will work much better on At&t and T Mobile.
    In case I order Keyone from the Amazon in the US, will the GSM model work well in AFRICA's net works?

Posted via CB10
    06-09-17 01:23 AM
    In case I order Keyone from the Amazon in the US, will the GSM model work well in AFRICA's net works?
    CDMA is still being used in some areas of Africa, so you need to check which networks you plan to use.

As for the GSM models, I think you'll find that the North American BBB100-1 "US-V1" model includes all the the LTE bands and GSM frequencies as the European BBB100-2 EMEA model.
    06-09-17 10:08 AM
    No Band 12 (and the equivalentt low-frequency AT&T band) and you will be VERY unhappy once you get away from large cities. In rural areas no low-frequency service means NO SERVICE AT ALL!
    06-09-17 11:04 AM
    T-Mobile is touting the roll out of band 12 - missing from the CDMA version.
    Still waiting for my CDMA unit from Amazon...
    Missing since when?

"... US V2

LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 20, 25, 26,28, 29, 30

TDD LTE: 41

CDMA BC 0,1,10
    "
    https://www.blackberrymobile.com/us/specifications.php

Band 12 is there plain as day. The major carrier band missing is 17 of ATT; not T-mobile.

A Cheat Sheet with the major focus bands:
    Cheat sheet: which 4G LTE bands do AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint use in the USA?
    06-10-17 04:52 AM
    Not having all of the AT&T bands is a pretty big reason why.
    06-10-17 06:12 AM
    well there a bunch of us who ordered the CDMA version from amazon and we all got emails yesterday stating our phones will be delivered this tuesday June 13! so yea, it exists
    phuoc likes this.
    06-10-17 09:57 AM
    cdma got better coverage in US if I am not mistaken. however, it might be a bit more power hungrey - your battery might be lasting a bit short. in addition, 2021-2023 it might be on the way out (some places already transition to LTE). If my area coverage is sufficient for both, I'll select GSM. IMHO. provide you don't have to go to ATT store, or T-mobil store to see the ugly face of anti BB sales...
    rkanazawa likes this.
    06-10-17 12:51 PM
    I agree with OP. Assuming I don't care about the carrier that uses band 17:

If I get CDMA, I get Verizon + all the rest of GSM carriers.
    If I get GSM, I only get the rest of GSM carriers.

Neither variant supports Sprint. There are always other GSM carriers that don't need band 17.

So getting GSM is just restricting your choices, especially since they are both priced the same.

It seems to me that unless you are currently on carrier that needs band 17, you should be ordering CDMA
    06-10-17 03:08 PM
    My CDMA shipped today from Amazon and is arriving Tuesday
    06-10-17 03:36 PM
    Just got mine from Best Buy and with a little mix up at the office I'm using it with a T-Mobile SIM for now and it works beautifully
    Judyam likes this.
    06-15-17 01:20 AM
    I wish that Blackberry mobile would produce a North America version of their phones that supports all the GSM and CDMA frequencies. From a consumer standpoint that would be heaven, as you can switch carriers without having to get a new phone.
    06-15-17 10:29 AM
    I wish that Blackberry mobile would produce a North America version of their phones that supports all the GSM and CDMA frequencies. From a consumer standpoint that would be heaven, as you can switch carriers without having to get a new phone.
    But that would make sense

Taking the S8 as an example the models for the USA and Canada are mechanically identical, with the active SIM card/lock determining band support, I believe. Unlocking, say, a T-Mobile S8 and putting it on Verizon should open up CDMA support.
    06-15-17 10:33 AM