Using AT&T BlackBerry KEYone (Android 8.1.0) and OliveTree Bible Study app (7.4.2.0). In account settings and storage options, when the storage location is changed from internal memory to external SD card, the app refuses to sync. It should work to sync notes, highlights, annotations, etc. It does work when storage location is set to internal memory, but fails when set to external SD card. I have tested the app on other Android devices, and it works. It appears to be a device-specific problem. Why?
    01-10-19 08:48 AM
    Using AT&T BlackBerry KEYone (Android 8.1.0) and OliveTree Bible Study app (7.4.2.0). In account settings and storage options, when the storage location is changed from internal memory to external SD card, the app refuses to sync. It should work to sync notes, highlights, annotations, etc. It does work when storage location is set to internal memory, but fails when set to external SD card. I have tested the app on other Android devices, and it works. It appears to be a device-specific problem. Why?
    It's not supposed to work from portable storage. It's a security thing introduced with Marshmallow.

Edit: I just re-read your question. You're not actually trying to run the app from the SD card.

Maybe a bad card or a missing permission? There is nothing intrinsically different about the KEY² from other android devices in this regard.
    01-10-19 02:56 PM
    I tried changing the permissions for the app, setting permission for 'storage' to "On". Then, changed the storage location setting in the app to external card. App restarted and didn't work. Rebooted phone and still didn't work. Then, within the app, moved data back to 'internal memory' and it works fine.

Maybe next step would be to try another storage card. Doubtful that it will fix problem.

Download app and try it for yourself. Interested to know what you'd find.
    01-10-19 06:15 PM
    I tried changing the permissions for the app, setting permission for 'storage' to "On". Then, changed the storage location setting in the app to external card. App restarted and didn't work. Rebooted phone and still didn't work. Then, within the app, moved data back to 'internal memory' and it works fine.

Maybe next step would be to try another storage card. Doubtful that it will fix problem.

Download app and try it for yourself. Interested to know what you'd find.
    Seems to work fine.

Edit: I stand corrected. Editing features don't seem to work on SD card.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Contact the developer.
    01-10-19 06:42 PM
    If it's device-specific, what is a developer supposed to do? I should have my brother test the app with his Moto Z to see if it works on Android there. By the way, thanks for testing it for me. Does that rule out the possibility of me having a bad SD card?
    01-10-19 09:07 PM
    If it's device-specific, what is a developer supposed to do? I should have my brother test the app with his Moto Z to see if it works on Android there. By the way, thanks for testing it for me. Does that rule out the possibility of me having a bad SD card?
    It can't be KEY² specific. It must be affecting a range of devices that handle adoptable/portable storage in the same way. It doesn't hurt to ask them.

SD card problem is ruled out.
    01-10-19 09:44 PM
    Just off phone with brother who confirmed it works fine using SD card on his Moto G5 Plus. Maybe it is BlackBerry specific! But, why!?
    01-10-19 10:02 PM
    Just off phone with brother who confirmed it works fine using SD card on his Moto G5 Plus. Maybe it is BlackBerry specific! But, why!?
    Moto handles adoptable/portable differently. There are several ways of handling it, and there are a number of devices in each camp. It would seem that the app is only coded to work properly with some, but not all.
    01-10-19 10:04 PM
    Looks then like I need to contact the developer like you said. Thanks so very much for your input!
    01-10-19 10:06 PM