Put simply, if BlackBerry is going to release a second Android device, it definitely needs to be in the form factor of the Classic. This is still the iconic form factor of BlackBerry devices and they would be foolish to not capitalize on it in their foray into Android.

The PRIV was a great device but ultimately I don't think they are going to see the success they want because not everyone likes sliders. Had they released the Vienna as their first Android device, I think things would have been very different today...... but hindsight is always 20/20, right?

So why should the Vienna be their next Android device? Because there is no competition or even "memorable" device in the category.

Can you name any Android, physical QWERTY, bar phones that were any good? No, you can't because there were none. But there were a few crapshots like the Samsung Galaxy Chat, HTC ChaCha and the Samsung Galaxy Pro. These devices were absolutely terrible though! Almost like a slap in the face to anyone who bought one. Even for the time, using Android on these devices was a horrible experience and this was because Android just wasn't designed for screens that small. Yes, the OS can scale to anything but there's a line between acceptable and ridiculous. Just go look at some youtube videos of these devices, you will cringe and stop the videos before they end.

Images courtesy of GSM Arena

(See a list of past Android, QWERTY, bar devices here)

Of course I WANT the Vienna to happen but I think more importantly, BlackBerry needs the Vienna to happen. Yes, they've had some bumps and bruises down this windy road but if we are actually coming to the end of the line in regards to hardware being released by BlackBerry, then I think they should go all out on this device. Give the people the Vienna but not a watered down PRIV (in regards to specs), give us something that's just as good, if not better than, the PRIV (cue PRIV owners crying blasphemy). Whatever BlackBerry releases next, they need a hit. I believe BlackBerry can step in and create a device that is not only iconic but has the productivity/usability that people expect from the brand.

See mock-ups of the Vienna size here, here and here

Now if only someone can talk to BlackBerry to tell them the Vienna needs the Classic/Bold keyboard style...

(Disclaimer: There are some hardcore rumor-sleuths who will that claim that the Vienna no longer exist. I get it, you heard from your mother's, brother's, sister-in-law's, step-sheep that it was cancelled. Rumors are rumors and the last solid rumor we heard were renders of the Vienna. I say solid because Crackberry posted about it here. Yes, they could be wrong but I'll take that over internet-hearsay any day. Carry on.)
    asublimeday likes this.
    03-22-16 10:28 AM

So why should the Vienna be their next Android device? Because there is no competition or even "memorable" device in the category.

And why is there no competition?
    03-22-16 11:12 AM
    And why is there no competition?
    There's no competition because on the Android platform, no one could produce a quality PKB device. They all gave up around 2010-2012 (depending on OEM). If you actually go to the link I posted that shows a list of PKB devices, they all kinda have a similar keyboard style which sucks. People try them and then they swear off them. BlackBerry has the precision (and patented) design that would make people buy in.
    asublimeday likes this.
    03-22-16 12:58 PM
    There's no competition because on the Android platform, no one could produce a quality PKB device. They all gave up around 2010-2012 (depending on OEM). If you actually go to the link I posted that shows a list of PKB devices, they all kinda have a similar keyboard style which sucks. People try them and then they swear off them. BlackBerry has the precision (and patented) design that would make people buy in.
    Maybe, and then maybe not...

I do expect the Vienna (or something with a PKB) will show up. And if it's priced right might be very popular among those that are heavy text entry users... especially in still developing markets. But if it's $200 over the market value, like the PRIV is today.... it won't matter how good the keyboard is.
    CheckWriter likes this.
    03-22-16 01:39 PM